American University

« See more reviews of American University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

American University is known by the other private schools in Washington, DC as being overly homosexualized. I would say this stereotype is not only wrong, it's discriminative and portrays prejudices. I think American University gets this stereotype because of the load voice of many of its students who advocate equal rights for all members of the LGBTI society.

The stereotype is that we're all obsessed with politics. It's not very accurate- though I would say the majority of students are politically aware, we're not all politically active. Being in DC makes it easy to get involved in politics (like interning on the Hill or volunteering at the White House), but AU students have a variety of interests.

The stereotype of students at American U is that they are among the most active students in the country. This includes not only activities on campus, but their work with non-profits, the government, private sector, etc. Based on the students that I have interacted with and my own work, I think that this is an accurate sentiment.

The stereotype here at American University is that most guys are gay, and that there is a lot of Jewish people, including myself. There is also the stereotype that people at American did not get into Georgetown or George Washington, so they ended up going to American. The main stereotype is that most of the students are rich.

Yes. This stereotype is accurate. AU is one of the most politically active universities in the US, and not just in terms of domestic politics There are just as many who follow and are vocal about international news. Our student organizations get some of the best, and most relevant, people to come speak to the student body.

Bleeding heart liberal political activists who want to "change the system" with their Hill internship. Or, for the cherished few, a nice rabbelrousing protest! Constantly hustling for money for starving children in XYZ developing country and pretending to care about The Poors. As long as you don't send them to Anacostia!

I really wouldn't say my school has a stereotype. Everyone at American University is really friendly and accepting of everyone. I think the thing that most unites AU students is their shared sense of passion, drive, and spirit. I know sounds ridiculously cheesy, but its true.

We are a private school filled with a lot of rich, international kids I dont know about the rich kid part though there are kids who do have a lot of money. Our school does have a TON of international students who go here

Passionate and actively involved in the local and global community, but often lazy. Yes, it is accurate for the majority of students, but a minority is very academically-driven.

There are many stereotypes about how politically active and driven students here are. It's 100% true. Not necessarily a bad thing.