American University

« See more reviews of American University

American University is a wonderful school. However, it is very expensive. American University is not known for their sciences, but rather their School of Internatational Services and School of Public Affairs. It is a great school to attend if you know that you want to study in one of these schools, in the School of Communication, economics, history, and other related majors. However, there are students who study science at American University. That said, anyone who is completely undecided may not thrive at American University, since their concentration is towards International Relations and Political Science.

People who would struggle at this school socially are females that are boy-crazy. With just below a 35% male population, of whom 15% are gay, there are not many males to pick from. Someone who cannot handle cold weather would not be able to attend this school. Here, it seems the weather had no limitations! Anyone who is easily intimidated cannot attend this school. With some of the smartest people around the country, intense professors and very wealthy students, other persons may feel sub-par at times which could affect their concentration on the most important thing- their education.

If you are interested in mathematics and science, I would probably look elsewhere. AU is a very liberal arts-based university and is incredibly focused upon writing abilities. Those who are interested in getting heavily involved in greek life may want to look at another university. I am a part of Alpha Phi Omega, however our campus does not provide on campus housing for greek life. If you are not interested in politics this is definitely not the school for you. AU is extremely outspoken when it comes to this subject and heated discussions about politics are often brought up.

People who are not open-minded; people who do not like to be surrounded by people who disagree with them, including professors. This applies especially to political conservatives. The campus is politcally active across the spectrum but leans far to the left. People who do not like politics or who get tired of talking about them will be bored in certain classes. Anyone who ever thought they definitely wanted to go to a big state school and enjoy watching huge football games should not come here.

Peole that want to float through college should not attend American university. This school guides its students to some of the best jobs however you can not breeze right through. American also has a zero tolerance policy so if your into a lot of drinking and drugs American is really not the place for you. People who dont like city environments, American is right inside Washington DC so there is the nations capital at a students doorstep so your not into cities I wouldnt go to AU.

If you are looking for a large university and want to meet lots of people do not come here. The school feels very small. If you want to graduate without student loans, do not come here, its very expensive. If you do not like to drink, do not come here. If you are female and want to meet straight males in college, do not come here, the school is 65% female with a very large gay population. If you don't like politics or are not willing to learn about them, do not come here.

If you hate to go out and do things off campus, this probably isn't the best school for you. There are always activities on campus but Washington, DC, has a huge number of museums and landmarks. I've been here for 2 years and I haven't come close to seeing all of them. Everything is easy to get to so there's no excuse to stay on campus all day. And it's nice to get off campus and away from the stress of school work.

People with strong conservative beliefs because the school is very liberal and quite biased. Expressing your non-liberal opinion can land you in a hot spot or even a bad grade. If you are from the South, people will make fun of you all the time, this is a warning. The school, from students to professors, are very liberal and like to express themselves in strange ways

A close-minded person would have no place on this campus. There are constant discussions going around whether it be about politics, religion, or minor beliefs about the school system; if a person is going to come into these conversations with one answer on his/her mind and no patience to hear and learn others' ideas then he/she would be most uncomfortable and unhappy.

American University is a strongly politically inclined school, so anyone who is easily annoyed by political discussion should not attend. Also, students should be prepared for a good amount of coursework which requires strong self motivation.