American University

« See more reviews of American University

the financial aide office. you have to scream and yell at them to get even the smallest loan out of them. this school is corrupt and wastes money. they jack up tuition without warning and for no reason. there is a lot bureaucracy also. you have to fight to get what you want. the school advisors like to trick students about what classes to take so they end up taking more than they need. there is so much red tape here and im sure the president is stealing money out of the school funds

The Financial Aid Office is employed by workers who don't want to be there, don't care about students and robotically answer questions. Students seeking financial assistance are sent away in the masses, and individual cases are not examined. When it comes to financial aid, every student is a number - and not a person. No matter how good their grades, how active they are on campus, and how much they contribute, financial aid is refused to many students who need it.

No football team. Very few straight men. Few good looking men. Little sense of true campus/school identity. Basically two different schools between the honors program and the rest of the school. There are some non-honors kids who put in as much effort and time into their coursework and around campus, but it is mostly honors kids who do well and make it a decent university. The non-honors kids seem to drag it down.

The student body at American University is less than 30 percent male, which makes it hard to find men to date. While there is an active social scene once you begin to get to know people and make connections, there are no on-campus greek houses, which make parties hard to get to as a freshman. There is also no school football team and school spirit is slightly lacking.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be the job situation. It isn't that my school doesn't prepare us well enough, it's that the government exam that I have to take can only be completed once I am 21 years of age, and that I can only take it my senior year (The Foreign Service Exam). My entire career choice is basically riding on this.

The fact that the School of International Services gets so much prestige and press, when in reality it is difficult to obtain a job in a related field after college unless students go abroad. That is not made clear to students and other collges at the school suffer even though their programs are supieror in both academic advising and career placement.

The lack of sorority/fraternity housing. The university could potentially use the weakened US housing market as a opportunity to acquire enough houses, located around American's campus, to provide the thriving Greek Community with housing and places to continue on with being one of the most awarded Greek Communities on the East Coast.

The powers that be in American University seem disconnected from the student body. Things seem to be done behind closed doors and in secret and when students are consulted, our input doesn't seem to matter all that much. It would be nice if we were taken seriously, considering the type of students taht American University attracts.

Probably the meager financial aid packages and the lack of large amounts of minority students, especially african americans and latinos. also, the school focuses a lot on women/gender studies and international studies but doesn't seem to put much emphasis on multicultural studies about ethnic minorities in america.

While the professors and advisors are amazing, the school bureaucracy is infurriating. They froze my friend's account three times in one month because they lost her paperwork twice and then when they found it sent it to the wrong people.