Amherst College Top Questions

Academics are probably the best part of Amherst for a number of reasons: -small class sizes -great faculty who enjoy interacting with students -research opportunities within each department

The classes are pretty small and there's always a lot of class discussion going on. My only problem is that most of the time people talk just to hear themselves speak, so the discussions are not always informative or interesting, but when they are its great. If you're into learning from the professor Amherst isn't the place to be, most of the time I'm just hearing my fellow classmates talk. I'm an English major. The department is okay, I just wish there were more courses exploring media studies, multimedia and the like to reinforce what we learn in the class room. More classes with multimedia project components would be great. You'll hate the academics here like I mostly do if you're into more hands on, application stuff that improves your technical skills. Oh and the open curriculum is the best, it's the reason why I chose Amherst.

Natasha

The open curriculum is great. You are only required to take one course, the Freshman Seminar, and the topics are always interesting. The open curriculum lets you either focus on your major right away, or experiment and take different classes. The majors aren't necessarily geared toward getting a job. The college really emphasizes the liberal arts aspect of learning.

Jen

Professors all make the effort to know all students' names, and I haven't had a class yet (I've taken 8 of them) in which the professor didn't know my name. Amherst kids have intellectual conversations outside of class, but the length and frequency vary greatly depending on the group of friends you hang out with. Amherst's open curriculum attracts lots of people, although I feel like some people come here never intending to extend their horizons on their own, which was the original intention of the curriculum. I like it a lot, but sometimes I wish I had the room to take artsy classes and such without feeling pressured to take "useful" or uber-challenging classes instead. Amherst students are secretly competitive. In other words, competitive mindsets are not noticeable, but most kids think competitively. We are just good at hiding it. So we don't do stuff like, throwing away a classmate's calculator or intentionally letting your roommate oversleep. haha

The professors are very much into creating relationships with students. They'll take you in. Even in the big lecture classes, which are themselves rare, the professors seem to make it a point to know every single person and their name and everything about them. The whole school revolves around the students. They baby us- there are so many resources that they don't let anyone slip through the cracks. The professors and everyone else are very attentive to our needs. And all the professors seem to be brilliant/the expert in something. There are a lot of hot shots/experts in their fields, but even they know all your names.

I'd say the best part about Amherst is its terrific academic life. Professors, though spectacular and often world-known in their field, know your name, classes are small and participation is often lively, there is a lot of opportunity to do independent work with close individual attention from an expert in the field, students often take conversation from class into the dining hall and dorm room (making the school a 24/7 learning experience), and though a small school, by virtue of the Five College Consortium, virtually every class one would want is available! My department in particular, Political Science, was phenomenal. There's a good balance between political theory, international relations, constitutional law, history, political economy, etc. The professors are often extremely accomplished. Bill Taubman (specializes in Russia) is a Pulitzer Prize winner, Austin Sarat (constitutional law) is one of the five most cited public law experts in the country, Hadley Arkes (political theory) is the architect of the Born Alive Infants Protection Act, Ronald Tiersky (European politics) was a State and Defense Department consultant. However, despite being so accomplished, the professor are accessible and phenomenal teachers as well. I've gotten to know several of my professors well outside of class. I think Amherst's lack of distribution requirements and/or a core curriculum allows one to get breadth in a variety of disciplines outside of one's major. By virtue of the open curriculum, I was effectively able to triple minor. I took many courses in economics, philosophy, and music. Hence, I became very intimately familiar with textbook economic theory. Before school, I couldn't interpet the Wall Street Journal. Now I read it almost every morning with a great foundation for understanding. Before school, I'd never heard of Kant or Hume. Now, I've closely analyzed everyone from Plato and Aristotle to Kant, Hobbes and Locke to Rawls and Nussbaum. The journey through the Western philosophical tradition has made me reflect differently on many decisions, including career decisions. Finally, I didn't play instruments before school and now I'm a proficient guitarist. In many ways, the open curriculum let me quasi-quadruple major. Though professors greatly contributed to my intellectual development, fellow students who also loved the material made me reflect on the material more closely and improve my understanding. These discussions ranged from debates with students over whether the US' hand in mediating the Israel-Palestinian dispute would be improved or not after the 1st gulf war, whether utilitarianism can be made compatible with our moral intuitions, whether allowing college students to sell stocks in themselves would made economic sense, and instructions on how to best voice a certain jazz chord on the guitar. These conversations were all spawned by coursework. As you can expect from that explanation, many students at Amherst appreciate learning for its own sake. However, a very large portion of the school doesn't value its education outside the benefits it will yield in Wall Street, etc. The open curriculum allows students to pursue their vision of what a proper curriculum should be--pre-professional or an intellectual odyssey.

Reese

Given the small nature of the student population (1600-1700), the classes are generally small and intimate. However these are not like small high school classes, in that the professors are of an incredibly high caliber. They challenge, argue, lead, and educate in such a fashion that students want to study and do well because they are interested by the matieral and impressed by the the faculty. The faculty rewards the students' genuine interest and hard work with decent grade inflation so that it is hard to get below a B with an honest effort, although recieving an A- or above is still very impressive. Generally they is a lot of reading in the arts classes, and less reading but more class in the sciences. There are no distribution requirements, so students take classes they want to take from the very begining. Classes are not very difficult to get into, yet are still very small. Both of these attributes add to a healthy relationship between students, professors, and academic interest/achievement.

Madeline

If you talk in class the professors will get to know you, and they are definitely accessible if you take the time to go to them. When I was really stressed out about my thesis and only sleeping never, one of my professors actually asked me to come see her because she had noticed I seemed a little out of it. She just wanted to make sure that everything was going ok, and once I told her I was a thesis writer, she understood and told me if I was ever really buried in my work just let her know, and she would help out.

Most classes are small, with the exceptions of certain very large intro classes. You can really get to know your professors and there are programs that help encourage interaction outside of class as well. Most of the professors here are very good, but there are a few truly awful ones, not because they are unqualified, but simply because they do not teach their subjects very well. Luckily, the curriculum is completely open (no universally required classes) and there is an online resource known as Scrutiny which provides reviews of professors and classes to help you avoid classes which you would not enjoy/get much out of. There are many lectures and discussions on many different topics if you are interested in attending them. Certain departments, such as Computer Science, Political Scienece, and several others have some really great professors. Unfortanately, in terms of politcal discussion there is usually only one side of every argument represented (the liberal one of course). Although I considered myself moderately liberal when I arrived here, the extreme liberalism and supression of conservatives really disturbed me and I think this is an issue not really addressed by enough people here because they all hate conservatives anyway. Outside of this tragic underrepresentaion of an entire class of ideas, the education you can get here is really great, and they are really helpful to graduating students, whether you are looking for a job or to continue your education.

Joanna

Professors at Amherst are 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} accessible and invested in their students' educations. When I was a freshman, I was hesitant to "bother" professors at their office hours. By senior year, I learned that even though professors are absolutely brilliant they are also friendly and approachable (with some exceptions, of course), want to hear what students have to say, and treat students as equals, just in an earlier stage of their careers.

Classes aren't too hard, it's just that the students are smart so it forces you to do your best work. The professors are pretty solid, I've had some good and some bad. If you are outgoing with your professors they will help you and talk to you anywhere.

Yes, all professors know my name (kinda sucks when you sleep in, you immediately get an email...). Favorite classes: Abnormal Psychology - Prof. Halgin (a UMASS professor) is simply fantastic, you will remember 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of his lectures, so engaging! How often do students study? - all the time. Class participation is very common and there is no oppositional culture (meaning, none of this high school crap that participating in class is not cool.) I can say that one of the most characteristic features of Amherst are the intellectual discussions outside of class, you learn more out of class (and in Val) than in class. Students are very competitive, but I have not heard of friendships suffering from that, no one is out there to get you or stab you in the back. People are cool, but they just take even small assignments very seriously. Most unique class - Abnormal Psychology. The econ major is not a bullshit, many professors but just a few are quite demanding. It's still not as hard as the sciences, but you cannot slack through it. The math major is more rigorous, the rhythm of your life will be dictated by problems sets, they count as a big part of your grade, so you have to study hard every week. Professors are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, they will never refuse to see you even with the most idiotic question you come up with; poor people, we almost abuse them. The academic requirements are adequate to what I expected and to the capacity of the student body, but if you want to "take a break from life" and just chill, forget about it. The education in Amherst is geared more towards intellectual pursuit. Job recruiting is impressive for a liberal arts college, but if you know for a fact that Wall Street is your dream, go to an Ivy, they have better recruitment. In general, you don't need to worry, you will have a good life after Amherst.

The best thing about classes here at Amherst is that they are small enough that the professors always know your name! (Excepting a few introductory courses.) Anytime I needed help, I always felt comfortable asking because my professor knew who I was and wanted to help me understand the course!

Terry

Very Competitive. Hard classes, and the students take them very very seriously

Sasha

Professors definitely learn your name and are accessible. Depending on the class people will participate some, although it has never been a major feature of any of the classes I've taken. That said I know for example that in philosophy classes, class participation is prevalent and there is a lot of well thought out discussion. There is not much competition on campus, most people only stress themselves out about their own performance, never that of others. As for requirements, Amherst is known for its open curriculum, but in all honesty I would rather have more structure and a common experience of a reasonable core curriculum.

The professors are very accessible here, and relationships between professors and students are close. The campus even offers a program called TYPO (Take your professor out), where they give students money to take their professors out to dinner in town with a small group.

Most professors know most students' names and there is plenty of class participation. This kind of reflects the sort of classes you choose, though. Big intro classes will have 100 students and will naturally have less discussion, but few classes are that large. One example of the good school-student-professor relationship is TYPO. This is a program in which the school will pay for students to take their professors out to dinner at a local restaurant. It is a lot of fun and many students make use of it. I am an English and geology major. The geology department is excellent. Professors all go by a first-name basis, and the group is very tight-knit. Classes are challenging and fun; there are many field trips to the surrounding areas, as well as winter and summer trips to locations at which professors have on-going projects (Greece, Hawaii, Iceland). Amherst does not give credit for "vocational" classes, which is sometimes a hassle. I couldn't take a journalism class at Mt. Holyoke, so I had to audit it. Otherwise, the academic requirements are great. There is no "core" curriculum, which allows great latitude of class choice. Some choose not to take advantage of this, taking only science or humanities classes their entire time at Amherst. This is a wasted opportunity. Most students take classes in every kind of field.

Red

Classes here are wonderful. Professors will know your name and where you are from. Students study around two to five hours a day, depending on whether someone has a paper or not. Class participation is extremely common. Don't come here if your planning on relaxing in the corner. There is some competition, but not in a negative way. People help eachother before tests and while they are curious to see the scores of their peers, never brag or boast. People can TYPO (Take Your Professor Out) there professor and get a free meal in town, this is very popular amongst good professors, which there are tons of here. There are no requirements, making premed and double majoring easy.

Professor student relationships are great. Love the academics.

In the entire college, there are maybe five large introductory lecture classes with as many as 80 students. Most of my classes, even freshman year, had around 20-30, and are some combination of lecture and discussion. I'm a double major in Sociology and Environmental Studies, which is easy to do at Amherst because there are no core requirements. You will never sit through a miserable intro math class just because it is required, or have a bunch of kids who hate English ruin your intro English class. Not having core requirements increases student engagement in all classes and gives everyone time to explore fields that they may not plan to major in.

Jack

Small calsses, professors know students on an individual basis. Education is geared toward learning for learning's sake; very few academic requirements. The open curriculum allows you to learn about and explore what you want.

Every professor knows my name, and I am on a first name basis with half of them this semester. In particular, my econ professor doesn't care anymore whether I show up to his class, as I am particularly insightful when I do, and I often meet with him during office hours to ask question above and beyond the curriculum. We are very competitive and very well informed, but choose to gang up on those with ill informed opinions. We also are not very accepting of Christians in particular. For some reason, we are fine with almost every other religion, but as soon as someone admits they are Catholic or Protestant, we question their intelligence. We have no requirements, although that may change, which really allows for a broad educational experience.

Owen

My biggest class this semester is about 20 students, my smallest has 4. For the most part, the professors are very available and friendly, and scrutiny, the school's class review website, is great for finding good professors. Best part- no general education requirements! It's easy to take whatever you want and not waste time on things you don't care about but need to graduate. People are often very stressed about grades and try to do well, but there is usually plenty of time to hang out and have fun.

Katrina

Classes are great. Professors are great. All of the professors I've had have been really friendly and approachable, and most make an effort to get to know you beyond what they see in the classroom. I've taken several geology classes, which require frequent field trips, and they're always totally fascinating, plus most geology professors have no compunction about using departmental funds to buy their students food. There are no core requirements, so most students honestly want to be in the classes they take. People do spend a lot of time studying, but most of the time it is with people from their classes or in the common room. People's academics carry over into their social lives a lot; there are frequently dinnertime discussions about something discussed in class that day. Most students at Amherst are honestly interested in learning for learning's sake, although future careers are usually part of the big picture. Classes vary in difficulty, with some classes assigning a paper or two a semester and others requiring several hours of work a night.

Simone

Small classes, though selection is limited. However, you can always take classes at the other 5 Colleges. Class participation is definitely common; people are not afraid to voice their opinions and those opinions are almost always interesting and well-informed. You definitely learn a lot from your peers... And, yes, intellectual conversation definitely occurs naturally outside of class, but is mostly reactionary and not the central point of peer relationships. Students are not competitive, except with themselves. Most unique class: Workshop in Moving Image (creating and editing films), Playwriting. NO CORE CURRICULUM!! SO GREAT!! If you never want to take math again, you don't have to. Allows you to explore your interests without feeling burdened by requirements. Work hard, play hard. That's Amherst. Some students work a lot, but you can easily get away with very little by choosing the right classes and paying attention when you need to. Amherst is definitely NOT geared toward getting a job. Students apply that own pressure on themselves.

An advantage that you'll hear over and over again about Amherst is that the size allows for really dedicated professors and interesting classes. It's absolutely true. However, don't expect small classes your freshman year because intro courses tend to be very large. A good way to talk to your professors is through e-mail and office hours. I would give greater priority to e-mail because most professors tend to check their e-mail regularly whereas office hours may conflict with your class times. But if you can make it to office hours, you absolutely should go. Professors tend to explain things better one-on-one (who doesn't?) and they are always happy and excited to see students. The best departments on campus would have to be econ, LJST, poli sci, and psychology. I haven't heard much about the humanities and sciences, but there seem to be good concentrations of professors in pretty much every department. There is encouragement to try varied areas of study so that you have a balance and come out well-rounded, despite the open curriculum. Although graduates do get good jobs or highly coveted spots in top grad schools, the emphasis here is on learning and applying, not on being marketable on the job market. Most students here do go on to grad school eventually, so for most people, their degree from Amherst won't be the one that determines their career. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE GUEST SPEAKERS AND THE COLLOQUIA!!!!! We have some really awesome people come talk to us. This year we had John Bolton, Wesley Clark, Andrew Bacevich, Joseph Stiglitz, several political strategists, authors, artists, etc.

Yasmin

I love the classes I've taken here, they're all definitely challenging. I absolutely adore the Psychology department, the professors are dynamic and very current with their research. Class participation is not as common as I wish it was but there are some professors who are really good at initiating discussions and it's definitely appreciated. The school spends a lot of time and money trying to encourage students to get to know their professors. There's a program called TYPO (Take Your Professor Out) in which you and 4 other students take your professor out to dinner and the school picks up the tab. It really makes a difference when you know that the person standing up at the front in front of the class is as human as you are! The professors here are so approachable, they have office hours and you can reach them at all hours by email or by phone or by just dropping by and seeing if they're in their office. Professor Sanderson of the Psych department had all of our names memorized by the 4th week of class...there were 175 people in Psych 11.

Since we're a small college, most classes are pretty small and most professors do know your name. Also, since there's no grad school, classes are all taught by actual professors, not grad students, and the professors are very devoted to their work with undergrads. That being said, I wouldn't say that I know all my professors really well and have dinner with them all the time. I'd say all my professors have know my name, but some I know better than others. I've hung out with professors in social or non-academic settings occasionally but not often. Academics are definitely pretty serious and you do have a lot of work-most Amherst students are fairly busy and stressed but also manage to do lots of extracurriculars and have fun and go out (and take naps). There is obviously a certain level of academic competition given the kind of people that come to Amherst, but I think it's fairly tame. Any class is going to have a few obnoxious people but also lots of cool people. It's nice that we don't have distribution requirements because you can take whatever you want- because of that, I guess different people have different academic experiences. I've taken some pretty cool classes for the Sociology and Spanish departments, including several Soci classes that involved hands-on social research. Especially in smaller classes, discussion is common and participation is often a big part of your class grade. I would definitely say that education is for the most part geared toward learning for its own sake (small liberal arts college, no distribution requirements); Amherst stresses learning how to 'think critically.' I didn't really appreciate this until I went abroad to Spain and realized that teaching styles are much different there.

Kat

Absolutely fantastic professors for the most part. The large majority of them are willing to spend time helping their students outside class and are available for advice and support. My department is fantastic, and all the professors are great professionalists. The academic requirements at Amherst can be tough, but it really depends on what path the student takes, as the school has an open curriculum. It gets tough for everybody at times though. Most Amherst students have intellectual or at least wannabe intellectual conversations outside class. Favorite class: too many to list Least favorite: Ontro to Physics II (Phys 17)

During dinner, students drift in and out of conversations about world politics and the latest South Park episode. There's a lot of really engaging, stimulating conversation among the students, but of course generously peppered with gossip and average college topics. The students really aren't that competitive; everybody more so focuses on doing well for themselves rather than sabotaging the person sitting next to them. In fact, students are really eager to help each other and give input on projects, papers, and problem-sets. The professors here really want to know their students on an individual basis, but this isn't dont unless the student makes the effort to talk to their professor and see them outside of class. Especially in large lecture classes of 80+ students, it's impossible to know each student. But professors are always eager to help their students and be available outside of class. There's also a great program called TYPO (Take Your Professor Out) where the school picks up the tab for you, other students, and your professor to have lunch/dinner. It's a great way to connect to your professor and see the human-side of them. The academic requirements at Amherst are a bit more relaxed than most schools since we have an open curriculum. It gives students the opportunity to explore lots of departments, especially during their first 2 years.

professors KNOW you here. know how you think, how you dress, what you like to eat, your family history... they really invest themselves in you. everyone studies all the time, even if they play like they don't. class participation is required. it's how you get your grades. we claim we're intellectual outside of class, but it's rare to come across a real intellectual conversation outside of class. and if you do, it tends to be peppered with "you dumbass, it's this way," or such epithets. amherst is uber competitive. the psych department here rocks my socks. it's amazing. you can spend time with professors outside of class. i tend to not. amherst is about learning to think. it's much less about whether you can regurgitate than whether you can put together these billion things you've read and come up with something new.

Kat

Small classes with low professor-student ratios. The largest class I've been in was an Intro Chem course and that was 75, maybe. The best part about the academic life is that there are no core requirements at Amherst, beyond a first-year seminar and the requirements for your major. That means you are free to take advantage of the broad range of courses available in any area! Also, the Five Colleges collaborate to allow students to take a course anywhere in the Consortium. So if that really interesting course in Mount Holyoke is catching your eye, you can go for it! My favorite classes this semester are History of Sexuality and the Environmental History of Latin America. The two couldn't be any different, but I find myself pushing myself to learn more about these fascinating subjects. Courses here are very unique, and the Psychology Department is a great place. I frequently have e-mail discussions with my professors about anything and everything. It's really amazing, the dedication professors have to the students, and the respect that everyone has for each other.

I can definitely say that all of my professors know my name. I spend time with them outside of class often, asking them questions during office hours, running into them on campus at different events or just on the street while I'm jogging or walking to class. I babysit their children and have dinner with them through TYPO (take your professor out to dinner). I have had many enjoyable classes. One of my favorite classes was an art class, and another was an english class that I took freshman year. I also really enjoyed my geology classes! Students study various amounts, depending upon their dedication level and major. As a science major and pre-med, I believe I've studied a bit more than some of the humanities majors. However, I've spent less time writing papers and reading! Class participation is very common in classes, especially in upper level classes. Outside of class, we certainly do have intellectual conversations, mostly about politics, sociology, medicine, research, etc. My roommates and I talk about things we see on the news and different lectures we attend. The most unique class I've taken, by far, is the scripts and scores theater and dance class that I'm taking right now. We're learning how to project our voices, compose scores for performance, participate in improvisation, and combine our experiences and background knowledge as a form of intense collaboration to create some pieces that we will perform in May.

No complaints.

Royce

yea all my professors know me. favorite class fiction writing hands down. Hate math. Im always studying. common but not necessary. yea sometimes. Very competitive..but on the low.black music black poetry. idk havent chosen my major yet. Feel fine, open curriculum. Geared toward learning. But going to amherst in general is geared toward getting a job.

Tate

Most professors I've encountered really do care about the subject they are teaching, and many are quite passionate about it. Most of your professors will make an effort to know your name, and most are very open to forming friendships with students. Class discussion and participation has been high in all the classes I've taken. Academics are extremely rigorous here, especially some majors. Students are very frequently stressed all the time. The students are all extremely competitive with one another, which is an attitude the administration seems to subtly encourage. People often judge one another by their grades/resume. Amherst offers some really great classes, some of my favorites have been The Value of Nature, and West African Dance. The Biology Department is really great. There are a few professors who definitely fall into the "old boys club" mentality, but more and more younger professors are entering the program. These younger professors are all extremely engaging and bright.

Max

I have found that classes here, while requiring a good amount of work, often place a higher value on the students' insights than just random memorization of facts - at least in humanities classes. For instance, my 15-person political philosophy class reads a book every three weeks or so, and while you need to know that book inside and out, we spend every class discussing the concepts instead of being lectured on them. Aside from this, I really cannot say enough about how awesome the open curriculum is. Seriously, THIS RULES.

Trip

Academics are demanding but manageable. Classes are relatively small with encouraged participation. Professors are easily accessible. Personally I dont consult them often but they are definitely there. Amherst requirements are very lenient. You can take whatever classes you want to take. Classes are definitely geared towards getting a job

Because Amherst is so small there is no reason to not know your teachers and for your teachers to not know you. Amherst even has a fund where students can take their teachers out to dinner. Classes are so small that participation is necessary for all the students. Students are hard working but never competitive. I love the open curriculum because I can take the classes that I want--the problem is, there are so many interesting classes that I never know how I'm going to pick just four a semester!

mel

all of my professors know my name. they are also very receptive to students who make an effort. i think academics here have a very personal feeling- people study however much they want to without worrying about how much others are studying. its a great feeling to not have other people breathing down your neck about grades, but to still have a highly intellectual environment.

The professors at Amherst are fantastic. They make a point to get to know their students. I think in particular, departments can be close groups--especially in the smaller majors.

Professors always know their students names. Students tend to study everyday (on average). a lot of people participate in class, though of course not everyone. I used to spend more time with professors outside of class than i do know. there are no academic requirements which is amazing. it is undoubtedly geared toward learning. students are ultra competitive though not back stabbing or in any negative way, they all just strive to do the best job possible, generally.

I never guessed that I would find myself discussing books about human nature at dinner time. this is what amherst does to you. in a good way.

Pete

Academics here are top-notch: open curriculum means you can take whatever classes you want. Most people do a good job branching out, studying a variety of different disciplines. The professors are so smart and yet able to engage students and make the material palatable. Amherst isn't about preparing you for a specific profession; most people with certain jobs in mind continue on to graduate or professional school anyways. At Amherst, you learn because you want to; picking the classes that you like rather than following core requirements certainly facilitates this process. I can't imagine having to take introductory courses in disciplines that don't interest me.

Sophia

Academically and intellectually I think Amherst is a great environment. Students can either take larger lecture classes with little class participation, or they can take small seminars and really work closely with professors. Most professors are very excited about meeting with students one on one and talking about work. Also, although this will vary among students and groups of friends, I feel as though students have a fair amount of intellectual conversations outside of class. I think education and Amherst is molded by each student to fit his/her desires. If students want to gear their education towards getting a job, then they can take classes that will enable him/her to do that. Students can also work closely with professors and take classes that foster learning for its own sake. The lack of course requirements and the variety of classes help students to shape their own learning experience. Although I think the professors at Amherst are wonderful, I think that Amherst's course catalogue is a bit weak. Amherst tries to make up for it through the five college course exchanges, but I am not sure this is quite sufficient.

ivy league level

Elise

Class sizes are usually small although the recently expanding student body has done much to alter its once small student:teacher ratio. My favorite class was taught by Professor Halgin-- Abnormal Psychology. He is the perfect example of a professor who cares about a student as a whole and their identity outside of class. Classes are pretty rigorous-- usually requiring 5-8 hours of work every week per class.

Andre

Academics here can be very challenging and demanding. This is especially true for those who are involved in the athletics. Support from professors here is definitely present, but its just as in any other school where you will always have a select few who are just cold people. With that said the teachers do want to see their students succeed.

Jimmy

Professors will know your name if you ever go see them outside of class. My favorite class this semester is US Economic History. The professor is an absolute genius and extremely funny and even if I tried to not pay attention there is no way I could. The material is extremely relevant too. Students study quite a bit. I tend to wait until the last minute to study, so on a daily basis I don't study that much, but there will be days where I am absolutely swamped with work. In class participation is very common. Education at Amherst is definitely geared at learning for its own sake.

Torry

The open curriculum is great for students who want to explore a little of everything and get a really well-rounded education. Intellectual curiosity is fed and encouraged, with many opportunities for students to conduct their own research and experiments on topics of their choice, or work with professors on independent projects. Professors are extremely accessible and approachable, making themselves available for office hours, one-on-one help, and even inviting students into their homes, out to dinner, or to lunch in the faculty dining hall. It's thrilling to work alongside some of the foremost scholars in their fields and actually buy the textbook written by the professor who's teaching the class. The school's general philosophy is opposed to pre-professional tracks of study, but rather aims to instill a passion for learning and and help students establish a base that will serve them well wherever they go. Be prepared to challenge your own beliefs and conceptions, though. You may find yourself with fewer answers than you began with upon entering the college, but this, to me is evidence that you've gotten the most out of your courses here.