Anderson University-Anderson, IN Top Questions

Justin

If I could talk to myself as a senior I would tell myself three things. The first would be to figure out a study habit that works best. I have found times where I am struggling to study for a test and doing anything to remember the lessons. The second piece of advice that I would offer would be to manage time better and become more organized. Once you are in college, your parents are with you to make sure everything is happening when it needs to happen. I would say to get into the habit of using a calendar and staying neat because school will flow a lot more easier and you won't spend crucial time weeding through all of the nonsense. Finally I would say to have adversity. There will be moments of failure once you leave home and the best way to deal with it is to get back up and get the next one because you can't change the past. Just focus on the next test or game or whatever it may be and make sure you don't fail once more.

Maxim

Advice to My High School Self As a high school senior full of anticipation and wonder of what college would be like, my greatest worry was whether or not I was up to the academic challenge. Prior to college attendence my high school teachers frequently warned us of how dificult college would be. While the content of undergraduate courses may be somewhat more difficult than high school, it is the quantity of material that must be retained that is more challenging. I would tell myself to take a full academic load but not to overload my schedule. In order to reduce stress I would let myself know not to procrastinate on any assignment, make sure to get a good nights sleep, and take time out of the day to exercise. A healthy diet is also important. Reserve late nights for the weekends. And finally I would tell myself to relax and to fully enjoy the experience by making friends and getting involved.

Kurtis

The advice that I would give myself is to start working earlier, search for every single opportunity to increase your knowledge and understanding of the world around you and especially to understand your main area of study. Do not wait for something to happen or to learn all you can from book. Go out there and explore numerous and multiple opportunities to learn whether it is real world applications or even doing some studies on your own outside of class to further your own understanding. I have found through my time at college that the best opportunties I had to learn were ones that I sought out myself and not through the university. But, the university did teach me how to seek those out.

Audrey

As a college student, I have learned more about myself and about people than I knew in high school. If I could talk to past Audrey, here is what I would say. "Audrey, you are so uptight. Take a breath and enjoy life. Do your best in school and love the people around you. Even though your life revolves around your future in college now, it will not always be that way. Be confident in yourself and your decisions. Decide on what relationships you will continue to invest in. Be a good friend. Don't worry, it will all be okay." Each of those statements has significant meaning to me. Some experience led me to newly appreciate each of these lessons. Though my experience in high school was great, I would have been better had I known what I know now.

Anna

Take as many duel-credit classes as you can during high school, the more classes you can get out of the way for free, the more stress-free your college experience will be. If you do your absolute best, you could finish a year early. Also, take the time to fill out several scholarship applications every week. You might be the only one who took the time to fill it out and win the scholarship. Lastly, don't forget to be a kid. High school goes by so fast, just don't wish your childhood away.

MaKayla

I would tell myself to work as hard as possible to get the best grades so that you can get as many scholarships as possible. I didn't apply myself as much as I should and now we are struggling with coming up with the money to pay for college. That would be the advice I would give myself if I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior.

Miriam

Stop trying to be popular. Just be yourself. It will always be enough. You are trying to fill a hole with material and chemical substances. It will only make the hole bigger. You do not have to live this crazy life alone. Turn to the One who created you and the one who has all of the reasons and answers. That is what you are missing. Stop being selfish and hurting everyone around you. Every lie sets you up for failure. You need to open your eyes and see what you are missing. Listen to your heart and your conscious. Ball State is not the school for you. Get off your high horse and realize you are not perfect. You are not living the life you are capable of. You were made for such a bigger purpose. Embrace it.

Rebecca

The first advice I would tell myself is that getting organized is crucial. College can be overwhelming at times. Some days you may ponder to yourself and say that you are not going to survive, but if you learn how to be organized in high school you will make it. Along with being organized comes a key component to college; time-management. Many people in college struggle with free time, but as high school students you can learn how to make the most of your time so that when college comes around you are prepared to succeed. I would also advise myself to use the resources that you have made available. High school counselors are people who are dedicated to helping you get on the right track for college, so take advantage of them. Another insight I would give myself is to really appreciate the classes that you are enrolled in. Use your high school classes to gain insight into the possible majors that you would like to explore. Finally, I would tell myself to always work hard and strive to be the best person that you can be, because ultimately it will shape you for your future.

Kylie

I have learned to be a more independant person. I know strive and work hard for what I want and not give up. I also feel way more comfortable in my skin and have made friends that will last a life time.

Shawn

Daymar college has given me more than the ability to get a degree, they also have given me my self respect back. When I first came to Daymar the staff let me know that I can do anything in life that I want to. The people at Daymar showed me that nomatter my age (35) that with hard work and their guidence that in a few short years I will get my degree. I have been in the work force since i was at the age of 16 but have never had a meaningfull job, they are showing me that I can have what I desire. As an adult it is very hard to get in the mindset of going back to school, they have made the transition very easy for me. Here at Daymar every last person is treated as an equal not as a lessor person. The main thing I have gotten from Daymar college is that a person such as myself can be a college graduate and go onto live a life that I consider succesfull. I belive that is the most powerfull thing in the world .

Adriana

During my college experience, I've gained a great deal of knowledge about the medical field. Going to school to further my education has made me a more responsible person. It has made me stronger, smarter, and more determinded to accomplish my dreams and goals and to better myself as well. Being in the medical field comes with many rewards to come in life. The best one would be saving a life or in all, helping someone. Just to know that someone's life has been saved because of you is truely an amazing feeling and a wonderful experience. Going to college and studying in the medical field will not only benefit me but as well as my future patients. Attending college has been the greatest decision I have ever made.

Jonathon

When I came to AU, I was sure I was making a mistake. All my friends had gone to a large state school, which was the best in the nation for communications (my major). I soon found out, that I had come to the right place and began experiencing a loving community of which I had never seen. The real value of AU has come from the friendships and love I have felt. I truly believe I've met a group of friends here that will be here for me for the rest of my life. At Anderson University, I have been able to make real, genuine friendships that I can not only have fun with, but seek help and guidance through as well. This year, I rushed a men's service/social club called Dativus (Delta Kappa Alpha). This has given me an even deeper sense of brotherhood, community, and friendship.Academically, AU has given me the resources to figure out my career choice and even more resources to make it happen. I absolutely love my major (Public Relations) and the professor's in my department sincerely care about my well-being. My spiritual life has also grown exponentially.

John

My college experience has been nothing short of an adventure, and I've enjoyed every step of the way. I thoroughly enjoy being a college student, with all of the freedom, privileges, and responsibilities that it entails. I enjoy making new connections with possible future employers through class contacts, and general social networking to meet new people. Most of all, I enjoy all of the fine and challenging academic opportunities that are found at institutions of higher learning, because it is just so much more exciting and new everyday compared to the everyday routine and boredom of high school. My education is worth more to me than any material item I own, because I see education as a gateway to the future, a future filled with promise and hope for prosperity.

Jenise

My college experience has showed me what it means to be an adult. I went from being a young girl filled with dreams to a woman who now has the ability to make her dreams a reality. Not only did I gain the knowledge necessary to succeed in life, but I also grew in every aspect of my being. Being on my own, I was given the freedom to develop my own beliefs and discover my true purpose in life. I was able to serve the people in the surrounding community through opportunities the campus offered, and I was even able to serve students on campus through being an RA, a University Ambassador, and working for the Campus Activities Board. I also gained friendships that I know will last me a lifetime. My time at Anderson University was unforgettable, and it changed me forever. Through my experience, I have come to embrace my value, and I am optimistic about the plans my future holds. I know that through Christ Jesus I have the strength to accomplish anything that comes my way, and no matter what, I will persevere.

Jeremiah

I have been attending Clark College for a year now and it has been one of the most fulfilling experiences I have ever had. I am a 33 year-old, laid-off residential electrician. I got my GED when I was 23 as I had a rough home life. I thought that life was all about working. Since I have been attending Clark I have realized that life has much more to offer me. I have a 3.84 GPA and am studying to be an electrical engineer. I have a whole new outlook on life; I now realize that anything is possible. Today, because of my collegiate experiences I have a bright future and am looking forward to the day that I can use my degree to help others. Going to college has to be the best and scariest decisions I've ever made.

Jane

Throughout my college experience thus far, I have learned lesson that will carry over into life. I have learned the optimal environment for getting my work done. I need it relatively quiet, but I can have music on in the background. This will help when I need to work at home for my career. Also, I have learned to allow time for relationships to form. When I came to college, I expected to make friends quickly. When that didn't happen, I learned close friendships take time to build. This was not something I had considered before my college career. The combined effects of these lessons and similar ones will help me with my life after college.

Krista

I believe the one thing that i have gotten form this college experience other than knowledge, is great friendship. All my life i have gone through school with little friends and just focused on my education. But in college i have grown as a person and have found who i am and that then built of friendships with others on campus.

Gurveer

My college life has given me a unique social experience... i have learnt to manage time in studies and extra curricular activities....i have made a lot of friends that are very dear to me. I am a part of rotaract club of the college....which has given very good management experience plus a very good social life.

Candice

Dear Candice of June 3rd, 2009, I will not tell you what experiences you are about to endure because every single one will shape the person you will become in January 1st, 2010. I do not wish for you to experience this summer without failures or scars. But please, I beg of you, accept your peers for who they are. Do not judge them when they make mistakes. Do not think of yourself as having a higher level of purity than the rest of the world. You are not better than them. You will almost surely make the same mistakes as they do even though you are aware of the consequences. You are not a grudge holder on the outside. You say you forgive and your natural acting abilities allow this to continue without anyone noticing how you truly feel. But on the inside, you hold on to their mistakes and you fear the day when you follow the path they travel. Embrace your mistakes. Learn as much as you can because if you repeat those rebellious actions in college, the mistake will destroy you. It will damage your emotions, your relationships, your education and even your faith.

Heather

Dear Heather: I know you are nervous about leaving high school and heading off to college. I would be lying if I told you it was easy, but it's not as scary as you think it will be. Though you are moving away from your current friends and family, you will make new friends before you know it. You will find that the relationships you make at college will be just as strong as the ones you have made throughout high school. However, don't loose touch with your friends and family, no matter what happens they will be there for you. Also, be open to new relationships; you can never have too many friends and mentors. I know it's easy to keep to yourself and spend countless hours in your dorm room, but take a chance, step out of your comfort zone, open up your door and let people in. You will find that you can make lifelong friends by just taking the first step. Finally, don't be afraid to get to know your professors and ask questions; they are there to help you, they know what you're going through and they care about you.

Latosha

If I could go back in time and visit my past self, I would probably give myself the advice of learning how to study properly before coming to college. My first semester grades of college weren't disappointing but I know I could have done better if I studied a bit more. I would tell my past self to ask teachers for help and ask around for different study habits that would help a first year college student. Studying is my biggest hurdle in this first year of college but this second semester is a fresh start and I know that I am going to do great. Another hint of the trade that I would give my self is to be active on campus during the first semester. I made the mistake of not joining clubs or social clubs and I know realize it is a lot harder to get involved when I am already settled into college life.

Dear Self, The transition from high school to college can seem like a scary time. It doesn't have to be. Make sure that the number one item on your to-do list before anything else is to have your FAFSA forms filled out and turned in as soon as you possibly can. Doing this helps out tremendiously when applying for scholarships and deciding what and how many loans to take out. Once your FAFSA is completed turn it in and the hard part is over. Fill out ever scholarship you possibly can! Going to a private christian school is going to cost a lot of money so as many scholarships as you can recieve will help out tremediously! Even if a scholarships seems like it is not worth it, fill it out. There is nothing to lose, only the possibility of winning it. "College life" is great! You get the experience of living on your own and meeting new people. Remember, always do your homework and go to every class. Skipping class hurts your grade. Just think if it as, "I'm paying for this so I might as well go." Most of all, enjoy you're college years.

Colleen

Emily Ritchie is a sophomore at Lynchburg High School. I ask her how high school is going for her and she always, everytime, rolls her eyes. "Stick through it girl, stick through it," is what I always tell her. "It's worth it--you'll see." I know she can't see it now but she will soon--The meaning of getting through the rut that is high school. After all, that's its equivilency to so many modern day teens. When I was in high school I was an oddity. I wasn't fully accepted by my peers. Instead my imaginitive mind seemed like it was unusually out of place in my rural community. Although some of my peers wanted to go to college, they all wanted to major in the same things and then slowly disolve back into the conformity of my hometown after graduation. That's what they've all done. But I keep saying to myself, "Go....go...you must go." And that's exactly what I would say to myself if I was to go back to myself as a high school senior. "Go...go embrace your mind, your imagination and you will find yourself."

Heather

Don't worry about it so much-study something you are interested in and GET INVOLVED in something you are interested in. Make friends and things will fall into place.

Stephen

Take your classes left seriosly. Study and take every opputunity you can. DO everything you can to take your education seriously. After all, you are paying for it. And it is not cheap. Live life exactly how you want to and do not regret a single decision you make.

Allyson

To get involved as much as possible. I think that is the only way to truly make good friends and feel welcomed the first year. Also, to work hard while you're there, but don't stress so much about grades-rather the relationships you make. Be yourself and have fun!

My first piece of advice to myself as a high school senior would be to stop stressing and start pressing. My senior year of high school was full of athletic commitments, music performances, and college decisions. The weight of the decisions I had to make and the performance level I was expected to maintain was at times almost unbearable. Looking back, I would tell myself to set aside all of the little stresses of life and concentrate on the things that really mattered, like spending quality time with my family before leaving for college. Going to college is a big step in life. The transition was rough for me, but looking back, I can see that it taught me many lessons that have shaped who I am today. My final piece of advice would be to let the chips fall where they may. Some things are just destined to not work the way you want them to. Don?t stress too much over the transition to college life. Once you get there, you will have the experience of a lifetime. If I had come to that conclusion sooner, my transition into college may in fact have been a bit smoother.

Federico

Make your own schedule freshman year!!!

I would advice my self to be open to new things and not be set in my way of thinking. College challenges many things you have always thought to be ture or fact. Also, have fun but, be sure to study hard. Do not get carried away with hanging out with your new friends and forget about studying.

I would tell myself to make sure and work hard in college. It is not a place to goof off. College is fun but not to be taken lightly. I would also advice myself to not be to attatched to friends at home and be willing to make new friends at school. You will make lots of really great friends in college.

Courtney

My advice would be to look at all of the things a school has to offer and consider each quality. You may not end up at your first choice school, but discover that your second or third turned out to be a better experience.

Jenna

Choosing the "right" college is difficult and very stressful. I understand because I went to Arizona state University my freshmen semester and transfered to Anderson University. I would strongly reccomend visitng all the colleges a student is interested before making their final decision. Being able to actually be one campus and see what it is like can make the difference. I would encourage the student and family to not let money get in the way entirely or stop them from looking at a certain school. I believe that there are a lot of things possible, and there are scholorships out there. Most importantly, finding a school that a student feels that they would be comfrotable, accepted, and that there are curricular activities they are able to be involved with.

In selecting the right college, it is often easy for parents to become enamored with certain universities for different reasons, and often, it is different than how their child feels. In order to make the stressful process of picking the "right" college less stressful, ask your child questions about the school without giving off your personal vibe about the school. This way, your student will see the college more of a choice than seeing it as his/her parents' choice. Students, when picking a school, seriously contemplate the most important aspects for your life. If you dislike sports, attending a school that is engulfed with Big Ten football may not be your best choice. But don't limit yourself to only certain schools because of one good aspect. Look and discover all parts of the school; visit, participate, engage somehow on campus before you decide. A lot of your happiness at college depends on your love of the college as a whole, not simply just because the school has a good science department. It's a wonderfully challlenging adventure. Enjoy!

Katy

It is essential to a good college experience that a student select a school for the academic programs and reputation in the student's selected field, and also for the school's atmosphere. College should provide a well-rounded experience, allowing students to grow and mature both intellectually and emotionally. While many prospective college students base their choice on the reputation a school has among their peers, they should also take into account how the school of their choosing fits with their beliefs, and whether the atmosphere will affect them positively or negatively.

Courtney

First off, find a place that offers a degree in something you are truly passionate about. Research the faculty and see how experienced and reputable they are in their field. Also, look up some things about the alumni to see where they are now and what successes they are achieving now in their degree. If you are not sure of a major yet, find a place that offers a wide variety of options for you to test out and experiment with. Most importantly, make sure the size is what you are comfortable with - you do not want to feel overwhelmed by a huge campus if that is not what you are used to. Lastly, investigate the extra-curricular activities... You need to find your niche at this school, so make sure they offer things you are passionate about and love doing in your free time! These things (such as choirs, intramural sports, community service, etc.) could provide wonderful things to add onto your resume as well as giving you lifelong friends that you otherwise may not have met. Overall, do not be nervous and just BE YOURSELF!! People want to know who YOU are! :)

Deanne

College shapes who you become. Pick a college that will help you get to where you want to be and that will help you become the person you want to be.

David

Research the campus life and acedemics from current students, if possible, not from the school's administration because the school is a buisness and their job is to lure in prospective students. The school will present a image that may not be accurate or the experience presented may be irrelavant to a prospective student because it is from an administrator who won't know what the campus is "really like." Talk to students that are not employed by the prospective school. Make sure you visit the prospective school and find as much information before making a decision, but don't make a decision based on the institutes website or school visits.

Katie

Don't focus on the size, the school colors, or the number of students in each class. Although all of these things are important, what is most important is the feeling you have when you first step onto the campus and the feelings you take away.

Rebecca

I would encourage students to really research and investigate they are thinking about attending. Schools tend to look and sound flashier and better when they know that potential students are coming to visit the campus. They are trying to wow you into committing to their school. Students need to not only visit the campuses for official visits, but they need to make unofficial visits as well. They need to talk to current students about their likes and dislikes about the potential college. Prospective students also need to talk to the professors in the field they are thinking about studying in order to get a feel for their teaching styles and philosophies. Finally, the prospective students need to take a self-guided tour. They need to read the flyers about upcoming on and off-campus activities, find out where students most like to hang out/study, sit in on classes, and look around the campus building/dorms. These investigations will give prospective students valuable information about potential colleges, and they will help them make the right college choice.

Kelley

Find a campus you can call home, a school environment that meets your interests extra-curricularly, and a facutly/staff that challenges not only the way you learn, but your opinions of yourself and the world. You want to go to a university that will foster a sense of self-worth and value and will help you make your beliefs your own - not just those of your friends or family. When you can relate to those around you, you feel supported and ecouraged to not only strive to do your best, but to take chances and calculated risks - you learn your strengths and weaknesses. Without those you may never learn what it is like to thrive in an academic environment and you won't be motivated to do your best. You are paying a lot of money to get an education that will hopefully open lots of doors wide and offer a shining future, why not go to a university that will not only make you an intelligent employee, but a more well-rounded person?

Elenie

Go where you feel most welcome, because after you leave home, it's easy to fall into feeling alone. Also, never go into college with a boyfriend or a girlfriend. You meet so many other people and you will hold back if you are committed to someone.

David

The number thing I would advice parents to do would be to shop around. Look at you childs options and visit those colleges. To students: the most important part of have a great college experience is getting involved. You never know what you like until you try it. If you don't get involved then you might as well stay at home. It give you an opportunity to meet new people and have an influence in whatever you are doing. It's a great way to grow and find out whats really out there. Best of Luck and most importantly.....HAVE FUN!

It okay to go to college undecided - as long as you are motivated to figure that out.

Julie

Find a place that you feel comforable. Four years of a great experience is ahead and you want to be able to get the most out of it that you can. Be sure to do your research on colleges because what's right for one isnt necessarily for another. Dont go to a school just because your friends are going there. Really find an interest in your choice of college because that is where you will find the friends you will have for the rest of your life. Also, it is important to look at the activities the campus involves students in because you want to be sure to stay involved! Enjoy college, but make the most of it.

Sara

I would try to spend the night with a current student on a weekend and attend a few classes with that student also. I would make sure to room with someone that you have a simple connection with, not a good friend. I would see if it was practical financially and as far as the major you want and how well that school and how fast that school will get you to that job.

Make sure the school has a wide variety of options for majors because most students will change majors at least once during their college career. Also, look into how many of the graduates get good jobs or the jobs that they wanted. Also, talk to the students and get their personal and honest opinion about the school, the teachers, and the environment. This always helps to get a first hand opinion. Check to see how much financial aid is given out each year and how much you will have to take out in loans or see if there are multiple scholarships you will be able to apply for. Overall, make sure the environment is one in which you can see yourself being productive and not distracted by other "activities" that may pull you away from your focus on studying.

Ciara

Make sure you have found the right school and know what you want to do before you spend a lot of money on college. You will save yourself time and money.

Lindsay

Pick the one that best fits your needs in classroom sizes, area of study, religous beliefs, socially and by best location.

Claire

It is written.

Frank

Choose a college that will prepare you for the job you want, or choose one that will help guide you towards the career you like best.