Antelope Valley College

« See more reviews of Antelope Valley College

Knowing all the information i do now, i would tell myself to look into grants and scholarships. Not only that, but to tell him to get as much information about the college he wants to go to as possible. Preparation is key to be able to get the most out of college. Going into college without any knowledge gives you a disadvantage. Knowing what you want is important when your in college. Talking to counselors is important too. Even your high school counselors can help prepare you for college. Once you have a game plan, you will be ready for what is coming ahead of you and when it comes to college, knowing is everything. How much is it going to cost? What classes should i take? What will my major be? Questions, questions, questions. Ask as many questions as you can. Go to the college's website, talk to the adminstrators and ask questions. The most important thing is: know what you want. When you talk to your counselor, that is the first thing they will ask you. Preparation, knowing what you want, are important to be successful in college. Ask, learn, and college will be your playground.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself to wake up. Wake up to the reality of life and strive. Strive for what is the truth because the truth is what is right. Forget about the mass media, pop culture, distractions, and unimportant things that block us from the path of righteousness. Wake up and help your classmates to also look past the veil of ignorance that covers us all in our adolescent stage. I would tell myself to build a friendship between teachers instead of an ordinary student-teacher relationship, and take advantage of the knowledge and experience they posses. I would tell myself to also look for students who are also fearless of being different and knowing how to be a voice. I would tell myself to put in not only 100 percent of effort to succed, but 1000 percent. To criticize the student body and tell them to improve their ways of interacting, presenting, and representing lancaster hig school. To be an activist of peace and influence equality within all the students attending the school. Lastly, to try to make a new friend everyday.

If I had the opportunity to go back to my senior year of high school I would try to counsel myself the best way I know how. First, always insists on being early to anything to avoid being late because it can really make it terrible on future applications. Second, I would tell myself to definitely focus on my grades because that is very vital in the college placement process because it determines the schooling you have had that places you in the proper education level. Third, join as many beneficial clubs for your future. Not, just any club because it is fun type deal, but something that is meaningful to you, to the community, to the high school, to the club, and most importantly to the school that acknowledges your personal qualities and all that you have done for your community. The last thing I would tell myself is to try to focus more on the bigger picture in life instead of all the little unimportant things that may occur once in a while that can be a major distraction and that may deplete all the hard work you ever put in for that bright and better future.

If I were given the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, with the knowledge of the college experiences and transitions, it would be a great opportunity and I would make sure to give myself the best advice to be prepared. To think of the experiences I've encountered since starting college, there are two important things I would want myself to know. I've learned that your family is your best support system, so I would definitely remind myself that they will always be there to help and offer anything needed. Stepping out of high school to begin a new path, I expected myself to stick to a plan for school, but futher into college I became interested in different career paths, definitely placing me in tough times when I wasn't sure what direction I was heading. This being one of the toughest experiences, the second and most important piece of my advice would not to be afraid of change, but only to embrace it. Change is not bad, but is the only process of growing. I'm happy to say college is one of the greatest experiences in life.

The best decision you will make is to attend community college, because it will save you thousands of dollars. For example, you could’ve paid $20,000 a year if you had your way and attended Norwich University. By attending a school closer to home, the cost was cut down to $2,700. Interestingly enough, the price dwindled further to $1,400, because you applied for the Board of Governor’s fee waiver – which covers the price of your courses. You don’t stop there. Now, you will only pay $200 a year if you spend a good amount of time searching for deals on textbooks. I know you wanted to go to Yale University and I know you will, but in order to reach that dream and save money at the same time, I advise you to use community college as a transition from high school to the four-year university. Build your resume by focusing on one internship and two clubs; be passionate about them rather than tackling unnecessary tasks and wearing yourself down. Lastly, focus on your grades as they are the key to achieving your dreams and becoming more knowledgeable.

If I could go back as a high school senior and give myself advice that would be amazing. I would tell myself, to try to take harder classes with the harder teachers, not the easy "A" teachers just so I would be doing less work. I would tell myself to wake up more days and go to school, to experience my whole senior year, instead of playing sick just because I stayed out to late before. I would most definitely tell myself to tough through spanish, and that I will need it one day. Foreign language is so much harder is college. I would tell myself to be involved more, not just because field trips and associated study body gets you out of classes, but to cherish the experience. I would take more pictures, so I can show my children one day how great I was, so they can exceed what I did. I would tell myself to study more, and never settle for something that I know I could have done better on. I would go to more football games, and actually pay attention so have pride in my school. Then again I probably would not change a thing.

The person I am now is certainly different than who I was in High School, however I find I still have some of the same qualities, both good and bad. I was a dynamic character in High School freshman year to senior year was drastically different. What I would tell my freshman self is not to worry so much about what people think of you. You are a beautiful, intelligent, and awesome person. This life is fleeting so value other people for what is in their soul, and not how they look or what they can offer you. I would tell my senior self to not be so egocentric, yes you are an awesome person, use your good qualities to make a difference in the lives of others rather than just having fun, because it only last for a moment. And those thing you think are so fun does not benefit you, but can certainly be damaging. I would also tell myself that your value does not reside in your appearance, or how clever you think you are. No, you are valuable because you have a light that shines within you. Use it to light the world.

I recently had the opportunity to talk to my younger sister about my experiences, good and bad, about college life, so I know exectly what I would say. I would say, "Holly, you can't do this alone! I know you are an independant person, and you love to problem solve and figure things out for yourself but college is just a little bit bigger than you. It takes a village to raise a child and it takes an entire school to graduate a successful student. And don't worry if all your parents can contribute to your college experience is a pat on the back. There are ways to pay as long a you have a dream. All the money in the world is worth nothing without that dream. Take it and run as fast as you can but please remember to slow down every now and again to enjoy what you are learning and the experiences that you are having. Maybe if you follow this advise, our children won't have to feel like they are doing it alone. One last thing, don't be afraid of that communication 101 class, it will be the best experience ever."

I did not have a very difficult transition from high school to college. I chose to attend the community college in my city, which is where all of my good friends attended as well. I do not regret my decision, but if I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure to tell myself to get an early start in college courses. My biggest regret is not enrolling in at least a couple college courses while I was still in high school. It would have made life much easier and less stressful, as I am now packing many classes in my last semester here to be done after this next semester so I can transfer. It is not easy being a full time student/ athlete and working, but these are things that I need to do to have a successful future, and I will do whatever it takes to get me there. I was always a good student in high school, I just believe that taking some college courses while in high school would have helped out a lot. But life is a learning experience; you would never learn if you never made mistakes.

First of all, I would say that I definitely made the right choice going to a community college rather than straight to a 4 year. Going to a community college gave me more time to grow up and prepare myself for a better for life. Don't hold a grudge on your parents because they did the right thing. I would also tell myself to stop having the mentality that a community college is just like high school. I always thought that getting Cs was ok because it was passing but I realized that I couldn't get any scholarships with those grades. I would tell myself to go take the first year as serious as the last year because after it is going to be too late to fix my mistakes. Another important thing I would tell myself is that professors are not like high school teachers. They are not there to push you and if you fall then that's on you. Do not rely on the couselors like you did in high school because if YOU aren't on top of things then any little thing can go wrong and you suffer from those mistakes.