Santa Barbara, CA
Antioch University-Santa Barbara

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Antioch University-Santa Barbara

Janet

I am currently at this school and am proud to say I am a student at Antioch University Santa Barbara. The staff and professors are very warm and class sizes are small enough that we obtain help from professors. Also, it is a huge advocate of social justice!

CAMDEN

The teachers have been amazing. They have encouraged me to do a lot of my own research, and through this, I have made a lot of valuable discoveries and have been helpful in my life. The wonderful thing about Antioch is that you are encouraged and expected to do a lot of your own self motivated work.

CHRISTIE

Antioch is an amazing option for those that need a more flexible educational institution. Since their main focus is social justice, the need for standard quizzes, tests and the like are not there. Having an open discussion with everyone participating and engaged in their community is of utmost importance. I love it!

Andrea

Oddly enough, the worst thing about Antioch, was that the whole process to graduation want by so quickly. I had intended to grit my teeth and just life through it. I had no idea I was actually going to enjoy the process even more than the destination. Antioch had a small campus, without its own library, making it necessary to visit a larger university to do research. There were no sports and no exciting football games. The classes were small, often twenty or fewer student in the class. Many might see these as negitives, but not for me.

I had learning disabilities and didn't think I could earn an undergraduate degree, let along a double Masters. Little did I know I would not only discover that my abiity to think creatively would be appreciated, but required. At one point in the middle of my first quarter, I just wasn't getting Freud. I felt defeated and was about to drop out of school. In desperation I visited my student advisor confessing my situation. She advised me to speak with my instructor about it. "What good will that do? It isn't the teachers fault I'm not getting the material. She can't change the way she teaches the class just for me." "She can here," was the reply. Doubtful, I forced myself to make an appoinment with my teacher and told her my problem. To my utter shock she told me, "Andrea, you're trying too hard. Just relax. Trust that one day it will all be there." Several weeks later, sitting in the Rose Cafe, just across from the campus with some other students talking about our studies I suddenly started arguing Freud. Forever more I' have gratefully trusted my ability to learn.

At Antioch memorizing material and spitting it out, isn’t an option. Students must include their own thinking to all studies and assignments. Documenting life experience for college credit is encouraged, and personally affirming. There are no tests or grades though we always knew where we stood. Rather than a letter grade, a full written evaluation is given for each class. This richly empowering education formed who I became. Antioch’s primary goal is to produce creative thinkers, a trait I needed for this survey as I attended Antioch, Venice California (Los Angeles). Santa Barbara was the closest campus listed.

Antioch University-Santa Barbara administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.