Appalachian State University Top Questions

The most fustrating thing about Appalachian State University is the food services program we have. I feel like my university can serve better food for those who are vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. I have many friends who eat off campus because their allergies will not ab=llow them to be able to eat the food offered at this university. Although we have a McAlisters and a Chick-fil-A, I believe we should be able to add in more restaurants that will benefit those who have certain eating restrictions.

Abigail

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there is not much to get out and do unless you are an outdoorsy type of person and enjoy campling, hiking, or skiing.

The lack of stuff to do in your spare time because it is a small town.

Samuel

The most frustrating aspect of Appalachian is the constant underage drinking and complete disregard for respecting others. Many a time I have entered the dorm's public restrooms to the smell of alcohol and vomit, and sometimes that alcohol-vomit mixture was covering the inside of the bathroom stalls. The incessant talk of illegal drug use is exasperating and a moral burden as is the open discussion of having sex. Many a times I have personally overheard conversations of people taking illicit drugs and sometimes bragging about almost getting arrested as if breaking the law is socially approved.

how cold it would get

Jonathon

The cold weather is difficult in the winter

Megan

No Diversity

Kyle

There are a lot of great things about my school, but I would have to say the most frustrating thing about it is the constant construction going on around campus. It's great that the college is improving itself from year to year, but some of the construction sites are an eye-sore when placed within the beautiful mountain scenery surrounding campus.

David

We live in a nearly constant tundra and our classes are never, ever canceled. This might seem a small plight, but when parking lots are coated with three inches of God's frozen tears, we could all deserve a little break. If you're free-spirited, you could set up a tent in the back corner of the library and avoid the morning cattle-car trudge. Otherwise, pull up tight your long johns and brave the frigid expanse to health class.

Rashona

The most frustrating thing about my school is not knowing if classes will be canceled because of winter weather until the last minute. The only way a student can find out if classes are canceled is from the internet via the school website or email. If morning classes are not canceled and afternoon classes are a student may not know that their afternoon classes are canceled until they have already arrived.

Alexis

Honestly its walking to class in the snow. Having late classes I can barely see and I'm rushing, trying not to fall, back up the hill so I can get to my dorm where its warm.

The most frustrating thing about Appalachian is probably the weather. Not that it isn't tolerable, but it can be rather chilly and it does snow quite often. You must dress properly to handle the weather.

Caroline

The most frustrating thing about Appalachian State University is how difficult it is to get credit for classes that you want to transfer in from another university. In my experience as a transfer student, Appalachian accepts most transfer credits as elective classes, and the process required to change those credits into ones you actually need can be complicated. Such complications also effect registering for classes, because while your credits are being processed it is unclear what classes you still need to take.

Jed

Sometimes the transportation is an issue when living off campus because of the weather.

Lindsey

My school seems to care more about football than academics and the students fall in line with that and similar thought-processes.

Erin

Sometimes the buses are late

Whitney

How hectic Boone is on Saturdays that we have a football game.

Cassie

The thing that frustrates me most about my school is the lack of diversity. As a Caucasian who grew up in a predominately African-American city, I find myself most comfortable when I am around people that are different from myself. Moving Durham County, where I was technically classified as a minority, to Watauga County, where the minority rate is barely 2{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}, has been a difficult adjustment for me to make. If I could change one thing about Appalachian, it would be make the campus more diverse, not only racially, but also religiously, culturally, and socio-economically.

Chlo?

Perhaps the most frustrating aspect about attending Appalachian State is the local transportation system, known as Appalcart. It is free public transportation within the Boone city limits, and it is usually available every school day. However, often it can be sort of unreliable. They have a printed and online schedule of when and where it is supposed to stop, but it rarely shows up at the time specified. However, this is really only an inconvenience for students who don't have access to their cars on campus. The campus is small enought that you can really walk anywhere you need.

Brooke

The most frustrating thing about ASU is the general advising staff.

Todd

The time that it takes for Financial Aid to get to the students.

Jordan

For me the most frustrating thing is the lack of major venues, city squares, and general late-night night life. It is a scenic small mountain town located in the Appalachia. A little rural for me, but perfect if you love hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing and beautiful mountain scenery.

Cold

In the business part alot of grades are just 3 or 4 tests, so if you mess up one theres not a lot of chance to fix it.

Justin

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of on campus parking. When I have places to go I have to walk a mile or so and then if I park on campus, even for five minutes I risk getting ticketed.

Zach

Everyone is extreme in their beliefs and often times not very considerate of those around them.