Appalachian State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Appalachian State University

Jocelyn

It's a good school, despite being a pretty big campus, it feels rather small and knit-together. There are events held every so often for everyone, although Covid did contribute to everything being different for my first year. There are on-campus jobs for anyone that needs to work but doesn't have transportation. This is how I was able to find great people outside of class. There are also many extracurricular activities.

Rivers

I really like going to App! At first I was unsure I had made the right decision, but I quickly fell in love! If you don’t like the outdoors, this isn’t the school for you. Located in the beautiful mountains, you can always find something fun to do! The professors are all very kind, and are always willing to help you out!

Michelle

Overall, Appalachian has an amazing sense of community. People are not afraid to go out of their way to be kind to you or make you feel welcomed. Students are very laid back and want to enjoy every second of the day. This is no hostile environment and this is truly a judgement-free zone. No matter how hard we want to judge the barefoot campus walkers, we just let it go. App State has the best college experience because there a huge sense of pride from the town and alumni. I recommend everyone to at least apply to this wonderful university.

Cecilia

I absolutely love Appalachian State University. Not only is the view amazing and pretty to wake up to but the students and faculty are overwhelmingly friendly. Classes are fun and I have not had one professor who was not willing to help me or talk with me. There is plenty to do in Boone and you will not regret attending the University.

Carter

Appalachian State University is my home away from home. This school is welcoming, and provides great opportunities for students to become involved on campus. On campus housing is improving, and construction is a constant on campus, but you get used to it. I would highly recommend coming here.

Appalachian has a great community! The people that attend are amazing. They do need to work on the campus security, if that is the one bad thing about this campus is that its police needs to step up and actually take action.

I love the mountains. I love Boone.

Jas

Business classes are amazing and challenging. Professors keep regular office hours and help you when you want them to. Can't say about the other classes because i am only in business. I do know that the language department and the music department are good from what i hear.

Aaron

I absolutely love App State! Everyone I have met, both students and faculty/staff are really kind. While the university is not very ethnically diverse, the people on campus are very diverse and unique. Beautiful school, in the heart of the mountains in Boone, NC, there are so many fun things to do.. especially outdoors.

Wil

Appalachian State University has been a good school in my experience. It is worth attending for the library alone. They have a better section on fine arts than the last school I attended, which was an art and design school. Even generally speaking their library and online database are vast and never leave me wanting. If you are interested in the outdoors, there are plenty of hiking and camping opportunities. Although the town resources are somewhat sparse, and the classes are not always as focused as they should be, overall Appalachian is a good school filled with kind, helpful people.

as a female and a minority, not a good experience at all.

Jim

Not good. Just a very narrow minded place. For anyone not from these tiny towns in Western North Carolina I would seriously give you a WARNING about attending here, visiting here (which that is limited). I would say well over 95% of the student body comes from these type of backgrounds, and that's not a putdown, but that's what you will find here. I hate to say this but there's a reason HB2 passed in North Carolina and that's what you will find here the same mentality of person. If you're a minority, I would even add double so to be cautious before applying/attending.

kaitlin

The campus is beautiful year round and people are pretty friendly. Most of the professors make themselves available to you for any questions or concerns. The football games are full of energy and there's always something going on around campus after classes!

Alexander

I just transferred to App in the fall of 2019 and have yet to regret it. I absolutely love the campus. It's rather large, beautiful, and the faculty is very student focused. I thoroughly enjoy how accessible the professors and instructors are and how the earn for students to learn the material, not just memorize it in order to recite it for an exam.

Shelby

My overall opinion of Appalachian State University is that it gives you a small town feel in a big student body. Everyone is so understanding and accepting that you can get to know anyone. There is always something going on, on campus so you are never bored!

emma

When I think of Appalachian University, I think of uncomfortable comfortability. I know that sounds odd but Appalachian is full of new cultures, colors, food, art and amazing students. The mountain range is just the beginning of the excitement, having the opportunities to reach out to thousands of students is endless. Every person on campus comes from a different background and is accepting of that background. Appalachian State is an easy place to call home away from home.

Amber

Appalachian state is a great up and coming college. There truly is something for everyone here; great campus, great people and wonderful professors. You will find your group no matter what you are interested in. There are hippies, greeks and much more here at App. There are some things left to be desired in terms of overall school structure but it's an all around great place to be. (Don't come up if you don't like snow though!)

Allison

App State's campus is beautiful and the students and faculty are very friendly. Here Some of the things I wish I had known coming in as a freshman: 1. You might not have air conditioning in your dorm freshmen year, in fact it is very likely. Invest in a good fan for your dorm room because every store in Boone will inevitably be sold out on move-in day. 2. If you join a Residential Learning Communities (RLC) your freshman year, you will most likely have air conditioning and be in one of the newer dorms. You will also all take a freshman seminar together. An RLC is a great way to make friends. 3. The Freshmen 15 is totally a thing. When you first arrive at App you will most likely lose about 5 pounds form all the walking around campus... but as soon as it gets really cold outside, you will hibernate in your dorm and eat a tone of junk food and gain 15 pounds. 4. The food is kind of hit or miss at the dining halls. I personally liked breakfast at the Trivette dining hall the best. 5. The cheese cake at App is REALLY GOOD. 6. If you have the time/energy to do so, meal prep for the week is great when your meal plan, aka monopoly money, is running low. 7. IT GETS COLD. AND IT GETS DRY. Never had a nose bleed in your life? Well get ready. The solarium is my favorite study spot on campus because it stays at a comfortable humidity all year round. 8. You will forget about that night class that only meets once a week and runs 6:30 to 9:00. If you are on the complete opposite side of campus, running without your book bag, you can make it in 5 minutes. 9. It can also be unbearably hot. Some of the older buildings also do not have hair conditioning. Be prepared to sweat though the class you just ran to. 10. You know how your parents say they walked to and from school uphill both ways in the snow, sleet, rain, or blistering heat? Well you get to experience this geographic and meteorological phenomenon too! You will want to arrive a few minutes early to class to catch your breath and stop sweating after your walk. 11. The ducks are wonderful beings that live at the Duck Pond year-round. On bad days, I like to hope that all my tuition goes to the duck’s corn feed. 12. FREE TUTORING IS AVAILABE. Take advantage of it! If you think you are going to do poorly in a class, go ahead and sign up! It is not embarrassing to get help if you are struggling. It would be more embarrassing to fail the class. 13. Take advantage of your professor’s office hours! Talking to your professors or asking questions after class is not weird at all! By the end of my first year I now know most of the professors in my department and a large portion of them know me by name ( I am a Geology major). 14. If research is your jam, take advantage of guest speakers hosted by your department! It is a great way to broaden your horizons and make new contacts. Even better if the speaker is your professor, they may talk more in depth about things covered in class. 15. Join a club that interests you! You don’t even have to be a very active member, but it is a great way to meet new people. 16. Take advantage of the school’s location. Go on a hike, jump off a water fall, or visit the parkway! Those new people you just met in that club, they are going caving next week and invited you. GO EXPLOR A CAVE! 17. Most importantly, do not be afraid to try new things. Your first semester classes should be a breeze, so take advantage of your light class load and have fun! That is my two cents about the App State college experience.

Janao

In my opinion Appstate is a great university. There is a very specific atmosphere here which I really like. Walking over campus it is not rare to see people walking barefoor, laying in a hammock or slacklining. As for the teachers I feel like they really want to help the students and are very supporting. The ones I have had have a great knowledge over the subject they teach. Overall, ASU is a great college where I have found friends for life and have learned a lot!

Raquel

I definitely chose this school for its overall atmosphere and environment, and I still stand by that! Everyone is kind and focused on their studies. It’s a very calm and relaxed atmosphere which I enjoy a lot. The professors are all experienced and want the best for their students.

Dalton

You you don't search for fun you won't find it. But there is always a breath taking view in and around campus

Kaitlyn

It is one of the most beautiful campuses out there and there is so much to do near by such as visit the mountains or to go skiing. There are around 500+ clubs and they're all amazing. If you can't find a certain club, you can always make one. The professors are wonderful and will always be there to help. Classes are challenging, but if you try your best there's no way you cannot pass. I love this university and I'm going to miss it when I graduate.

maria

BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS

Jacob

While ASU has gained quite the reputation for being an open-minded university, it is far from that. In the same day of my first and only semester there I witnessed a group of men with signs chanting about my eternal damnation (mine for having tattoos, but they seemed to have found a reason to banish every student who passes) and a group of LGBT activists formed a mob of 60+ people marching through the center of the college chanting "We are the collective;" literally a call for mob rule. There was a great sense of group identities and identity politics throughout the school, such as the climbing community (of which I was very excited to become a part of) constantly making empty promises to provide announcements and bulletins posts of their upcoming excursions and the inclusivity advocates of campus refuting any dissenting opinions to their philosophy with chants, boos, and hatred. Among the chaos of this semester, there was also a collegiate tennis player who was barred from the team for using racially-charged profanity against one of his opponents ("At least I know who my dad is," I believe the statement was). As far as academics were concerned, I was generally quite surprised with the friendliness and helpfulness of my professors. I had one bad egg, but I don't know anyone who hasn't come across an egotistical professor before. Two people of notice, Dr.Searfoss and Dr.Candar (forgive the lack of the Turkish "C"), were always very quick to reply to me via email or phone call whenever I had questions or concerns during class. They would extend their availability beyond office hours if students really needed the help, and I remember more than once having a very pleasant chat with them in their respective classes about the material and our shared interest in it. If I had to summarize ASU, I would say that is a place where education is valued by few, but valued greatly by them. It is a place where those with the loudest voices are heard, and those who have less to say are generally ignored. If I could take more classes in my department without ever having to step foot on the actual campus again, I would in a heartbeat, but online class structure simply isn't where it should be in 2018.

Jaclyn

The four years I spent at Appalachian State were some of the best. App has a lot to offer, including a variety of academics, a great football team, supportive faculty, greek life, service/leadership opportunities, competitive intramural sports, a beautiful campus, multiple organizations for involvement, and of course the mountains! If you're a fan of beautiful scenery, fun football Saturdays, an eclectic downtown, and great people, then App could be the place for you!

Appalachian is an amazing school. Although it does not have a lot to do in the town of Boone, there are outdoor activities all year around such as hiking, tubing, snowboarding, zip lining, and even hammocking is considered a sport. Football is almost a religion here, but academics are still taken very seriously. Everyone is friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand and the surrounding area is one of the most beautiful in the world. I would never consider going anywhere else.

Appalachian is awesome. There's about 18,000 students so it's big enough, but not too big. There's greek life for those who want it, but those who don't won't feel left out. Awesome art program and education program. I'm a sophomore and have only been in one class over 100.

Alyssa

I love App. Not only is it nestled in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains, but the town of Boone itself is a lively and interesting area to live. While the school could do with some upgrades, particularly in the academic and housing buildings like Sanford Hall and the traditional style on-campus housings, there are also so many wonderful pluses for App. The thing that I'm always pleasantly surprised by is the level of care and dedication the people who work at App give. From the food service workers to the professors to the janitorial staff, everyone I've met at App State has been kind and invested in the well-being and progress of the students.

Joseph

At App State we care about your money not your success!!!! If you are a traditional student with plenty of money this is a golden school if not you better look else where. Every administrator and adviser I have met were big headed and like you to do everything on your own since they are getting paid so little to do it I guess even though you better have a small fortune stashed back for just one semester.

jeremy

I love the campus, academics, culture of being a Appalachian student. No other school I would want to be at. Everyone is extremely nice and ready to learn. So many different things to get involved in on campus and off campus. All professors are great at explaining material and making sure students succeed.

Meagan

Located in Boone, NC, Appalachian State University is an exceptional school. With a student body of approximately 18,000, Appalachian provides a wide range of areas of study, while maintaining small class sizes which allows for individual, personalized attention. The professors are generally friendly and approachable as well as well versed in what they teach. In addition to the two coffee shops and restaurant on campus, there are also a lot of coffee shops, restaurants, and stores within walking distance of campus which makes it really easy to get around and provides a number of places for one to study and/or socialize. There are a plethora of places to hike and explore in Boone and the surrounding towns which include some amazing views. One of the coolest things about Appalachian is that you can take skiing or snowboarding as an elective. Compared to other colleges, Appalachian is pretty affordable. Unlike most other colleges, Appalachian offers a rental program for their textbooks, meaning that you can get your textbooks for a much lower price than normal. The number of clubs and campus ministries you can get involved in are endless and there is something for everyone whether you like to go white water rafting, knit, or review films. I would definitely recommend Appalachian State University to someone who loves nature, wants to go to a school that isn't too small or too big, and who craves adventure.

Appalachian Sate University is a well-rounded community that cares about the individual student and their experience on campus as well as the society in which we live. The atmosphere is warm and inviting and the majority of students and faculty are very friendly. I always feel at home here, both on campus and off.

Nia

I really loved Appalachian when I went to go visit! The helpers were energetic and engaging, without coming off as fake or trying too hard. My tour guide Shania was really funny and helpful. The campus is GORGEOUS and you get a small town vibe with a big campus feel and that is what I was looking for in the college I wanted to spend the next four years at, as a Senior in High School.

Yaneli

My overall opinion on Appalchian State University as a transfer student when I went to visit was amazing. The tour guides and helper were engaging and helpful. When walking on the tour, it gave off a good vibe and environment sense. I feel great about the environment by the University being in the mountain region. As for the vibe, everyone is kind and focused on their studies. It seems like s calm , collected, relaxed atmosphere in which one day I hope to be a part of.

Saylor

As a rising senior, I can genuinely say that I have enjoyed my time at Appalachian State. Even with three years behind me, there is so much more want to learn and do over the course of my next year! Appalachian is known as a friendly and inviting school with a diverse group of individuals who care about one another. I can testify that these descriptions are fact. Appalachian is mostly a liberally-dominated environment and this is my only complaint as a student - tolerance is not as high for political views that are not classified as liberal.

Olivia

Appalachian State University is a wonderful school with a beautiful campus surrounded by the Appalachian mountains. I have attended many different camps at App as well as football games and visits. Everyone that attends Appalachian shows their school pride constantly which has drawn me to want to be a Mountaineer.

Morgan

As is the case with every college/ university, Appalachian State has its pros and cons. It has a beautiful campus and a very diverse community of students from all around the globe. The surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains add to the peaceful scenery, and the classes are engaging and productive. Football is big at our school- we're still not over our big win over Michigan! The dorms are small, but of course what room isn't small when two college kids are sharing it? The architecture is pleasant to look at with the matching red brick facades mixed in with modern lighting. The cost is high, like at most schools, and although I love App State, my current loans will put me in debt for the rest of my life so I am seriously considering transferring to a community college. It is a heartbreaking thought because App State is my dream school, but as a military child and the third person in my family to go to college, I cannot handle the tuition and fees. But despite the cost, Appalachian State is a truly incredible place to study at and call home.

Jada

Appalachian State University has so much to offer outside of the classroom. There are over 400 clubs and so many ways to connect with people. However, we lack diversity and understanding of each other's culture. Also, there are lots of ways to get into trouble, such as our drug and alcohol problem. The dorms are very small and almost depressing because of the beige, brick walls and there aren't a lot of modern off campus options that are near by and there isn't a lot to do off campus either but thank God the people here are inviting and so friendly. Overall, there is good sense of community but App State has it's downsides, such as the bad things that are available and the not so homey dorm rooms.

Anne

I absolutely loved my time at Appalachian State. I respected most of my teachers who genuinely wanted us to learn and succeed. Whatever you're interested in extra-curricular wise you will definitely find it and there is plenty of fun stuff to do to balance out the school work. I just wish there were more diversity on campus.

Ryan

My overall opinion of Appalachian State University is that it is a great college to attend. The people are generally friendly and there are many chances to do activities. I have learned things like swing and contra dancing and I also got into slacklining. There are ways to use the outside as your personal gym and you can get a full body workout.

Macon

I really enjoy attending school at Appalachian State University. The campus is beautiful, the faculty are very nice, and the academics are challenging. One thing I really appreciate is how cared for I feel as a student--I feel like I'm not just another number on a page.

Marlen

I adore this school! The teachers and staff here are incredibly kind and supportive, they will do anything they can to ensure your success. I love the students here as well, they are all very respectful. This school feels like home from the second you step onto campus.

Christina

Appalachian is one of the most beautiful and diverse universities that I have ever visited. The staff and students are very helpful and treat every person on that campus with respect and equality. I thought I was not going to fit in but I met a lot of people at orientation who felt the same way I did and we clicked instantly. This is such a wonderful college. I don't really even see it as a university, I see it more as a community of learning and teaching one another to better themselves mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Elise

My visit was during the summer. It was very rainy that day. Our guide did a wonderful job despite the weather. We were able to get into several of the buildings that seemed maintained. There is no formal parking on campus. I did like that there was a requirement for an outdoor class. The proximity to the downtown was great.

Kyleigh

Appalachian State University is the most beautiful school you could ever go to. Throughout my whole freshman year I was awed by the view of the mountains I woke up to every morning. Everything is within walking distance, the campus is full of energy, and the professors are amazing.

Overall, I enjoy App State. The newer dorms are usually very clean and organized. The only couple things I would change is that the cafeteria have more vegetarian options, lower prices, and more events on campus. Campus is beautiful and the area is fantastic, with a lot of extra curricular activities to do off campus. I don't plan of transferring!

Angelica

Overall, everyone that attends Appalachian State has a very welcoming and helpful attitude and there is an incredibly safe atmosphere. I wish there were more diversity in the student population, but the university is constantly adapting to find more ways to incorporate diversity and expand study abroad programs. The student union is a great place to find any resources you may need and even find employment on campus. Professors are genuinely helpful and almost always available. Appalachian State is truly a place to go to find people who want you to succeed in life and will help you get there.

Rebekah

My overall opinion of Appalachian State University is that App is a great place to go to school. It's a friendly campus that has something for everyone. Even if there is not something you're interested in, you can start a club that does interest you.

Hunter

Great place with many different opportunities. I feel great about the environment in the mountainous region and the people in Boone as a whole. The people are very welcoming and kind. The university offers many majors and minors that range from accounting to art to history, which is a very broad selection. I'm very use to the environment because my brother attended the university for two years.

Melody

Appalachian State University is overall a great school! It feels as if it were a small community where everyone can come together and are completely friendly to each other! The staff, teachers, and faculty are great people as well. So many opportunities are offered on and off this campus. I'm glad I chose to come to App State because I wouldn't have met a few of the most caring teachers I know as well as the friendliest people that attend here.