Grand Rapids, MI
Aquinas College-Grand Rapids

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Aquinas College-Grand Rapids

Connor

My classmates engage me inside and outside the classroom by allowing me to explore other perspectives while enjoying extracurricular activities to ease the academic rigor of the classroom.

Despite being rooted in the Catholic Dominican Tradition, Aquinas allows students of other faith traditions to openly express their views. Additionally, the location of campus is within a five minute drive of several different places of worship for several faith traditions.

Never underestimate the value of hard work. Be prepared to make sacrifices to make ends meet. Although some days taking on multiple jobs may seem overwhelming, it may be necessary to afford your college education. You have dreams now, of what your life will be like. These dreams probably include what college be like. Be flexible with your expectations. Some of the best college experiences are free and unorganized. Engage other students outside of the classroom. Learn about where your peers come from. By learning their stories you enrich your story. Get involved. Don't simply sign up for a club because everyone else does. You don't seem to connect to any of the clubs? That is okay, start a new one! And most of all, none of it matters if you do not have fun, learn, and grow from the four years you will spend in college.

Ruben

Aquinas College is an environmentally green and welcoming university.

Aquinas College is an environmentally green and welcoming university.

We are best known for our greenness and teaching program.

I would tell my high school self to break up with the girlfriend before going to college (before summer started even), save all the money you will make during the summer, not to go into pre-med because you won't like it (switch to accounting/economics), don't join over 15 clubs but rather focus primarily on 5 clubs at college, change your roommate preference so you would be able to get a better roommate, and don't get into a relationship until you actually want to.

Jacquelynn

Aquinas is very open to everyone of all races, religious preferences, and sexual orientation; allowing people to fit in and find a place where they feel safe and comfortable at.

Focus more on school, and don't allow yourself to assume that you can get by without studying like high school. You're going to miss your family and friends but you will make new friends and your family will always be there for you when you come home. This is your future, and there is no second chances.

My school is always there to help the students. I had some trouble with some classes, which is why my GPA is low, however, I have been assigned a new advisor, a counselor, academic help and the opportunity to retake the failed course, which I plan to do in the fall. This will replace the previous grade and boost my GPA. The professors, advisors, students and faculty hired for academic help are all very supportive.

Elisabeth

If I were able to go back in time to give advice to myself, I would first tell myself to get into the habbit of saving money. School is a lot more expensive than I anticipated. I would have told myself to get more involved with the community and after school clubs, in order to be eligible for more scholarships. I would have suggested to start small. If you do not have the income or scholarships to go to a well-known university, that is okay. Start at a community college to help cut costs and then transfer. Community college is a great place to help find out who you are, what you believe, and what you want to be. The diverse atmosphere allows a well educated opinion to be formed and an experience with other cultures. I would have told myself to not look down on a community college experience. Finally, check into all your options, and do not be afraid to ask questions. If I had asked more questions in high school about college, I am convinced I would have no debt going to school now.

The thing I consider the worst about my school is not really that bad for prospective students. It is the schedule of classes. The normal class schedule for my major in languages is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. I have transferred from another college and I prefer to go four days straight; however, since the school prides itself in being a smaller and more personable, the staff tends to make their own schedule. This doesn't allow room for students with a lot of other responsibilities, because the classes are generally offered during the day, etc . . .

I would consider the worst thing about Aquinas to also be the most frustrating thing, because I am use to being able to choose classes around my work schedule. Now I have to go by the schools guidelines/scheduling just to take the classes that I have to take to earn my degree. It can be challenging also, when there is not enough space in a class, because the school wants smaller class sizes; however, the benefits are that you have better relationships with the professor and are allowed more office hours with them.

Kevin

College has been so beneficial to me because it has given me a chance to continue my running career and through this, I have become the happiest I ever have been. My teammates have become my family and have always been there for me. Running has always been important in my life and in college, my love for running has expanded so much. I am glad that I continued my running throughout college. College has given me the chance to realize that I want to become a teacher and help high school students get to college. My college experience has presented me with opportunities to branch out and create new friends. I thought that I wanted to be a teacher when I graduated from high school but when I got to Aquinas, my advisors helped me reach that goal. They gave me the right classes to take, what tests I need to take and they gave any other advice that I needed. Without college, my life would be very different today, and I'm very happy that I decided to attend.

If you want a big time school feel. This is a very small campus, and is only about a half mile long.

At times the school can feel a little lonely because it is such a small school, but being in clubs and varsity sports really helps this.

Deborah

College has taught me who I am and not only allowed me to polish my talents and abilities. It has assisted me in learning my flaws and understanding ways to grow and mature from them. I have gained friendships that I hope to keep for the rest of my life. College has also taught me how to adapt to my environment without changing who I am as a person. I have learned how to be diverse around others and interact without losing my identity. College has been a growing experience for me and Aquinas is a great school. I have gained education that I do not believe I would get anywhere else. Mentally I have grown and been able to hold conversations with many different people with different views. I have been taught to think outside the square and sometimes to even consider the grass on the other side before making hasty decisions or comments. Looking at the overall picture of something and what it says to someone else, can help you see what the artist was attempting to portray in one simple stroke. College is an amazing experience that I learn from every day and love it.

A person who likes big environments and so many people that you can't know all of them. Aquinas is a small school and family like, if you don't like that, don't go here.

Nora

Aquinas College is a welcoming community, almost like a family that encourages you to be your own person and will personally help you to achieve your educational and professional goals.

My roommate’s alarm goes off, I wake up, get dressed and the two of us head out the door for our 8 AM Biology lecture. We walk through the forest-like campus, exchanging greetings with familiar faces as the sun comes up. I sit through the fifty minute lecture about the Nervous System and stay a few minutes after class to talk to my professor about last night’s episode of The Office. This description was a typical morning on my small college campus. Going to a small school was better than I ever imagined. Being a Biology major, I was able to talk to my professors often. They really cared about me and my future. For me, college was not only about academics, but about relationships. The relationships I made in college have helped me grow into the person I am today and helped me to achieve my professional goal of becoming a Physician Assistant. Without my college experience, I would definitely not be where I am now—getting ready to start graduate school. I am grateful that my experience has changed me in many positive ways and I have my Aquinas College community to thank for that.

There are hardly any complaints that I have about Aquinas College but if I had to list one it would probably be that because the college is so small, it can be difficult to get into a class that you want because only one section is offered and it is at the same time as another class. For example, I was a Biology major and a Spanish minor and the times of my science classes conflicted often with the times of the spanish classes.

Michelle

Aquinas is the smallest school that I applied for. It is only about 2,600 students. A lot of the other universities I toured I didnt feel like I was welcomed or really at home. When I came to visit AQ on AQ day I felt like I was at home because everyone knows eachother.

In high school I never really knew what college was about. I thought it was just a time to move out and go to classes just like high school. My school was set in preparing students academically for college, so I was set for classes. But I don't think I was ready for the amount of people I would meet. I came from a Catholic school of about 520 students. Going from that to a college of 2,600 was a little bit overwhelming. It would have helped me a lot if I could have spent time on campus more than just the few individual days I came to visit. If I was a senior again and I could tell myself anything, I would tell myself to not worry. No matter where I go I have all the opportunities at my fingertips and I just have show people that I can do whatever I set my mind to. I was shy in high school and I thought that I was always going to be shy and that college was just a big high school. But now I know I can do anything if I have the confidence in myself.

The best thing to me is the autmosphere. At a lot of big universities you are in a class of 100 or more. My largest class so far here is 20 students. I get a lot more one on one time with my professers. I am open at any time to schedule office hours and they will help me directly. Some of my professors even hand out there personal numbers because they want to help you.

Abigail

Dear Abbie, Transitioning into college life is going to be more difficult than you think. I know you think being farther from home isn't going to be a big deal. You think that you'll be perfectly content away from your family and your friends. Abbie, you'll be wrong. The transition into college is going to be a difficult one. You're going to miss the people that you spent your entire life growing up with. You're going to wish you chose somewhere closer to home. Don't give up. You'll make it through. You're a strong and confident girl-don't ever forget that. Make friends you can trust and have fun with. Don't succumb to peer pressure and don't put yourself in uncomfortable situations. Remember all that you were taught growing up. Don't forget about your life in high school, but don't dwell on it either. Thinking about how great your life was back then does not change your current situation and only makes things harder. Embrace where you are in your life because college is going to fly by even quicker than high school did. Good luck!

When I tell my friends about Aquinas College, I typically tell them how lucky I was to be able to attend a small school that reminded me of my small hometown and run track and cross country for them. I brag about my small class sizes and personal attention I get from professors, and I tell them that it's only a five minute walk from one end of campus to the other. I also tell them about the wonderful roommate I was paired up with at the begining of freshman year and how we'll be friends forever.

The most frusturating thing about Aquinas is the distance it is from my house. I live three and a half hours from home, which makes it very difficult to go home for a weekend if I want to. It's also irritating that most people do go home on weekends and, because of that, there is very little to do on campus. Our meals on weekends aren't good, there's no entertainment, and hardly anything is open on campus. If people aren't at home durring the weekend, most of them go to parties and drink. :(

Kelbi

I would advise myself to make as many friends as possible, as quickly as possible. Choosing the college that I did I am further away from home then most of my graduating class. So I would definetly tell myself to make as many friends as possible. I would also tell myself to get out and have fun. When someone invites me to do something I should go. I would tell myself just to pick classes that I want and have fun with them, as well as take more than 15 credits every semester so I can graduate on time. The last thing that I would tell myself to do is to get off Facebook and actually go do all of the things that I just mentioned as well as study a little more.

The cafeteria food because they have to be able to make something easy for a lot of students so the food is not always good. But I think this happens at most college's.

The tpe of person that should not attend the college I am at is someone who is not into buisness or the liberal arts. Aquinas college is a very good college for someone who is thinking about majoring in English, a foreign language, and art, or even buisness. Aquinas is a college of Liberal arts

Aquinas College-Grand Rapids administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.