Glenside, PA
Arcadia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Arcadia University

Sara

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life, I would tell myself to come to a definite decision as to what I want to do in life, before determining which college is the right fit. Also I would inform my high school-self to work hard and save up as much money as possible, in order to relieve the cost of post-high school reponsibilities. Another important piece of information I would be sure to include is that being self-sufficient is extremely important, and what I imagine to be one of the best feelings in the world, which you should always strive for. The final words of advice I would include would be that everybody's situation is different, and the only person's situation you can control is yours, but try to not let anyone or anything prevent you from achieving your goals, especially if that does person or situation doesn't benefit you, your well-being, or outlook on life.

The worst thing about my school are the expenses. Arcadia University is a small, private, and very expensive university, where I sometimes find myself struggling to support myself and unable to "keep up with the Jones'". During the last four semesters I was working at least two, on-campus jobs via work study jobs, just managing to get by. The price of living on campus is extremely high, as well as off campus because of the high cost of living in the Glenside, PA area. It would be wonderful to not have to worry about money so frequently.

Positive aspects of Arcadia University that I would "brag about" to my friends would include the small classroom sizes that allow for easy accesibility to and interaction with my professors for any questions I may have, the university's campus and location which provides the students with access to the city of Philadelphia and the surrounding shopping centers/parks/restaurants, etc, and the opportunity to hear from graduate students currently studying in my related field of study, to better understand what to expect when I'm in their position as a graduate student at Arcadia.

daisy

My school integrates with so many countries.

My school integrates with so many countries.

My school is best known for their study abroad programs and bringing in students from across teh globe to participate at Arcadia.

The advice that I would give myself would be do not start slacking off any time soon. Hhard work definiely pays off. Do not worry about getting into a relationship because they are in the way of your education. Take as many AP or IB courses as you can because they count for so many credits in college. you need them. The more credits you have, the less classes you have to take. The less classes you have to take, the less money you have to pay because you are not in a good economic state. College changes you and you need to start looking for a part time job. It will help pay off thing sthat you will need whne you get here. Make sure to do your best and nothing buth the best. Work harder! Look for as amny scholrships and grants as you can. You can do it !

Albert

Being able to go back and talk to myself about college life I would most likely say that college is not what it appears like on TV or in movies. College life focuses on studying, so all the party goers that are on TV or in movies is not reality. You will be piled up with homework from multiple classes with due date ranging from 12am that night to months down the road, therefore a student does not truly have the time to themselves to party or play video games the way that they did in high school. Also college is diverse, you may think that your roommates may be normal before you meet them or you might think the total opposite, the point is that until you meet them personally the conversations that occur in the summer does not truly show the qualities of a person. By the end of the semester you may love the person or you may hate them, the only thing that matters in the end is that you have to respect each other, every person deserves respect wither or not you get along.

On the weekends the campus is like a ghost town for a majority of the students live fairly close to the university. The campus itself is relatively small, student body makes up around 4,000 students, and when a good chunk of those students leave for the weekend it becomes quite boring. Yes, Philadelphia is 20miles away from the campus, it becomes quite annoying trying to find activities to do when you are limited due to age.

The meal plan, first year students are required to have the 14 meal plan. However, there are only two places that you can go the dinning hall or the chat. If you go to the chat you're restricted on what you can get for not every item counts as a meal exchange. The cut off to use your meal is 10pm, however, their system runs fast so you have to swipe your card around 9:50pm in order for you to even use a meal exchange. To op out of a meal plan also costs additional money.

Kiara

My classmates are some of the most amazing, fun, intelligent, innovative and caring people I have ever had the opportunity to meet and live with.

Dear Kiara- I know you are stressed about your future right now. Heck, you've always been stressed about your future and that's not a character trait that is likely to change. However, it might sooth you to know that you are making the right choices. Life is takng you where you need to be, even if the path is unexpected. I know that right now you are really only concerned with the 'Big Name' schools. They look good to employers, but are they what you need? You choice in education should not be based on a name. It should be based on the school that will give you the most it can. Yes, Big Name School X and Y can give you a pretty diploma with their names scrawelled in cursive next to their school seal, but believe it or not, Arcadia University will end up providing for you more than you can ever imagine. Stop thinking about schools based on how they will look to others and start thinking about what they can do for you. Besides, the big name schools cost a fortune anyways! Would you rather have debt or a school that helps you grow?

Something that my school does that many other Universities do not is give its students personal attention. All schools claim they provide this, but Arcadia truly holds itself to that promise. There are so few students and the classes are so small, that you actually get to know your teacher and to them you are more than just another face in a large lecture hall. Teachers, advisors and even President Tobey Oxholm himself takes a personal interest in you and helps guide you towards the path that will help you accomplish your life goals.

Tracy

I would say to go to college and not to enter the working world yet. There is plenty of time to earn money, but it is much easier to learn new concepts as a young adult. It is also much easier to attend college while you don't have the bills of an adult. Additionally, decide early on a senior institution, and keep up with the changes in courses needed. Go to community college first, it is significantly more affordable. Take only those courses that will transfer. Get involved in campus activities, it will be important when you want to transfer to a four year and have no idea how to pay for it.

I would try to get involved in more extra curricular activities and take on more AP level courses or even courses at the community college if possible. It would have given me a step up when arriving to college in the fall and the extra curriculars look good on any application, whether it be for school, scholarships, jobs, or internships. I also would have told myself to look into more scholarships earlier and try and get the most help with my tuition.

Since the student population is very small, the social life is small as well. Students are often bored on weekends and many are disappointed when they come to this school looking for parties and find that there are none. Many student have to "make their own fun" which is not that hard considering it is very easy to make friends here and we are so close to the Philadelphia area.

Someone that is looking for a small personal environment, both academically and socially. You will make friends easily here and we have a very diverse mixture of students, considering there is such a small population. You will also build very good one on one relationships with professors which is extremely beneficial when receiving a college education.

Monica

Arcadia University is geared toward success, and allows the student to prosper and grow in a comforting, and goal-oriented environment.

I would advise myself to aim to be as independent as I can, and work on the goals that I set for myself. I would say that I need to work on the study skills that I have, and work on going into school with an open mind, and know that if I do fail, I need to pick myself back up and try again. No one is perfect, and since college is such a new and very different experience, I believe that many people go into this with the idea that if they fail, they are failures. I would tell myself to learn from my mistakes, and learn how to change these things for more positive results in the future. I should go to college ready to meet new people, try new things, and be prepared to learn as much as I can!

I consider my school to be very accepting to all students and open to all people! It does a great job at making students feel welcome, and safe. I would say that the only thing I would change is the parking on campus! If you are a freshman, you might not be able to have your car, but since the increase in students, the number of parking spots seems to be decreasing! Sometimes it is hard to find places to park on campus. The times are especially rough in the afternoon! That is the only thing that I would change.

Kara

If I was able to go back to my high school self, I would tell her first off to save up. There are so many fun things to do in college, go out to eat, go see concerts, go on weekend road trips with friends, that are so much more worth my money than all the lunches and silly things I bought in high school. Secondly I would tell her to be involved in more clubs, take more fun classes instead of free periods, and be more active in the school community. It would have been great to have even more experience going into college, and to have more things under my belt when applying for scholarships so that I could for sure keep attending this amazing school. Then lastly I would tell her not to worry about the petty drama of high school, because college is right around the corner and those friends she will meet and experiences she will have are worth the wait. I would not take anything back though, because all my struggles and challenges in high school helped make me a better person for college and the rest of my life.

Arcadia University is the number one study abroad school in the nation. I was able to go to Paris on Spring Preview for $500, that's less than it cost to fly home, and it covered air fare, hotel, museum expenses as well as a few meals. Almost all my friends have or plan to study abroad during their four years here, I am going to South Africa next year with a few friends. Also I brag that we have a castle on campus haha.

Probably just that it is so expensive. Arcadia does give out good scholarships, if I hadn't gotten one I wouldn't be able to go, but it's still kind of expensive. This is frustrating to me because I love the school so much I wouldn't want to leave because of the expense. I know many students who have had to transfer because they just couldn't afford the tuition, a few of which were very close friends that I was very sad to see leave.

Kate

My classmates are the most intellegent people I have ever met.

My classmates are the most intellegent people I have ever met.

If I could go back in time and revisit my senior year, I would have a lot of advice for myself. Firstly, look at a college for the right reasons, not social status. Secondly, I would be more rigorous in applying for college scholarships and grants, every little bit can help the financial burden. Thirdly, I would tell myself not to waste my time on a boy, because I have my whole future ahead of me, and there will be plenty of boys in college.

Arcadia University should be attended by a student who is serious about academics, is driven to succeed, and is interested in study abroad oppurtunities. Arcadia had a difficult admissions process, requiring an average GPA of 3.7, with extra curricular activities. We are also the number one school in the United States for study abroad programs in over 40 countries! These programs allow the student to pay their same tuiton abroad as well. Also, Arcadia University has a friendly, small and warm campus, and should be attended by one who wants a small, yet international school.

I would tell myself to calm down. I remember being so nervous about making friends and fitting in--the fear of feeling lonely consumed me. I came to Arcadia and made friends so easily. I would tell myself to put the cell phone away on the first day or two. Stop texting and calling my friends from high school, and get out there and make friends! Granted, I did end up making friends quite easily, but I could have done so a lot sooner and quicker if I had opened up a little quicker. I would also tell myself to be open to the idea of making new "best friends". I was so convinced that my high school friends were my best friends for life. I am still close to some, but I am very close to my college friends now. Basically, I would tell myself now that I need to be, overall, open to meeting new people, learning new things, and having new experiences.

The best thing about Arcadia University, hands down, is our emphasis on global experiences. Before coming to Arcadia I had never truly traveled outside of the country. Now, after four years at Arcadia, I can say because of them I have been to Spain, England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Italy and Tunisia. I spent a week on Arcadia's fantastic Spring Preview program in Spain, and I spent two semesters abroad--one ine London, and the other in Sicily. Arcadia makes is easy and afforable to travel.

I have many friends from high school at big state schools. When I get together with them, I can't help but brag about how tight of a community Arcadia is, and how we joke sometimes about how we are all one big family. You walk around my campus and, stranger or not, you will be smiled at and recieved warmly. I take pride in how relaxed my university's environment is, and how welcoming all of our students are. You cannot find this kind of atmosphere at a larger school.

Arcadia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.