Arcadia University

« See more reviews of Arcadia University

When it comes to selecting the correct college or university for someone, in my opinion, the most important aspects are the quality of the education, accessability of the professors, quality of social life, and even to be exposed to new experiences. Sometimes it is better to move slightly out of your comfort zone. This is what allows us to grow and mature as we become adults. In addition to this, it is important to have professors that are easy to get in touch with. This is where the true value of the education shows. Any school has classes that will challenge the students, but the truly exceptional ones are those who allow the students to interact one-on-one with their professors. This exposes them to the field that they are interested in in its entirety. It also allows them to get important hands-on experience. This will help later on in job searches. When considering the college experience, the social aspect is very inportant. It is important to look for the amount and quality of the activities that the school provides. Overall, the more interactive and intellectually and socially stimulating the school is, the more successful students will be.

The knowledge I have accrued throughout the years, which at first seemed useless to my career, has provided me with the invaluable tools that I utilized on a daily basis. My college experience has allowed to recognize and apply many, seemingly abstract, things to my life. I have had the chance to learn about the history of world civilizations; which has taught me what, in the past, has molded me and my society. I have learned psychology; which has shown me my potential and how everyone, including me, is unique depending on their nurtured lives. I have learned sociology, math, chemistry, and biology, which have all collectively shown me how the pieces of my chaotic world fit together and suddenly become orderly. College has given me the ability to recognize and appreciate diversity and its absolute importance in society. Being in a classroom with a mixture of ages and ethnicities taught me the damage effects of my prior ethnocentricity. I have been exposed to different ethnicities all my life, but having the raw opportunity to discuss them has surely opened my eyes and expanded my horizons.

The worst thing you could do is choose a school based off of an extracurricular activity or a friend . The smartest reasons for selecting your future school would br its reputation, safety on and off campus, social environment and graduation statistics...etc All of these examples of great reasons say that you have your future in mind and not just the present. You also want to pay attention to where the schools located and affordability because you don't want to be stranded anywhere without a way to visit loved ones and you will have to payback any monies that you have to borrow. The trick is really to think about factors that could adversly cause you to not finnish school and then encorporate the probabilities on these factors, seriously effecting you, in your deciding equation on why this school is a great match for you or your child. One more thing for kids listen to your parents. They don't know everything but they know more than you. Advice on listening to your parents? "Eat the watermelon but spit out the seeds" Parents please guide your children but you can't live life for them.

If you have an idea of what you want to major in, find schools that have good programs for that subject and remember to look around at several different locations, even those that you wouldn't think of first, because those may be the most surprising. If you don't know what you want to major in, try looking around at different areas to see if anything looks like a place you want to live and learn in for four years. Making a list of the things you would like your college to have, it's helpful when looking through lots of different schools by narrowing down your choices. I found it very helpful to talk to people who have gone to, or know other people that went to different colleges I was interested in because personal accounts or experience can sometimes be more helpful than online descriptions or statistics. The most important thing is to explore as many as you can and try to picture yourself there: Does it have the resources I will need? Will I be comfortable living here? What is there to do around here? What do other students say about the professors and student life?

Dear High School Senior Me, Your first thought on campus is going to be, "Dang, these people are huge." Don't let that fact intimidate you. You're bold and courageous. Spend a little time outside of your comfort zone getting to know people. You'll discover things about yourself: you crave deep, intellectual thought and you're actually in an introvert. Take care of yourself. Find other math majors and minors. Connect with them. Realize that some friendships aren’t worth pursuing, and others are. Let some high school friendships dissolve; they were just dead skin, good for a season, but now they need to be sloughed off. Remember, you’re entering a huge transition period. You’ll want to conform to the world. Don’t. Be the light you want to see in the world. Be open and honest. Don’t lose yourself; discover yourself. Always love yourself. There are some days where you won’t feel loved; don’t dwell on those. Dwell on the days in which your friends make you feel like you’re floating on cloud nine. Stay positive. I love you. Good luck. College Freshman Me

When looking for the right school, the best way to find out if it is right for you is to actually visit the campus and interact with the students and faculty. Once you meet the people who you could potentially be studying with, you will know if this is the environment that is right for you. It is also important to ask questions about the facilities that you will be using; how old the equipment is, how often it is available for use, what hours of the day they are accessible, etc. Knowing what academic facilities are available is imperitive to doing well at a university. To make the most of the college experience, there must be the perfect balance between work and socializing. In my experience, college is just as much about forming friendships and relationships with both fellow classmates and faculty as it is about obtaining a degree. Get involved on campus, do community service, do outside projects with your professors. This is the best way to further your academic carreer, put more onto your resume, meet new people, and to simply enjoy your time at college.

As a student currently enrolled in college now, I have realized that my ideas of college have completley changed from when I was in high school. First, I believed that I didn't have to fill out a lot of scholarships for each semester of college. I thought that once I filled out a couple of scholarships for one semester, I was finished with applying for scholarships for my whole college life. The advice I would give to myself as a high school senior is to never stop applying for scholarships. I can't keep blowing off oppurtunities and chances that may come my way and help me pay for college, because it defintely makes a difference. Another piece of advice I would give to my high school senior self is to keepsake your money. I always thought that I could control how much money I spent from work study, but of course it's easier said than done. In college, people will spend most of the money they earn, which is exactly what happened to me. I would tell my past self to not spend money on frivolous items, but to save some for my chance of going overseas.

The most important thing to do when it comes to finding the right college is just to visit as many colleges as possible before deciding. Never choose a school based on what it says about itself either, the best way of getting the truth is to visit the college and ask students who don't give the tours what they thing about it, because the tour guides do get paid, and won't necessarily be honest with you. It's also a good idea to simply search the internet for information about the school that isn't published by the school, so you can see what other accredited affiliations say about it. Once you've chosen your college, make sure you or your student becomes active on the campus, join clubs and attend the performances, movie nights, comedians, or other get- togethers hosted by the various clubs, because this is where you will meet your future friends. The last peice of advice I have is to never limit yourself to just hanging out with who you were roomed with. You are more likely to have something in common with the people you meet at various clubs and sports.

We have come so far, please do not get discouraged. It wasn't easy getting to senior year, actually it was disheartening sometimes. The teachers saying that you wouldn't get far in high school, let alone college, are going to be shaking your hand at your high school graduation ceremony. The peers who bullied you and made you believe you were nothing voted you as the "Funnist Girl" in high school and like you. When you doubted yoursel after many people said the majoring in Communications wasn't going to get you anyhwere in life, it was only a matter of time before you realized that it didn't matter because it was your passion. In four years, you've come very far. So, don't ever stop moving and pushing forward. It's easy to get into that small town mindset that you should skip college, wok in a factory, and play it safe, but don't let those thoughts sink in. Get that higher education, compete for a job in field that's cut-throat, learn to reach for the stars. You deserve the world and so much more. You just have to belieev and push forward.

As I searched for colleges, I wanted to find the "right" one. I searched in my own state and in the surrounding areas. First, you have to decide how far you want to be from home. I chose a school 45 minutes away-just right in my opinion-not too far that your parents are worried constantly but not too close that they can come visit every weekend. I wanted a place that I could matter to my professors, and a place where I could get to know people quickly. Think about how you picture your college experience and find a place where you see that happening. Pay attention to the classroom environments you worked well in during high school and find a college that supports that same kind of learning. Think about how each college you look at will be like your first, second, third, and senior year there. College is an amazing time in your life. It is a chance to learn a lot about yourself and the person you want to be, it is the best time to experience new things. You learn more about yourself during your college years than you do about your major.