Arcadia University

« See more reviews of Arcadia University

I would advise myself to aim to be as independent as I can, and work on the goals that I set for myself. I would say that I need to work on the study skills that I have, and work on going into school with an open mind, and know that if I do fail, I need to pick myself back up and try again. No one is perfect, and since college is such a new and very different experience, I believe that many people go into this with the idea that if they fail, they are failures. I would tell myself to learn from my mistakes, and learn how to change these things for more positive results in the future. I should go to college ready to meet new people, try new things, and be prepared to learn as much as I can!

I think college is more than the academic aspect. Since the majority of students at any college are resident students and not commuters, college forces kids to separate themselves from their families. By doing this we, as students, learn to be independent and do things on our own. We also learn how to control ourselfs, since we now get to decide when we go to bed, what we eat, etc. Our choices define our life rather than our parents choice for us. Additionally, as a part of becoming independent we learn from our classes that we can't rely on teachers to tell us everything, we have to take initiative and read books, articles, and other scholary works to feed our need for knowledge.

I would tell parents and students that they need to really weigh all their options before choosing a school. If something catches their eye then by all means pursue it but you really need to map out the area around the campus because weekends and social life is better when there are neat and fun things to do. Also I was one of those kids who thought Ill visit a few schools and that will be that, but you need to visit alot of schools before you find the right fit for you. I made my decision to come to Arcadia after one visit, and only visiting 4 other colleges. I wish that I could do it all over again and looked for what best fit my personality and choices at the time.

When selecting the right college/ university think about what kind of person you are. What are your needs and what kind of experience are you looking for? Then seek out instituitions that meet most of your criteria. You can seek out these colleges/universities in numerous ways - internet, word of mouth, open houses, and et cetera, but the best way to explore a school is to visit it during regular academic periods when students are in full college/university mode. Shadow a current student! Sleep in the dorms! Hangout in the student facilities! Once you do this, if you could take 2 to 4 years of life there, get more details about how to finance your academic career.

I would first implore parents to not only allow thier child to decide what institution they wish to attend but be supportive. If a child wants to go to college for art let them even if you do not think it is a practical field. Those who are passionate about thier field often perform better and are less likely to change majors therefore ending later. In oder to make the most of the college experience it is imperative to meet as many people as soon as possible the first year. That is when the bonds between students are formed. I also reccomend that you look at the school; take as many trips as possible( overnight trips tend to help aid in the decision)

The biggest thing that I think I have gotten out of my college experience is great friends. I think that if I were to go to a non-resident college or if I hadn't lived on campus, I feel that I would not have gotten to know my friends as well as I have. The other thing I feel that I've gotten out of college is learning my strengths, knowing that I can acheive my goals and I will push myself to make that happen. I think if I didn't go to college not only would I not know what I truly wanted to do, as a career, but I am not sure that I would have gained the knowledge that no matter what life threw at me I would be able to find the strength to achieve it.

I have been exposed to many people and outlooks while enrolled at Arcadia University. I have studied abroad and on campus, which has expanded my global perspective. II have become more independent and responsible as a result of my experiences on campus in Glenside and abroad in London, England and Perugia, Italy. I believe that I am becoming a more productive, tolerant, responsible member of society as a result of my educational opportunities at Arcadia University. I hope to be an abassador for my university and work in a foreign relations enabling me to use the global perspective I have learned during my college education.

My college experience has been invaluable. By just attending school I am offered more jobs, and within those jobs higher positions because of my education. I enjoy learning new things and in college there is always something new to learn. The world will pay me what they think I am worth. I look at school as putting more money in my wallet in the future. I have enjoyed college immensely from the classes to the athletic events. Here in school I have found a degree path that will help me make a difference in this world by helping people. College is a once in a life time experience that I would not give up for anything.

I would say to go to college and not to enter the working world yet. There is plenty of time to earn money, but it is much easier to learn new concepts as a young adult. It is also much easier to attend college while you don't have the bills of an adult. Additionally, decide early on a senior institution, and keep up with the changes in courses needed. Go to community college first, it is significantly more affordable. Take only those courses that will transfer. Get involved in campus activities, it will be important when you want to transfer to a four year and have no idea how to pay for it.

Pick a place where you feel comfortable and where people share your interests. You will hate living there if you cannot find any commonality among your peers. Relax as best you can and don't overwork yourself. Don't sign up for a hundred extra-curriculars when you know you cannot commit to them in addition to school and work, but don't lock yourself up in your dorm all day either. The best experiences in college come from how you develop and interact with people outside of class. Allow your self to be open to new things and you will make the most of your college experience.