Arcadia University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Arcadia University

Delaney

I've overall enjoyed my time here at Arcadia. The professors not only know what they're talking about, but they're often kind and willing to work with you if you're having trouble with something. Class sizes are small, but it allows for interesting discussions. There's a lot of different clubs (slightly over 60, if I remember right), and people are very friendly. Like, if you're carrying a package out of the mail room, there's a good chance that someone entering is going to hold the door open for you. My only complaints are that my freshman dorm had mold in the A/C and my current on-campus apartment had mold grow over the summer when a pipe burst in the ceiling, but both times, it was fixed it within a day or two and didn't come back. So if you're a hard-working student looking for a comfortable place to go to college, I'd definitely recommend coming here.

Raquel

The Good: Arcadia is a school with amazing professors and opportunities that I have not seen at other schools. The faculty in my department are really dedicated to the students and push for them to succeed. They are always willing to meet with me after class to talk about assignments or to just chat about whatever and their office hours are really flexible so there is no need to worry about juggling a crazy schedule. On top of really amazing academics, Arcadia offers many study abroad programs which have been useful for my International Studies major. I started my schooling here by going to London for a full semester through their FYSAE (First Year Study Abroad) program. In my opinion, the program itself needed to have a few kinks worked out in terms of how they housed the students but other than that it was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never ever forget. In my spring semester, I was able to go to Vietnam for a week through the school's Preview program. I learned all about the southeast Asian culture while also having an awesome time in a country I would not have traveled to otherwise. The program is cheap at just $595 and included airfare! The Bad: The food at Arcadia is not too great. Sometimes it tastes weird or it is cooked wrong. Under cooked pasta, for example, is pretty common. Another issue I had had is the administration and their lack of caring for the adjunct professors. The school has hired many adjunct professors in order to curb costs (as many schools have been doing in recent years). The bright side of this is that many of our students have organized groups in order to vouch for the adjuncts so that they get fairly paid and recently, our school has made an agreement with the adjuncts so that they will receive better pay for all of the hard work that they do. The student activism at our school is extremely effective and has made many changes to the school during the few years I have been a student here. My Opinion: Arcadia is an amazing school with loads of opportunities for those who value global experiences and stellar academics. It has truly helped me blossom into the travel bug academic that I am today and has helped me gain a lot of insight in the world in which we live in today.

Dawn

My overall opinion is that the college has its drawbacks but overall is a great place. Drawbacks include the fact that some facilities aren't always the cleanest, and many people complain about the food and other amenities here, but I feel it has many perks such as the many opportunities to study abroad, small class sizes, and many chances to get involved.

Victoria

Arcadia is a great school. Everyone is friendly and open to everything. Class a tough but lots of opportunity for help. There are a lot a extra activities to participate in. We always love to go to games and just hang out on the weekends. The school does host a lot of events on campus, like spring fling, which has lots performers and venders and than we magicians that perform. All is at no extra charge. It's a great learning environment and the teachers are very easy to talk to.

Delaney

Arcadia University is a very boring school. If you don't actively search out ways to have fun and get engaged, you will not be able to have a good time. There are a lot of opportunities, though. We have multiple career fairs, constant resume help, and other connections and resources to help students find jobs and figure out their future path.

Kellie

From my year of experience at Arcadia, I have found it to be very rewarding with minor bumps along the way. This university has a lot to offer in the matters of academics, diversity, and willingness to learn. Although, bland campus food and the atrocious bathrooms and occasional mouse sighting are just a few of the downfalls of this university. As well as the lack of student activities on the weekend. Although, with many of the other aspects this college has to offer those few downfalls can be overlooked.

Arcadia University is a comfortable little community that makes you feel at home. You can always feel free to be yourself entirely and still be accepted. The small class size allows for personal interaction with professors, and you get the most out of the class. The city of Philadelphia is easily accessible.

Robert

With pleasant surroundings, very approachable faculty, very good dining options, and such recreational options as regular film screenings and opportunities to attend concerts, Arcadia University is not only a nice place to go for an education, but is also clearly run by people who care about student enjoyment. I do not regret the time that I have spent there in the least.

Ruth

Overall Arcadia is a great school. It has an awesome psychology and biology department. It's chemistry and physics department need some work, but someone is always willing to help you out.

Chantel

Academically speaking, Arcadia University is a great school. There are many opportunities for study. And the study abroad programs are exceptional. Class sizes are small and faculty is always available and willing to help. There are over 50 Student Organizations to join.

MacKay

Overall, Arcadia is a very quiet school that has a few things going on during the week. The bigger events happen on the weekends. The academics are great and the sporting events as well. Most of the time, if you want something fun to happen, you must go plan it yourself with your friends. This is a very safe campus at any time of the day.

Kalee

Arcadia is a very personal school. Very small class size, a lot of one-on-one attention. Limited resources, but I've learned more in two years than in all my other schooling combined. Arcadia has a great campus, and really accepting students and professors. The surrounding area is really nice, safe, and a fun place to go to school. The "party scene" is not as huge as other schools, but we bring the party to us on the weekends. Go AU Knights!

Talia

As everything in life does, Arcadia has its pros and cons. Arcadia is not as diverse as I had been told when I went to Arcadia's fall open house. The food is not that great but, there are definitely moments were I am impressed with campus food. At times the food is either too greasy or is bland and unappealing, There have also bee issues with t pests in the older housing units. Social life at Arcadia sucks in all honesty-- Find some good friends and stick together. While Arcadia has a lot of different events the attendance for them is not always great. Knight Hall and Oak Summit Apartments are a lot better than traditional housing. In my experience, most of the Housing staff are unhelpful and at times rude. On the bright side, Arcadia is located in a great area and is close to the big city of brotherly love; Philadelphia. It is easy to get around campus because it is small and all facilities are open late and students also have access to various local stores and shopping centers. Arcadia has an excellent study abroad program and encourages its students to explore, learn, and travel the world. I love that Arcadia is a smaller university because it allows the professors to get to know their students better not be seen as a 'number. Many of the professors at Arcadia are not only open-minded but also, are experts in their fields and encourage students to ask questions and come to office hours. My work study job on campus has prepared me for a career and helped me develop strong leadership skills. One more great thing about Arcadia is the various extracurricular activities and the involvement in the (surrounding) community. I like that we have the opportunity to get involved with the community,

Khadijah

The place is not the best place to go if you are looking for a college that has good food, housing, or education. The way the education system is organized does not allow for depth in any studies. The focus seems to be on the exams and not applying what you learn to what your career may be. It feels like a high school. If you wind up attending this university and wish to find depth in your work I urge you to personally go to all of your teachers and ask for insight into the specific class. Also, the university has a meal schedule which does not cater to everyone eating schedules.

Arcadia University is a close-knit community. Most students know each other, and while that may give it a homey feel to some, it could create a sense of claustrophobia for others. It's a great place to get involved in the community. Clubs are fairly easy to create. Professors are generally available and have frequent office hours.

Yaliuska

Arcadia is a small campus and perfect for those who don’t want to go to a big school in the middle of a city but want to take trips into the city. The classes aren’t very large and the professors I’ve had, try to help every student as much as they can.

William

I honestly loved my time at Arcadia University! It truly was a home away from home. Not only did I get the chance to live in the castle on campus, but I also got to travel to Ireland and Belize through Arcadia's amazing programs. Though not every class I took I was interested in, the courses that were related to my major really excited me and I gained a lot of practical experience in my field. Overall I highly recommend Arcadia University to anyone who wants to feel safe in an intellectually welcoming community.

Shawnay

Arcadia University is a great college to go to because you become more independent when you are living on campus as you focus on getting a college degree based on what you are majoring in. You can participate in extracurricular activities that are happening on campus, such as joining a religious club based on your religion to take your mind off of your schoolwork. There are a lot of events that occur outside of Haber Green, where you can play games and get free food from concession stands. You get to socialize with your roommates and other students that live on campus and commute to this school during events and extracurricular activities.

Kysha

Overall, Arcadia is a great university. The class sizes are small and intimate, and the teachers play close attention to you and your progress throughout the class and the semester. The campus is medium sized and the surrounding town is sort of dead and spread out. It's better to create your own fun which Arcadia tries to provide for you. Not much of a party area either but you can find them if you really want to. The food is okay, not the best. The Chat, which is another food area besides the dining hall, has the best overall food. If you want things with taste, you should just make your own food. But, I still think it's a great school to come to especially if you want to focus on purely academics.

Chloe

When the incoming freshmen arrive, you can tell who's going to stay, and who will leave. Those who leave think it's too boring. There are no parties, not many people, and not much to do around town. The people that stay, like me, couldn't imagine going anywhere else. This is a place where quiet nerds and queer folks can feel at ease. I've met some of the best people in my life here and campus really and truly feels like home. Arcadia is a movie night in with pizza and friends compared to a night out on the town.

Arcadia University is an excellent school and although it wasn’t my first choice of school, is a school that I’m proud to attend. The small campus is very well-kept and is excellent for walking or, if you’re feeling ambitious, biking. (There are two steep hills.) The class sizes are small which allows for a closer relationship with both classmates and professors.

Audrey

Although Arcadia University has its flaws, like other schools, its community is extremely tight-knit and welcoming. Students really feel like their part of a big family here. Everyone is friendly and teachers are available and dependable. There is a beautiful campus with a huge green grass area, and no one can miss the beautiful architecture of the castle, inside and out.

Kyra

Arcadia is a very selective school. There are certain cliques that form here, and if you do not fit within one of them, it is made clear. Academic advisers are not helpful and barely available. The food here is rarely edible, occasionally once a month there is something we all can stomach. The academic chemistry program is not rigorous nor does it follow any regular chemistry patter.

I love Arcadia! Everyone on campus is kind and considerate and always willing to partake in conversation, whether its academic or casual. I am close with many of my professors, which is just one advantage to the small class sizes. The campus is beautiful, especially in the fall and spring. Having a castle on campus is really cool, too. There is a very healthy political awareness on campus and plenty of opportunity to get involved both on campus and in the outer community. I have had a great three years here and will be sad to graduate this upcoming spring.

Dmitri

It's a wonderful school with great opportunities, friendly people, and great services! Small class sizes mean the teachers are always accessible and willing to help!

Kelsey

I had not planned on attending Arcadia. It was...basically a back up. Confident in my academia, I applied to quite a few colleges within a few hours drive of my home, and I was accepted into all of them. But, the price tags were a bit too huge for our family's budget. I do have to hand it to them (despite my mediocre rating), Arcadia did a really great job swaying my vote, tuition wise. So here I am, stuck with all of the Harry Potter enthusiasts who only attend this college for our Hogwarts-esque castle, dealing with an overpriced meal plan that pays for below-par prison slop, and tip toeing around a cleaned-once-a-year dormitory bathroom with enough hair clogging the drains to fashion a sculpture of a small cat. Really though, the only reason I have not scurried out of here, is the amazing biology department. Despite being a small (kind of gross) campus, with an even smaller student body, Arcadia has picked out the best of biology professors in the area. Accompanying that, the small class sizes, especially in subjects of sciences, really allows for interaction between students and instructors, where any confusion can be addressed immediately. So, I give Arcadia the points where it matters most, which is the education. But really, being such a tiny campus, more should be done in terms of non-academia and the campus-living experience!

Yakira

My overall opinion of Arcadia University is great. I like the human resources around me. I go to the writing center when it comes to writing essays or research papers. Also, I love going to the library to focus on my assignments without distractions. Especially, upstairs because it's so quiet and everybody is just chilling and relaxing while getting their work done.

Madelyn

Arcadia is a university that prides itself on inclusivity. There are tons of clubs to join and if you want to create a new one it's fairly easy. The campus overall is super small but beautiful albeit could stand for some renovations. There are also amazing study abroad programs and they'll send you pretty much anywhere in the world.

The professor/student relationship is great, however, everything else is absolutely terrible. Two food options: dining hall and chat, both terrible- moldy fruits and veggies, uncooked meat, and no variety. Workers in dining facilities are incredibly disrespectful and tend to close the facilities up to an hour before they are supposed to. I have made amazing friends here and had incredible professors but unfortunately the school itself is so dreadful. Little to no student activities are held, I went a month without hot water in my suite, and terrible rodent problems throughout all campus buildings. Now, the president has fired over 10 quality professors and raised tuition. The professors and students here deserve better. I highly recommend not attending this university.

As a current student of Arcadia University I am thrilled with my college. Professors are always accessible and caring of students' needs. Small class sizes are perfect for optimal learning and personalized attention. Arcadia has a beautiful campus and a very active social life with many activities for students to attend. Arcadia has a huge number of clubs for students to be a part of. Overall, I couldn't ask for a better school for me.

Deanna

Overall Arcadia is a good school. Classes are small so you can develop a relationship with your professors. Every professor I've had has been really helpful and genuinely cared about my progress as a student. Campus facilities are nice, and there's always something going on. We have an active theater and music department, and one of our clubs always has events every Friday and Saturday, so something is always going on. Dining hall food is usually a hit or miss, but the Chat food is alright.

Jill

I love Arcadia University. It has been a welcoming place filled with great opportunities. If you want to study abroad? Go here. If you want a small yet diverse school? Go here. If you want to be challenged but not murdered by academics? Go here. This school is the perfect suburban setting that sets you up for the future.

Before attending Arcadia, I was really nervous that I would not make any friends or find a place where I fit, but the staff and students are very kind and understanding, and I was able to make a few friends during orientation week and in my classes. Something that I could not personally stand was the amount of icebreakers as it puts you on the spot, but it does help you get to know a little about your peers I guess. Classroom sizes are pretty small, but not too small (around 20-30 students), so you would probably receive attention from your students and teachers when you’re speaking. This is a good thing, as it would help students be comfortable in talking to their teacher when they really need assistance. From personal experience, my professors have helped me with my homework and have been flexible and accommodating, when speaking to them about it before the due date. On the weekends, it looks like a ghost town sometimes, but there are events usually every week. Sometimes there are movie nights, performances, or midnight bingo which is pretty fun. It gives you an opportunity to meet people, that is, if people haven’t formed their friend groups yet. Some movies we’ve watched in the past were Parasite, Joker, and others. Midnight bingo is not worth it if you don’t want to stay up past 1 AM trying to win an inflatable bed, a backpack, or bluetooth speakers. You can also take the train to Philadelphia over the weekend if you’re bored. The food isn’t always the best, eating at the Chat will probably leave you gassy for hours. Eating at the dining hall is pretty nice as it is a different variety of food every day. There is also a salad bar and an area for desserts/sweets, but there are tons that I avoid eating. The nice part is that it is all you can eat, while the Chat is kind of like ordering at a fast-food area. There’s a Starbucks in Easton hall that’s open Mondays to Fridays which you can buy with knight points.

Faith

This is a cute school. It has excellent science and art programs for students. This professors want their students to learn and succeed. The campus is quite small and the people are absolutely amazing. I have never met such socially aware people with academic drive. The environment makes you want to learn and also enjoy your time.

Courtney

I love it here. As someone who has been to three other colleges prior to Arcadia, I finally feel like I belong somewhere. Everything is close by and the class sizes are small which I really like because the professors care about their students. Arcadia University is the place for me!

Thomas

The standard of the university went down significantly. On top of that, there are a lot of internal politics. The teaching style of the biology department and the chemistry department is pathetic. Premed students, please stay away from organic chemistry professor Linda Mascavage. The organic chemistry class pretty much only focus on spectrometry. It feels like that is the only topic she is good at. She also shows partiality towards organic chemistry research students (extra time for exams and lab). The advisors are below average and usually misguide students. The advisor's office is across the research lab and we have heard advisors sharing sensitive student information with others. They even call other professors to not to give recommendations letter for grad school. That's why I said there is a lot of internal politics within the college. The biology department is short-staffed. There are a couple of good professors but in general, the professors are not good enough. There is this professor (Dr. Landberg), he gives exam question a day ahead and students have to come up with the best answers. 50% of the class skip most classes and show up on the day before the exam to get the question. Most of them work with other students and get a good grade. Dr. Landberg mostly talks about his research with the animal planet and about snapping turtles. It's a complete waste of money. When I took the class close to 8 students complain about his class and partiality (grading) to the dean. They warned him but like Linda Mascavage, he started to threaten all of us. I am not sure if people take this seriously but there is a lot of unethical things happening in those two departments. A year ago they plan to fire 14 professors including these two professors but the new president overruled the decision. They still work there and I am pretty sure that they are still doing unethical stuff. The food is pretty decent. The security of the campus is good too. They have clubs and other activities but it is not that prominent compared to other colleges. Drug use is pretty common but not on campus but on-campus and off-campus housing. Class size is small and that helps a lot with research opportunities. Lab equipment is old and outdated. To be honest, the community college of Philadelphia has better lab equipments than Arcadia. In general, it is an average school with all these problems that no students want to share.

Rebecca

Arcadia University is overall wonderful. The transfer rate may be high, but the academic resources are great. I feel prepared for graduate school and my professors are always fair in their grading and are accessible. The campus food has gotten better each year I come back, and the campus is very safe. There are intermural sports to keep busy, and many clubs. The classes are difficult, but the grades you acquire are a direct reflection of the amount of effort a students puts in.

Liz

The experience that students will have at Arcadia University is highly dependent on the major/ department of the student. It's a small place; even the most powerful departments are by no means large. This can be frustrating, or it can work in one's favor. In the History and Political Science department, this is a benefit, as students have the opportunity to have close relationships with professors and join in projects with them. Some departments-- English, for example, are also small and give students the opportunity to get to know professors, but have less research initiatives and few projects that students can work on.

Gillian

It’s a really pretty campus with fairly good academics and okay financial aid. That’s where it ends. No real events or social life. Everyone is super cliquey. Honestly, I had more fun in high school driving to a funeral than I have collectively in my time here. Both myself and 2 other girls on my floor are transferring after this semester. I don’t think anyone actually wants to be here. Save yourself the time and just go to Temple.

John

This school attempts to push a plethora of radical liberal ideologies to the point that it is absolutely unbearable. The staff, or at least the professors I've had, have made college seem as though it was a repeat of high school, as they will baby you and spend days upon days teaching simple tasks, such as MLA, or how to cite an essay. It's simply not worth the money, and there are plenty of excellent colleges in the Philadelphia area in which you will receive an amazing education that is worth the money (Temple, etc.) I feel as though this university prides itself on being super diverse, but this is simply not the case whatsoever. This university seems as though it has become a breeding ground for liberals to push their values and judge opposing values in the classroom, which is ok to an extent, but sometimes it simply is not appropriate. If you appreciate smaller, unknown universities, then it's most definitely for you. Arcadia looks good when you see the campus architecture, but the academics simply do not hold up at all. I absolutely regret going here, and from what I've heard from my peers, they'd say the same.

Melissa

Overall it is a great school, but of course it has its flaws. My main word of caution is if you are a chemistry major looking to apply at Arcadia, then be prepared for a difficult time and difficult classes. Also be aware that the food is not the greatest.

Matthew

It's a fun, well developed, and an accessible campus that has a lot going on! There is never anything that would make you feel bored or left out. There are all different types of cultures and ethnic backgrounds at Arcadia and everyone is friendly and likes to get to know one another!