Arizona State University-Tempe Top Questions

sabna

the academics are great. The classes are taught by good professors and instructors who are relevant in their field of study. we have some of the best colleges in the country.

Intuitive classrooms are here for the students benefit to learn what the students want to learn. As an Economics major, I feel as if there is a purpose for me to succeed and I feel ASU is helping me to do so.

Kristian

Academics at my school are pretty much get the material and you'll pass. The teachers push me to do my best and i think it's a great benefit. Since AAEC South Mountain is a college prep high school there is no such thing as a grade lower than a "C" and that goes for the dual enrollment classes you are signed up at South Mountain Community College. The schools being so small makes participation very common and can be competitive, because there is always one person trying to outdo the other. The major I am going into is engineering, and with the classes that I'm enrolled in makes it way easier for college life.

Liliana

The academics at my school range among different undergraduate and graduate programs, but my career in general, Kinesiology is an amazing program with resources and internships that allows us to grow.

Alexandri

The academics are what attracted me most to this school- there is such a wide array of classes, both big and small, and there is a lot of resources through teachers, and advisors that want to see student success. I'm also had many friends attend ASU, and they said that they loved the environment there, and that they feel they can be successful and thrive.

After the first semester I have a much better understanding of college expectations than I did coming in as a first time freshman. As an honor roll student throughout high school, the academics are suitable for me. That doesn't mean they're easy, but, if you put enough time in, you'll be able to keep a 3.0 without pulling your hair out.

After the first semester I have a much better understanding of college expectations than I did coming in as a first time freshman. The academics are suitable for me, as an honor roll student, but I have noticed that they are much more tough than I had expected out of ASU.

Monique

They are great

Like I stated in my last answer I am in the school of Construction so my view of academics is limited at ASU. However I do love the classes in my field!

The academics are great at ASU. They have come of the top academic professors and curriculum. I really like the academic layout for my major.

I was super nervous about attending class the first day of school my freshman year because I though since Arizona State University has so many students that my classes were going to all be huge; I was nervous for no reason! Every English, math, and specialty class I have taken so far has had under 40 students in each class and I have been able to have a personal relationship with each of my teachers. My favorite classes have been all the ones that are directly related to my major because I have found them the most interesting. Students study a lot at ASU…there are some days where the library is so packed that you might not be able to find a chair! I think students are competitive with one another, however I also think everyone is very willing to help each other. I have taken so many classes where students have sent out mass emails asking for help and within minutes someone replies. I think it is really nice that ASU students are able to help one another. Class participation is extremely common! Over half the classes I have taken thus far have given points for class participation. It is awesome knowing that by showing up and being an active learner in class you are being rewarded with participation points.

Kylie

The college is known for business and engineering being a business student I say the academics at ASU are very good. A lot of professors won't know your name unless you take the time to get to know them.

The professors don't know my name unless I go to their office hours and email them frequently. My favorite class is SHS 105 because it's really interesting. My least favorite class is BIO 201 because it requires a lot of time and studying, as it is a rigorous course. Class participation is only required in non-lecture classes. I have had experiences with other students having intellectual conversations outside of class. In some classes, the students are very competitive. My major is Speech and Hearing Sciences with a Business minor. I really want to have my own business as a speech therapist for those with special needs. I spend some time with professors outside of class if I go to office hours or tutoring. This school's academic requirements are on point; I have to work hard to get good grades. My classes are not easy A courses.

As far as professors knowing who you are, it is mainly up to the student to cause that to happen. Some classes are small enought (20-30 students) that the professors know all their students by name. However, in the bigger classes (100-400 students) if you want your professor to know you, it helps to visit them during office hours, and go to class regularly and sit near the front. For the bigger classes attendence is not taken regularly so some students do not attend class regularly, but it helps improve your grade if you actually attend the classes.

Terence

Academics are pretty good at ASU. One of the biggest issues though is class sizes, and some registration issues. If you're in a fine arts major, or design major chances are the majority of your classes will be pretty small--around 24-40 students. Professors will know you and actually have a legitimate opinion of you through interacting with you on a normal basis. However, if you're in business, or any of the other majors classes tend to be mostly lectures, and can number from 150-300 students. Participation is encouraged, in some courses it is considered extra credit (there's a record system for this). For bigger classes like this it's dependent upon the student to show their drive to success, by participating. Professors know those who respond, or come to office hours. Education is less taught and more learned. So the students who want to learn will learn, and those who think it's going to be handed to them won't. The libraries at ASU are always in use, and packed depending upon the time of day, and which libraries. So many students study at ASU so often, that our main library, Hayden Library is sometimes called "Club Hayden" because people spend more time there than clubbing. Conversation is everywhere. I don't mean this in a geographical context. I mean this in the range of things people talk about. It's very common to run into people speaking on intellectual topics, all the way to just normal conversation. I've had many talks with people (some random, some not) over transcendentalism, all types of philosophy, religion, politics, everything. There's no limit. At the moment I'm studying Business with an emphasis in Sustainability. What does that mean? My major is hybrid major, between the business school, and school of sustainability. I focus on the tenets of how sustainability affects business in terms of resource allocation, logistics, resiliency, and self-sustainability. Originally I spent two years in design, both graphic design, and industrial design. Both subjects are pretty different, however both schools handle their respective disciplines well. In design school there is a strong emphasis on detail, and revision. Because, in the career world for design these are the two principles we live by. In business school, competitiveness, and ambition are valued. The school is very helpful in bringing in tons of key individuals from all aspects of the industry to speak, and lead seminars. My favorite class so has been SOS 111, Sustainable Cities. The idea of sustainability is to, "meet our current needs, without destroying the capability of future generations to do the same". Sounds easy, right? Not at all. In SOS 111 we studied, analyzed, and debated the role of cities, and their futures in respects to sustainability. The course was interesting and significant to me, because first off, it was run by two professors who were the founders of our school of sustainability (the first in the country). Second, their mindsets weren't just focused on biology and sciences (like most people imagine sustainability), but also on design, economics, politics, psychology, etc. They understood and showed us that sustainability is in every facet of life, it affects everything. Third, we actually had class twice a week. The first day would be lectures, and debate, class participation was a must but not required. The second day would differ, it would be a movie / documentary, or most commonly be a guest speaker. These speakers came from all over the world. They weren't just experts on sustainability, but also professors, scientists, architects, businessmen, and others from institutions around the country, and world. We saw sustainability's wide-reaching arm is it intertwined with every career and path in life. For instance, the last speaker we had was a famous architect from Egypt, who had done work in the UAE. He discussed the design philosophy behind the UAE, their solutions, issues, and future. Education at ASU is geared towards both a future career, and learning. ASU provides all the resources, but a student must grow in maturity, and show their initiative to take advantage of which path they want more of.

There are a wide range of academic levels at Arizona State University, which I find very beneficial. The university truly cares about their students and WANTS their student body to succeed. There are multiple tutoring centers which are open seven days a week, which help with math, writing, and other challenging subjects. I also have found my advisor in being very helpful. I just recently declared my major (Marketing) and though it will be difficult, by advisor has been there for me every step of the way by making sure I select the right courses and helping me manage an appropriate work load.

The academics at my school are fair. I study a lot due to my being here on academic scholarship. There are courses on campus of over 300 students per class and then there are others which contain less than 20. If you do well, more likely than not a professor will recall your name or if you participate often in class. I've switched my major a few times in search of a permanent fit so I've met a range of professors. I began as a graphic design major, then I switched to printmaking, and then to speech and hearing science. For the most part you can tell whether the professors love what they teach or not, which is the most important factor in my opinion. If they don't have any urge or inclination to be teaching the class then what's the purpose in learning the material? I think the further I get in my courses, the more intimate my relationships with my professors will become.

I have had relatively small classes here, 25-40 students. Every professor I have had has been willing to help, easy to talk to and knew my name. Students get to participate in class often and most professors do short lectures followed by class discussion. This really allows most students to do better in the class since they can apply what they just learned. ASU holds internship fairs on every campus, every month. The school definitely uses it's resources to help students be successful during school as well as after graduation.

For Barrett students? Delibrately challenging. We are required to take a special Honors class, earn a set amount of Honors credit, and graduate with an overall 3.25 GPA. However, we're Barrett students. Not only can we take it, we chose it. This is our path, and we're determined to walk it.

Lillian

ASU has such a wide variety of classes. I've been in classes with only ten other students, and I've been in classes with 450 other students! In smaller classes, the teacher always tries to learn names and teaches in a personalized environment. Even in the bigger classes, if you participate in the class, which is easy to do, the teacher will always remember and acknowledge you. Professors always welcome students to come talk to them in their offices to get specific help with the class, and some Professors even like to just talk about life and academics in general. My favorite class so far has been Psychology 101. Not only was the material and Professor very interesting, but the study groups outside of class made studying for the class so easy. ASU offers SI sessions, which are graduate student led study groups. Many students from the classes attend these, making studying actually fun.

Because ASU is one of the biggest schools in the country, it offers a vast amount of majors throughout its four campuses. Since there are so many majors available, there are also so many classes accessible to all students. An interesting class I am currently taking is called Homicides and Serial Killers. It has nothing to do with my major- or most majors, for that matter- it is just one of the numerous unique classes they offer for students who are interested in learning more about a particular topic. Now, because the school is so big, there are lecture classes with 400 students in them, but there are also many classes- math, English, and more concentrated classes- that have fewer than 50 students. Whether you are in a class of 300 or 25 students, the professors always have time to answer questions. All professors have office hours where they are glad to further your understanding because after all, they want to teach you. Also, there are tutoring centers throughout campus if you need help. Some classes even offer study programs led by past students. This is a fun way to study with your peers and boost your grade. Students want their peers to do well. Many students will form study groups with friends before a big test. I have utilized all of these tools, and it definitely has shown from my grades.

Since ASU is such a large school, classes can have up to 400 people in a lecture hall for your general classes. I frequented these classes my freshman year, but now that I am concentrating on classes for my major, the class size has gone down to an average of 30 students. All my professors know my name this year.

I was pleasantly surprised by the academics at ASU. I'm a double major in Supply Chain Management and Sustainable Economics. Both programs are great at ASU! Sustainability is up and coming, and SPC is ranked at #4 in the nation. At the end of the semester I plan to apply to the Barrett Honors College which is very prestigious. My experience with classes has been mixed. Some classes like Macroeconomics are large lectures that require you to do a lot of learning on your own. Others, like Sustainability and Enterprise had only 8 people in it. There are pros and cons to each type of class, but you need to know how to succeed in both. I've also enjoyed the opportunity to take online classes. I took one last semester and two this semester, and it really helps keep my schedule free. It just requires a lot of organization. I am always impressed by how much students work together in classes. In the large classes, people make facebook groups where people schedule study groups and ask each other about the deadlines, homework, etc. In the smaller classes, everyone is usually friendly, helpful, and interested in the material.

Cherish

I am really proud of the academics I have been offered. I am a science major and classes may have been difficult, but the faculty truly cares about whether you are actually learning the material. The professors offer office hours, and the classes are no more than 60 students, so if you have a question, they are usually willing to answer it during their presentation of material. This also means that there are ample opportunities to get to know your professors for those letters of recommendation to professional schools. Even though I am studying life sciences, the academics do not necessarily prepare you for the work force, even though you do learn many laboratory techniques. It seems that this major is geared towards those who wish to go on to medical school, get their doctorates in research, or other medical professional schools. I find this very helpful, since medical school is my next step in my education.

Mariah

I think the academics are really good. They have a very good Business program and Journalism program as well that a lot of people are not away about. My major is currently Communications. They really help ensure that you are in sight of all opportunities that each major has to offer.

The academics of this school vary depending on the program you are in. ASU has a well known business school and the pre-med courses are also very prestigious. It should be noted, however, that at a school this large, all the class sizes are large as well. I have had several classes with over 400 people in them. Some of the professors don't really want to know you and you as a student have to go out of your way to get to know them through their office hours. So far, I have liked almost all of my classes at ASU and have still learned a great deal despite the large class numbers.

If you are willing to talk to your teachers after class and attempt to get to know them, they will attempt to get to know you. Usually they are quite busy, and it's rare to have a great relationship with a teacher without doing an Honors Contract with them. Students in the Honors College study often, and it's never a problem getting work done in the dorms. Everyone is really respectful. I am not sure what it is like for students who do not live in the Honors Complex. Class participation is dependent on what class is it. If it's an Honors or Philosophy class, participation is common. Otherwise, it's infrequent. Students in the Honors College have intellectual conversations outside of class. I am uncertain how intellectually stimulating conversations are with students outside of the Honors College. Philosophy 101 was one of the best classes that I've had. If you have the opportunity, take a class with Dr. Thad Botham.

I'm a Special Education/ Elementary Education major so my class sizes are perfect. All the classes that are focused towards my major have less than 40 people. In my smaller classes my teachers do know my name, and I know most of my classmates names. One thing about classes that I love is the clusters. ASU offers clusters to incoming freshman which means that there are reserved seats in a few classes only for people in your major. By the second week you start realizing some of the same people and learn that they have the same major as you. Last semester I was in a cluster and made two really good friends in the Education field and we made our schedules similar this semester so that we could stay together. In the smaller classes participation is common, however in my general education lectures participation is not as common. Students do still ask questions during lecture though and professors definitely encourage it. Students at ASU typically study a couple nights before a test. Tests in college are a huge deal and everyone knows it. Failing a test can hurt your grade in the class very badly. Most students take studying seriously and Hayden Library is always packed. At Hayden you can look around and see study groups, tutoring sessions, or just friends just studying together talking about school, it's very motivating. The most unique class I've taken is Understanding the Culturally Diverse. It's an education class and you learn so much about other cultures and how to approach different types of students as a teacher. I feel like I've learned so much about becoming a good teacher through this class. In this class our teacher did dedicate outside time to us. The class was split up into groups and assigned a chapter of the textbook and would present the material to the rest of the class every Tuesday. While preparing for this our teacher offered us many ways to contact her. Through e-mail, video chat or even over lunch. The professors I've encountered at ASU so far are very passionate. When you have passionate professors, you have students passionate about learning. As a future teacher, I love this about ASU.

Tobin

Academic wise, I didn't really struggle. It's all about choosing the right professor for your learning style; all the ones I've had were great and really know their stuff. As far as studying goes, many students like to get together and fill the libraries and study halls. You can study pretty much ANYWHERE on campus. They recently got a lot of new study aides in the libraries for us to use as well.

ASU is full of choices, choices, and more choices; at the university each major gives students the opportunity to make their own education. You can choose to sit in enormous lecture halls, where the professor is a tiny dot on the stage with a voice so overwhelmingly loud it is almost impossible to fall asleep. Or you can be in a small classroom environment, surrounded by like-minded peers and a teacher who engages in one-on-one conversation. It all depends on the class choice, and of course, your major. I am pursuing graphic design at ASU and love the program. I am one of twenty-five people in my Principles of Graphic Design class, and I love every second of it. My teacher is an intelligent, insightful, and interesting mentor who knows me by name, and speaks to each student with care. She motivates us all to move along with our studio assignments as we move through different projects. The class runs very smoothly as we speak to each other, discuss whatever we would like, and yet pay attention and finish our work. This unique class is one that I love, and my professor is someone that I speak very highly of. The entire graphic program is perfect for someone who wants to come out of the university with opportunity, as it is set up to help students receive jobs after graduation. Students go on mandatory internships their junior or senior year that the university helps promote, and most come back with their skills perfected, ready to take on the world. Networking is huge within the Herberger Institute of Art and Design, and ASU helps get each student connected with the big design corporations all across America and the world. I am going on a trip put on by the ASU graphic club to a design paradise, New York City, to visit the many important graphic, advertisement, and commercial firms. The opportunities are endless. Each major is different, and I can go on and on about all of them; I have enough friends in engineering, business, education, and other fields to tell the world about the wonderful programs at ASU. We are big on combining disciplines and collaborating on big projects across fields, something extremely unique. Teamwork is essential after college, and ASU is a great place to build those skills.

I am part of the Ira A. Fulton school of Engineering and I really enjoy it. Engineering is a very hard discipline and Fulton provides an endless amount of resources to help their students succeed. From tutoring sessions to the Engineering Tutor Center, they make sure we can all get help with any homework that we need help on. Sometimes the teachers aren't always the easiest to understand, so sometimes hearing subjects from our peers is helpful. The only downside to ASU is that since it is so big, most freshman and sophomore level classes are between 100-200 people which makes personal interaction with the teacher difficult. As long as you're willing to step forward and communicate with the professor, it works out.

Maddisen

While ASU is a very big school it still has many small classes. Of course your typical 100 level classes are big and even most lectures but I am just a freshmen and majority of my classes are actuall 30 or less students. I have a lot of options for classes as well which is very important and i enjoy all the classes I have taken so far. Not all but many students are very competitive so studying with them is a plus. There is also a lot of oppurtunity to study with the professor or TA. ASU does its best to get you prepared for life outside of school. they set you up with the tools you need to succeed in finding work else where. ASU is awesome and gives every student a great chance and much potential.

Raluca

Since ASU has such a large student body its is hard to define its academics, since it depends from one department to another. I double majored in Global Studies and Political Science and there was a significant difference between these two departments. In the first case, students and professors knew each other rather well, as most courses were under 30 seats. In Political Science, classes were rather big and thus it was hard to get to know your professors. However, in both cases students were really involved in class discuses and would often have outsider class debates as well. My first choice was Global Studies and as such I spent more time around that department and I got to know some of the professors there rather well. In fact, I still keep in touch with some of them. I think ASU has courses tailored for everyone's needs. If one is interested in having a good time and is less focused on academic achievements, one can take lower level courses and still graduate in time. However, if is one is interested in gaining as much knowledge as possible while in college, one will find challenging courses and fascinating professors at ASU. I was definitely part of the second group and I opted for higher level courses that were more of a challenge and even for individual instruction courses mainly because I wanted to work side by side with my professors but also because it allowed me to focus on subjects that were more pertinent to my specialization.

The academics at ASU are fantastic. Many professors will learn your name before the class even starts (for the smaller classes). Even in the large classes your professors wil learn your name if you take time to talk to them after class or during after hours. Many professors were happy to talk outside of class and I took advantage of this with many of them. The professors enjoy having intelligent conversations with students. Other students also enjoy having conversations like this and some professors set up discussion groups with groups of students outside of class to encourage learning for learning's sake in addition to the usual career-oriented education. In terms of students, they are competitive, but most students are willing to help others and enjoy working together with other students. I was a Bioengineering major, so most of my experience was within the School of Engineering, but I was also a pre-medical student so I have a good amount of experience with the Pre-Professional advising office as well. Everyone in the Bioengineering department is fantastic. The advisors are probably to most helpful and knowledgeable advisors at ASU and go above and beyond. The faculty loves to help students as much as possible, including providing a number of research opportunities. The pre-professional advising office will be able to answer every question you could possibly have about your future profession. In addition, ASU offers an incredible variety of classes. One of the most interesting classes that I had the opportunity to take was the Sociology of Health and Illness. We studied the history of diseases, advancements in healthcare, and discrepancies of the two among different groups of people. There are a number of other interesting classes offered regularly, including the Serial Killers course. All in all, the academics at ASU are great and you can take a class on almost anything you find interesting.

Once again ASU offers a variety of academic opportunities. The class sizes vary from huge lectures to ten person classes. I found that i have more small classes then 300 person lectures so that fear was quickly diminished. Yes the required labs ect. will be more crowded but the more major centered classes are individualized and small. No matter what class size the professors are all extremely experienced and can become contacts in the future. The smaller classes do provide an easier approach to contact but i have gotten to known some professors in 150 person lecture and continued to take their later, smaller classes. My favorite class is with an old professor covering history of World War One and Two. The benefits of the large university is that it provides classes which can be extremely specialized. The resources of ASU provide classes that are specialized to any of your hearts desires. The school sets you up for success with constant job fairs, resume builders, and more.

Tania

With a 3.56 GPA, I am pretty content with the academics at Arizona State University. I love all my nursing classes and participation is always encouraged. I just hope that I can be closer to my professors and establish a relationship because they can help with you career the most.

Don't let the party school rep fool you, ASU has some intense and demanding classes. If you want to get a worthwhile education while still having the luxury of a beautiful city and weather (well except for summer..) then ASU is undoubtable the palce for you. A good majority of the professors, especially in upper devision classes really want their students to succeed and even in a class of 100 or 150 students learn to know most of their names. Being a psychology major I have had the pleasure of working with a number of brilliant staff both in research labs and in the classroom setting and have grown to respect and admire these professors. If you make effort to get to know your professor they will really go out of their way to help you succeed. With faculty like Dr. Doane, Dr. Lueken, Dr. Hansen, and Dr. Amazeen I don't know how you could not love going to class. The professors push you to do well in their classes and expect your best efforts from you each day, but with such competetive courses and programs it is very necessary. As of now my favorite class I have taken has been Physiological Psychology with Dr. Whitney Hansen. She really makes the material comprehensible even though it is very dense and detail oriented. Without her I don't think I would have done nearly as well.

In the small classes, especially my studios I take for art, all the instructors know who I am, my name, as well as a small background. Because the art community is a tight knit one, and you frequently run in to people you've had classes with before, it seems every one knows every one. The grad students are also extremely helpful and nice. I haven't had one grad student who was teaching one of my classes act like they were better than us or treat us bad. Professors in big lectures, and I've only had a few due to my major, are usually helpful if you email and talk with them frequently. In large classes, (350+ students), it's difficult to get to know other students, the T.A.'s and the instructor. Because of the sheer volume of students, some professors are very short with their students. You usually have to email frequently to get something resolved. Thankfully, I've only had one of those types of instructors. Generally, professors encourage students to get to know them, as it's the only way to form rapport with students in a class that big. Art majors vary, but every major map I've looked at (a list of pre-reqs and classes needed to take to graduate in a major) haven't had obnoxious amounts of mindless classes. General studies are still required, no matter what, so you just need to take care of those early on so they don't hold you down from the classes you need to take for your major.

I feel like academically as a school we are completely average. The business school however is great in my opinion.

ASU has so many great academic fields. We have superb journalism, business, and law schools, along with the first school of sustainability in the country (that is also great). Internships are built into the major maps of the majority of the majors, which requires students to earn real-work experience outside of the university. I know that when I leave ASU, I will be well prepared to go to graduate school, and many others will be well equipped to get a job. ASU is one of the most sought after schools by Fortune 500 companies. Classes are large, however, but only for your first two years. After that, they shrink considerably and are much more relevant and major specific. Going to professor's office hours is a MUST. They can give a lot of insight and attention that you most likely won't get in class.

The school is too large and has too short of semesters to get to know your teachers personally. If it is not a lecture class, yes teachers will learn your name. If it's a class of 5, no, the teacher will not learn your name. The teachers are generally good, some are way better then others and you can see the gap. Fun classes are classes you want to go to on the other hand there are the teachers that are just plain boring. All we do outside of class is think and talk about classes!

Christa

Academic life varies dramatically between colleges. The Barrett Honors College, for example, has a rich academic life. Students sit at the cafe located within the honors complex and have intellectual conversations with each other. Professors know you well thanks to small group classes just for honors students and special sessions of larger classes that are just for honors students. For the sciences, there is great precedent for student research. Almost all students in the biochemistry program worked directly with a mentor on cutting-edge research projects in the lab. This is not the same experience, however, that you would get outside of the Honors College, from what I hear.

Alissa

I am a social work major. I chose this major because I eventually want to counsel families with autistic children. This major is relatively easy for me, but you have to have the right mindset in order to do well in the class. Expect a lot of exploring feelings. If you have many discriminatory behaviors, you will not get through a single class. Social work is geared towards getting a job. I am just finishing my Bachelors right now and the school requires me to have an internship, therefore I am writing this right now to stall going into my intership-which is a hospital. I like my internship but it is hard to be motivated to go in when I don't see any type of paycheck from it.

Full of holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Full of booby traps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emily

I loved most of my professors in my major. I still keep in touch with them and see them occasionally. I also attend any asu design event I can to support my college.

Adrienne

Now that I have transferred out to West..My proffesors actually make an effort to get to know a little bit about us students..It is not like they ask for our lifes story though. Another thing is that every single one of my professors that I have had highly encourage us to come to them if we are struggling. That to me says A LOT. Students at West are not loud and abnoxious. It seems like they actually want to succeed. They seem to be a lot more focused. ALL of which is a plus!

Devon

Academics at ASU might be a little unnerving to those who don't go in expecting large class sizes. That, I think is the scariest thing, walking into a lecture hall and seeing over 400 other students, some sitting together, some not. You starting thinking, "Am I going to sit next to anyone in this class more than once?" "Will the professor know my name?" "Is the professor hard?" So many thoughts go through your mind all at once and it can be a little stressful. The truth is this, most professors in those large lectures aren't going to have any idea of who you are unless you make contact first. That is a key thing if you want your professor to know who you are and it makes for a great resource later on if you need held studying or if you need a letter of reccomendation for grad school. Not all classes are huge lectures though, most of the math and english course offered at ASU are generally smaller class sizes with no more than 25 students. And if you're a science major your labs will have no more than 14 students because the labs can't handle more than that at a time. At ASU the students are very competitive, especially in the majors in which you have to apply for upper division after your first year. In those majors, if you want to succeed and move forward it is crucial for you to be competitive with your peers and make your best effort to stay on top. Out of class, many students have very intellectual conversations with one another. Whether its classmates discussing the days lecture topic or just two friends talking about each other's majors there's always some sort of intellectual conversation going on between students all the time. ASU offers a very wide variety of classes for students to choose from. I think the most unique class I have taken thus far was a Forensic Anthropology class this past spring semester. It was a very interesting course that I would reccomend to anyone who is interested in forensic science. I am a Biochemistry major at ASU, mainly because there is no Forensic Science major offered. It involves a heavy load of math and science but its not bad if you enjoy it like I do. I make it a habit to meet with my professors outside of class, just so that they can get to know me and I can get help where I need it and show them that I am interested in their course, which helps a great deal if you miss a class because your sick or if you really don't understand what was taught one day in lecture. I think that ASU's academic requirements are pretty easy to meet. Personally I think the university should have higher expectations of it's students because I believe that most students would be able to meet those requirements without much more effort. The education itself at ASU is mainly geared toward learning for its own sake, at least in the science department. Professors aren't worried about what kind of job you're going to get once you graduate, they just want you to learn as much as you can about the subject they're teaching and for you to figure out how to apply it to your everday life. Personally I think this is a great method of edcucation because students learn a lot about the subjects they're taking and then have to use their own minds to apply what they've learned to everyday life. I think that this allows for a much more personalized education.

Terry

Few and far between, but there is a solid group of people who are looking to excel in this area...