Arizona State University-Tempe Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Arizona State University-Tempe

dazhane

I genuinely love my school and I love how my major is engrained within its values. I feel as though I am receiving a quality education, that my instructors care about both me and my success, and that I am building the experience, information and resources to ensure my success post graduation.

Janelle

For the Barrett Honors College, the classes are smaller which provides a great chance to really get familiar with the other students and professors. The professors actually know you’re name which is a small thing which makes a huge difference. As for the general courses, other professors prove to be just as acquainted. I recall going to office hours once for my general chemistry class. For this class, I always made sure to sit in the front and one time the professor called on me by name to answer a question. Intially I was shocked and surprised that the professor remembered my name but overall I felt like an individual who mattered. I am in my Junior year now, and I still remember this two years later. As previously mentioned, such a small detail as my professors remembering my name made an impact on me. Furthermore, you’ll find many students who are willing to put in an extreme amount of work to do well and even create study groups which will last you years just as I did. Bonds are created as you and your new friends solve problems and attempt them numerous times realizing the dumb mistakes you made. Some days you won’t even need to ask why your classmates are tired, you’ll just already know because all of you stayed up late working on the homework. These students are what have truly made my college experience thus far as great as it has been As for unity in sports, attending any sporting event is always an experience regardless of which sporting event one attends. Of course, we always are biased as we cheer for our Devils, but the best part about the unity here are the little traditions. One well known tradition for basketball games is the curtain of distraction which involves a ridiculous skit right under the opponent’s basket to distract them as they attempt free throws. Another tradition for the basketball game include the chants we yell to our opponents as their starting lineup is being called including remarks such as “who’s that?” and “go home!” My school does not play when it comes to our sports. Arizona State University-Tempe is a college campus defined by the people. You find unity in almost every aspect of the campus doing anything.

The campus did have more restrictions because of the Covid-19 situation so this year has been drastically different than my previous year but my professors were always so helpful, understanding, and patient with me.

Angie

Arizona State University is overall a great college. One of the main reasons I decided to attend this school is because it definitely has an active social life but students also highly focus on academics. I am currently a student part fo the Fulton Engineering school which is highly talked about and I can definitely see why. I'm really glad I came to this school because it provided me with resources that I was unaware of.

Chris

My opinion of Arizona State University-Tempe is that it provides a wide array of outlets for education. Classes have different formats and allows students a variety of ways to get educated. The extracurricular activities are abundant for those that enjoy doing activities outside of school. The intramural sports programs are highly competitive but also provide a respectful atmosphere. I would recommend ASU to anyone that is seeking a fun, safe and challenging atmosphere.

Attending ASU is an awesome experience. There is a lot of school pride and everyone is proud to be a Sun Devil. I have so many resources available to me, my favorite is the writing center. I feel as though I am surrounded by deep thinkers and passionate learners striving towards a goal of making the world a better place.

Mikayla

I think Arizona State University is a fantastic school. It is rated, I believe, number one in Arizona. They have a great sports program, love to go and watch the Sun Devils beat the Wildcats during Hockey season. It is a great place to go and learn. While it is a university, you would expect it to be expensive but it is not that bad.

Yacinta

ASU is a great school and they love to push and help all their students be successful academically! I received the most scholarships and financial aid assistance from ASU. When you call for help, they help you understand the situation and actually tell you what's next.

Alexi

Arizona State University is a great college for incoming freshmen, veterans, transfer and online students, and anyone that has had a gap or pause in their education. The advisors and other staff members are super helpful to all students and they are always an email or phone call away to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Reginald

Arizona State has given me the opportunity to better myself as a human being. Since starting school here I've grown in all aspects of my life and formed bonds and new friendships that will last the rest of my life. I am extremely proud of being apart of the Sun Devil family!

philip

Arizona State, in my opinion has set the bar high. Regardless of your educational background, there is a field of study for ALL. The program is very responsice and provide a ton of support to help you graduate. I highly suggest attending ASU if you wont a solid education with options to study abroad or get a masters degree.

Haylee

AWESOME

Cindy

At first, I was dead set on going to an out-of-state college. But after a countless amount of convincing from my dad, I've decided to go to ASU. I'm so glad I did because I was able to stay with my friends that I truly cared about and also grow with.

Nicholas

Has great weather, multiple campuses. Sports are very popular, although we aren't very good at most right now. Mill Avenue is the place to be on game day. A lot of people choose to live off-campus. Dorms are available at each of the four main campuses. Free campus shuttle is available. A leading school for innovation.

Virtis

It has always been my dream school to attend college at asu.

Luis

One of the best non-ivy league and high ranked universities in the US. New impeccable facilities for most part, the best school environment with both great academics and party life. If you're looking for a school that has it all, ASU has to be your choice. The Arizona heat only makes it better!

Naydja

Arizona State University is a diverse and culturally unique university offering many possibilities to students. The atmosphere supports and fosters a community and stewardship among students. The degree options and educational rigors is on track with current societal and workforce demands.

Guillermo

I really enjoy my time here at the Tempe campus of Arizona State University. There is quite a selection of food to choose from off-campus. There are also bars close by you can go with some of your buddies whenever you want to drink it up. There is also cheap pizza which can be found near Mill Avenue.

Brittney

I love ASU and especially Barrett, the Honors college. They have lots of events and clubs always going on somewhere on campus. If you are looking for something to do, there will never be a dull moment. The academics are great although some professors are definitely better than others (but that is any school). All the professors and staff members are really nice and truly want to see you succeed. I have met a lot of really great people here both in and out of class. I have already participated in an intramural sport and joined a few clubs. There are so many ways to get involved on campus with I believe 90,000 students on the Tempe campus alone.

jesse

Its a complicated school. Some days are okay but most days are shit. Its too damn hot and most of my instructors are too predictable. The sports teams always get embarrassed and I am embarrassed of being here. I plan on transferring to a better school with real education and good sports and where its more cool weather. Probably north to NAU or south to UA

Sydney

Overall I enjoyed my college experience at ASU. As one of the largest public universities in the nation, there are plenty of majors, research opportunities, and extracurricular activities to choose from. Also, we're the number one school in innovation, so that's pretty cool!

Tania

I feel like ASU just like any other universities, has its ups and downs. If you're the type of person that tends to look for resources and not wait for them to get to you, then ASU is your place. If you're the type of person that is used to have everything handed to you in a silver plate (or whatever is the phrase), I wouldn't recommend attending this school. I have noticed that many say that there are not enough resources for students… but that is definitely not true… you just have to look and since there are so many, limiting yourself to only those that you really need, is what becomes challenging. Something I absolutely loved is the fact that you're free to be exactly the way you want to be (just keep in mind that your group of friends can and WILL influence a lot on your personality). I'm not saying nobody will judge you, but you'll find there are more like you, so you'll care less what there might be said about you (if anything at all due to the size of the school... you'll be one between MANY). To put it in the simplest terms – if you’re pretty, there will always be someone prettier than you. If you’re weird, there will ALWAYS be someone weirder than you. The same goes for everything else. ESPECIALLY if you’re smart…. There will always be someone smarter than you. The overall experience in this university is great as long as you try to make it enjoyable. As I mentioned before, it's a huge school, and you have to seek for the individualized attention and help. Classes’ sizes vary from course to course. Usually the classes related to psychological science (psychology, sociology, anthropology and all those) are in auditoriums since SO MANY PEOPLE TAKE THEM AND ARE REQUIRED FOR MOST MAJORS (sucks because you have to pay for them but some are actually interesting). One thing, if you’re planning on attending ASU for the party reputation, I recommend for you to live in the dorms for as long as you can and afford. Otherwise, TRY YOUR HARDEST TO STAY AWAY FROM THE DORMS! …seriously. You might miss out on some long term friendships (not my case) but you can always find friends somewhere else.

Brianna

ASU Downtown Phoenix is a pretty great school. I love this campus specifically for its small class sizes and very short walking distances. Just about every building is roughly 2-3 minutes away so there is no hassle getting to class at all. I am not very impressed with the food options on this campus. The dining hall serves alright food that could very well be improved and the fast food type options around are very little. Within in a 2-3 minute distance is only a Chick Fil A, Subway and a salad shop. Not much at all. Overall though the rest of the school is really great. Professors hold office hours all of the time and are generally very approachable. I would stay here until I graduate.

Micah

Arizona State University has treated me well on my first semester. Teachers/professors are very nice and always offering help for students that need it! I enjoyed my first semester there and I am planning to stick with ASU probably for the next three years until I graduate as a sun devil!

Nilah

I really like Arizona State University. It is very diverse, I have met plenty of other students in the same field as I am. There are resources for everything no matter what it is which is extremely helpful. I love the campus, I love how open everyone is towards one another and how helpful one student can really be.

Kamani

ASU is a welcoming and diverse environment. It is easy to get involved and find something you are passionate about. Many faculty members are quite involved in students academic and extra curricular activities, making them easy to talk to and get to know. They are there to help better the students and send them out into the real world with peace of mind.

Christina

I love ASU!!! Its amazing. They offer many resources to the students, and any of the staff at an given location are more than willing to help with anything they can. Arizona State University is a great place to go if you love the look of a biog city campus, with a small town feel.

Carolyn

ASU is an amazing college for students seeking truly diverse academic learning. There are a total of five campuses, all located within the metro area of Phoenix. There are several handsome undergraduate degree programs which offer students degrees in everything from agriculture to zoology. ASU is a private college so it definitely costs to attend this university. However, it also offers online degree programs, and also allows campus students the option of taking their course online. ASU's faculty is also as diverse as its programs. The teachers and professors hold numerous degrees and doctorates which allows them to pass on their knowledge base to students. While the curriculum is hard, it is intended to imbue students with the knowledge they signed up for, and leave with a degree that will truly usher them into their chosen field. ASU students are "sought after" by many corporations. There are always graduate programs, and some of the top companies, including Yahoo!, Apple, IBM and others often hold job fairs for students about to enter the business world. There is never a dull moment at ASU and students who are accepted will find there are activities that will keep them engaged, yet challenged. If you are thinking about Arizona State University, rest assured, you will enter a world class realm of higher education and academic leadership.

Elisabeth

Overall, an ok school, not the best I could have hoped for, but decent. My number one concern is I don't feel ready for a job - they don't prepare you very well for what your life after college will look like. I don't know what I'm qualified for. Teaching staff is ok - some are amazing, and some I wish I never took. Rate My Professor is a good tool at this school. There are TONS of resources for success here, but it's difficult to know where to look and who to ask. My advisor is great, but I feel like admin makes his job unnecessarily hard - he does his best to advise me, without telling me what to do, but sometimes classes aren't offered, or the course planner isn't clear. I'm having to cram in classes I didn't know I needed before I graduate. And it is VERY difficult to hold a job and be a journalism student here. I've been told at the start of a class, "If you have a job, you might want to quit. You won't have time for both." I realize it's important to be well prepared for a career, but I need my job to pay for school/life/car/etc - that's a big problem in my book. Lastly, public transportation in AZ is lacking. Be prepared for long commutes if you don't live on-campus - or even if you do.

This is an amazing school! We have SO many resources since it's such a big school, but tons of niches and smaller groups to keep it from feeling too big. The size makes ASU able to be a good fit for literally anyone, with resources and accommodations for the most people possible at all times. Most of our programs are top-ranked (in the nation for a lot of them!) so you leave the school with a competitive degree and a ridiculous amount of networking to prepare you for your career.

Raquel

ASU is a very active and friendly school. Everyone can be themselves and will never be pressured into something they don't want to do. You can build your own schedule and take as many classes as you want to. Your professors will be there for you, for the most part and getting involved in extracurriculars is very easy. There is literally something for everyone!

Jordan

Had a great experience at ASU and feel that I received a quality education for the money. Plenty of job fairs on campus to help with job placement after graduation and lots of local companies (especially tech) recruit out of ASU. Great campus life and the area around campus has developed a ton to provide a great overall atmosphere.

Melissa

ARIZONA STATE is a great school with various resources which are very helpful to students, its a sociable place to be and there is always someone to help and there are lots of opportunities to move forward in education.

Nicholas

I believe that Arizona State University is a substantial college for anyone. It's very vigorous in academics, and in athletics. The campus is copacetic in its environment, and its also adequate for people to talk to others because its diversity is phenomenal.

Meadow

Arizona State University is an awesome school. Any time I have needed help from a professor or someone in admissions they have been very attentive and easy to work with which hasn't been the case at some of my other schools. I truly enjoy the student culture, inclusiveness and safety they provide on campus.

Robert

Arizona State University-Tempe is growing greatly in academics and community, as they are improving on many programs and providing more and more facilities. The social scene is great, for all kinds of college crowds, and seems to be broadening and expanding. However, it also seems that the Tempe campus is focused more on expanding than building a healthy and environmental community. I have noticed foundations for structures being laid where Arizona wildlife once inhabited. The few creatures there were, such as coyotes and rabbits, were a calming sight in this community. Now they are even being pushed out. This expansion is not helping the poor air quality of metropolitan Phoenix either, as shown by the increasing traffic and activity. I would like for Arizona State University-Tempe to demonstrate environmental and sustainable growth for the beautiful desert above all else.

Kalin

Overall ASU is a great University, some of their requirements may be frustrating, but its for the betterment of the students. They could use more work on being more accessible since the University is so large. Also more academic involvement between students and professors would be much more appreciated.

Daniela

I'm a pretty reserved kid. I signed up for Arizona State University because it is right at my doorstep and they have one of the best business programs in the country. But naturally, I was concerned when I gathered information on the school's party reputation. However, none of that was part of my college-going experience. If you don't want to be included in the parties and events, trust me, you won't be. There are plenty of plenty of people who are just like you, and fortunately the school provides plenty of free resources to meet such like-minded people at computer labs, dining halls, and libraries.

One of the things I find most interesting about ASU is the number of ways they try and support you. From assigning a "success coach" to emailing with updates, to providing multiple opportunities to interact with other students and faculty members. If you have a question or an issue, there is somebody there to help. I never felt alone in trying to navigate the system, and I truly believe they are committed to helping me succeed.

karen

its a great institution

Sydney

The school is okay. It is not academically challenging and is way too over priced for out of state tuition. The administration tries to get every penny they can out of you. It is a very fun place to go to school. There are a lot of parties and the weather is great.

Gabriela

Arizona State University is the best university in Arizona. It can be quite intimidating with how big it is but that means an even bigger opportunity to broaden your social skills and your world view. You will constantly meet people of different backgrounds and culture which is always fascinating. You will definitely find life long friends here. We have plenty of groups and organizations, you're bound to find one that appeals to your interest. We are a very innovative and welcoming campus. Once a Sun Devil always a Sun Devil.

Deja

Arizona State University is an amazing school. I am so glad that I chose to come here. There are many opportunities for students to get involved with clubs, and meet other students. We also have die hard sports fans, which makes all of our sporting events super fun. Arizona State is dedicated to helping students achieve success through the free tutoring centers all over campus, and with the great professors they hire.

Maira

Arizona State University is full with opportunities. Its a great school academically. There are a lot of activities to do after classes. I feel safe on Campus because every once in a while there are security guards causing around campus. Then there are a variety of restaurants to eat, if you don't want dining hall food.

Ruth

I’ve loved ASU from the moment I started my journey with them. Advisors, success coaches, professors, even classmates are so attentive. Classes are amazing and classmates genuinely want to be there for each other. We're a great team! As a matter of fact there are social media groups for each student in order to feel welcomed, such as the online student community, incoming freshman, engineers, students who simply want to meet other students and more I'm an online student but even then I still feel part of ASU. Never once have I felt unwelcome or left out.

Shannon

Arizona State University has an incredible campus filled with brilliant teachers and faculty who are always available to help students grow and achieve. ASU holds all its student to its three core standards of achievement, engagement and responsibility.

Carolina

Overall, I love ASU! It’s a great place for lots of different activities because the weather is nice compared to other places, except it gets super hot here for a long time in summer. The Tempe campus is huge, but it’s a beautiful campus with lots of palm trees and desert landscaping. I definitely encourage anyone seriously looking into ASU to visit the campus, because it really shows you what it’s like. There are always tours, and everyone really helped me in the admissions process to get everything done. Campus is pretty safe, but I’d rather not walk alone at night; campus does have an escort service. For me, the cost was ok because I got a scholarship, but dorm prices are high. I love Barrett the honors college because it offers so many more opportunities and has really good food and dorms. The intensity of academics depends on your major, but for me they were homework-intense but not impossibly hard. In my experience, the professors and TA’s went out of their way to help me, but I’ve heard of a few who don’t. As for stuff to do outside of class, Mill Avenue is a great place to eat, and groups regularly go up to hike “A” Mountain just north of campus. ASU also has a lot of events year-round, and since we’re near Phoenix there are always concerts and sporting events to go to. ASU has been a great college experience for me so far, so if you’re considering it, come visit campus and join the Sun Devils!

Julia

Arizona State is a great college for people from all over the globe. It is a very inclusive campus with amazing facilities and great staff. I have never encountered faculty at any other school who are so engaged in your learning experience and will to help you succeed.

Yasmine

I attend Arizona State University at the Tempe campus, and overall I have no major complaints about the college. There is an abundance of tutoring and studying facilities around campus that can be accessed by most students. Additionally, the layout of campus it easy to navigate through a daily class schedule, giving students one less thing to worry about. Finally, you can find a place to eat or shop for supplies around every corner on campus, allowing students to avoid worrying about traveling far for basic necessities.

Robin

There is something for everyone at the Tempe campus. Being an adult learner, I have never felt out of place, and often, there are others like me who are taking classes for their second careers (usually ex-military). I get the time I need with my instructors to answer questions and support from my fellow classmates. Class sizes are small, and I could not think of a university I would rather attend.