Tempe, AZ
Arizona State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Arizona State University

Fixed  rate loan

Andy

ASU is huge if you like getting to know people ASU is a good place to go to. It allows you to travel to California and Mexico. It isn't really much of a college town unless you are 21 or have a fake I.D. other than that it is pretty cool. There are so many things to do so you will always have something to do. Go Sun Devils

NIce student body and great place to make friends

for some people they are and for some they are not. ASU is a party school only if you make it one

Academics at ASU are good, it is what you make of it and nothing else.

Mckenna

I think ASU is a great school. There is a lot of activities students can get involved in. The campus is pretty big and there are plenty of people around. It's great for networking, meeting new people, getting help for school work. Another aspect that drew me to ASU is the school spirit, especially at sporting events. I love sports and especially this past year the students were in full school spirit mode for our football team and basketball team. I'm excited about the baseball season coming up and love that students are always there to support our athletes.

I think there is a good diverse group of people at ASU. Most of the kids here are from Arizona, but there are a lot of kids from out of state as well. While we might not be the most racial diverse campus in the country, I think the ideals of the student body are very diverse. Just walking around campus a student can see groups of people who believe in all sorts of causes and can approach these people to learn more about what they believe in and what they are trying to teach other people about. The great thing is that learning about other people's beliefs is completely voluntary on campus, so if you want to hear about what they are saying, you can walk up to them and find out, and then if you decide you don't agree you can have a lively discussion or you can walk away. Either way, everyone has their chance to speak out and make their opinion known without anyone's feelings getting hurt or belittled. I think the great thing about the student body at ASU is everyone seems to be passionate about something, whether it be politics, Greek life, sports, education, finances, religion, or any other topic, you can find people who are just as passionate about your cause as you are.

all stereotypes are based on some truth, but a lot of students take their work seriously. asu students know how to work hard and play hard

The acedemic part of ASU is what you make of it. For me, I've taken classes where I just wanted an "easy A" and didn't give that much to the class; and I've also taken classes because I wanted to learn about the subject. For those classes I did all the required reading and then some. I paid attention in class and gave feedback. The professor was always available for a dialog (most common and easiest is through emails). It is what the student puts into the class that determines how much he or she takes out of the class. In my experience the professors are more than willing to help out if the student takes the initiative to go to office hours or to send emails with comments or concerns. Sometimes you aren't going to understand your professor or you aren't going to want to speak out in front of your fellow students so the availability of the professors outside of the classroom setting is really beneficial. Also, there are different classroom settings available for all types of learning. Within each required general studies course there are classes that only hold 20 to 30 seats and there are classes that hold 150 to 200 seats depending on the student's preference. I think this is really helpful in making all the new students feel comfortable at ASU.

There is always something going on at ASU. There is always a party to go to, people to hang out with, people to study with. Freshman year all the dorms are open for people to walk in and get to know their neighbors. Everybody wants to have a good time and meet as many new people as they can. Whether you join Greek life or just want to chill with some close friends, you will find people who you love and make friends quickly here.

party people, don't take school seriously, blonde/pretty people, slackers

Bryan

ASU is so large that no matter what you're looking for, you're are going to find it. There are definitely a lot of undergrads that are more interested in partying than going to class. But these students rarely last more than two years; by then they either drop out or grow out of it. It's college, everyone wants to have fun, but after awhile you realize that you have to prioritze. it's really that simple.

Honestly, most classes aren't that challenging. If you put forth an honest effort, it's tough to fail. That's not to say there aren't any challenging classes, though. Undergrad classes won't challenge you much, except for the select "weeder" classes that tend to seperate the serious students from the rest of the pack. for example, the first accounting class for prospective business students is a handful. What I like most about ASU is the set up and approach to education. Professors and students tend to view ASU as a means to an ends. By this I mean, students at the upper levels are here for a reason. This not an idealized "community of knowledge-seekers," as some universities claim to be. This is a step in the process of reaching professional and personal goals. Academically speaking, few are here because it's fun; we're here because ASU can help us get to the places we want to go.

ASU and its student are widely regarded as not academically focused. Academics are not thought to be rigorous, and students are thought to be more concerned about upcoming parties, thans exams.

ASU is too big. It is really great that ASU is so diverse but the sheer number of students walking around campus and driving around campus is overwhelming. Sometimes classes are too large but the professors seem to have learned how to adapt to managing large classes. A lot of people spend time at the library on the computers or sleeping but many people I have found don't know how to navigate the library (not because it's confusing but because the students don't care). Mill avenue is definitely fun. It is a great college town with access to both more serious activities (jobs, research, etc.) and fun activities (clubs, shops, etc.). The only unusual thing about ASU is it's size and the weather. It's terribly hot most of the time but it means you can wear casual clothes all the time. The biggest controversy or event that happened recently was the MU fire. There still isn't a know cause and it caused a lot of problems for all the people who ate at the MU and the clubs that met there. It's getting back to normal now though.

I think unfortunately that Honors students feel a bit out of place at ASU. The general population is not really that academic. There is great diversity though and that is great. There is diversity in race, political orientation, country of origin, socio-economic status, and personality. Most students are partiers it seems and not that serious about school. There are politically motivated students but protests and what not don't seem to attract much attention.

There is a pretty big party scene at ASU but the stereotype is not as pervasive as people think. It is pretty easy to avoid the party scene and people if you want.

The academics are really what you make it and what your major is. I am in the honors college and all of the honors professors are amazing. They'll go out for coffee with you and chat with you about life and philosophy and whatever interests the both of you. Honors students are pretty good about having intellectual discussions outside of class but the general population seems to avoid talking about school at all and avoids school in general. Most of my general courses have about half of the kids show up. My political science classes are great though. The professors are very knowledgeable and all the students engage in class discussion. I got to take a class about the problems of democracy and that was fun. International Security and Terrorism was also an interesting class with a great professor. There are so many classes at ASU that you really can make the experience whatever you want.

Football is very popular at ASU. I am not really involved in the typical ASU social life so I don't know a lot about it. In my dorm the doors locked automatically. Every once in a while I run into friends on campus but it is rare unless prearranged. Mill avenue is still fun for people who don't want to drink. There are lots of clubs too that you can join to get to know people and to hang out outside of school.

ASU has the party school stereotype. People assume everyone here is drunk or out partying every night.

Kyle

Some may feel ASU is way to large of a campus. Personally, I thought the size was perfect in all aspects. I enjoyed being part of the crowd. One thing I have learned is that there are very few people that, if given the chance, to attend Arizona State University, wouldn't take that opportunity. Everyone from out of state wants to go to ASU. The weather, the student body, the sports teams, the surrounding city, etc. are all the reasons why it is the greatest university in the country, hands down. The school pride is amazing at ASU. There is really no choice to root for your second favorite team. Its ASU or nobody. The experience at the ASU/UofA sports games is unreal. Although it is a lesser known rivalry across the nation, it is by far the most intense rivalry I have experienced.

Arizona State University offers possibly the most diverse student body in the country. It was satisfying to me that ASU offered a medium, for any racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic group on campus, to express their beliefs and opinions in a civil way. I really do not believe that any type of student would feel out of place at ASU. Due to the great weather, students wore summer clothes most of the year. The great thing about ASU's student body is the level of diversity.

Not a day goes by where I dont remember or think about some experience I had at Arizona State University. There was no other place I would have rather gone and there is no other place I would rather have graduated from. I show my school pride as much as possible and am thankful to the University for helping me be who I am today. Go Devils!!!

I won't lie, ASU is a party school. There is always something to do or somewhere to go if one is looking to have some fun. However, nearly every college in America is the same way. Arizonat State University is just magnified because we do have such a large student body. In no way does this characterization negatively impact my opinion of the University. If anything, it only increases the draw to come to a school of the caliber of Arizona State University. I still think about the great times I had during college, and am jealous of everyone that is attending ASU right now. If you handle your business in the classroom, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to enjoy the other half of the package. As far as the notions that ASU is a paper mill, I would highly disagree. Any school you attend will not be easy for most to graduate. You have to have some self-discipline and at the least show up to class as much as possible. I cherish the knowledge I gained from each and every class I took during my years in college. I carried that knowledge and the amazing experiences I had both academically and socially, into law school, and it has no doubt helped me succeed to this day. The Honors college at ASU was recently named the #1 honors program in the country. ASU also had the most first year Merit Scholars in the country. That says something about the quality of education offered at Arizona State University.

The academics at ASU are very underrated. Outsiders believe that just because the school is so large, that the academics must suffer. That is not the case. Yes, some classes at ASU are very large in comparison, but I certainly did not mind that. I cannot speak for other students, but when it came down to handling my academics, I made sure I focused on what needed to be done, and I still had plenty of time to enjoy other things. My favorite class was definately Human Sexual Behavior, for obvious reasons. I majored in Justice Studies, with a minor in Business. The Justice Studies program offered very, very interesting courses ranging from Drugs and Justice to Serial Killers. Once I started taking only classes for my major, I found those classes to be the most interesting. I never really tried to spend time with professors outside of class, but I know they always had certain office hours where students could inquire about various concerns within the class.

It is no secret that ASU has a great social scene. Living in the dorms was some of the most fun experiences I have had to this day--Meeting new people and enjoying each day. On football Saturday the campus becomes one big party. They allow tailgating w/ alcoholic beverages in the parking lots. There is a party or something else fun to do every night of the week, but everything should be done in moderation. Remember, you are there for a degree, the rest just comes with the territory. I was not member of the Greek System, however I had several friends who were. I can testify that you do not need to be part of a fraternity/sorority to have an amazing time while at ASU.

The obvious major sterotype about ASU is that of being a party school. Others include there are too many people on campus, the level of academics is weakened by the large student body, etc.

Sasha

no. the school is no longer a party school as drastic measures have been taken to change that stereotype and the population here is so diverse from class, culture, race, sexual orientation, sex, etc so much so, that rich white kids seem to be the minority.

that its a party school and that only rich white kids come here.

Peyton

I think ASU is too large, but at the same time, I really like it because if we were too small and you knew everyone, then I would feel too suffocated. I like that I can walk around campus, see someone I know and feel special because I saw someone in such a large place. When people at home find that I go to ASU, they have good reactions... but most of them are older- parents... my sister is about to go to UA next fall as a new freshman- of course her reactions sucks. Since I'm an education student, I do not spend much time on campus at all- we are interning and student teaching (currently) and don't have classes on campus once we reach our junior year and are accepted into the professional program of education. total college town, which i LOVE ASU administration is OK- some people don't know what they're talking about and some are mean for no reason.. but there are also ones that rock. LOTS of school pride... go devils! I will always remember my freshman year- as that was the only year I spent on campus- living time and class time- I made great friendships and still hold close to that group from the dorm.

ASu has a great mix of cultures and sub-cultures and I appreciate that. Many students are not from AZ and that is also great so that we learn about people from other places.

I think that every college is a "party school" if you want it to be. If you want to find a party- you can, but if you want to go hang out and do other things with friends- you can. I think that ASU students are pretty dumb sometimes- you hear that they let everyone in who applies because they want $$$ and in some classes I have had a difficult time understand why these people are in a big university such as ASU.

I think that especially in education.. we have MANY graduate students as teachers- and they SUCK! They do not know what they are talking about at all, and they have been the most stressful classes because there is no respect or understanding throughout the entire semester. Even when we bring up these considerations, they do not take them whole heartedly and respect us as students and individuals as well.

Party school. That we're not smart- especially with the rival school.. you know UA :( BOOO!

Alisha

There are 65,000 students at ASU - no stereotype is going to accurately reflect the whole student body. Whoever you are, you can find others at ASU who fit your style.

All of my classes are less than 15 students and 2 of them have only 5 students including myself. However, I have had classes that are over 100 students as well. Academics at ASU can be whatever you want it to be - easy or challenging, and your professors will know your name if you decide that's the academic path you want to follow. Otherwise, you can just sit back and relax in class as a face among many.

Okay, so there are a lot of parties. There are also some good social justice groups. Community Outreach & Advocacy for Refugees (COAR) works with locally resettled refugee populations while another group I am involved with, No More Deaths, does a combination of humanitarian aid on the border as well as political activism.

That ASU students are less motivated and more interested in partying.

Kristina

The best thing about ASU is that there are multiple campuses. If you want that big city college experience you can get that at the Tempe campus. If you decide you want a focused major you can move to a smaller campus where you are much closer with your peers. School pride is ridiculous! We could lose every game for a decade and still have more school spirit than UofGAY(uofa)

RACE, RELIGION,AND SES ARE TALKED ABOUT IN EVERY CLASS!!! I think people wear what they feel comfortable in to class. Some people dress skanky, others conservative and some in their Pjs. 4 tables in the dining hall 1. Sorority sisters- They speak loudly and talk about the hottest new fashion and who they slept with the night before. 2. Frat boys- They watch sports on the TVS and use each others cards to get free meals. 3. The Party People- They are just getting home from a night of partying as the dining hall opens. The eat, skip class, and go to bed. 4. The Christians- They pray before their meal and pray for yours too!

Leave High School behind you...but don't forget your friends from home, they still love you!

Professors know your name when you make a point to introduce yourself and do good in classes, ask questions etc. My favorite class is NLM 420- American Humanics Management Institute. This class is a part of the nonprofit program where we use fundraising technique's to raise money to attend a national nonprofit conference every year.

Frat and Sorority life has significantly decreased in the last few years. If you want to make friends...you will always leave your dorm room door open...even when you're sleeping! I met my closest friends when I changed my major and joined a club focused on the major(nonprofit) 2am Tues I am eating pizza and studying with a group of girl friends! There is so much to do that doesn't involve drinking! Movies,shopping,eating out, boat rides, hot tubbing, camping..etc...The beach is 5 hours away...the lake is 2...the snow is 2-3!!! Its great!

Everyone says that ASU is a party school...well it is if you want it to be! It is easy to decided what you want your college scene to be. You make it what you want not what Playboy 2008 ranks it!

Arizona State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.