Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

hm...i've said a lot. i adore the cafeteria food but the meal plan is overpriced and the hours are POOP. the dorms are totally disgusting. it's miserably hot at the beginning of the year. you do a TON of walking around here. the orbit competes with tempe marketplace and mill for one true love status. there's always a lot going on on campus. phoenix is UGLY UGLY UGLY. the air is horrible. sometimes people think they're all that and a bag of potato chips and smoke weed or cigarettes in the dorm, which makes me gag. the windows don't open in most of the dorms (except the honors dorms). north campus is really loud, center complex is really quiet. hassayampa looks like a prison and is one of the biggest party dorms. the SRC is also one of my many one true loves. it's big, beautiful, easy to find, new and shiny...it's lovely. i go there a lot. the markets have a lot of wonderfully healthy food, but everything's way overpriced ($5 fruit loops? i think not). get the all m&g plan - meal plans are POOP. you don't need a car - it will just drain your bank account. um hm. i am not too fond of the location of ASU, but i love love love it (it just needs to be picked up, as is, and moved to somewhere like oh say COLORADO <333 ).

I am involved in the Barrett Honors College, a prestigious honors program that allows students to explore their major in depth with required research and individual help from a professor of choice. The program gives the opportunity for growth and expansion of knowledge that will be beneficial in the real world, like searching for an occupation. The honors program also includes a mandatory class known as The Human Event for freshman, a seminar that allows students to voice their opinions in a small group setting and read, comprehend, and discuss philosophical literature; for example, Socrates, Plato, Lucretius, and the like.

In Arizona, ASU's business school is excelling; it is also becoming increasingly acknowledged as one of the better Business schools nationally. ASU is relatively affordable, especially compared to many other Universities across the nation, with its In-State tuition around 3,000 a semester for incoming freshmen. ASU also attempts to change its image as a college, the school's new nickname being " The New, American University"; there is a greater emphasis on sustainability, with green buildings under construction around campus, and an attempt to bring the best and brightest of U.S. Students and Professors to its campus.

The school is absolutely beautiful and the amazing weather permits you to be outside and be active as often as you want. The W.P Carey School of Business was full of incredibly intelligent and talented teachers who strived to make their classrooms and your classroom experiences as fufilling as they could. Education was a priority in the business school, but educators also made sure that you felt as though you were safe at your home away from home, safe and welcomed and cared for. Even though the school is so massive, they cared about each individual equally.

Compared to the other two schools that I considered (Cal Poly SLO and University of Nevada Reno [UNR]), I was offered the most financial aid from Arizona State University ($8,000 per year). I am originally from Las Vegas, NV and when I was weighing my options for college in the early part of last year, I noticed that ASU offers a very considerable amount of financial aid to incoming freshman regardless of residency (in-state or out). To me, this is what makes ASU unique because the other two colleges I considered (including in-state UNR) offered less money.

The liberal arts program through the online university allows a student to pursue a multi-disciplinary program of study instead of the conventional predefined program inclusive of general studies that tends to bore most incoming students. The program gives the student the opportunity to pursue a variety courses that interest him or her leading to the student being more focused on the program and completion of the degree. I have been in the workforce for almost 15 years and the varying courses have provided exceptional knowledge for the work I perform.

ASU is only 30 minutes from where I live and offers far more benefits than the other schools I applied to. Their engineering program is super and the on-campus accomidations are fantastic, even better than I expected when I first checked it out. There are so many different clubs and interships available to engineers, as well as doing independent study projects with teachers. I've gotten to know a few professors and look forward to meeting even more next semester when I get to explore more of the education opportunities on campus.

Arizona State is an incredibly diverse, growing university. Michael Crow, the university president, was recently named one of the ten best U.S. university presidents. A wonderful achievement, but also well deserved, Crow accepted the honor and will hopefully continue to bring ASU up in the ranks of academically competitive universities. I am proud to be a student here. The students and faculty are all friendly and welcoming. As an out of state student, that is a powerful characteristic and one that makes me happy to be here.

Arizona State University has an exceedingly large and diverse student body and many interdisciplinary programs. My understanding is that ASU awards more undergraduate degrees per year than any other school in the U.S. except the University of Phoenix . Because the university attracts so many different kinds of students, I believe that, compared to other state universities, one's experience at ASU is what one makes of it. One could study hard and gain a good education or completely devote themselves to campus social life.

ASU has over 250 undergraduate programs and has hundreds of classes to choose from. The environment at ASU is exciting with the involvement of students in many activities and the downtown area next to the campus is full of new things to do at night or weekend. Also, the professors are extremely helpful and encourage their students to come by their office with questions so none of their students struggle with the material. I feel ASU provides a great amount of outside classroom help in order to help its students succeed.