Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

I won't lie, ASU is a party school. There is always something to do or somewhere to go if one is looking to have some fun. However, nearly every college in America is the same way. Arizonat State University is just magnified because we do have such a large student body. In no way does this characterization negatively impact my opinion of the University. If anything, it only increases the draw to come to a school of the caliber of Arizona State University. I still think about the great times I had during college, and am jealous of everyone that is attending ASU right now. If you handle your business in the classroom, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to enjoy the other half of the package. As far as the notions that ASU is a paper mill, I would highly disagree. Any school you attend will not be easy for most to graduate. You have to have some self-discipline and at the least show up to class as much as possible. I cherish the knowledge I gained from each and every class I took during my years in college. I carried that knowledge and the amazing experiences I had both academically and socially, into law school, and it has no doubt helped me succeed to this day. The Honors college at ASU was recently named the #1 honors program in the country. ASU also had the most first year Merit Scholars in the country. That says something about the quality of education offered at Arizona State University.

These stereotypes are accurated in someways but inaccurate in others. The fact of the matter is that any college you go to there are going to be parties, at ASU there's sometimes parties every night of the week, most of them hosted by the fraternities or sororities. But who's to say that we're not going to school at the same time? ASU has over 63,000 students and I think its safe to say that most of us are there for an education, but at the same time we enjoy being able to relax and have fun from time to time. As for the "Barbie and Ken go to college" stereotype, yes there are a lot of good looking people who attend ASU but that doesn't mean that they don't have brains. You can't get into college based on looks alone.

ASU has such a large student population that obviously there are a fair number of these people and ever-present industries that cater to them. However, it also offers a huge number of interesting, small classes taught by the leaders in the academic fields, populated by unique and vocal students. There are lots of opportunities for internships and the administration is really trying to improve the worth of an ASU degree and interact with the community to an unprecedented degree for an academic institution. The "party" stereotype, in my experience, translated into everyone being a little bit more laid back, like meetings with your professors taking place at happy hour of the local bar.

Somewhat. There are a lot of smart people on the west side of campus. So even though we joke about it I wouldn't say they're less intelligent. They just have a different skill set. We are still a party school with a lot of clubs around and drinking. House parties are all but gone due to fairly recent laws. We do have the best looking girls. Just go to the west side of campus. I would even go so far as to say that the east side of campus has some of the best looking engineering girls, called "engineering pretty." Of course the best looking engineering girls are in the softer engineering sciences, Computer Science, Biology, and Industrial Engineering, even some in Chemical Engineering.

ASU is known for being a party school, but it also is the second largest university in the U.S so it is bound to have many college students who enjoy partying, (but what college doesn't?) As for anyone getting in, I do not know much about that, but if it is true, that is what makes Arizona State such a diverse and unique university. Depending upon your major and the classes you take determines the difficulty of the class (as is the same for most other colleges/universities). The sciences tend to be more difficult and prestigious at ASU because the school really prides itself in these areas. (

It's fairly justifiable that it's a party school, but that's because there's so many student which also explains why it's an easy school to get into. However it is also very succesful academically and depending on your major it can be very hard. I was a bioengineer and the degree required an insane dedication with ridiculous hours in order to finally finish, especially the final design class. I enjoy the party school atmosphere as it helped me escape when I needed to from my academics.

depends on where you are and who you talk to! if you're on north campus, you're at a party school for sure. but if you're in center complex, where the honors kids roam, you're at freakin harvard. i mean, with 60,000-ish students, it's hard to generalize about the student population as a whole. a lot of people are from arizona too, but there are also a lot of internationals and people from random states like washington and colorado and illinois. and lots of californians.

Every school in the nation has parties but I think ASU ends up taking the rep of being a major party school. However there are alot of other schools, beside ASU, that party alot more than ASU. Even some of the local community colleges party harder than ASU. So there are a couple of parties but I don't consider ASU to be a major party school.

Only in Freshman year, I woud say. After that most students stop living in the dorms and as you get into higher level classes the "bimbos" are surprisingly no longer present. ASU is so big, you can find anyone with your interests.

In general, yes. Unfortunately. This seems to be a result of the lack of minimum requirements for admission. No SAT? No problem! All you have to have is some form of high school diploma and money to pay tuition.