Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

most popular groups on campus? i dunno. the sororities and fraternities are very visible. christian groups are also big. really, there are a ton of groups. it's hard to say which is most popular. do students in dorms leave their doors open? depends on where you are - varies by hall, really. lots do, some don't. the honors dorms seem to be notorious for leaving doors open. athletic events? oh psh they're stupidly popular. guest speakers? well obama came and a bunch of people showed. i think guest speakers are actually fairly popular too. theater? i wouldn't know, i'm not much of a theater buff. dating scene? like i give a crap, i have a solid long-distance relationship. seems like a lot of people in the party crowd are into shallow relationships and hookups and all that malarckey. but my church peeps seem to be either single or married. my closest friends? i met them at church. hope christian church has really become my family-away-from-family. i wen to passport at the beginning of my first semester, and a campus minister from hope called and invited me to church, and the rest is history! if i'm waking at 2 AM on a tuesday, i could be doing almost anything. last-minute homework, reading, coloring, cleaning, watching a movie in my sister's dorm, talking to my boyfriend, jogging at the SRC track (stupid, i know, but hey i really needed to run! and i wasn't the only fool out there either :P ). what did i do last weekend? don't remember (no, not like that...i don't drink, i just have a bad memory!). i have family in tuscon that sometimes comes and whisks me away to fun hotels or to tuscon, my family from colorado sometimes visits and whisks me away to cheaper hotels or to tuscon, the church has a lot of fun get-togethers (often with free food!), i often spend saturdays doing homework (not sure why), i like to take the orbit and/or city bus to target at tempe marketplace, i go wander around mill, i babysit, i clean...etc. traditions, events....whatever. like i care. how often do people party? depends. on north campus, the weekend starts on wednesday and ends on tuesday. my roommate seemed to go out practically every night, some weeks, and come back slobbering drunk at 5 AM. and she's not the only one i know like that. fraternities sororities? well like i said they're pretty visible. they're always seesawing for scoliosis or whatever on hayden lawn. i think they're pretty big. although the frat houses are GROSS...my aunt says they looked like they needed to be condemned almost a decade ago, when she went here. what can you do on a saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? oh so much! me, i like to do homework, browse bumper stickers on facebook, call all my friends and family in other states with free weekend minutes, hang with visiting family, watch movies with my sister, go over to dinner at my friend ashley's house, or chill with another friend in her dorm. what do i do off campus? target. i do target. i love target. i want to marry target. <3 target is the only off-campus thing i do by myself...otherwise it's probably going to somebody's house from the church, or going to the $3 theater with friends, or renting a movie, or eating at a restaurant. i guess mill...is it off campus or on? well i'm there a lot too. actually, i probably spend most of my time on or very close to campus, and yet i am never bored. (i mean, it does take 20 minutes or more to walk from one end to the other.)

At ASU the dorm life is a lot of fun. You meet so many people living in the dorms and you meet your best friends there too. I lived in the Palo Verde East dorm in the North Campus community, which als includes Palo Verde West and Main, and Manzanita. The dorm experience that I had was a little less than perfect but I wouldn't trade it for anything. In the PV East dorm I met people that will be friends for life. The first room that I lived in was on the 3rd floor and the whole floor pretty much became a big family. We'd leav our doors open and people would just come in and out to hang out and relax. Then when I moved to the 2nd floor of the building I met the people who are now my best friends. When I met my suite mate, Leta, we were best friends right from the beginning. And it was because of her that I met the guys who lived next door to her, who also became two of my best friends. My friends and I do everything together, the six of us are basically a family at this point and if we could have found a six bedroom house we would have all lived together. At 2am I don't think any of us are ever asleep, even on weekdays. We're always up late watching movies or studying for exams together or just hanging out and talking about random stuff. The dating scene at ASU is huge at ASU. I think we even had a singles page on facebook. It was pretty much go after whoever you want, whether you wanted a hookup with no strings attached or a serious relationship, you could find it at ASU. I met my boyfriend at ASU when I played for the women's collegiate water polo team. He played for them men's club team and our two teams went on a tubing trip down the salt river. We spent the whole six hour trip talking about just about anything we could think of, and by the next weekend we were dating. So a great way to meet people is to get involved in extra curricular activites that you enjoy because you'll meet someone who shares some of the same interests as you do so you already have a connection. Now for the party scene. Yes there are a lot of parties, most of which are hosted by the fraternities or sororities. But other people have house parties or just invite a few friends over to have fun. AS for how often people party, it really depends on who you ask. If you ask a fraternity brother, its every night. But if you asked me, its usually only on the weekends. But even if you're not into drinking there's always something fun to do. At Tempe Marketplace, which is just a mile away from campus there's a movie theater that you can go to, or there are a number of bowling allies in the area which are always fun to go to on a saturday night for glow in the dark bowling, just make sure you make a reservation before you go.

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? Again our campus is huge, so the most popular groups would be the ones sponsored by the University, for example, USG, PAB, Devil's Advocates, SPARKS, etx. · Tell us about a group you’re involved with. I am the President of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority Inc. We are a sorority that promotes leadership, multiculturalism, and self improvement, through academic excellence, involvement in and service to the campus and community, as well as being living examples of sisterhood across different races, cultures, religions, backgrounds, and lifestyles. We host a variety of different educational programming each year, perform large of amounts of community service, donate to our philanthropy, collaborate with other organizations, and provide a yearly scholarship to an incoming ASU Freshman woman who displays our tenets. We are members of hte Multicultural Greek Council on campus. (We are a nationally incorporated organization, founded in 1997 at UNC, now with 26 undergraduate chapters nationwide.) · Do students in dorms leave their doors open? When I lived in the dorms they did. · How popular are athletic events? Football, basketball, and baseball are the most popular. Guest speakers? There is always someone visiting our campus, for example in the past year we have had Gloria Steinem, Barak Obama, and Mar Jemison, just to name a few. Theater? We have an awesome venue, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, Gammage Auditorium, hosts a great lineup of Off Brodway shows every year, as well as ASU student productions. · Tell us about the dating scene. Im sure there is one, but I am happily taken, so have not had to deal with that. · How did you meet your closest friends? Most of them I kept after high school, otherwise through my sorority, or through the Multicultural Student Center.· If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? Homework, or on the internet · What traditions/events happen each year? We have some cool homecoming traditions, as well as annual service events. · How often do people party? Everyday. · How important are fraternities/sororities? Sad to say, not that important, but that is in part due to the Greek Organizations themselves. · What did you do last weekend? I really don't remember. · What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? um.. well, movies, mini-golf, swimming, play sports, exercise, play video games, go shopping, hang out with friends, go dancing, paint balling, go kart racing, etc. · What do you do off campus? Work, sleep, eat, play.

I lived in an outside dorm (ocotillo) so most people kept their doors closed. In other doors they were open especially during the first couple of weeks but, as the year progressed people didn't need to leave their doors open because they had already made friends. The football and basketball games are the most popular. Baseball and softball are popular in the spring. Many guest speakers frequent ASU but, I don't know how appealing they are to the student body. This year the favorite guess speaker was probably Obama. The dating scene is mixed a lot of people prefer to be single in the begining of the first semester and the end of second semester. People are more inclined to be commited in the time inbetween because they realized they would rather get some on a consist basis instead of hoping they'll find somebody at a random party that weekend. If I'm awake at 2am I am most likely lying in my bed not sleeping because I have too much shit on my mind or a lot of school work/tests in the near future. The traditions our school celebrates are Homecoming, spring break trips in Mexico, salt river trips, the undie run, pats run, etc. People party every day of the week except for sunday, usually. The most popular nights are thurs. through saturday but any night of the week is game. Its easier to party when your older because you can get into bars but when your under 21 you usually have to look for a party of get a fake ID. Frats and Sororities are somewhat important but, there usually considered a joke here because they don't hold the same standards as other frats in other places. People usually think differently about people that are in those organizations but they don't hold the kind of weight like they do on the south of east coast. Last weekend I floated down the river with a lot of people. I havent done much on a sat night that doesnt involve drinking but you can make it a personal choice not to drink if you want. Off campus I go out to eat, shop, and travel etc.

Since I live across the country, the beginning of my first semester was challenging. No one warns you when you go off to college that finding friends just as good as your ones from back home would be so hard. I found two very close friends of mine at the gym. Strange place to meet people, but in the beginning of the semester every body is looking for friends. I found other friends through classes. Where I met my best friends however was when I rushed a sorority. Greek Life at ASU isn't huge but definitely exists. I was having a very hard time adjusting at first so I figured I would rush since I had nothing to loose. I am now in Alpha Chi Omega and met all my best friends through the sorority. We do a lot of things all together on the weekends. For example, last night about 20 of us went to Tempe Marketplace and saw the midnight showing of The Vow. It was so much fun and the movie was great. Tempe marketplace is really close and has a lot of shopping and restaurants. Students go their often and it's easy to get to because ASU offers buses to take you there. Another common spot is Mill Avenue. It's close enough to walk, however you can just take the Light Rail as well. There are so many things to do off campus as there is on campus. On the weekends the MU offers "MU After Dark" and they have fun comedy shows and things like that. Other student activities include going to Football and Basketball games, laying out in the sun at the SRC or going to the fun concert that is being set up on the soccer lawn right now! The All American Rejects are setting up to play tonight and this is not the first time famous people have been on our campus. During welcome week we also had a performer and Tosh.O came and shot an episode here at ASU. Whitney Port from The City also came to talk to girls about fashion and how to dress for your body. There is ALWAYS something to do and it's so much fun.

There are so many student activities that are always taking place on campus. Football games are a big turnout- it is so exhilarating to be in the student section! You haven't experienced a sporting event until you get decked out in gold and stand while chanting with your peers on to victory. ASU offers many intramural sports which also have big turnouts. There is every type of activity you can participate in from dance to dodgeball. Intramural sports are a fun way to do something you love, but not having to compete against other schools. We also have a big theater program that is always putting on plays, musicals, etc. As well as having student production, there are so many professional productions throughout the year! Big hits this year have included shows such as "Wicked" and "West Side Story". ASU is all for traditions; there are an abundant amount that take place throughout the year. Some memorable ones include: the welcome back concert, Devilpalooza (the ASU equivalent to Lollapalooza), and whitewashing 'A' mountain (this is done by the freshman to symbolize a new chapter of life). The main campus is in Tempe. There are a variety of places to hang out nearby such as shopping malls, movie theaters, restaurants, Tempe Town Lake, and downtown Phoenix. And if you want to stay on campus for the weekend, there are still tons of things to do such as go to the bowling alley in the student union, play ping pong at the recreation center, go swimming in the pools, or just hang out with friends. Whether it is participating in an ASU tradition, attending a sporting event, or seeing a play- there is always something to do here at ASU.

One of the largest student groups I'm a part of is Greek life. I didn't make the decision to pledge a fraternity until my second semester, but it's one of the best decisions I made. Obviously a fraternity provided me with a great social life, but it helped me with a lot more. My fraternity helped encourage me to maintain good grades as well as distinguish myself as a leader on campus. Naturally, my closest friends are in my fraternity and I have a great time with them, not necessarily just at parties. I also made a lot of friends in the dorms that I'm still in contact with. Freshman are required to live in the dorms their first year, and it's a great way to get to know people. I lived in the Barrett dorms, where the majority of kids were very focused on their studies. Initially I preferred a more lax atmosphere, like that of Hassayampa, but being in good company helped me develop good study habits. My advice with a student organization is to get involved anyway you can. It's advice that's beat in to your head, but it's especially necessary in college. My fraternity takes up the majority of my time, but in the past I was part of a mixed martial arts club that was very fun. My other friends have gotten involved with an a Capella group, ultimate Frisbee, and volleyball. Organizations in college are all about pursuing your interests and having fun. They are also the best way to meet people.

There are a plenty of student orgs/ teams in all fields desired. I am involved with American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Students for exploration and development of space, AIAA, etc.. They are big orgs which are very active and have links with big industries and have a lot of talented people inside them. It depends, if someone is not concerned about privacy they might keep doors open. Guest speakers are very popular. Athletic events like football, basketball are immensely popular. There are many couples inside campus and they are quite open about it from the scenes on campus. But there is no offensive or unethical activities on campus. I met my closest friends in classes. I generally study late night to be honest because of busy schedule in the day time and that is very common with many students. There are plenty of cultural and fun filled activities that go on inside ASU. Its really Big. People generally party during weekends. Fraternities and sororities are quite and are always open for interested students. But it is optional. Last weekend I completed my assignments and had fun with friends, watched movies, etc.. Watching movies, long drive with friends, etc... Go to friends' houses who live off campus, visit places of attractions, various restaurants, etc..

Arizona State has some of the best activities and groups of any university. Football season is without a doubt the most fun part of the semester. Everyone goes to the games fully decked out in their gold attire, ready to cheer on ASU to a victory. Traditions such as white washing the giant 'A' on our A Mountain, the lantern walk up A Mountain, the parade, and the masquerade dance are all unforgettable. One of the best memories I had this semester was the free Lupe Fiasco concert hosted by ASU. It felt like the whole school was there, making it one of the most friendly and exciting environments I have ever been in. With all the clubs and groups that ASU offers, even when it's not football season, you are sure to have an amazing time. From sport clubs, fitness clubs, religious clubs, fraternities, sororities and a large amount of fan based clubs such as our Harry Potter Quidditch club, every student is sure to find a group they love. The campus is located right next to Mill Ave and Tempe Market Place, making it easy to go shopping or even just hang out.

The sports teams here are very popular, especially the football team. Although we haven't had the best seasons, the student section is always packed and pumped up for the games. Many people go to the sports events on the weekends and participate in tailgates. I haven't gone to many games recently, so I have the outside perspective on other fun things to do. Tempe has so much to offer that you will never be bored! In close proximity to ASU is Tempe Marketplace which is an outdoor mall that is very popular. Also, the lightrail can take you downtown to see the Diamondbacks, Suns, or any other interesting things downtown. The closest entertainment is Mill Avenue. There are tons of restaurants and shops that you can go to as well as live musicians almost every night. Saturday nights can always be fun when you go explore the town. If you don't want to do those sorts of things, sororities and fraternities are very popular and through them you will become part of a large group of brothers and sisters. The people in them always seem to enjoy them!