Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

The few professors that are the cause of many students' dislike of learning are the worst thing about this school. I have been reading all literature since I began to read, and to see professors tell their students they are wrong when they ask a subjective question is beyond wrong. The professors' ego has developed into a hard core, probably brought about through years of memorizing works and definitions. This has lead me to believe that they have never truly experienced art, and because of this, the student is either left with less knowledge or a greater dislike of literature.

The advisors are often less prepared than the students when it comes to class scheduling/registration. They don?t give valuable input, and typically don?t know when classes/programs are going to be changed or cancelled. This ends up being extremely inconvenient, as academic advisor are students? main resources. When students don?t graduate on time it is usually due to either failing classes and retaking them to complete their degree, or the advisors not advising adequately and they didn?t end up with enough credits of a certain type so they had to stay an extra semester.

The worst thing about my school is that it is too crowded. Arizona State University used to have that small town feeling, but now one navigating the campus would think it is a commercialized bureaucracy. The entire campus is ran like a business and many times I feel as if I am simply an ID number rather than an actual student. Because of its large size, I find it difficult to build personal, meaningful relationships with both students and faculty at ASU. Sadly, students at ASU are not valued individually and the university is only concerned with its own benefit.

The worst thing about ASU is the negative connotation it has for being a less-than-serious place to attend college. There are so many brilliant, kind, motivated people studying at the school and it's unfortunate that their commitment to education is shrouded by a rowdy reputation. I've found that the school is quite progressive in it's programs, technological infrastructure, and commitment to innovation. The staff members genuinely seem to care about each student's success despite the massive student body. If you have the will, you can find the way at ASU.

Lots of emphasis on business majors (i.e., internship fairs and job offers), many parties around campus that involve lots of alcohol, sometimes illegally (especially in the fraternity/sorority houses and the close-packed dorms on the north side of campus). Some professors seem like they honestly don't care about the students, that they just want to teach the class to get it over with. These are mainly graduate students, though there are some faculty who wish to do research and are forced to teach introductory courses and REALLY don't seem to enjoy it!

Arizona State University is one of the largest universities in the country. Finding yourself in this community, locating your classes, feeling that it is so vast and impersonal can be a large concern for many students and parents too. But Arizona State University has taken the insight to break the ASU experience into small classes, split up campuses, ( west, downtown, east valley), and matched students to advisors to make the transition easier for students and to assure parents that this is not a large, we don't care about the student, experience.

This kind of goes along with the first question. Almost anyone with a high school diploma will get accepted into UWF, but the fact that their registration process and advisor counseling is so bad, I don't know why anyone would want to get started there. There are some great aspects about the school, but it is so difficult to get started it can quickly get discouraging and most likely turn students away. The advisors are very little help when wanting help as a student. This I believe is one of the worst things about the University of West Florida.

The worst things about Arizona State University is mostly their interent problems, advising and over crowding the school. There are thousands of people within the college and it is very hard to get around campus cause of the amount of people. More and more people are coming. Since there are some many people on campus, ther are extreme internet problems. Wireless is the worst and is down all the time. When people try to get help with the internet, it takes several calls and days. Not all advising such but some just don't know what they are doing.

During my undergraduate career at Arizona State University I would have to say that the worst aspect was adjusting to the sheer size of the school. According to the US Department of Education, ASU currently has 58,371 students enrolled which makes it the largest school in the US. Yes it can be exciting attending a school which such a large student body, however, at times you can get lost and left behind in the traffic. Given the size of the campus and the level of excitement constantly present, its uncanny how easy you can begin to feel lonely.

I think the worst thing about ASU is the reputation it has as a "party school." As a pre-medical student, I chose to come to ASU because of the many opportunities the school offered, including research, multiple hospitals and internships. I was very impressed with the Phoenix metropolitan area, but I was disappointed to discover that many students consider ASU to be a party school where drinking is the only pastime. I know this overshadows the truth about this university, because I definitely have to work my tail off to earn my grades.