Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

If you want to party, you will find a large amount of people who regularly do. But if you don't, there are also plenty of people who don't. It just depends on what sub college you are in and who you find to hang out with. I've been going there for almost 3 years now, and not once have I heard of crazy parties, or anyone being pushed into going to one, and I am an art major. Also, though we are a dry campus, that still hasn't stopped some people from bringing alcohol into their dorms. Just know if you do decide to do that, your CA's will catch you and suspension or even being asked to leave the University is a common punishment. Overall, ASU hasn't lived up to the high stakes party school stereotype I've constantly heard/read about before enrolling. But if that's you, you will find it. Just depends on how much you want to party, I suppose. The college demographic is hugely diverse, and each campus will have a larger concentration of certain groups of people, though I'd never say they're stereotypes. Because Tempe campus in the main and largest campus, you'll get the wider variety of people attending. The fraternities and sororities are all based down there. West (Glendale) campus is fairly small, but is still diverse enough for most people. Polytech (Mesa) is also small, but I've never been there, so can't say much about the students there. Downtown is the smallest, and is located right in Downtown Phoenix, so there is a definitely an urban vibe,

In the past, Arizona State University has been regarded as a party school, with a pervasive reputation of jocks, frats and sororities. However, parents need not worry: this stereotype is quite out-dated. Although there's much offered for the students looking for something in the way of Greek life, ASU offers something for everyone with its 200+ majors. With the recent recognition of being in the top 25 University for Life Sciences in the world, and with the rather prestigious Biodesign Institute operating on the Tempe Campus, ASU has its host of "nerdy" science and engineering-minded students as well. Meanwhile, the Herberger Art Institute in Tempe and Downtown Phoenix attracts the artsy and eclectic. With a vibrant bar-scene minutes away from the Tempe campus on Mill Avenue, those looking to get out on the weekend (and let's face it, sometimes during the week), don't have to go far. And because ASU does a lot to fund students in financial need, students from all economic walks of life can be seen walking to class. So while stereotypes continue to persist, ASU can really be said to have em' all.

The kids at ASU are stereotyped as "partiers." Students that go out every weekend, forget about homework, and do the bare minimum. As ASU progresses as a top school at an international level, we prove this stereotype wrong. Student work hard, devote their time to their education, and earn their degree, leaving the fun for later. Most of the students I know are always hard at work, proving to be individuals who have high GPAs and support their school through excellence in academics and community bonding activities. We do tend to have fun once in a while, but what school doesn't? We make sure the work is done first. Prospective students should not underestimate ASU- we are a powerful group of students ready to take on the world and make changes for the better.

There are many stereotypes and it all depends on which "clique" you hang out with. If you are surrounded with greeks, then that stereotype is that you party too much; however, many greek organizations focus on academics and community service. The overall stereotype of Arizona State University students are of "party animals". ASU is attached to this label of being a party school, therefore, all students love to party. I think otherwise and surround my people with the same goals as mine which is to graduate and help my community. Furthermore, this stereotype is not accurate and all stereotypes about jocks, frat kids, stoners, geeks, are false. There is more to people than that.

A major stereotype that people have about Arizona State University students is that we aren't as educationally adequate as students of other schools. It is said that we go to ASU because it is the only place that we could get accepted. This is completely inaccurate. We have one of the top business schools and great programs. I have met so many people from all kinds of majors with great aspirations who are dedicated to school and who work very hard. Any college you go to is going to have students who don't set high goals for themselves or care about school as much as others.

Arizona State is definitely known as a "party school", however the second I got here I was pleasantly surprised with what I was encountering. Arizona State definitely has so much more to offer and slowly but surely I truly believe we are being recognized for all of the hard work our students and staff put into our education and their jobs as professionals. Though you will be able to find parties to attend by Arizona State students, you will more likely be able to find students who truly care about their education, enjoy working hard, and receive recognition where it is due.

Arizona State is believed to be home to the very "bro" stereotype and the plastic, sorority girl stereotype. There are definitely these types of students here, but it's not the whole story. This school is so big that you can find whatever you would want to get involved in. Barrett, the Honors College is wonderful, and the students who are in it are amazing. It also to find normal, non-"frat bro" or non-plastic students in other residential halls, but I really cannot speak for their experience. Quality of life fluctuates from student to student, even in the Honors college.

It is safe to say that a general stereotype of Arizona State University is that the University is a "Party School." This is an inaccurate general stereotype that gives ASU a bad reputation. Of course, if you are looking for the party life, you will have plenty of opportunities to find that, however, if you aren't interested, in no way do you have to par-take in that life style. There are plenty of other amazing things about ASU that are sometimes looked past, which is unfortunate and no student looking into ASU should stop their interest due to this stereotype.

The stereotype of students at ASU is that all we do is party. Hearing this stereotype before I came here was scary for me, because I knew I was coming here for school. I do think the stereotype is accurate for some people here, but it's like that at every college. Socialization is a huge and exciting part of college and I completely encourage it. However, going out every night of the week is obviously not the best way to socialize. There are so many opportunities on campus like clubs and greek life to get involved and meet a ton of people!

Arizona State University definitely has a reputation as a party school. While it's true that the students like to have fun with weekly pool parties, barbecues, trips to the Salt River, and Mill Avenue right next to the Tempe campus, the school has a lot more to offer academically. The business school and the design school have some of the top ranked programs in the country. Also, the variety of clubs on campus provides students with plenty of opportunities to get involved and enhance their resumes.