Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

k what's the best thing about ASU? all the choices - classes, majors, places to live, ways to get around, people. one thing i'd change? the FREAKING OUT OF STATE TUITION. and parking. what a RIP OFF. size-wise? ASU could be too big, but the way it's set up, you don't have to get lost in the crowd, academically or socially. how do people react when i tell them where i go? depends. a lot of people are surprised that a square like me is at a school like "that". but people know the name and most people seem to consider a good school, despite its rep. where do i spend most of my time on campus? everywhere, really...im all over the place. i will need all new shoes for next year, even though i got all new shoes at the beginning of this year...i do that much walking. favorite places are my dorm (now that i'm free of my evil roommate), hayden library, and the dining halls. college town? well we've got mill avenue, which is like pearl street mall in boulder, colorado. aka, awesome. and there's great public transportation and a lot of cool stuff that's easy to get to and not far, like the ever-wonderful tempe marketplace, home of target. <3 ASU's administration? eat some fiber, visit the bathroom, and then turn around and look before you flush - that's my opinion of ASU's administration. biggest controversy on campus? people chasing you down asking you if you have a minute for the environment or for gay and lesbian rights, people standing and screaming about how masturbators and girls in strappy tank tops are all going to hell, etc. you can't go anywhere without dodging swarms of them. school pride? oh heck yes. i was shocked to see people actually WEARING the ugly school-themed t-shirts they give out free all the time. people get real into the whole sun devil thing (this does not include me). anything unusual about ASU? i wouldn't know...i've never really been to any other college. XD there's a lot of navajos and a lot of barely-hispanic people with national hispanic scholarships, i noticed. one experience i'll always remember? stupid question...how can i choose just one? party roommate, moving dorms in the middle of the night, tutoring little kids in south phoenix (which is NOT the nice part of town), all my classes so far, the orbit... most frequent student complaints? inflated out-of-state tuition, far away parking that costs a small fortune, foul dorms, overpaid president crow, campus stalkers (see above), the HEAT, internet (cisco clean access agent = evil incarnate), overpriced markets (where you can get toilet paper and odwalla bars and the like), dining hall hours that seem better suited to a retirement community that a college campus. (you're not allowed to be hungry at night or on weekends, pretty much) oh and math teachers that don't speak english. oh and one other thing just to mention...ASU gives our scholarships like leftover candy after halloween. oh and one thing that sucks about ASU is that you can't take pretty much ANY art or music classes unless you're an art or music major.

ASU has probably one of the largest student populations in the country. With over 63,000 students last year, and even more coming in the fall, there's always a crowd on campus. Even with a student body that amounts to the size of a small city, I find that ASU is the perfect size for me. I always wanted to go to a big school where I could meet lots of people and where I knew there was a lot of school spirit. ASU students have a lot of pride in our school. At football games all you see in the student section is a see of students sporting gold shirts and painted faces, all cheering and singing the fight song everytime we score a touchdown. And its not just in sports that you can see the school spirit, its everywhere. There's not a single place in all of Tempe that you won't find ASU students representing their school with pride. The college town atmosphere that many students crave presents itself in a rather small area in Tempe. Well actually its four blocks of one street, Mill Ave. Mill is just a couple blocks from the dorms on North Campus and its a great place to walk around, grab some food at one of the many different restaurants, go shopping, or go bar hopping at night. Its always packed with college students, especially on the weekends when everyone is going out to have fun and celebrate the fact that they don't have to get up in the morning to go to class. The best part about ASU, in my opinion, is that there's always something to do or see on campus. On any given day there are booths set up around the Memorial Union or there's an event going on at PV Beach, the lawn area between the Palo Verde Dorms on North Campus. There are also speakers that come to the Grady Gammage Auditorium and speak to students about a variety of topics, we even had Barack Obama and Bill Clinton speak on campus last year. Whenever you're looking for something to do between classes or after you're done for the day you can always find something. Last year, when I was a freshman at ASU, my friends and I had a couple of places that you could always find us: In front of Palo Verde East, the dorm we lived in, sitting at the tables, at the tables on the back side of Palo Verde East, which a couple of my friends gave the nickname Asia because it was the "far east of the building." If you couldn't find us in either of those places we were probably in one of our rooms hanging out and relaxing after a long day.

The best thing about Arizona State University is the opportunities that come along with it. ASU is really about giving students the opportunity to attend college. There are so many resources for students and help out there, to make college life easier. The only thing that I would change is more regulation. Sometimes I don't feel safe at my school and I rarely see security or police walking around to regulate that nothing bad is going on. ASU is open to the public so anybody can walk on campus, even at night-time. It is a large school, depending on which campus you attend of course. Furthermore, I wish ASU was one large campus rather than split into West, Downtown, Tempe, Polytechnic. It would be nice if it was a smaller campus and students were more unified rather than in cliques. What I dislike the most is the reaction I get when I tell people I go to ASU. I never get a congratulations for being a first generation college student, immediately people start asking about the parties. Oh do you party a lot? Is there a lot of parties? ASU is not all about parties. It is who you are with and what you make out of your experience at ASU. I personally spend most of my time at Hayden Library and the Memorial Union, where all the food is. Overall, I really enjoy Arizona State University and this school has many resources to help students. I will always remember it because of the new friendships I have gained. I am part of Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, Inc. and it has been such a great experience and I have met so many new people and gained new friends. We have done so many community service events together and fun socials. Arizona State University has so many opportunities for students to make or join a club that really fits your interests so you can always feel part of ASU.

The best thing about ASU is the student body. I LOVE how many students attend ASU. It might seem over whelming to some people but once you step on the campus, you can finally understand that it's actually calm and peaceful. Walking to class is like walking around a hotel resort; it's absolutely gorgeous. One of the things I would change, if it were possible, would be how hot it is in August. I'm all the way from New Jersey so I'm used to much milder summers and it definitely took a lot of getting used too. Most people back home have a negative reaction about the school. All they know is the stereotypes they have heard like ASU being a party school. They don't know how much our campus has changed since President Crow. The teachers and quality of education keeps getting better . Most of my time spent on campus is probably in lecture halls or hanging out in the MU. The MU is a really cool place to be because you're around all student life and food, what can get better than that! Seeing all the students in maroon and gold shirts around the MU on an average day reminds me of how much school spirit we have. This year I had student season tickets to the football games and they were so much fun! The games are a huge memory of my freshman year as well as the dining halls. I will never forget the first time I walked into the dining hall, I was so scared and had no idea what food was at each station. I definitely think living in the dorms and eating at the dining halls are a really fun part of freshman year and I definitely encourage it.

I love ASU. The best part about it, is that I have a ton of resources available to me. Whether you're looking for tutors, study buddies, parties, or clubs, ASU has it all. The size of the student body can be intimidating so I strongly recommend finding some type of organization to get involved with. I chose to join a fraternity, and it was a great decision because it made campus more familiar. Having a community to be a part of made the size of the school just right. Overall, there's a lot of school pride. The sports teams aren't as popular as I'd like them to be, but the majority of kids like to rep ASU. Tempe is somewhat a college town. The areas near campus are catered to college kids, but not too much after that. The campus is great! It's clean, modern, and a fun place to go every day. There are plenty of student hangouts like the Memorial Union and Hayden Library. The best surprise about ASU was the quality of education I've gotten so far. I'm currently a double major in Sustainability and Supply Chain Management. The sustainability program is awesome and unique. At the end of the semester I plan to apply to the Barrett Honors College, which is very prestigious. When I first applied to ASU I was annoyed by the number of times people labeled it as a party school, but I don't care anymore. I'm very pleased with the education I'm getting, and I'm having a great time.

It's like its own city made up of random people from around the world. I felt lost in a sea of meaninglessness as my identity of being somewhat unique to a particular group was sweeped away by a sense of having no significance, to anyone, including the entire staff which has no problem seeing my ability to register for classes be hampered by the waiting time of sifting through the incredible huge pool of other students. To compensete, I saw many students begin to make attempts to reform their identity by doing different things like join clubs, become an A student, etc. Unfortunately, the majority of students seemed to deny their insecurity and found their way lost in the mix of other confused students who wish to re-experience their highschool lives of permiscuous sex and heavy drinking. This leads to an extremely large problem with rationalized alcoholism and disease spreading, and most students don't seem to get out of the worst destructive habits until their 2-3 year. At this time, they will have realized by some negative consequence (like parents cut off money or dui or school probation) that something inside of them has to steer the boat. For these kids, the future is bleek, but there are many ASU students who came to ASU for their elite programs (like sports, law, business) who are serious and responsible for their futures, and they seem to have a way to get through ASU ok.

I came to Arizona State for the Honors College, and I would say it's the best thing about this school. The classes and opportunities that the Honors College offer challenge students who are looking to get more out of their college experience. It is quite a big school, and it feels hard to get involved on campus at times. There is just so much to get involved in, and it's hard to wrap your mind around how big this school is. It's not a major problem; it just takes extra effort to get involved. People are unimpressed when I say I go to ASU because it's known as a party school, but luckily the Honors College is one of the best in the nation. I am involved in quite a plethora of activities, so I am either busy around campus or getting work done. I spend a lot of my time in my residence hall and our lounge. ASU is the only college in Phoenix, so when you are looking for opportunities to get involved off-campus, there is less competition than normal cities. However, doing fun things downtown is a rarity. Partying is prevalent. There is rumor that they might ban bikes and skateboards next year. One experience I will always remember is when I had to give a lecture in my Philosophy 101 class for an Honors Contract. It was one of the best classes that I think I will ever take.

Knowing what I know now about ASU, I would have chosen a different school! The only reason I decided to come here was because the Planetary Sciences program is one of the top in the country. Be prepared for 120 degree summers, 52,000+ other students on the main campus and really long walks to your classes. The school is far too large, both in population and area. I spend a large portion of my time in an office, but then I am a graduate student- and that is expected. The town is very much a college town, to the point that it's difficult to get away from the "students are irresponsible" attitude. The administration desperately needs an upgrade. I have not yet had an encounter with the administration or staff in which my questions were answered satisfactorily (especially where money is concerned). No two people will tell you that you need the same form for a specific purpose. The president of the university recently refused to allow handicap access to the student union/food court while remodeling the building after an arson-related fire! He stated that meeting fire codes was not important if it would only serve the few students who are handicapped! (And he makes $5 million per year!) The most frequent student complaint is that parking is hard to come by- and is exhorbitantly priced.

Arizona State University is a phenomenal place to study. One of it's biggest advantages is its size. The school has absolutely everything available to you that you could want. The school is set up so that you can easily avoid the large crowds to study are hang out with small groups of friends, but can still enjoy the large crowds and school spirit at big events like football games. The campus is situated so that you can get to a number of great places to relax without much hassle, like Downtown Phoenix and Mill Avenue. The one thing that I wish I could change about ASU is the reputation that comes with the name. The university has incredible resources, including great faculty that are always willing to answer questions. The large university also means that there are an incredible number of great research opportunities. The University is very technologically oriented and you can get most of your questions answered online. One of the experiences that I will never forget is when I emailed the Michael Crow, the President of ASU, and he personally responded to my email to answer my questions. Overall, I love ASU and if I had the opportunity to complete my Undergraduate degree again at any university I wanted, I would still choose to attend ASU.

I love Arizona State University! It is a large campus but they offer so many ways to become involved which makes your experience better as well as makes you feel like a part of the ASU community. Often times large colleges make it difficult to get into the classes you need to complete but I have never struggled to find open spots and the academic advisors are very helpful. Another concern is usually class size but I have only had two 300 person classes in my past two years here, other than that the class size is usually under 30. In between classes I spend my time at our Student Union building people watching, studying, or talking with friends. There is a lot to do in the Tempe area as it is not a small college town and located in the center of Phoenix. When I tell people I go to ASU they assume that all I do is party but that is an untrue stereotype. If you want to it is easy to find parties but it is not a necessary activity for college life here. Academics are taken very seriously and the school is very accommodating towards our needs by offering numerous tutoring centers, review sessions (both online and in person), and teacher and TA office hours. I love this school! It is a perfect mix of a fun learning environment.