Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

When picking a college, examine the institution from the perspective of your chosen field of study. Different programs of study at the same university can provide drastically different academic experiences. Talk to several students that are already in the program. Ask them about the faculty, resources, and hidden obstacles they and their friends have experienced. Many schools allow prospective students to shadow current students for a day. These one-on-one experiences are much more informative than the official school tours. Prospective students can experience the vibe of the school, participate in classes, and meet friends. If you have no clear idea of a program of study, look at cheaper schools that provide a wide range of studies. Get your general studies out of the way, and take introductory classes in several areas of study. Once you find a subject that interests you, continue to take classes in that program and talk to multiple advisors, students, and faculty from that area. Always find out which classes will transfer to other institutions. Success in college comes from maintaining good communication with your professors, completing your work in a timely manner, taking advantages of campus resources, and networking with your classmates.

As a current student of Community College of Aurora in Colorado I have deepen my personal and academic knowledge through successful full-time study. The college built a perfect foundation for learning with its science and computer laboratory, excellent teaching, and useful tutoring. Knowledge gained in subjects was easy and interesting to apply in real life. Here I have experienced a magnificent opportunity to accomplish academic projects that widen my knowledge and develop logical-thinking ability. Therefore, I had the pleasure of participating in the Global Climate Conference with presentation of a beneficial plan of using alternative and ecologically friendly sources of energy in the face of the global climate change. Moreover, in a Global Citizen Conference I presented a poster about a common disease in order to aware the audience about it. These projects built my self-confidence, develop creative problem-solving ability and expand my knowledge in the subject. This educational establishment is valuable to attend for ability to develop personal characteristics and gain professional skills that benefit our community. I am proud to be a student of this college, because every day here brings exiting experience and new skills.

Parents should be involved with helping their young adult when it comes to selecting the correct college but ultimately the final decision should come from the student. Choosing the correct college is extremely important. It can be a stressful for the student but by breaking down future goals and personal interests the process can become fun and exciting. If a student is already aware of what they would like to be in the future the next step would be to research colleges that excel in that particular field. From this point students should seek a school that includes a number of their personal interests like location, cost, academics, activities, and the college?s social reputation. Finally visiting the college and speaking with administrators and representatives should help students make a final decision on the correct school for them. When a student has made up their mind it is important for them to get involved and make the most of one?s college experience. In order to do this students should explore all opportunities provided by the school; this would include on-campus housing, sororities and fraternities, academic and or social clubs, athletic activities, and getting involved in the surrounding community.

I would urge myself to reconsider my choice to attend community college, and instead to attend a four-year university immediately after graduating high school. One popular view is that community college is a smart way to save money while pursuing an undergraduate education; lower level general-ed. type coursework is almost identical at community college and most four year universities. This is the common argument in favor of community college; and the one which persuaded me to follow that path. However, what the majority of community colleges do not offer is the college-experience. This often abused term represents to me the opportunity to explore, learn and grow through new experiences and is a benefit that though intangible, is invaluable to a truly successful academic career. The community college I attended was lacking in the kind of extracurricular activities that I feel might have helped me to be more successful, and in retrospect, I feel that the benefit of attending a four year university immediately after high school would greatly outweigh the added cost, and if possible I would advise myself as a high school senior to attend a four year university rather than community college after high school.

I have completed one semester of college here at ASU as a Civil Engineering major with a 3.79 cumulative GPA. Last semester was a great experience for me personally because it taught me the importance of managing my time efficiently so that I can keep up with and ultimately succeed in my engineering course curriculum. Time management is not only an important skill in college but in life as well. As an aspiring Civil Engineer, I realize that managing my time efficiently while being able to think critically to solve complex problems is crucial. For this reason, attending college here at Arizona State University for Civil Engineering has been invaluable. From my own personal experience as well as those of engineering upperclassmen here at ASU, I have come to realize that the curriculum and professors prepare aspiring engineers like myself well for the work force because of how well students are challenged to think critically and work together to solve complex problems. These skills are stressed heavily because engineers need them to be successful in their profession. Moreover, learning the value of time management, thinking critically, and working well with others has made attending college invaluable for me.

Reminiscing often brings up a lengthy list of "should haves" , "could haves", and "if onlys". However, I can condense my advice to my high school self in two phrases: research, and get involved. When I was a high school senior preparing for college I was unaware of the numerous career options in the Arts. My creativity was mainly exercised in my hobbies, extra-curricular activities, and pass/fail Art classes. When I considered studying Art in college, I thought my only career option would be to independently create art in a studio. If I had researched current art careers and had discovered the many lucrative positions there are in the workforce, such as: Graphic/Web Design, Advertising, Visual Communication, Art Direction, etc.; I would have pursued art in my higher eduacation. Entering college I put classwork first, and didn't understand the importance of student organizations and clubs. Uniting with others that share the same interests and passions as you help you develop skills, discover new talents, become a leader, and network. Now as a college graduate, I am following my own advice. After participating in Art classes, I am returning to school to pursue a career in Graphic design.

I have been diligent and privileged in my pursuit of medical science as a career goal because I am convinced that it presents me the great opportunity to live a fulfilling and rewarding life dedicated to aid my fellow human beings. This is perhaps an inner motive that persuades me forward to increase my academic knowledge. Once I realized what goal I wanted to pursue in life, I worked hard to succeed. One school of thought states that academic education is the foundation of all professions. Thus, I have begun to cultivating my chosen path by taking undergraduate course works. It was not easy to be a full time student and simultaneously the head of household with the responsibilities those positions entail. Yet, I feel privileged to have been able to further my education and establish an essential scholastic foundation at Arizona State University. I believe that my education at this university enabled me to expand and excel my knowledge through academic experience, improving my critical thinking and investigative potentials, skills essential for excellence in clinical practice. And, I am eager to apply these learned lessons to wander off beyond the boundaries of what I have already learned.

Choosing which college to attend can be an overwhelming and exhausting task. There are many aspects to consider. The school should not only excel academically, but it should also offer many resources, social activities, and opportunities. Although there are numerous aspects to consider, I personally believe there are three major areas that are the basis for one's decision: size of the school, location of the school, and degrees offered by the school. The size of a school makes a big impact on the amount of social activities and resources offered. Larger schools offer more social opportunities and academic options. Smaller schools tend to be more hyper-focused on specific sports, activities, and resource areas. In addition, the location of the school makes a big difference as well. Living on campus, laundry, parking, having a vehicle, and visiting family is all dependent upon how close the school is to home. And finally, attending a school with degrees specific to your interests is key. If you choose to switch majors, make sure there are other options available that appeal to you. Although there are many aspects to consider, it's important to find a school that fits you and your needs.

I remember the first time I walkled across the hazel lawns and sun-flecked walkways at Arizona State. Looking up at the massive Grady Gammage Auditorium, I remember feeling a whirlwind of emotions tossing about inside. The net effect was an intense excitement for what lay ahead. Since that day, I have "learned the ropes" of post-secondary academia, and even though the grounds are now quite familiar I still eagerly anticipate the challenges, experiences, and opportunities which await each semester. The first piece of advice I would give myself is: GET INVOLVED. By placing yourself "out there", in the face of the unkown and in your field of study, a myriad of opportunities will become available and will launch your career to new heights. Second, I would stress the importance of course mapping, time allocation, and timely academic advising. Knowing where you're going, how much time you must spend on classes, and that you're on track to complete your degree(s) withing your desired time frame is INVALUABLE. In my case, my double major demands much of my time, which affects my work schedule, extracurricular activities, and social life. Lastly: Build a network of colleagues and professors!

Do some serious research beforehand, especially regarding the culture and the financial situation of the school. Arizona schools have been increasing tuition by nearly 15% each year while freezing my scholarship at its original value. It is important to notice financial trends, to determine the real cost of going to school over the four or five years. School culture is also important to sniff out; some schools are notoriously known as ?party schools;? unless you want to spend most of your time at parties as a part of your socialization. It?s also important to unearth the school?s budget, to determine how much the school spends on education versus other activities (sports, arts, etc.). All schools will give scholarships to athletes, but there are a couple of schools that spend an exorbitant amount on athletes, spending millions on athletes while claiming that there is not enough money for books or teachers. In essence, it is important to understand the vibe that the school gives off; schools that are ?laid back? and ?athletic? generally focus on everything BUT school. The right college is the college in which you feel most comfortable, be it athletic-focused, conservative, or competitive.