Arizona State University

« See more reviews of Arizona State University

The most difficult thing about ASU is the absolutely insane amount of general education classes that are required, the lack of organization in humanities major maps, and the lackluster quality of Gen Eds. I have a very hard time feeling like my guidance counselors have any truly helpful information to give me. The school boasts amazing conpliance with environmental standards, yet they generally do not even recycle when it really matters (in the cafeteria). The office that helps people settle their students account doesn't exist anymore because too much tuition money was being returned to students.

The most frustrating thing is that ASU functions like a business, and I notice much more emphasis on that than on education. They hike up the prices of everything, just because they can and they know that because students often have no choice, they'll buy things anyway. Another frustrating thing is the location, because Arizona is a very boring state, so there isn't much to do here except party, but most ASU parties are dumb. Also, because ASU accepts so many students so easily, there tend to be many not-so-intelligent students, which can get really annoying.

The three things that I find most frustrating about the school are parking, advising, and when professors cannot speak English well. Parking is expensive and even temporary parking spots like meters and hourly parking garages charge til at least 10 at night. I have found the advisors almost useless; I have always told them what classes I should take. I feel that I could be an advisor with not much training. Finally, in my Chemistry major classes, it is common to have teachers that do not speak English very well which adds to the already difficult class.

Arizona State Universitys' Tempe campus is notorious for having more students than available parking space. During certain peak hours it is virtually impossible to find a spot to park. During these times the campus parking and transit department must have a field day given how many people are parked illegally. Im not certain if the Tempe campus is trying to phase out the idea of people commuting to school or if they just want to control the amount of vehicular traffic on the campus. One way or another, if you plan to commute to school, leave your home early.

Classes at ASU are so huge. It is considered normal to have a class with 700 students more. It really becomes problematic when you are trying to get the most out of your collegic experience , when you can't really attend office hours or there over booked because the class size! You have to distinguish yourself in the crowd, get to classses early, and if you can sit in the front row of all your classes. In the long run can be beneficial academically and finanicially. This way you can reap the rewards , and enjoy your collegic experience the most.

I would have to say that the most frusterating thing about my school is how big it is. The amount of people in each of the classes really affects the quality of education. Because of the huge numbers we have, professors are only able to administer exams, and grades are based solely on the grades of those exams. Students are not given the opportunity to prove themselves in other ways such as projects, papers, and homework. So school becomes more about getting the grade rather than learning and applying the material.

A lot of times it is very hard to get ASU to care about you as the student. Often times I feel like a business transaction and in the past few years I strongly feel that ASU President, Michael Crow, is taking Arizona State from being a highlight university with an AMAZING student life and trying to take away all that is student life. Restirctions on football tailgating, greek life, and other student organizations and athletic programs is making the desire to go to asu (from students who want the WHOLE experience) lesser.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the variety of payment methods. We can use cash or card, maroon and gold dollars, or sun dollars. M&G dollars are used primarily for food and students are able to load money onto their I.D. With sun dollars, a student is able to use it at several more locations including places off of campus. The frustrating part is that as a freshman student living on campus, we only have the option of either a meal plan or maroon and gold dollars so we are limited in a lot of ways.

The academic advising can be terrible. I went through four advisors before I found one who knew what she was taking about. I love my current advisor, but I still remember my incompetent ones. Make sure you check your schedule with two or three people before registering for classes or making an important decision. Don?t take no for an answer. Ask around. There is usually a way to petition, override, etc. your way around a problem. When you find a great advisor (yes...they do exist), stay with him or her. :)

The most frustrating thing about Arizona State University is the parking. Parking permits, which were once $75 per year four years ago are no $250. This permits you to park in a spot roughly half of a mile from classrooms, and the parking is not guaranteed. For permits in parking structures, the costs is over $600.00. This school is not good enough to charge that much for parking. It's unfair to students, especially since tuition over the same period of time has seen a 20% increase.