Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College

Johnny

It is pretty good--not great, but pret-tay, pret-tay good.

Sadie

AB Tech is a wonderful community college with a plethora of scholarships that are available upon completion of the FAFSA. The class sizes are small enough to make it easy to form relationships with classmates and teachers/professors, and it's close enough to downtown, West Asheville, and Biltmore Village to take some of the stress out of the daily commute. There is no on-campus or off-campus housing, but there are plenty of bulletin boards advertising rooms for rent, sublets, etc. All of that considered, AB Tech is worth it. It's inexpensive, you get a good education, and the diversity of the student body is fantastic.

Courtney

Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (ABTECH) is a growing community college with a great history for expanding education in rural areas, and an enormous potential. Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College offers a variety of workforce-focused programs, from a bachelor's degree in nursing to mechanical engineering, to dental hygiene and pre-kindergarten education. ABTECH is a an excellent employer in the mountains, and responsible for multiple generations of students in rural areas having access to education. They have helped the local economy in Asheville, NC, our busy little town, to grow tremendously. ABTECH is known for it's small class sizes, affordable education, updated campus facilities, and ample resources available to students. ABTECH is recognized by many four year universities in the surrounding areas where transfer credits are accepted, and many students choose to begin their education at ABTECH in an effort to benefit themselves financially long term. I highly recommend that recent graduates and adult-learners alike consider ABTECH in order to achieve their goals and make a better path for themselves.

William

AB Tech is a great school for technical training/programs, as well as transfer prep for those looking to move on to a 4-year. As a two year school there are no dorms or a big cafeteria. However, a lot of students attend Tech, and the campus is always thriving. Tech is very affordable, and has flexible class schedules. Tons of courses are offered online, and apparently they've just released an Associate of Arts program that can be completed entirely online. While the main campus is large and located in downtown Asheville, Tech does have satellite campuses throughout the surrounding areas. In hindsight, I am very glad to have attended here for my first 2 years of college. It was a great value for the price. Great class availability, and fabulous instructors. Tons of networking opportunities, and tons of great people. I loved AB Tech and would definitely recommend it to others.

Harlan

Ab-Tech is a standard community college, that is above-standard in its ability to help its students. In my experience, I have taken all online classes, and have been amazed at their ability to help accommodate my scheduling. I work full time, doing what is known as "shift work", consisting of 8 days in the woods and 6 days at home. Every semester, I email my teachers and tell them my schedule, hoping and praying that they will help accommodate the few assignments on the syllabus that the deadlines I will not be able to correctly get. Not once have I been turned down. Every single time, the teachers have been more than happy to change the dates if needed, opening assignments early or extended deadlines. This amazing opportunity has given me the ability to do the work I love, while also attending school which I so desperately need.

Matthew

I think that Asheville Buncombe technical community college is a very repetitive place. Theres not any excitement going on, you go there to take the classes you need and theres not much more to the environment other than just going to class everyday. Asheville-Buncombe Technical College is not a very friendly environment.

Katilyn

I truly enjoy AB Tech. I am very happy that I was able to attend the nursing program here as they have one of the best programs around. The instructors are always available either in office hours or by email. The staff is friendly and class times are manageable with a lot of options bein online.

Caleb

The college programs are probably one of the most advanced one can receive despite attending a community college. The programs are designed in order to either prepare you for the workforce or, if you intend to move on to a four-year university in North Carolina, to provide you with perfectly transferable courses in order to continue your education elsewhere.

Sherri

This college has it all for a great price. Their focus is on success and they do everything they can to ensure students are successful in their classes. The advisors are readily available and are tied to your program of study. You can't go wrong here.

Antonio

Before I enrolled at AB Tech I've always heard people saying how nice this school was. Now I know why. The teachers are great. The staff is awesome. I love the fact they offer so many general courses every semester, including summer. My advisor is a wonderful person. I also love the fact that you can see the mountains year-round. I'm looking forward to graduating from AB Tech in a couple of years.

Asheville-Bumcome Technical has smaller class sizes then typical universities which makes it easier to get to know your classmates and instructor. Also gives the instructor the ability to have time to help out individual students. The atmosphere on and off campus is great, all of the staff are always willing to go an extra mile to help you out.

Esther

I attended this school for one and a half years. I loved it there. I loved the people I met. I loved the atmosphere and view (It sits right on top of a mountain). I loved Asheville. I was too poor to stay though. Asheville is super expensive. I met my favorite teacher there. She helped me love math. Honestly, I'd go back there if it wasn't so darn expensive to live.

Sally

I am a second year college student here at ABTech, and for a community college it is an excellent choice in my opinion. There are draw backs though, being a community college everyone commutes so there is very little to no student body life. Everyone come to class and then leaves so there aren't too many opportunities to meet friends. It is possible though if you put yourself out there enough and try. There are not many clubs that I am aware of. I wanted to join a club for a while to meet new people and feel more involved but I was unable to find one that interested me. There are some really good points to ABTech though, the professors are generally very helpful and want you to succeed and are available outside of class most of the time. I have never felt unsafe on campus and the campus police are always within a 2 minute response time. I chose to attend this college the first two years because of how cheap it was. It is amazing how inexpensive they have been able to make it! Most students receive financial aid of some sort so it makes it basically free. You can't beat that! I knew that by receiving my Associates in Arts here I would be saving a huge amount of money which means I will graduate with significantly less student debt than my friends who have gone to a four year school for their whole college career. Also, I have checked with a variety of schools and even out of state schools will accept the majority of not all of my credits when I transfer! Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College is not great in terms of college life and for someone that wants to feel apart of their school; however, for those who are money conscious and who see this school as merely a stepping stone to something larger and better, ABTech can be a fantastic choice for those students with the right mindset.

Samuell

I like going there to learn thats it

Glen

It's a fine starter school, and they do have some facilities that can come in handy if a student needs them. The library is well stocked, the computer labs are functional and most of the technical aspects of the school are up to date and properly functioning. The campus is fairly small, since it's a community college. The staff is extremely friendly, and it's fairly easy to navigate. Parking can be a nightmare, even with the new parking deck fully built. So come early.