San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

The worst thing about Ashford University online, is that there are degrees available that your current state will not recognize. You have to be sure that the degree you are working to, will be accepted in your state. For example, a bachelor's Early Childhood Education with Ashford will not give you a teaching certification. The Utah State Office of Education will not accept specified course work from Ashford. I am currently transferring to Utah State University. Be sure that the classes you are enrolling in, will be transferable. You do not want any of your work go to waste.

I consider the worst thing about attending an on-line university the lack of interpersonal contact with fellow students and instructors. The freedom to attend and complete course work on my own time is wonderful and necessary given my circumstances but I do miss the face to face association of campus study. During course discussions the lack of body language and other non-verbal communication as well as the absence of study groups is the single draw back of on-line study. On-line study has proven difficult to meet people, develop study groups and establish friendships.

In dealing with adult students, younger professors and instructors must realize that student s are not like they used to be, and it is more on an transformaltionl level, whereas, the Instructor becomes the motivator and offer critical thinking opportunities to its students, rather than the McDonalized way of thinking and doing a project or paper. We must keep in mind that innovation encourages more media awareness, and the interactions of the students wanting to branch out and bring something creative within the guide lines of the insructors view point and assignments.

So far I have not found anything about my school to be terrible. The cost of returning or starting school at any college is of course the worst part. It seems wrong that education is pushed so heavily throughout life and more and more I have found that you need more education at a higher level to obtain any decent employment. Yet somehow, despite this, education is outrageously expensive causing anyone who goes to complete their education with a mound of debt they will work most of their lives paying off, which does not seem fiscally responsible.

There's NO job assistance or internship programs available when completing the online degree at Ashford! So it may be harder to find a job when you're finished; as for me -a year and a half later -I'm still looking for work despite a 3.96 GPA. You will also not experience any campus activities completing your studies online, but you'll be so busy it shouldn't matter much. Some of the PhD teachers do have such a high opinion of themselves that they may be less likely to work with students compared to the other instructors.

I cannot answer this statement as I have no complaints about this univeristy. Each part of the educational experience is geared towards creating an inentional learning experience that is heavily supported from the beginning to end. The staff is incredibly supportive and the instructors are knowelegeable and always available to the student. The beginning class for each freshman is class that helps the student identify their own learning patterns.

The worst thing I consider about my school I attended was the lack of concentration on my education/career goals. I am employed as a Physical Therapist Assistant and attended Ashford University to get my Bachelor's Degree in Biology to be able to advance to a higher degree of a Physical Therapist which is a Master's Degree. Concentration of education/career goals that was looking to obtain were kinesiology and athletic training.

I am an online student. I love my school. The only thing that I have found to be negative is when there are classes that I would love to be in person to have the advantage to have discussion in person as in Literature classes and in the class I am now taking "Cultural Anthroplogy". Other than this, Ashford University is an upstanding university with upstanding teachers, advisors, and financial aid counselors.

The worse thing about my school is that they have not received my transcri[pts yet for the Community College I attended and graduated from in 2005. The courses that have been selected for me to take in order to earn my degree includes courses I have already taken . By not receiving my transcripts yet, my estimated date of graduation is extended to January 2013 instead of sometime in 2012.

As far as taking online classes like myself the one bad thing that I would have to say about taking online classes at this point is just not being able to work hands on with anyone but is definantly something that do-able. I am for sure learning to work alone and if I need help, people are more then willing to help out and anwser questions to the best of their abilities.