San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

Given the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior about campus life I would reinforce opportunities present and future. As the senior version of myself I realize that the opportunities of friendships, relationships are unique as a college freshman; I would reinforce to my younger version the need to enjoy and cherish the campus fun life withoug comprimising other opportunities. Friendship and study opportunities like attending study sessions, forming study groups, and developing relationships centered aroung school work are the major misses that I experienced in my younger college years. As a senior version, I would help my junior version understand the campus learning opportunities as well. As a first generation undergraduate student I did not fully comprehend the goal of achieving a Bachelors degree; because I did not understand I did not set goals to maximize the opportunity of attaining a degree at the low cost when compared to future finaicial and opportunity costs. Learning and developing without the burdens of full-time work, and fatherhood was limited and unique to my first two years of college. I would help my younger version understand the importance of seting goals to maximize learning, friendship, and educational opportunities.

Being in touch with who you are is most important in success. Discovering your interests early on and spending time with individuals who share those same interests, affords a solid road of guidance. Spend as much time as possible around inspiring successful individuals, as their words and action our nourishment promoting a spirit of enthusiasm. Above all, realize that you are not alone in your struggles to be successful. Be as patient and compassionate with yourself as you are with others. Always be empathetic, knowing that you are a member of a mass, diverse society,which is your most advantageous resource of learning. When locating a university to attend choose on- campus courses along with online courses. Prior to admission communicate with students and staff their opinion offers the greater insight. Question their experience with the university; its policies and procedures. Attend a four year university from the start. Two year community college credits are undermined when entering a higher learning institutions. Most important, be diligent by entering college directly following high school. There is much to be said of the old cliche' "If you don't use it, you'll loose it."

Finding the right college is a major decision that is very personal. Relax, allow yourself time to research different schools. The college your friend went to may not suit you. Think about things like if you want to live on campus or attend online. You know yourself better than anyone. Figure out your basic wants; compile a list from the library and internet or bookstore of accredited colleges that reflect your needs. Now it?s time to talk to an advisor. Careful now, some advisors are great salespeople. Advisors should be helpful, not pressuring. Advisors will guide you and help with overall costs, financial aid/loan availability, transferred courses, etc. Feel free to ask advisors questions about campus life, online programs, and diversity. With this information, you can visit the colleges or do virtual tours online and start applying. To make the most of your college experience, you will need to find a balance between your social life and academics. With the right school, curriculum, and desire to reach your goal it will be personally rewarding. The results of your decision will affect you for the rest of your life, so make a sound decision about your education.

Never choose a community college over a university unless it is absolutely necessary. Yes, a community college is cheap and affordable, however, it will take longer for you to reach your degree if you choose to go to one. There are universities out there that will help you financially if need be. Nevertheless, choose wisely when it comes to universities. Make sure that you do your homework about the college you choose. Check the colleges staff and faculty memebers. Make sure they are reliable. Check their Retention & Graduation Percentage Rates. Check to see if the school has more dropouts than graduates. Check student comments, those who have attended the school (graduates and dropouts). See what they have to say about the school. Never choose a school with more NEGATIVE feedback than POSITIVE. When speaking with a college advisor, ask questions. You DEFINITELY want to ask questions first before applying. Ask for information about the school. 'How much is the tuition here?' or 'Can I transfer credits?' You want to make a lists of questions to ask. When you do apply, be sure to have a FAFSA account so that the transactions needed with the school will be easier to handle.

When seeking the right college for someone certain ideas and advice come to mind. One should seek a college that has an aire of personal care and undretsanding for each individual student. A faculty that cares and actually responds to each student with the time and respect that they deserve. Pay attention to the signs as one goes through the admission process. Ask questions, whether they be little or too big to answer. Look for diversity. Diversity is beneficial to every single person because outside of that campus one may be at for four years or more, the real world is one big mixing pot and at some point or another everyone will have to deal with people from all types of religions, races, and backgrounds. Having that diversity around will also help to make individuals more tolerant and less stressed around ideas that they may not understand completely which could benefit their success in the business world. Be sure to ask about any available resources that can be used to help with completing the college degree in easiest possible way.; such as 24/7 tutoring, research search engines with academically correct sources, and around the clock technical help.

If given this opportunity of going back and giving myself college advice based off of what I know now, I would definitely start with the advice of not procrastinating. Get down to business with filling out as many college applications. Not only allowing yourself a greater array of options, but also allowing yourself the greater chance of the college experience you want for yourself and not having to settle. Another piece of advice would be, filling out as many scholarships as possible. Seriously! College will kill you with debt, and if you are able to not have to come out of pocket but instead pocket some extra money for the future, is strongly encouraged and recommended! I would also say to go on as many college visits as possible. You can only take so much information about a college from online, but nothing beats you actually being on the campus and checking out the cafeteria and dorms in person. If I had the chance of taking these advices prior to attending college, I am positive I would be at a totally different college right now. Take full advantage of the opportunities in which offer the best college experience for yourself!

The main thing that I have gained from the college experience is confidence. I am a housewife, a mother of three, and also have a bipolor disorder which for the most part has precluded me from accomplishing even the smallest goals. The support of my family and the assistance from the staff at Ashford University (especially the Disability Center) has ensured success in my educational endeavers. Prior to enrolling at Ashford University, my bipolar condition kept me in and out of the hospital. Regardless of the goals I set, the end results were failure. A new doctor, support and encouragement of family and friends, coupled with education has resulted in a formula that has kept me healthy. This is evident by my current 3.05 GPA I have since starting classes in September 2008. I am excited to tell you that I am expecting to graduate in September 2010. Furthermore, I have decided to further my education by making it my long term goal to achieve a Master's Degree in Psychology. I now have the confidence to pursue my dreams and to become the person I always knew I could be. I look forward to continuing my education.

In the Spring of 1998, I graduated as a PSEO honor student from both high school and college, and successfully completed an Associate of Liberal Arts Degree. That summer I enrolled in pre-nursing classes, with plans of obtaining an RN degree. However, just after I enrolled, I became pregnant with my first son. At that point, my husband and I decided that caring for our infant son while working part-time and going to school full-time was not the best option. Our family continued to grow, and we currently have four children, ages 4 to 11 years old. While my husband worked full time for MNDOT, I worked part time as a Licensed Daycare Provider. Finally, in January of 2010, I was able to enroll in the Nursing Program at HCC, in Hibbing, Minnesota. Things have changed since I attended college 11 years ago. There are more opportunities to learn, including online classes. I can carry full-time credits with campus classes only 2 days per week. Finishing my education is essential to our family's financial health, and it would not be possible if not for the opportunity that online classes provide, in addition to financial aid.

Wow, I would have told myself to have a more direct path to an achievable goal in mind. I would have not take so many college prep classes without totally committing to them. I would have taken some commprehensive career oriented tests including personality type assessments such as the Briggs-Meyer and understanding Gardner's seven basic intelligences. I woul have told myself to begin with introductory classes and electives and build up to harder courses built around my major. I would tell myself to work harder at studying for the S.A.T. and other college entrance tests. I would have told myself to research and study the job market at that present time to ascertain which career fields were the most prevalent, secure, and sustainable. I would have told my former self to speak more with my school counselors and even try to speak with relatives about the entire process but unfortunately this option hardly existed at that time. I would have told myself that life will be extremely hard and the little fun that you are having now is not worth it compared to the sorrow, struggle, and pain that will be endured in future years.

If I could address myself as a high school senior, Ihere's what say: 1. Plan on staying in one college until you finish your degree because you'll lose credits if you transfer. 2. Attempting too many classes in one term is unrealistic. Take fewer courses and divide your study time equally between them. 3. With no financial help from parents, you should apply for scholarships rather than taking on energy-draining and time-consuming part-time jobs. Limit part-time work so that you can devote enough time to study and sleep. 4. Take care of your health. Avoid too much partying. Make sure you get enough sleep, exercise and proper nutrition. Your brain needs these for optimal functioning. 5. No matter what is going on, never give up. Develop the heart. Too much energy is spent on developing the mind so also develop the heart. Be compassionate, not just to your friends but to everyone. Work for peace, in your heart and in the world. And I say it again: Never give up. No matter what is happening, no matter what is going on around you, Never Give Up. (paraphrased from His Holiness the Dalai Lama XIV)