San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

Upon graduating college I would have educated myself on the school’s curriculum first and also applied for more scholarships. I would have taken some pre- college courses to prepare me for the type of courses I would have taken in college. I would have encouraged myself to read and studied hard in high school and to not been so focused on sports and having fun. I realized that college was a full-time job that required every part of you to be successful. I would tell myself to be more open to other individual’s views and backgrounds. There are many different people in college, I would encourage myself to get out there and meet everyone that I could. I would tell myself to value my high school and education and experience because once it’s over, you will have to fend for yourself in college.

Valerie Curtis June 1st, 2013 If I was able to go back and talk to myself in high school I would say, college is once in a life time kind of deal, you can always go back as many times as you want but you can't get the time you wasted back, go to college stay in college and gradate with all your friends, find what makes you happy though out school, there is two years of just G.E and between that is what you want to do with you life. If i was to go back in time, i don't believe I would do so, I know i missed so much already but i love my life and where i stand, it will always have its ups and downs, but its my life and i take it all that it does come with, no matter how bad it gets, I know I will always walk up the next day, loving my life, loving my family, even more so loving my son.

Advice that I would give to other students is to be dedicated and motivated to learn. The course that I am taking is the online degree course and it can be hectic at times but the best advice I can give is to stick with the studies. If students continue and not focus on the fast pace learning experience they will benefit in the end. The number one thing I found beneficial to me in my learning experiences is never be afraid to ask. The more questions asked is the more knowledge learned. I chose Ashford University for their reputation and commitment to their students future success. I researched many colleges and Ashford was the college that best suited my needs and made me feel special. Their admission advisors are awesome and they show concern for the students needs and interests.

The advice that I would offer to parents and prospective students is to make sure and thoroughly examine, as many schools as possible, to determine your final choice. The degree that you will receive is an important decision in the rest of your life's career. Not only is the cost important, but, the type of campus, learning environment, and future benefits of the university are critical to the total quality education for each individual. Most importantly, do not rush into any decision on the school choice you want to attend. Each parent and/or student should research, examine, network, and physically tour each school, under consideration, before making a final decision. The decision is considered to be one of the most important decisions an individual will make in their life time.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to never give up. Getting your degree takes time and patience, something I often forget from time to time. I would also tell myself to relax, and take life one day at a time. College is often overwhelming, and I need to remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will get there. It takes time to get where you want in school and to keep my chin up. Deciding to futher your education after high school is a big decision and one that I would never change, but yes, it is very expensive and challenging and often stressful. So my biggest piece of advice I would give myself is, keep your chin up and keep trucking because I going to get to the end of the tunnel no matter what.

College showed me my true potential, and helped me figure out what I want to do with my life. Throughout my college experience, I have always been able to succeed. I held a 4.00 through two years of community college while majoring in science and taking difficult courses such as organic chemistry and calculus. Through Minnesota's Post Secondary Enrollment Option, I graduated with my A.S. and highest honors at the age of 17. This accomplishment showed me I was cut out for science, and helped me choose chemical engineering as my major. I found it very encouraging to do so well in school, to have something that I excelled at. College thus far has brightened my whole future, and will continue to do so by providing opportunities for education, enrichment, and employment.

Knowing what I know now about college I would go back and tell myself a lot my senior year, but the most importaint thing I would tell myself is to start studying and teach yourself good study and homework habbits now. In college it is a lot diffrent than in high school. In high school you can blow off your homework and just wing it when it comes to test day, but in college that does not work. In college you need to spend your time outside of class productively or you will find yourself lost and confused in class and have no clue whats on the test. Also you need to study for your tests. When I was in high school I rarely had to study to get a good grade on a test, but now that I am in college I have found out I rarely get a good grade on a test unless I study for it.

I would have strongly pushed myself to do research on grants and scholarships. Not to try to go to college is a major error in judgment. So many students have no idea what they want to be and I was one of them. If I had someone telling me that life is shorter than I realize and how pulling my head out of the dark would make my life easier when I was older and with children of my own, I would have tried harder to prove my parents wrong. However, I do not regret starting college at the age of 37. Not only does this give me the drive to finish, it also proves the point to my daughters. Going to college is a no brainer step in life that has to be taken if you want more than just life happening around you. Do you want more in life? Go to college anyway you can.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to follow that dream of higher education. Don't let the bumps in the road get in your way. Be the first one in your family to obtain your degree, it's not as difficult as you may think. All you need to do is organize your time and remain focused on your studies. Get support from your family and friends, they can help keep you motivated. I was really nervous about courses. Don't be, have confidence in your knowledge and abilities. It has been so many years since I went to school, I started to discount my abilities, telling myself that there was no way I could get through an assignment, or write a paper. I was so wrong, I am rocking a 4.0 and have a fantastic time doing it. Your never to old to go back to school!

I would tell my younger self that I just needed to attend the classes and I would eventually graduate. I was too easily distracted and took some bad advice. 10 years later, I still don't have a degree but I am working on finishing it now. I would tell myself to stick with it and become more disciplined cause it would all be worth it in the end. It is very difficult to go back and finish after time off, so if I became overwhelmed or needed some time I should take fewer courses the following semester instead of not taking any classses. I would also tell the younger me to stick with school and that there is still time to have fun after graduating college, in fact it will be more fun. The only thing I should have focused on was commiting to school and staying on track.