San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

Dear self, It is never too early to prepare for college. Remember that everything you do will determine your academic future. Have fun but, stay focused. If you want to do well, make sure others are doing well too. Volunteer in your community and do as much good as possible. It’s great that you volunteer already but, you can do more. Be proactive in your search for school. Make sure that it is a great fit for your ultimate career goal. Research the school and make sure that it has academic integrity. Talk to current students, educators, and counselors in order to judge your future surroundings and quality of education. Always study and work hard. Your academic success is very important. There are lots of computer programs that will help you prepare for the SAT’s. Don’t be afraid of math. It can’t hurt you. Remember that practice makes perfect (playing games in class on your scientific calculator will not). College is expensive. Don't be discouraged. Grants and scholarships can help you. You have dreamt of being a journalist since elementary school. Don’t limit yourself. You can do it! From, Your Future

Calm down. Not knowing what you want to major in or make a career of is ok. It is better to take the time to find something you are passionate about now than to commit to something you may be unhappy with in 10 years. Although most people think if you put off school you will end up not going, you will soon realize that Pappie has had a much greater impact on your motivation and pure desire to learn. There are going to be obstacles that seem to never subside, numerous discouraging times where you will feel like there is no point, and many people questioning some very personal decisions. In everything you do, always remember that your underlying purpose is what drives you, not the opinions of those who pass judgement. Things are constantly changing, but the one thing that will always remain is the value of knowing who you are and not altering the values, dreams, and beliefs you hold so close for any reason other than toward your own personal growth throughout those changes. No matter how long it may take to see achievement "on paper," your true success lies, and will emanate, from within.

Advice I would give myself would be that which I give my children. Do not look at a continuing education as a burden, as you do high school. College education is different, you are your teacher in many ways. You control what you want to learn and how you are going to learn it. There are no teachers breathing down your neck, you are the one who will be responsible for yourself. College is not just an educational experience for those just graduating high school. College is an experience in responsibility for oneself, learning about great friendships and transitioning from youth to adulthood. Do not be afraid of these transitions, they come to you as you do not even notice. As a young college student you will enjoy the remaining part of your youth while looking forward to the rest of your life. You can take this time to build a foundation for everything you may want to see in the future, but also have the realization there will be unforseen events that may command a detour. No matter how many of these detours are ahead, keep your eyes on the road. You will get to the destination eventually.

I would say start immediately with college. Review schools until you are sure you found the one you want to attend to avoid the transferring process. Education is needed to be successful in life and there are no shortcuts in life. Take a field of studies in demand and you will enjoy, money is not everything. Do your best the higher the GPA the more opportunities for a better job. Do not be afraid to ask for help in college. If you fall behing the catch up is too hard and will lead to failure. Follow instructions in class and for scholarships this is crucial. Student often lose scholarships by not reading the instructions. In class not following instructions costs grades, lowering the GPA. When writing proofread everything even these essays for scholarships. Good grammar counts in all parts of life, if you cannot communicate it is a problem. Manners need to be taken into account, foul language, cellphones, and disrespect are going to get you no where in school. Above all have some fun also to prvent burning out on studies. Do not be a party person be a good student having fun sometimes.

The best advice that I could give is for the prospective student to make visits to the schools you are interested in. This way they will find out about the community the school is in. Do not choose a school just because of it's name. Choose the school on how comfortable the staff makes you feel, whether you like/dislike the class size, and most importantly if the education you will receive from the school is worth the time, effort, and money you will need to put into it. Choosing a school and how well you do there will affect the rest of your life. It is not a decision that should be rushed into. Research the choices and choose the school that allows you to accomplish your goals without changing the person that you have become. The perfect school will enable you to be yourself, yet guide you in achieving your education. Remember the best school might not be the biggest in the nation, so always leave your options open. If you visit a school and feel comfortable with the staff, students, community, and price that you will pay then you probably have found the school to attend.

Focus can make all the difference when one sets out to achieve anything great. Anyone can see it all year round when he/she hears or sees a particular champion or team of champions rise to the top of any given sport and claim the coveted "Best of the Best" title of their time. Most admire success from people who devote their lives to a seemingly single purpose such as charity, public office, business and so on. The common denominator that drives them all toward their goal is focus. It is focus that allows one the motivation to keep pressing toward "the prize". Focus is the antidote to the failures which have often poisoned the minds of many up and coming people killing their chance of success and greatness. The tragedy here is that one often shifts their focus from the goal to their past failures. It is commonly known how difficult it can be to move forward when an individual can't take their eyes off of what is behind them. When I go back to my high school senior year I will remind myself how important focus is to my goals, my purpose, my dreams, and my life.

High school does not adequately prepare students for college. In college, you are 100% responsible for classroom assignments, homework, tuition, obtaining books, and prioritizing your time. There is no one telling you when to study. I would tell myself to get organized and schedule study time. The teachers go at a fast pace. More likely than not, when you are not attending classes, you are studying or completing an assignment. Another piece of advice I would give myself is to start a study group. In addition to forcing you to study, it can help you understand the material better if you have to explain it to someone else. In this process, you also need to find out how you learn best. Utilize the resources the school offers, such as the library or tutors. There may be rooms in the school's library that offers a quiet place to get lost in your notes. My final piece of advice to myself would be to read my notes the next day and keep reading them every week or so throughout the semester. This will help retention a great deal so you don't have to cram before the tests.

I would study alot harder for each class, a couple of hours per day and studied each class each day. I would have tried to obtain an A or B grade and prepared myself for SAT/ACT exam. I would have enrolled in sports, particularly basketball and joined other clubs, such as book club, christian club or have started one. I would have made as many friends as possible and probably remained friends until my married life. After doing all of the above, i've would gotten scholorships and have applied to Southern Unisverity in TN. There I would have been taking Nursing/Social Service and gotten my B.A. degree and most likely sought a position in TN. I consider myself to be a kind hearted individual and am genuinely concerned about people. I like Tenessee because the quality of life is better and its quieter and also it's great place to raise a family. I want to some day make a christian difference in this world. Finally, I would like to be remembered by the people that surrounded me, as a great person who always uplifted people with just a smile or a kind word.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would stress how important college is. I wish I had completed my education years ago when I did not have to work full time. Although age has given me wisdom and insight into the importance of education, I could have accomplished more. I would tell myself, its ok to take time off but then jump back in the game. With an education there is so much more oppertunity for growth in your professional and personal life. An education can put you in a rewarding career where you can make a difference and enjoy it at the smae time. College is not like highschool. In colege there is always a group or an area to belong. The diversity of acedemics and extra-curricular activies is astounding. College not only prepares you for the real world, it provides a community of support, interests new ideas that you have never thought of. Also, the friends you make in college are friends you will have for life. The bond you creat with them is very strong. I would tell myself, open new doors, take a risk, create great memories. Go to college!

Looking back now, I would tell myself to not allow fear to keep me from trying things even if I fail. There are so many opportunities when your at college and too often I allowed the fear of failure or what others would think or say about me, to rule my decision making. College is your chance to try things whether it be sports, clubs, organizations, leadership roles, and much more. You can even challenge yourself academically by learning a new language and studying abroad to really be engulfed in the language and learn the culture. Enjoy all the activities available and cherish all the memories you make with both friends and acquaintances. So often we think of failure as an end, but don't let it be an ending; learn from mistakes and failures by allowing them make you stronger and wiser. I learned so much and have so many great memories, but looking back there couldn've been so many more. It took the first couple of years to work through the fears; learning who I was, what I was about, and being confidend enough in who I am to be who I am without regret.