San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

I have gotten many things out of my college experience so far and I am only a freshman. The thing I'd like to focus on is that at Ashford University I feel like an adult. The feeling of responsibility and respect is the best feeling. My teachers in high school treated me like I didn't know anything. In college, I actually feel like an adult and that I have good ideas. This is very important to me because it makes me try harder because it affects my reputation as an adult and student. It has been very valuable to attend because this is the time that everyone will focus on in the rest of my life. Strangers will ask me where I attended school and what I majored in. Now that I have been realizing that I am an adult and will be respected along with my ideas, I try harder to act like an adult and take the responsibility given to me. This is extremely important fo rthe rest of my life because it will prepare me for the responsibility I must take on when I have a job and a home to take care of.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, knowing what I knw now, I would tell myself to work hard at what ever you do. If you don't do it to please anyone, do it to please yourself. Get good grades even if you have no desire to go to college right away because you will desire to go in a couple of years. There are scholarships available to help you to pay for your tuition but you have to have good grades in school to receive them. You are going to need them because your husband's illness will be unexpected. Your children are all going to be gifted and will desire to go to college. They will struggle with their father's illness so their grades will be up and down. They will need scholarships and grants. You will need to be knowlegable about what's available to you and your family. Your family is going to help alot of children with the work that you all are going to do. So work hard and pray hard. Your family is going to need you. Your community is going to need you.

Patty, you are worthy. You have your whole life ahead of you, and no, 24 is not old. You do not need to put so much effort and emphasis in being jealous of those other popular girls. Having a date, or a boyfriend for that matter, is not the end all of your high school years. Give yourself credit for the intelligent, pretty and empathetic person that you are. Look to the future! You know if you put your mind to it you can and will succeed at whatever it is you set your heart on. Believe me when I tell you that getting married and having babies is not a race. In your generation women will be pursuing careers and getting established, owning homes and then starting their families in their thirties and even forties. Advancements will be made in science and technology to allow child birth into the age of forty and people will be living far past their seventies! So slow down, take a breath, concentrate on your classes and focus on college and plan for a full and rewarding future.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college I would tell myself how important it is for me to go because without a higher education I wont be able to find a good career and and make a stable income in my future. I would tell myself to do research on the school and to not choose my school based on an impulsive decision.I would give myself the opportunity to acknowledge the priviledge I have that children in other countries dont, to better myself and my future. I would show myself the opportunities I could gain and financial aid I was eligible since my family wasn't supporting my decision to go to school. I would give myself the opportunity to realize that getting involed with activities in school can help better my chances of a scholarship and help pay for my tuition and books. I would remind myself that after all the physical and mental abuse I suffered as a child, that, that wasnt the end of my life and I have so much more to see and exerience when I go to college

Giving advice to my high school self would be this, go to college because you can do it. Everyone else’s negativity is what told you that you would not be able to do it, but you can; you can do anything you set your mind to. College life is so different than high school life. In college, you are an adult and are treated that way. You are allowed to make decisions for yourself without having to check with your parents. You decide what your future is going to be. As long as you work hard at what you are doing, you will succeed; you make that decision and no one else. Study hard but be involved with your school and if you can handle it, get a part time job to keep things enjoyable. This will make you a well-rounded person, but if you see things getting rough, then back off of the job and put your concentration on the job you are at school for, getting your education. Going to college will make you proud and happy and give you the confidence to know you can make it in this world.

My first advise to everyone is to not make the mistake not attending college right out of high school. The chance of ever going then is not very good. Next, I tell them to figure out what kind of education the student wants to recieve and where. I then let them know that there are an abundance of resources to finance the education along with scholarships. Also, never to worry about how much they might have in loans because it is truly and investment on the future, and they will make that back a million fold. The other comparison I make for them is that they might go finance a $50,000 car with zero return and not think twice. There are so many ways to make the most out of college and the experience. First and foremost is to make the grade. Secondly get involved in anyway that one can. The joys and learning of college really are outside of the classroom. You receive another form of eduaction there. Lastly, I have found your best lifelong friends come from college.

I have gotten different views of the world through learning many different topics from my college experience. I have also learned that people can make a difference in their community by going to college becuase they better educate which they then can go educate others. My parents never finished college and I have seen how important college really is; sure there are people who tel lyou that college isn't important but now, I don't believe them. College is one of the most important steps that a person can make because they learn more knowledge about the world as well as themselves. Attending college is very valuable because being able to learn new topics and seeing the world through different people's eyes, is always a pleasure. I would stay in school as long as I could because I just love to learn but finding a job and having money to live off of, is a little more important. I will always value my education in college and will continue to better myself so I can better others.

It's okay that you can't decide what to do yet. Don't worry about the pressure and demands to make a decision - you already know that anything you start right now, no matter how glorious, will lose its luster in short order. Rather than forcing yourself into a college path that may or may not lead to where you want to go, just relax. Take some time. You have amazing adventures ahead, and when you get through those, you'll be able to see your choices and options for the future so much more clearly. Yes, physics is so exciting right now, but next year, maybe it will be abstract math, and the year after that, it could be going back to writing fiction novels. The value of what you do is in every day, but when you're investing in your future, make sure that you are certain is the future you want. Trust me on this, the final answer will surprise you, and all the time in between waiting to find the right path will be totally worth it. That certainty will see you through.

Going on my third year of college, I learned alot academically and how college works finacially. If I can go back in time to my high school self, I would tell him alot on what to expect and what he should watch out for. The very first and main thing I would tell myself in his first year of college is to stay focus on my work because if he doesn't he will lose his scholarship and miss the first week of school when second semester starts and will be on academic probation. Then when second semester starts I will tell him not to get distracted because if he does his gpa will drop harshly and tell him that its not easy to bring it back up. Mainly just tell myself that take your freshmen year seriously because if he do that he won't have to go through what I went through his freshmen year and he won't be in finacial trouble like I am now. I would of told myself alot more stuff but those are the main things, and it all starts freshmen year because I did great my sophomore year.

Attending college has been a combination of pleasant, rare, fun, hard, sad, interesting and stressfull experience for me. I have learned to be alone, independent, have fun with friends, have fun alone, overcome and solve different situations on my own and with help. It has both positive and negative parts, but mostly positive since I learned to appreciate more, and that hard work really pays off. As an introvertive person, I have learned to open up and socialize because I had no choice. Growing up learning how to manage time and get ready for the "real life" has kicked butt until now but in a good way. I think is valuable to attend college because as hard as it may be, it will pay off little by little in small details you dont get to notice until some time has passed by, extending your knowledge and creating good friends and connections at the same time that will be helpfull in the future. Overall I am sincerely proud of the decition I made of coming to college.