San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to give up. Senior year is the ending of a rough 4 years but also a beginning to a new start. I would tell myself to focus on studies, to focus on my long term goals. I would tell myself not to worry about friends or the current parties or even that one boyfriend that you might think you're in love with. I havent been in highschool since 2006 but if I knew then what I know now I would have definitely did things differently. I would have told myself to go to college sooner and get a career rather than a "job". Advice can get you very far in life when given from the proper person who is wise and knowledgeable. So overall, assuming I can go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would tell myself to persue in everything possible that would get me to where I want to be in 5-10 years because thats when you're able to then build the rest of your life.

The sky is your limit. You don't necessarily have to know what you are going to college for. I believe you find yourself when you are out on your own and trying new things. Have an idea of what you like to do and understand your interests, and find the best college to fit those needs and wants. Make a list of what you would like to get out of your college experience and compare it to different college brochures and websites. Visit the schools, set up admission interviews, and go with your instinct. If you have a friend or acquaintence, set up a time you can visit with them and possibly stay the night; that way you get a real feel for the "college life" stay. Basically, you have to do your own research and not necessarily by hearsay. Ultimately, this is where you will be living, dining, socializing and most important getting an education. So, it is up to you to make the choice and take your time to do so. From someone who has been there, I wish you the best of luck!

If I could go back and give myself advice, it would be to not wait to finish my college education. The single biggest mistake I made was to drop out of college after one year and put off my return as an adult student. Another four years of college after high school seemed to be such a long time when I was eighteen; however as I have learned four years is nothing compared to the rest of your life. The idea of taking out student loans to fund my education was very intimidating back then as well, and I did not qualify for grants since my parents made too much money. Looking at the larger picture I can clearly see now as an adult that taking those loans out back then and finishing my education would have already paid for itself, and more than likely I would already have had those loans paid back in full. Hindsight really is 20/20. This is the advice I would give my eighteen year old self if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the first thing I would tell myself is to take education seriously. You need a college education in order to get a good paying job with benefits. You want a job you love and not one you dread going to everyday. You need to sit down and really think about what you want out of life. Don't think that you will find a husband that will take care of you. Things happen such as divorce and death and you need to be prepared even if your husband has a good paying job. When you go to college you will learn about yourself and who you are. Getting a college degree gives you a sense of accomplishment and boosts your self-esteem. If you plan to have children, you want to be a good role model for them and getting a college degree is one way to do that. Life is hard. Don't make it harder than it has to be by not preparing yourself by graduating college. Be strong! You can do anything you put your mind to!

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now about college life I would have stayed in college the first time I attended college. I am a first generation college student in my family, and all I have ever wanted was to purse my dream of graduating from college. I want to be able to provide for my family, and not live from pay check to pay check. College life is not bad at all. I have become a very well rounded individual since I got my first degree as a Medical Assistant. I am now on my way to getting my Bachlor's in Health Care Administration, and if I could go back in time I would have done all of this a long time ago. I would not have struggled as much as I did, and I would have been able to take care of my children a whole lot better. When I walk down that isle to receive my Bachlor's degree that will be one of the most profound days in my life. I will have worked hard to receive this diploma, and overcome many obsticles along the way to get there.

My high school self was very shy and had the belief she was not smart enough for college. She had a dream of becoming a preschool teacher but knew that would not happen because she was not going to college. After she graduated she began working with children as a babysitter and then a nanny. She then ran a daycare in her home. Years later she was blessed with a job at a childcare center as a lead teacher in the toddler room. By this time twenty years had past with no college degree, but she was teaching and had been teaching along. The window for growth without a degree was very small and she stilled dreamed of teaching preschool. At the age of forty three I now know I was wrong by believing I could not go to college and follow my dreams. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to follow her dreams now because not only is she able to attend college but she grows into an amzing teacher that touched many lives, and those lives touch her right back.

If I could go back and have a conversation with my high school self, I would render two pieces of advice. First, I would tell my younger self to find a mentor. Specifically, to seek out someone who I felt I could look up to, and could turn to during times of trial or difficulty. The reason for this suggestion is that for much of my formative life, and even now to some extent I have a difficult time finding people whose advice I feel I can rely on, and in turn I feel that this has been a significant obstacle in my development. Second, I would instruct my younger self to spend less time worrying about how we are perceived by others, and more time looking at what sort of person we want to be, and on understanding the reasons behind why we should want to be that sort of person. In essence, the advice would be to broaden our mind as much as possible and across the breadth of intelligences, not just the logical, which was and is my strongest nature.

I would tell myself that even though I think an education isn't important it is more important than I would or could ever know. Without an education I would be stuck in a laborous dead end job with limited ability to succeed. My rate of pay would remain at or below middle class for the rest of my life and I would be extremely unhappy with my job day in and day out till the day I retired. My going to college has changed my whole outlook on life and my future endeavors. Now the world is what I chose to make of it instead of what it choses to make of me. I now have the ability to succeed and I will be capable of being more than just a labor worker. I will be able to better other people's lives as well as my own. When I recieve my bachelors degree I will be respected for the things I know and capable of helping society instead of society having to have to always help me. I will be doing a job I want to do instead of doing what I have to do to survive.

If I were to go back in time and give myself advice, it would be simple and direct. You are ready for school right now as you are not disciplined or focused. You have not chosen a career carefully. In twenty years when you attempt to get a degree, you will be ready and the experience will be much different as technology and the theory of learning will have changed dramatically in your favor. Do not let your working class family and high school educators' lack of faith in you become baggage that you carry for the next two decades. The transition to online learning will be relatively simple for you as you will have literally spent years in the trenches of information technology. You will need to learn to take constructive criticism and not compare it to the negative criticism you grew up with in your family life. It will take discipline, perseverance, focus and determination to transition successfully. You will do it and I am proud of you.

If I could go back in time and speak with my high school self, I would tell myself to be open-minded to the instruction and communities around me. I would let my high school self know that I should not be deterred when obstacles might arise. Life is not always daisies and sunshine and it is okay to feel stressed, it is just part of growing up and learning. I would also tell myself that experience provides the best lesson in transitioning into the adult world. Take every moment for what it is worth, and focus on yourself and broadening your horizons. That would be the most sincere advice I would give. In these times of negativity I would remind my younger self to breathe, and take one day at a time. Make the best out of every situation, and push yourself to succeed. If I could go back and have a heartfelt conversation, at the end I would smile for my journey now is far more than I could ever have imagined when I was a high school senior.