San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

The choice to make for attending college is very important, there are many questions you should ask before making the final decision. In considering your field of study, make certain your choices of colleges offer what you are looking for. It is wise to talk to an Academic COunselor, with their knowledge and information, many of the questions you need aswered, will be. Check with the finacial aid office, there are some avenues they can pursue for you and others they will advise to you that you may be able to secure. Please consider your need of housing as well, many locations have housing on campus and suitable housing off campus. Please consider if you are in need of parking on or near campus, some require fees or permits to use these facilities. The decision you make i for your future, choosing the right one will help you attain your goal. To learn is progress, an education is valuable, together they are priceless to one's mind.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice on college life, I would tell myself to go with the degree which my gut told me to do since I was a little girl. I doubted myself and finished an Associates Degree in Accounting although since I can remember, I have wanted to be an elementary school teacher. I could have been done with my degree already if I did not take a detour. I would have also told myself to be prepared for juggling multiple things at once. I got married and am having my second daughter in a couple of months. College life is challenging, especially when you are trying to balance a family life, but I put my mind to it and I am getting it done. I would just reassure myself to put my priorities in order and finish what I have started. Lastly, I would just tell myself to never give up. Education is so important and I hope to be a great example to my daughters that you can do anything that you put your mind to.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition I would have joined the military sooner and I would have taken my courses at the community college a little more seriously. Because my grade point average was not so great in high school, the only college/university that would accept me was a community college. I did not have a plan as to what I would have liked to do once I got out of college, so because of this, I changed my major and stayed at the community college for six years. After graduating, I decided to join the military at a later time in my life. After going through this, I would have told myself to join the military sooner. The military has given me an opportunity to travel, broaden my mind, meet many people from different places. It has also given me an opportunity to go back to school for free so I can better myself.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time, there would be many things I would change. Ever since elementary school, I always maintained a great GPA. When I started high school as a freshmen, I was going through some difficult situations that caused my grades to drop. It was hard to focus and get back on track when I had so many things on my mind. If I could go back in time, I would prevent myself from receiving failing grades. I would also get involved in sports and other extracurricular activities. These activities really make a student stand out when applying for scholarships. Now I realize how expensive it has become just to attend junior college. I cannot receive financial aid and I do not qualify for a fee waiver. If only I had been an athlete, or better student I would've received a scholarship that would help pay for my education. My parents now have to pay school fees with their own money that they work so hard to get.

I am not the typical college student. I am now 33 years old and a mother to a wonderful 2 year old son. One of the main pieces of advice I would give myself is this: don't throw away your education. I had dreams and hopes just like almost every child out there. However, I let those dreams get pushed down until they were almost nothing. I am not sure if much would have changed if I had better applied myself and I am not sure that I would have wanted it to. I believe I am enrolled in school now because I will appreciate it. I am eager to learn not only for myself but for my son. I hope to give him the best role model and show him that education is important. I also hope to help him discover his dreams and achieve them. I think the biggest lesson here is to learn from my mistakes. I have my hopes and dreams back and they are in my son's eyes. I didn't utilize my full learning potential once and I refuse to do it again!

I am so glad that I decided to go to college for the first time in thirty years. In life we have so many other things that we put before ourselves. I keep putting off going back to school so, I said to myself Cynthia what do you really want to do with the rest of your life. As I said earlier I was so scared when I first decided to go back to school. I was honored and pleased to have a student advisor who was really willing to guide me through this process. My instructor's are great and so are my classmates , we can honestly tell each other how to keep going on and, to never give up. Life throws you so may curve balls and there is always something else to do instead of going back to school. I am so glad that I took the plunge and dived in. My major is Psychology and the class that I have had so far are really interesting to me. I want to be a counslor when I graduate and help young people who feel like they are all alone.

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior high school student I would encourage to not let up no matter what the cost. The temporary satisfaction verse the long term goal and achievement of not completing college and having to pick up again after many years is not worth it. My advice would be to endure the transition, stay connected with your classmates, guidance counselors and teachers. If necessary seek out tutorial assistance and maintain a balance of steady educational goals at the forefront of your moral compass. No mater what - don't give up or sell yourself short of completing your degree early in life. The more you learn, the more you earn in a society that demands the value of an education. Keep constant contact with your educational direction knowing that it is only a few short years to achieve greatness and success once you have completed the toal college life experience and degree.

My first attempt at college was 20 years ago. I was a smart girl from a very small town who didn't need to work too hard to get good grades. I came to college prepared to work harder than I had in high school and knew I would need several jobs to pay for school, but I had no idea what the social part of college could bring to my life. If I could go back and explain to myself how it was going to be, I would simply tell myself to study hard, work hard but also to enjoy the social aspects of college at the same time. My only goal at the time was to get an Associates Degree. Due to determination and extreme shyness, my experience was often lonely and frustrating, not exactly exciting and fulfilling. This time around I am working towards a Bachelor's Degree and have found the process so much more enjoyable with people to get to know, professors with a wealth of knowledge to share and of course, an attainable goal to reach.

I would tell myself that college is a time to follow your dreams and not to get discouraged by the obstacles of everyday life. I would also tell myself to take advantage of every financial and learning resource available becuase you never know what lies around the corner. There are hardships for everyone. If you just keep pushing on and hold your head up high, you can achieve all of your dreams and more. You will cry and you will hurt, but you must, above all else, remain persistent. There will be times that you will fail before you get it right. Always remember that failure does not mean that the dream you have chosen is not for you, it just means that you should take a step back, re-evaluate your current path, and search for a new direction. Life is ever changing and sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Always remain positive and tell yourself that failure is not and option, it is a state of mind.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school ,One of the first things I would say,You better on go now instead of waiting all the jobs in the furture are not what they are .Hamady Bros will be out and Kessels will sell out to Krogers.Fisher body will be torn down and all the shop jobs will bacilly dispear.Flint will be a town hit hard by recission and colleges will move in.You will get married and have 2 children no bigboy job Delta Tube job or In terior Automotive job.So Larry of 1982 look into the eye of Larry Kelley of 2010 >Going to college know will be the things you need.Study harder ask for help.If you dont belive im you here my driver lincences,the wright the number hasnt change and neither has your social security number. Rember this in the summer of 1982 Mike Rogers one of your class ates will not live thur the summer after the accident Larry rember my words go back to school.