San Diego, CA

Ashford University

« See more reviews of Ashford University

So far my experience going back to school after 8 years has been the most rewarding, more so than the time spent at a classroom during my college years. Having the opportunity to work from home at my own pace, has giving me the freedom to continue my life and lifestyle without major interruptions. Accomodating to my needs in order to fulfill my dreams and my academic goals present a great value in my life. It has re-vamped enthusiasm to not only complete my major, which is Child Development but also add a minor in Psychology, as well as, plant the idea to continue further and go after my Master's in Education. Attending school may have come once again as a way to bring a meaning to my life, who would have thought that all this time I was holding myself back, due to economic problems and personal issues. The beginning of my personal fulfillment as an individual has started again with my re-enrollment in school.

Do it. When you are young and have the energy, time, money and are not tied down with relationships and responsibilities- that is the BEST time to get an education. I was raised in an Amish community, so I was not permitted to go to high school/college as a teenager. After I was married, my husband and I left the Amish, and I got my GED so that I could pursue my life-long dream of going to college. But, it is so much harder now- times are hard, we have kids, we're living on my husband's paycheck, taking out student loans, and trying to juggle school with parenting. It's doable with some determination, but it's much harder. If I could go back in time, and have the opportunity to go to high school, and then straight to college, I would tell myself- "Do it! Dream big, fly high, and never miss an opportunity to chase your goals. There's always a tomorrow, but there's never a better today."

If I could go back into time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself to focus on my grades, stay involved in school activities, save extra money from my part-time job. I would go on different college tours to see what each college has to offer and to see how one different from the other. I would apply for every scholar that I can. I would have taken the SAT twice if I wasn't happy with the first scores that I received. I would get all of my Financial Aid and school information in before time and I would not have waited until the last minute. I would have also asked my counslor for more information about college. I learned that you pay for what you don't know. If I would have known then what I know now, I would not only be a proud parent of 4, but I would be a proud successful college grad and business owner with as few students loans to pay back as possible.

As a high school senior, I was at a very emotional, pivotal time in my life. I was a foster child, and although I had taken AP courses, taken the SATs, ACTs and AP tests in order to go straight to college, I couldnt bring myself to live with strangers any longer. I decided to get an apartment, and then had to take in my siblings as they aged out of the system in the next two consecutive years. I remember the turmoil I was feeling, the mixed emotions, and the sense of responsibility I felt to care for my siblings and put off my education for yet another year. I would have to say that if I had a chance to talk to myself as a senior, I would advise myself to start online school as soon as I could, instead of completely putting school off. I would also tell myself to be strong, because my journey has been a difficult one, and I could have used some advice and some love at that time.

I spent my senior year having a good time and not really worrying about how I am going to get ways to pay for college. I automatically assumed my mom had an account set up for me that would allow me to go to college without having to resort to scholarships. Unfortunately I did not have that luxury and by the time I realized I could get scholarships, half of them I could not qualify for because I had to be a high school senior. I would tell myself to really take the time and get as much information about scholarships that you can. College is soo expensive but necessary for a good career in life. If you take the time and submit to scholarships it will pay of in the end and I wouldn't have to worry about this expense that I am going to have to pay once I am out of college. If I knew then what I know now, I would be finished with school with little money owed to student loans.

Going back in time that would be a big benefit. I was a bit of a rebel, so i would have to tell myself to pay attention and don't be affraid to take advice. Try to experience as much as you can in the field you are planning to study for. Try not to space out highschool and college by 8 years. The partying you are doing isn't going to help you when it comes to being a role model for your children. Taking risks isn't always bad as long as they are calculated. You are not meant to work in a factory so stay on top of your game when it comes to your school career. You may not be a model student but when you see you children for te first time you know in your heart and soul, providing for them and showing them the way is a great reason to set your goals high and keep a level head. The road is going to be bumpy but remember the glory of being a father will will you through storm.

The advice that i would give them is that everyone get nervous about going to college and its okay to be. The should make college the way the wanted toand not the way people wanted them to. Experience what college really is and Define what you want to get out of college. My advice is define who you want to be and the person you wanted to be. Make new friends and dont be afraid to step out of your comfort zone because when you do you see the world a lot better. Dont let people bring you down and just be you because thats the best way. Always pay attention in class and just ask a lot of questions because professors love it when you ask question. Make friends that want the same thing out of life and dont judge people without getting to know them. I know sometimes people that been in college tell you that college is hard and it is but college is what you make it.

College is a wonderful and difficult time. You will need to push yourself harder to focus on the goals that you set, but they are worth every step. When you get that diploma, the stress, the papers, and the late nights will all be worth it. You need to remember your love for learning, because that will be an asset to you in this. Remember that you have to have some bad with the good; you have to take some classes that you feel are not important to get to the fun ones. Once you do get to the classes that you love, you will really love them. You will blossom as a student and your self-esteem will grow; you'll also get bragging rights when you score A after A every class - and it feels great! Good luck to you and never give up, there will be days that you want to, but remember your goal to become a teacher and to change lives; this will help to keep you focused.

If I could give any advice it would be research, research, research. You truly do not know what is going to be the best school for you until you get all the facts that you need in order to make the best decision. You cannot allow athletics and popularity be the only determining factor during your search. You must ensure that the educational environment will suit your learning styles in an effore to put you in the best position to be successful in completing your degree program. Once you are a student get involved! There are so many different types of people and cultures that you can only learn from their lives and experiences, whcih in turn will enhance your learning experience as an undergrad. Also, being involoved will allow you to have more than just academics to add to your resume when it is time to graduate and begin the job search. Good Luck!

You’re probably thinking to yourself that you’ve got it all worked out. You’re going to go to college and graduate. Well, you do end up going to college and you are making good grades, but sometimes life happens and you begin to wonder whether it’s all worth it. You get a taste for the money you’re making at a new job. You go out and party, spending the money you’ve earned from your wages. You wonder why need a college degree when you’re making more than minimum wage and with benefits. You decide to skip college and see how far you can go without a degree. Well, I hate to break it to you, but luck doesn’t last forever. Without a degree, you aren’t qualified for jobs that you know you can do because you’ve done them before. My advice: go to college and get your degree while you’re still young because you’re going to need it to get that foot in the door.