Ashland, OH
Ashland University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ashland University

cory

Ashland university is a college that has helped all students learn the trade that they want to achieve and the professors are focused on assisting the students with all the help that they need to recieve their degree. While attending the university the professors took persoanl interest in making sure I comprehend each topic in order to be successful in the future. Another thing thatI I like about this college is that it gives me the opportunity to express myself in a positive manner. Lastly, this university that helped me was it taught me how to focus on my studies.

One thing that i would have told myeslf in high school is that i need to focus more on my education and start focusing on the career path that i am interested in taking. Another thing that i would have told myself while in high school would have been that i need to stop goofing off in class and focus more on my assignments that need to be completed and study for the tests and exams that are coming up in the future.

One thing that i wish that i had known before coming to this school was how to use my time wisely and how to use calendar exercises effectively. Another thing i wish i had known was how to take notes on all the lectures and how to effectively study for tests. One final thing i wish i had known, was how to stop procrasinating while I have assignments that needed to be completed. Also the other thing that i wish that i had known was how to use microsoft word which I had to use to type all my assignments.

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school and give myself advice about college life and making the transition is that do not think college is stereotypical. I went to my senior year and the summer before college thinking that college would be like the movies; There would be parties every night, you would get a horrible roommate, people would be having sex all the time, and I would hate it there. With all these thoughts running through my head I was terrified to leave for school. I built college to be one big party, and I am not the parting type. The time came to leave and go to Ashland, the first couple of weeks, I kept to myself, went to class and came back to my room and shut my door. This got very lonely and boring. I finally started to get out and make friends. I wish I would have made friends earlier and not sheltered myself from everything because I was scared of all the stereotypes. None of these stereotypes were true; it took a couple of weeks but I love school now.

There are many great things at Ashland University; the best thing by far is the opportunities the Nursing program has to offer. Ashland University has just built a state of the art nursing facility off campus in Mansfield; the nursing campus as the best patient stimulators, and equipment. Also, while attending Ashland, I have the opportunity to preform my clinicals in the some of the best hospitals around. All the things that the Ashland University nursing program has to offer is the best thing the university has to offer.

When I decided to go to Ashland University there are many things I wish I knew before starting classes. During all my orientations I heard that you need to study about forty hours a week. In high school I had to study, but not nearly that much,I thought if I just studied like I did in high school I would get the same good grades. When I took my first anatomy test I found out that was not the case. I would have to apply myself and spend most of my down studying to get the grades.

Ashliegh

One of my favorite things about Ashland University is that the faculty and professors truly care about your well-being and future. They will help give you the resources you need to succeed. All of the class sizes are 15-20 people, which allows for a truly unique experience for each student as the professors put an "accent on the individual." The school is fairly small, with roughly 2500 undergrads. On campus, you have the opportunity to get involved in over 100 student organizations which range from community service groups, academic honoraries, Greek Life, intramural teams, and a variety of other activities. We also have one of hte best school cafeteria's in the nation.

What's the Greek scene like?

Greek Life makes up about 25% of the student population at Ashland University and it is definitely no the stereotypical Greek Life that you would see in movies or on TV. There are three fraternities - Phi Kappa Psi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, and Phi Delta Theta, as well as four sororities - Alpha Phi, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, and Alpha Delta Pi. Each of the Greek organizations focuses on their chapters philanthropies, sisterhood/brotherhood, scholarship, and leadership. Many of the student organizations outside of the Greek system are lead by Greeks. There are strict hazing rules and the Greeks support a friendly and positive environment that has no room for hazing.

Many students on campus are involved in more than one activity. A variety of my friends participate in the rugby team, quiddich team (you hear me right!), Greek Life, Campus Activities Board, Tech Crew, Orientation Team, academic honoraries, and various other activities. On campus, I am involved in Alpha Phi Sorority, Alpha Lambda Delta Academic Honorary, TV-2, 88.9 WRDL, The Collegian Newspaper, and Habitat For Humanity. I met most of my closest friends through Greek Life. Greek Life on AU's campus is unlike any other campus. The Greek's aren't your stereotypical partying, drinking, class-skipping students. The Greek Life men and women value scholarship, philanthropy, and brotherhood/sisterhood highly. About 20% of campus is Greek.

Many students are involved in AU's religious life. There are many different services throughout the week that students can attend and there are also religious life retreats and service projects for students to get involved in. Because the Ashbrook Program (political science and history majors) is such a huge academic program at AU, many students are politically aware and active and you will often overhear political discussions between students. In the dining hall, there are definitely clique tables. One one sided of the cafeteria is where you will find your student athletes. In the center is usually the theater and religious life students, near the back is where you will find the Greek Life students, and on the other side is the "free-for-all."

Every professor truly believes in the success and achievement of every student at Ashland University. Students typically enjoy participating in classes. As a Journalism and Digital Media major at AU, I have been able to gain valuable hands on experience for my future career as each of the classes focuses on your writing, editing, scripting, and camera techniques. Ashland is a liberal arts school and has a core curriculum of 54 credit hours that consist of humanities, sciences, social science, aesthetics, history, and English courses.

One of my favorite things about Ashland University is the diversity in its students, however we all have one thing in common, we are all generally nice people. Ashland, Ohio is known to be the "world headquarters of nice people." Legit? I think so. At Ashland University we have everything from your sorority women and fraternity men to your football, baseball, and track stars, to the valedictorian of your high school class. AU also has a large population of international students which allows for AU students to gain a global perspective.

Alexandra

Ashland's mission statement is "Accent on the Individual," meaning that they stress the importance of each student. Whether it is the small classes or dedicated teachers, each student is given the opportunity to feel important and needed on campus. It isn't hard for one to establish him/herself at this school because there are so many opportunities to both get involved and express themselves.

Although I established strong academic and personal skills before starting my undergraduate education, I probably would have pushed myself to build stronger time management skills. As a full-time college student, the pressure and work-load expected from a private university such as Ashland, or any university for that matter, can be an unexpected shock to a first-time college student. If I had learned the time management skills that I know now in high school, I would have been even more prepared throughout my first year of undergraduate studies, taking less stress off of me and those around me. These time-management skills would have also helped me to live healthier by taking the stress out of my life, giving me more time for a proper sleep schedule, exercise, and a healthy diet. Of all the lessons one can learn before entering college, time management must be the most important.

The only frustrating thing about the school is the inability to live off campus. Ashland is a residential school for all four years. However, the on-campus living requirement is designed to build community among the students and create a strong, united student body. While some may feel that this policy is restrictive, it is actually designed to assist students in establishing a strong network with other students and faculty members.

The advice I would give to prospective Ashland students is find an organization on campus you want to be a part of. Clubs and groups are a good place to meet people. You can make lifelong friends if you find people you have things in common with.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about making the transition to college I would tell myself to get involved. When I first got to college, I was lonely. I missed my close-knit group of friends back home. I started to feel at home when I became involved in the religious life organizations at my school. Becoming involved in on campus organizations at school can greatly impact your college experience. It will help you find a group of people who have similar interests and values to you. These are the people you will be able to create lifelong friendships with. They will be able to hold you accountable to your schoolwork, help you make important decisions, and help you through difficult times in your life.Overall, I believe the most important college advice I could give to myself would be get involved in something that is important to you. It can make the transition to college significantly easier.

The best part of Ashland University is the education department. Ashland has one of the best education programs in the state. There are many oppurtunites for students. Students get many diverse experiences that will be able to apply to their own classrooms. There are many opportuinties to student teach in unique places. Finally, schools are more likely to hire teachers with an Ashland University.

Tricia

If I could go back and talk to my high-school senior self, I would tell myself to consider my options very carefully. I didn't look around hard enough for a college. I only applied to Ashland University, and once I got accpeted, I never looked back. Now, a year later, I have completed one year of college, which is tremendous and fulfillling, but I am also transferring. I cannot guarantee that I would've changed my mind if I had looked around, but I just wish I would've given myself the chance. Another piece of advice that I would give myself is that, no matter what, chase your dreams. My ultimate dreams got put on the backburner for a while because I went for a career that has the possibility of being more lucrative, but something I've realized is that my dreams will always be there in the back of my mind. And I don't want it to be five years down the road and I'm regretting the choices that I've made. So I've learned to always go for my dreams because I will thank myself in the long run.

The best thing about Ashland University is that the classes are all pretty small in size (15-30 people) and therefore everyone gets a chance to become involved in class discussions. Also because of the small class sizes, the professors are more apt to treat everyone like an individual and give everyone the help and attention they deserve.

Clarissa

During my senior year I was very idealistic about college. I was recruited to play softball and I did not have to worry too much about how my college was going to be paid. I also had my parents to rely on to help with any additional expenses. My dad, in particular, did quite a bit to help me realize my dream of playing college sports. Little did I know I would suffer a career ending injury and return home. Without the financial help of the athletic scholarship I am now finding that paying for college is not as simple a possibility as it once was. The injury I sustained matured me in many respects. My priorities have changed so quickly and I realize how much I want a college education and the amount of work it will take to get it. I am determined and willing to do the work. I have gotten a part time job to help pay for expenses. My advice. Life is much more real than the insulated world of high school. Listen to the adults. Listen to your parents. Growing up does not have to be painful. I do not have all the answers.

Shelby

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college I would first of all tell myself to pick a college that makes me feel right at home. That is exactly how I feel at Ashland and I would not change my choice of college for anything. Second, I would tell myself to spend as much time with my family and friends as possible. Once I got to school, I missed all of them so much. I wish I would have done more with them during my last year in high school and during the summer. Finally, I would tell myself to not be afraid. I was so scared to leave the comfort of my home and my friends and family. I didn't know who my new friends were going to be and I wasn't even sure if I remembered how to make new friends! I was scared that I would get lost on campus and not understand my classes. As I got adjusted and used to campus life, I realized that I had be scared for no reason. So I would for sure tell my self not to be afraid and to stay strong.

I wish that I would have known how the registration process for classes worked before I came to this school. It is not a bad system but it is a little stressful for freshmen as we schedule very last. The enrollment into Ashland grows every year but the classes as still capped at a small number, which makes it harder to get the classes you want/need when you want/need them. Granted, this will get better as I get older but it was a very stressful experience and I wish I would have been aware of it.

Someone who is looking for a big, huge campus experience should not attend this school. Ashland's campus is pretty small as it takes about ten minutes to walk from one side to the other. If you like big lecture classes, this is not the school for you either. All of Ashland's classes have between ten and twenty five students in them.

Kara

Ashland University is very well-known for it's Education programs. All my life, I've heard that as a future teacher, schools will be looking for Ashland and Kent graduates, because of their great Education programs. Unfortunately, it is also well-known for it's high tuition costs.

Out of my college experience, I am learning how to be a better teacher, and I am meeting many great people. I am building new connections with teaching professors that will help me become what I need to be to be successful in the classroom. Ashland University has many kind, useful people that have been helping me through my financial struggles and any other issues. I am learning different teaching strategies that I would have never thought of before, and loving this campus more everyday!

I wish I would have known how hard it was to get scholarhips and loans. I love Ashland University, and I do not want to leave campus. However, if I can't find any extra money, I will be another person to leave the campus.

Ashland University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.