Ashland, OH
Ashland University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ashland University

Breana

Ashland Univeristy is a private school in a small town, but most people here are very friendly and helpful; the professors truly want to see their students succeed and the resources, and opportunities to do that are right at your fingertips.

Congratulations, Bre! I know you thought that high school would never be over, but you finally did it! You should be excited but not too excited because you still have to carefully decide on a college that will be right for you. I strongly suggest not choosing the very first school you visit just because the campus is pretty. Apply to many schools and really envision yourself living there for four years. Make sure you can have fun, but gain a valuable education at the same time. And don't forget to wait for the financial aid award letters before making the decision because you could get a full ride! Don't miss out on anything and pay attention to detail because this is one of the most important decisions of your life. It is vitally important not to procrastinate anymore. You will learn a lot about youself these next few years, so enjoy your time in college. Oh yea, one more thing; there IS homework in college, and you do NOT know everything. Again, congratulations and goodluck!

The most frustrating thing about my school is that going into Convo (a buffet-style cafeteria where everyone eats) makes me feel like I am still in high school. There are cliques, and the food sometimes gets old just like in a high school cafeteria. There are unwritten rules for where and where not to sit, and people make unnecessary commotion if someone accidently drops something. I know there are always going to be immature people no matter where you go, but it is frustrting dealing with it at every meal.

Krista

College is a time where students gain an abundance of independence. It is a time where family members are not going to make sure the homework is done, and each morning you are on time for classes. College is a time where students become more responsible, and have to make their own decisions. Students are faced with many more decisions in college, and students have to draw a line where there is a time to study and time to have fun. When making the transition from high school to college, it is totally all right to be nervous. Another aspect that helped make my transition to college easier was meeting my roommate during the summer before I attended college. This made the transition easier because I already had a friend on campus, and we consult each other if we have a problem. Another way to make new friends on campus is to leave the dorm room door open. By leaving the door open, people will stop in and say hi or even stay a while and just talk. Explore organizations that interest you, and do not be afraid to step out of the comfort zone.

The kind of person who should attend Ashland University is a person who is serious about their education. If a student is struggling with course work, the teachers and tutors are available to help and answer questions. Many scholarships are also awarded each year to hard working students. Students who want to get involved in school organizations should also attend Ashland University, because there is an organization for very type of student. There are many resources and opportunities available to students, and my school is a place where an individual can make a difference.

Ashland University is nationally ranked for their food service! The food is absolutely delicious! I eat healthier when I am at the university, then I did at home. Each week there is a menu so students can plan out their meals for the next week. There is also a nutrition analysis that is available online and students can monitor how many calories they consume each week, and other nutrition information.

Jaimie

HEY DUMBASS! stop trying to pursue a feild that you think "sounds cool" you're just going to quit for a full time job anyway. In 4 years you're going to realize you love helping people and have a soft spot for third world countries. Go! INTO! NURSING!!!! You're just going to hear about Doctors Without Borders, fall in love with what they do and end up broke and trying to go back to school so start now!!!! Make it easier on the future you aka me.

Crystal

As a freshman in college, the balance between study time and free time seems to be a pressing matter. I wish I would have known the secret of balancing these contrasting features before starting my first semester. Actually, I wish I would have known there would be an issue. Throughout high school, the line was clear between homework and relaxation. The majority of my homework was finished at school and my worries and cares were left in the classroom. However at college the classroom is just a ten minute walk and the work is endless. I think the secret to this precious balance is a sturdy schedule and scattered free time throughout the day to limit stress and pressure.

I wish I would have known the secret of balancing study time and free time before starting my first semester. Actually, I wish I would have known there would be an issue. Throughout high school, the line was clear between homework and relaxation. The majority of my homework was finished at school and my worries and cares were left in the classroom. However at college the classroom is just a ten minute walk and it the work is endless. I think the secret is a sturdy schedule and scattered free time throughout the day to limit stress and pressure.

Those who attend this school should be driven by great ambitions and seek a good education. This is not a campus to sleep through classes and slack off on homework and studying. The large cost of tuition should productively reel in those who seek a good education at whatever cost and therefore reduce the chance of failure among students. The slogan for this school is ?Accent on the Individual? which stands true due to the personal interactions with professors and the small professor to student ration in the classroom. The professors are really looking for success in their classroom.

Ricardo

If I went back and talked to myself, I would tell me to stick it out. Life is not always easy. Just because challenges are thown my way, I can beat them. It has taken almost 20 years, but I have two associates and am currently working on my Bachlers in Nursing, with the ultimate goal af obtaining a Masters. It would have been simpler when I was younger and not have the responsibilities I have now. I do not regret my current life, but it could have been easier if I would have JUST STUCK IT OUT.

Katy

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior I would tell myself to think only of what I wanted. Knowing what I know now I feel that only you yourself can make it work, you can't make your decision based off the idea that you know you have others that will be there with you. Unfortunately I had made that mistake when I gave up my number one choice for my boyfriend. I thought that I could make it through another school just because him and I were together, but I should have thought of myself and if I could first do it alone and if that would be true then all the support would just be an added bonus.

The worst thing about Ashland University, in my opinion, is that I was not able to commute for my first year. I had wanted to commute to decide if I would later like to live on campus but that thought was immediately shot down. It was said that I needed to apply to live off campus, but a very, very small percentage is able to actually live off campus. I feel that this may be a decision breaker for some prospective students.

The most frustrating thing about Ashland University is that the campus is spread out, making it a bit difficult when the weather is not the best.

Joey

I would tell myself to get involved in as much as possible. I would want to experience everything possible while in school and not pass up opportunities to grow as an individual. I would say that schoolwork is the most important aspect of college and to give everything i've got in regards to my schoolwork. I would mostly want to tell myself to never doubt, never questions, and never pass up any great chances that come my way.

Career driven, academically driven, athlete

Amy

Ashland is an expert at recruiting young/naive high-schoolers. They are deceitful, and can get their students through the door but just can't seem to keep em.

Visit a lot of colleges/universities. Look at schools you weren't originally considering--be open to possiblities (state vs. private, D3 vs. D1, in-state vs. out-of-state...). Don't let cost deter you from applying... but definitely consider it when you are choosing which school to actually attend. Also, be sure to consider near every aspect of the college experience prior to making a decision; such as student activites, study abroad, campus housing policies or residence life, greek affairs, is it a dry campus (?), religious affiliation (if any), campus dining, academic affairs (obviously), size (number of undergrad students or students residing on campus), local activities/jobs/places to go/things to do... you may not think this matters, they will significantly alter your college experience later on.

The faculty (at least in the biology & chemistry depts) are extremely personal and caring. They are excellent teachers/instructors/communicators, they are encouraging and push their students. they have also shown tremendous care for their students' personal wellbeing and academic achievement

Robert

Ashland University has a very good community around it and the people here are always so kind and accomodating. Also, Ashland is not an enormous school but not super small either, so it is about the perfect size for me! Finally, many of the buildings on campus are very new and well taken care of, and the food is very, very good!

Just find a place that matches your personality. I find it much easier to be around people that have similar interests and personalities as my own. You just have to find that place that works for you! Also, get involved on campus by doing a sport, getting a job on campus (which can also provide some needed funds for necessities), playing intramurals, or joining some kind of club or organization that appeals to you. Don't just do things because they'll look good on a resume. Do them for you! Make sure to keep focused on your schoolwork or you will fall behind, making your college experience much more stressful and less enjoyable. Other than that just have fun, enjoy everything college has to offer, and get good experience for your future out in the working world!

Some of Ashland's policies restrict living and the expression of its students, such as its policy on off-campus living and alcohol usage. In order to live off campus at Ashland you must be 22 years old, married, or have served in a branch of the military which makes it impossible for many students to ever live off-campus in more affordable housing. Also, Ashland is a dry campus for everyone, even if they are legally able to consume alcohol. And Ashland's tuition is quite high.

Most classmates are mature and respectful; generally everyone listens to one another's opinions.

Incoming freshmen need to recognize where they plan to be within the next five or so years. Do they see themselves still in school? Or out in the workforce? Knowing how much education they plan on getting and what their chosen career path is will help narrow down college choices immensely. For example, as an aspiring teacher, I knew choosing a university that specialized in education would be ideal. In order to fully grasp the "college experience" one must recognize that staying on campus for the weekends is a must. The campus usually comes to life when classes are over for the week, allowing the student to become more easily submerged in the experience. It is during the times when a student is not worrying over classes and other obligations that he or she will have the chance to explore new areas and develop friendships.

Classroom sizes can be as small as five people.

Ashland University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.