Worcester, MA
Assumption College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Assumption College

My classmates are friendly people that are sociable.

My classmates are friendly people that are sociable.

The most valuable advice I would give myself is to be accepting to everyone. It is easy at a small school to find a group of friends quickly as a freshman and stick with them. However, it is important to keep being open to meeting new people outside of your group of friends. I would also tell myself that although college is for gaining an education, it is okay to have some fun. Being completely academically focused will drive you crazy and you will look back and regret studying on a Friday night rather than socializing with the great people around you. Having good grades is important to a great future but so is being personable and networking. I would tell myself to start going to all events for my major and finding internships and contacts as soon as deciding a major because it will make the job search much easier in the future.

People who arent very out going and like to keep to themselves

Danielle

That school is now my job. I am paying all this money to go to school. I need to pay attention and do well in my first semester, or it might bring down your GPA for the rest of your undergraduate career. Don't let the transition get the best of your school work.

Someone that wants a large campus with huge class sizes.

Heidi

I would definitely tell myself to not be so nervous and overwhelmed because everything would turn out amazing. When I moved to school, I was so hesitant about the new environment I was in. I didn't know anyone and although I wasn't far from home, I was so afraid that I was going to be homesick. I had a lot of fears about how my classes would be, how my professors would be, if I would make friends, etc. But once I opened up and embraced the new chapter of my life that I was entering, I found out that it wasn't so scary. It was actually really amazing. I learned so many new things about myself and I met so many great people. I joined clubs. I developed strong bonds with my professors. I learned what I want to do with my life. I'm so glad that I learned to let go of all my fears, but if I could go back in time I would tell myself that there was absolutely nothing to worry about.

I really love that the class sizes are so small. When I was trying to decide where to go to college, I visited schools that had classes with thousands of kids in them. I realized that I wanted something different. At Assumption, the classes are so small and focused. Your voice is always heard during class discussions because people want to know what you have to offer. You get to know your professors really well, but more importantly, they get to know you. It's not a place where you're just a name.

Assumption has a real sense of community. I always brag to people that I can't walk to class or anywhere on campus without seeing a bunch of people that I know, and I love that. Everyone knows everyone and it's such an open, friendly and welcoming environment. It made it so easy to join clubs and groups as a freshman, because even though it was all new to me, I was always encouraged by the people around me to try new things.

A white rich preppy boy/girl from the burbs.

Pick a direction, any direction, and just jump- It doesn't matter if it is the path you are going to stay on for the rest of your life, or even the next 2 months, but whatever you do go into it with your all. You are capable of learning all the technical knowledge in the world about anything you choose to pursue, but in the end it will be YOUR drive that opens the doors. So jump high and aim far- and when you think you've reached the top, look again, because its only the start.

A white rich preppy boy/girl from the burbs.

I would make sure I learned good time management skills and carried those into college. I would give myself the advice not to procrastinate school work because then you are not performing to the best of your ability.

The worst thing about my school is probably the dorm furniture. It is impossible to move and doesn't have a lot of space.

The class sizes being small and how engaged the professors are. You can tell they care about their subject areas.

Jillian

I wish I had known that there are many more gen ed classes you have to take, such as two philosophy classes and theology classes, just because now as a junior I have no room to take classes that I am interested in taking for enjoyment. I know I do go to Catholic College and that those classes are required and I did know that, however I didn't realize that it was that inconvenient.

The campus police security because even though I love the feeling of knowing I am always safe, the police can be very suffocating. College kids need to make mistakes and learn from them, expecially with drug use. Since the Assumption campus police are so strict the kids rebel and create even more problems than there should be. College is the place that not only allows us to create a new path in our life but also enjoy our time with friends before we all enter the real workplace world.

richard

My classmates are determined, enthusiastic and fun to be with.

My classmates are determined, enthusiastic and fun to be with.

Assuming i could go back in time as a high school senior, i would have adviced myself to get into as many extra curricula activities as possible. I would have also encouraged myself to get more involve withe the community by way of community service and this would be just to get the most out of schorlaships but it also enlightens you to the outside world and helps in your personal development.

My classmates are eager to learn.

My classmates are eager to learn.

Knowing what I know now, I would go back and tell my high school self to be more outgoing. College has opened me up to many new situations and has allowed me to grow as a person. I wish I could go back and be more outgoing and less reserved. College has allowed me to be an individual and has allowed me to voice my opinions confidently.

The best thing I consider to be the best thing about Assumption College is the community. The community at Assumption is always extremely welcoming and open to meeting new people.

I absolutely love Assumption College! It was actually one of the very first colleges I looked at when I was a junior in high school, and I knew right away that this was a special school. Without realizing it, I had kept Assumption in the back of my mind as I was exploring other colleges. Needless to say, it had become my first-choice school. One of the reasons why I became so drawn to Assumption is because of its small-school environment. As of the fall 2010 semester, there were 2,018 students enrolled at this school, which means that the average number of students in each course is about twenty. This was extremely important to me because I work and perform better in small classrooms where the professors give individual attention to students if they need it. If you would rather be in a classroom not much bigger than the ones in your high school instead of large lecture halls, then Assumption would be a great option to keep in mind. Another reason why I am so passionate about this college is because of the reaction I receive when I tell others what school I go to. This reaction is usually something along the lines of, “Oh, Assumption is such a great school! I’ve heard so many wonderful things about it. You must be really enjoying yourself and learning so much up there.” Even when I was just applying to Assumption, I generally got this same response from whomever I told. To know that this school is so well-known and respected by such a large number of people was another deciding factor for me in choosing to attend Assumption. A third reason why I enjoy this college is because of the quality of the administration there. The professors are well-informed about their subjects, and they are always willing to answer any questions you might have. Assumption also has a Dean of Undergraduate Studies who is very helpful and gives great advice, as well as a wonderful president who really keeps the school on track and organized. The small-school environment, the reactions of other people to the college, and the quality administration are the three reasons why I am proud to call myself an Assumption student.

Honestly, there are so many clubs and activities at Assumption, and such a wide variety of them, that I do not think there is necessarily a most popular one. There are clubs for academics, the visual and performing arts, honors societies, media publications, politics and government, volunteering, athletics, and spirituality. As for myself, I am involved in numerous groups and activities on campus. I am on the Assumption College Dance Team, the student theatre club Merely Players, Assumption Disability Awareness Promotion Team (A.D.A.P.T.), and in the Honors Program. In the past, I have also been a part of the Latin Dance Club, Peers Advocating Wellness for Students (PAWS), and I was in last year’s spring musical Children of Eden. Besides all the different clubs that are offered at Assumption, there are numerous events and traditions that occur on campus. There are sporting events such as football and basketball games, Family Weekend, Siblings Weekend, the annual Spring Concert, the Winter and Spring Balls for juniors and seniors, and many Bingo nights throughout the year. There are also trips off campus, comedians and musicians that come to Assumption to display their talents, and showings of popular movies. If one weekend you do want to get off campus, there is a shuttle system called the WOO Bus that takes Assumption students, as well as students of other colleges in Worcester, to various places in and around the city. These places include Shrewsbury Street, which plays host to some of Worcester’s best restaurants and night life, The Shoppes at Blackstone Valley, and Solomon Pond Mall. As you can see, it is extremely difficult to be bored when you attend Assumption College.

The academics at Assumption are very strong. I am only a second semester sophomore, and I feel as if I have already learned so much from the different courses I have taken. As I mentioned before, Assumption is a school that is made up of small classes. Hence, each of the professors knows us students by name and on a personal level. I believe that this is a major advantage because it gives off the impression that the professors really take an interest in teaching the students. It also shows that the professors are willing to make sure that the students comprehend what is being taught. As a result of the professors and students being so close, class participation is very common in each and every one of the courses. In fact, in the classes I’ve taken at Assumption, a significant percentage of the final grade is dedicated solely to class participation. However, the amount that is required is extremely rewarding and worthwhile, as they cause interesting discussions to occur between the professor and the students. Sometimes, these discussions even continue outside the classroom amongst the students. Most importantly, though, is that education at Assumption is geared toward getting a job once you graduate. In these tough economic times, the professors and administration recognize that they need to produce members of society that are knowledgeable in their field as well as employable. A lot of Assumption’s students receive jobs upon finishing their studies. Because of this, it is easy to see that the academics at Assumption are extremely strong.

Allisyn

A unique feature about Assumption compared to other schools I considered is that Assumption has a much stronger sense of pride and school spirit. Since Assumption is a very small college it is generally a very welcoming and proud place. People are always seen in Assumption apparel, at sporting events, giving tours and recommending the school to others. From my experience, Assumption is a family like environment.

The advice I would give to myself if I could go back in time and address myself as a high school senior would be to not stress over small things. I am a typically anxious person and have a tendency to worry about every little detail, and prior to entering college, I had many sleepless nights worrying about what it would be like when I was away at school. Now that I have a little experience, I know that stressing about every detail is not a helpful practice. Putting pressure on yourself to be perfect can become extremely difficult and make you feel like you're going to "crack". I would tell my 17 year old self that I need to relax. Assumption is a place where I am comfortable and where I will have a good experience. Staying up all night nervous won't help me have a better college experience. Learning to let go is very important.

The most frustrating thing about Assumption is that at times it can be very small. While small class sizes are helpful, at times they can also make you feel like you are constantly "on the spot". In a social aspect, everyone seems to know eachother which can at times cause others to feel left out.

Assumption College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.