Worcester, MA
Assumption College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Assumption College

Anne

My school is best known as being a small Catholic College in Worcester. Among the several colleges in the surrounding area, there are many close by, Assumption is the school that has a little bit of everything. It is not considered the most competitive school to get into, the school with the strongest emphasis on science and technology, the most Catholic, or the biggest "party school." The great part is Assumption has a bit of each of these things which attracts a dynamic student body!

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college, the main piece of advice I would give myself is to be confident. As a freshman I doubted myself a lot. I did not think that I could be one of the “smart kids.” This belief and self doubt prevented me from seeking out some opportunities that I wish I had taken. For instance, I had the opportunity to enter the Honors Program but declined because I thought that I would not be able to handle the work load. I realize now that I missed a great opportunity. It certainly would have been an extra adjustment to college if I was a member of the honors program, but I believe that it would have been a great learning experience. I wish that I had a larger degree of self efficacy upon entering college and challenged myself by accepting the invitation to the honor program. I would tell my high school self not to put a limit on what I can achieve and to be confident in my abilities.

From the first time that I visited Assumption, I felt comfortable here. At first I was not sure exactly what about Assumption attracted me, but after attending for two years, I believe that it is the friendly atmosphere that was appealing. Everyone including other students, professors, buildings and grounds employees, librarians, campus police, residential life employees and cafeteria workers are friendly. People genuinely care about you at Assumption. Students are not simply numbers in a computer, they are individuals. Assumption is a good fit for people who care about being recognized as an individual in a friendly environment.

Myra

To never let anyone make you think something different. Your own thoughts is what counts and just give your self more time to over think. Your decison is never wrong.

How small it is and I wish there was a shuttle bus that would take us to places each day like to the mall.

Dakota

Dakota, before you start college, apply for as many scholarships as you can, and most importantly make sure you apply for financial aide. When you start school, make sure you try to make as many friends as possible and join a club or two, this way you can ensure a support system and have help before you even need it. These are just a couple tips you should know about college life and making the transition.

professors are really interested in their students

professors are really interested in their students

Nicole, pay attention! You've never had to pay for your education however coming fall every decision you make is going to cost you money! If you decided you're too tired for homework that's money coming from your pocket. You may not think that learning algebra is going to help your future, but it will make your college life easier. Keep your head in the game! Listen to the words you teacher's are telling you, they mean something. They will help you next year. Do your homework...everyday! It's called discipline and you will need it next year. Don't let your occasional laziness keep you down. Your capable of so much if you merely believe in yourself.

I would definitely tell myself to be more confident in who I am. I can be very nervous when meeting new people and I am constantly afraid that they will not accept me for who I am. During my first year, I soon realized that if I just be myself I will find the people that are worth becoming friends with because they will be the ones who I can be myself around. I also would tell myself that I should never try to be someone that I am not. Even if it is just the little characteristics about myself that I change, I am not being trut to myself. Luckily, my roommate and I were a perfect match and this helped me to realize how silly it is to be embarrassed about who you are. I can't change who I am and in order to succeed in life I need to accept myself for all my assets and my faults. No one is perfect and by accepting this fact and knowing who I am, I was able to learn where my time and energy was best spent to improve my social and academic skills.

The worst thing about my school is that it is so focused on sports (basketball and football). I mean, we might not even have a musical production this year and if that happens I am going to be completely crushed.

If you do not like the country I wouldn't. You also have to be an outgoing kind of person in order to make sure you meet a lot of different people, but that doesn't mean that you can't find great friends if you are on the shy side.

Kate

Assumption College is best known for its sense of community and liberal arts education. There is a lot on campus to be involved in and all the students have a sense of Hound pride that keeps you coming back years after you graduate. The education you recieve and the people you meet along the way at Assumption stays with you forever.

When you're in a classroom as Assumption you feel unified with your classmates, everyone is determined and focused on learning and interpreting new things and eager to help one another to reach the common goal of continuing to excel in their field of study.

Just breathe, rest well, excercise daily and never ever feel like the end of something is enough. Continue to push youself to reach new heights every day. There is so much to be learned and so much to experience, never stop moving. Learn to say yes to things you wouldn't typically say yes to, but know when to say no and trust your gut. Keep your head up, your eyes open, and your mind free to embrace the unexpected because you never know what it might lead to. The future holds amazing opportunities that are all paving the path that defies your existence. Make it special, make it great, make it you.

Andrea

I love the small class sizes and how the teacher gets to know each student and they are not a number.

I would tell myself to follow my heart and pick the school that I feel at home. Which ever school feels like somewhere i would want to be for my next 4 years.

There is not anything I wish i knew before I went to the school.

Jordan

Embrace the Unexpected College is a time meant for establishing values and laying the foundation for a better life. Would it not be better if it was my own life instead of somebody else’s? While advice from friends and family is helpful in navigating the murky waters that are collegiate life, it should not be taken as literal instructions in how to attend college. Marching to a campus with misconceptions based on opinions from those who have sailed through college before will only result in catastrophe. The student’s plans will crumble into ruins, leaving him brokenhearted and disheveled. Moreover, remaining uptight would not allow for any growth. Instead an outline should be designed so that maximum flexibility can be obtained. Unexpected events are the blessings of college. Decisions made on a whim can result in wondrous opportunities (However, they can also devastate lives so be careful). That is why one must look at college as if it was a block of clay. Once a shape has been molded, it can always be adjusted to meet newly discovered needs. I am hoping that once my time at Assumption expires I will have sculpted a "Jordan" instead of a "David."

A liberal person who is looking to expand his/her horizons. There are all kinds of groups of people based on the high school stereotypes so everybody can find their own niche. Students who are looking for challenging but manageable school work would also love Assumption. The professors are very helpful, and there are plenty of opportunities to learn outside of the classroom. Assumption is the perfect school for the student who is looking to become a better, overall person.

Tina

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself in many ways. First I would mainly tell myself to focus on my gpa . If I had known my gpa was so improtant back then I wouldn't of paid so much attention on my social life. Secondly is to take more college credits courses. When I was in high school I took so much time taking pharmacy technician dual enrollment courses . Which took time away from my other courses. If I had known that college consume a lot of time , I would of taken the college credits in high school. Lastly I would tell myself to pick a very good college . thank you so much for a chance to win this scholarship.

Assumption College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.