Worcester, MA
Assumption College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Assumption College

Kerry

It is a welcoming but small community based school.

It is a welcoming but small community based school.

Many students appear to look and dress similarly, people are generally from New England.

In high school, I did not challenge myself enough. I was an above average student but did not work to my potential. It became a pattern that I just cruised through high school with little effort and came into college with the same mentality. It is important to apply yourself to the best of your ability because the type of student you are in high school tends to become habitual and can carry over to college. For me, college presented me with a challenge because the classes were more vigorous in work load and speed. The first semester of college I did not achieve the A's and B's that I easily received in high school. College is a big change, socially and academically. It is important to know that it is hard work and that it is better to try your hardest at all times than to learn the hard way!

lyndsay

If I could give myseld one piece of advice it would be to not worry about what others think about you and worry about yourself and being successful. Coming from a college prep school the transition into college was easy class wise but the social scene was hard. I worried too much about fitting in and lost focus on my school work. If I could go back a year, I would tell myself that being yourself is what will help you fit in. I would let myself know that focusing on school is more important than trying to find a group to hang out with. If you need to change youself to fit in then they are not worth your time.

I wish I knew more about the psychology program and the teachers who teach it.

The worst thing about school for me is that it is so close to my high school and home. Also because it is in a residential area there is not much to do as a freshman without a car.

I would tell myself that everything will work out for the best and to not stress about things so much. This seems very difficult to do, but the stress just makes things worse. To keep organized, especially when balancing schoolwork, athletics, friends, and relaxation make a chart that identifies your time devoted to schoolwork and athletics. Those are most important and everything else needs to be scheduled in around that. Rest is very important too. Your friends will understand that you're busy so do not feel like you are letting them down if you cancel plans to get more sleep. However, do not reschedule all the time. They are the people that will stick by you through everything, so you want to be able to build and maintain a few strong friendships. Do not be afraid to date in college, whether it be from a pre-college relationship or one that occurs once attending. Just be yourself and do what you feel is right, and everything will fall into place as it should.

The best thing about this school is how inviting everyone on the campus is. Students are very nice and helpful and I feel comfortable going up to anyone to ask for help. It is a small campus so you get to know a lot of people really well. The professors want what is best for you and will do everything they can to help you achieve your goals. The staff is very helpful and accomdating and have never had an issue when requesting information from any department.

I wish I knew how comfortable I would have felt. As every incoming freshman experiences, I was nervous about making connections with other students and professors. I felt as though I had to try to impress others when I really just needed to be myself and let connections form on their own. Other incoming freshman should do the same and not worry about not forming connectiosn and friendships. It's going to happen - in schools of all size.

Assumption College is a life changing experience that one would not regret.

Assumption College is a life changing experience that one would not regret.

My high school itself provided me with excellent advice before going to college. I was warned with this amount of work I would be getting and how hard I would have to work to be successful. What I wasn't warned with was how to balance schoolwork with a social life. Although schoolwork is the most important, having friends and being involved with school activities is just as important. What advice I would give myself would be to join clubs and participate in activities as a freshman. At the end of my freshman year, I joined the Student Government Association and met amazing people whom I never thought I would become so close with. I was still able to study hard and not fall behind in my work. I do wish that I knew more about this club going into college. What I learned was to not be afraid to try new things.

When I tell my friends about my school, I tell them that I made the best decision of my life. I tell them that I have met the greatest friends and that I couldn't have made better choice. I tell them that my professors are fantastic and do anything in their power to help you succeed. I tell them that I could go on for days how amazing Assumption College is.

Tara

My classmates are extremely respectful to my teachers and to myself, they are smart and are always there for me if I am ever struggling in class or need help on a homework assignment.

The advice I would give myself would basically only involve myself as a junior in high school, going into senior year. Although I was extremely on top of looking into colleges and really making sure I chose the right one and the right major, some how I think I could have done a little better of a job. I am extremely happy with the decision I ended up making, but I think I just lucked out with how much I fell in love with the school. If I could go back, I would tell myself to think about the type of school I want to go to. Assumption College being a Catholic school, there are multiple Theology and Phillosophy classes I must take in order to graduate, and these classes are not easy and have nothing to do with my major. Looking back, I probably would not have chose a Catholic school. Also, I love sports so it would have been cool to go to a Division I school for sports.

There are a number of amazing things about my school. My school has an awesome reputation, so I know I will have no problem getting hired for a job later in life. The teaching staff at my school is fanominal. I have learned so much only in my first year of school. The teachers are so helpful outside of the classroom. I can go to their office hours any time and they are always more then willing to help me out. Last, I feel incredibly safe of my campus, which is extremely important to me living on my own.

Assumption College is a school that is wonderful to attend, and has wonderful people in its campus.

My school is unique due to it's family like atomosphere. It makes me feel at home and made the transition easier. I have also been able to get a new form of learning. With it's average size it's easier to have one on one talks with professors. I feel that I am able to better myself at Assumption and that I feel comfortable.

The advice I would give myself is to calm down. You'll make friends and will have great classes. The classes are nice and the professors are considerate to college students. Living on the campus isn't hard either, the food will be different but you'll still be able to feel a home like atomosphere. So no worries, you made a really good choice of schools. You make wonderful friends, and meet a lot of special people. You also will have many new adventures ahead of you.

Olivia

The number one piece of advice that I would give to myself is to simply have a calm and open mind. I would explain how the first year of college can appear as one overwhelming mess between the amount of school work, living in a dorm, meeting new people, and being involved on campus. It's natural to be nervous and excitied about your first year in college, but it's important to figure out how to apply such nerves and excitement, for example, figuring out what causes each emotion. I was nervous about being able to handle my workload, and during my freshman year, I should have taken the opportunity to visit the academic center and my professors' office hours more often. I would have been a lot less stressed! I would also tell myself to be open to the numerous opportunities that college provides. I would recommend attending club fairs and events advertised on campus. I would remind myself that I don't have to commit to any club right away, but attend meetings for each one I'm interested in and make a decision from there. Be excited to take new chances!

I would have to say the costs of my school. Unfortunately, tuition has increased each year. I personally believe the school charges too much for housing, especially since some of these upper classmen apartments are old & in need of repairs. Assumption offers different meal plans, but even the cheapest plan (which is still a little pricey) ends up providing much more meals than a student can handle. I personally had this meal plan last year and found myself at the end of the year with $43 worth of food left (they don't transfer to next year).

A person who is looking to attend Assumption College has to be both eager & motivated. The workload is big, and students are challenged with daily assignments. The material is not easy, but a student who is willing to work hard & communicate with professors and fellow students will find this work manageable. This person should not only be social within the classroom but outside of the classroom as well. Assumption is a small campus, but a variety of clubs & activities are available in which students are encouraged to join/attend. Being involved on campus definitely improves your college experience!

Tatieli

As a student at Assumption College, I have learned and suffered the hardships of college life. There are many instances where I wished to change my decisions, yet there is only one advice left to give. If I could have a discussion with my High school self, I would emphacize the importance of taking more advantage of the opportunities and resources provided by the shool. Much like many students, I valued my social life sometimes more than I should have. If I could give one piece of advice it would be to buckle up and give it my best, instead of focusing on becoming a social butterfly. School should always come first as one's innermost key to a successful future. I believe it is not who you know that matters, but the knowledge gained in one's journey. In this world, no one can take away someone's knowledge, however; materialistic objects can be lost. My past self should focus on being the best she could be and not worrying about the pressures of college life. Success is often achieved by those who opt to take the road less traveled towards a bright future, not the easy way out.

I believe that someone who wants to just "get-by" in college should not attend Assumption. Someone who isn't open-minded or doesnt like new england weather.

It is small enough to know almost everyone, to get to know the professors one on one and to get a tutor to help you out. The location is great it is surrounded by beatiful houses and the best part of Worcester. Assumption is impecable and always has beautiful gardens so eventhough it is a school there is still wildlife. Wild turkeys often visit the driveways and there are secluded wooded areas. The gate keepers are also an added sense of security. The school is great academically as well as socially. No fraternity or hazing. Great school!

Colleen

I would tell myself dont be so nervous and be extremely outgoing. Make friends with everybody and take all the opportunites that come your way. Dont be shy or scared just get out there. Also I would tell myself to get as much information as possible for following your major. Dont wait around for somebody to tell you what you need becuase at that point its too late. Find out everything you need to know and get things done early.

My school is small enough that you are not just a person. Professors care about each and every student. There are so many ways to get help if you seek it.

I truely believe any type of student could fit in at this school. But it should be somebody deticated who does not just want to goof off and has a future goal they are trying to reach.

Assumption College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.