Assumption College

« See more reviews of Assumption College

Dear High School Me, Making the transition to college is life changing. You are essentially dropped off by your parents, told to do well in school, meet friends, stay focused in class, do well in track but mostly enjoy yourself. You have to learn how to juggle everything, something that high school made look easy. Advice #1: make a calendar, lists, whatever it takes for you to plan and organize everything you have/want to do. It's very easy to forget things, make new plans, or simply forget your priorities. Advice #2: do not be afraid to open up to people; those girls who are across the hall, in the gym, passing by on the way to class, could become some of you best friends. I realized you cannot make it through life without a support system, and you always need people who care about you. Advice #3: "you are there to go to school" as mom and dad would say. So don't skip class, and get your work done early so you have time to accomplish everything else. College an amazing, thrilling time of your life, don't make it more stressfull than it has to be!

Dear Kayleigh, This is it. Time to let go of what this small town has made you. This is time for you to shine and find your true self. I know it sounds nerve racking, and trust me it is, but in good time you will realize that this is the life changing expierience you needed. If you want to succeed in college, you must follow my 3 rules of college survival. First rule: STUDY! STUDY! STUDY! Being a double major and a minor entails that you will have a huge course load on your plate. Buckle down and be organized. It may seem tough, but it is managable. Second rule: don't be afraid to ask for help. Your friends, tutors, and professors are more than happy to assist you. Sometimes you have to realize you need to ask for help to be successful in life. Third (and the most important) rule: don't take your life so seriously. Let go of the stress of your week by doing ridiculous shenanigans with your roommates. Show everyone who you really are inside. Become the person you want to be. Follow these rules, and i promise you will succeed at college.

I would suggest to never be afraid of planning ahead. If you have a goal or dream, pursue it even if the road appears difficult and there is not unanimous support. In the end your choice will be rewarding and you can look back and be proud of what you accomplished. I thought I wanted to go to a school far away from home, but it turns out being closer may actually be better. I was able to get a job at school during the semester and continue to work over winter and summer break by commuting, whereas finding work may have been more complicated if I had gone to school far away. I would also suggest to never be afraid of talking to your professors if you are struggling. You are paying them to give you an education, but also building a relationship with them can only help you especially if you want to have an internship or need recommendations in the future. School goes by fast so keep priorities and values straight because your education will be with you the rest of your life and sometimes missing out on ?fun? will be worth it later in life.

There's a lot of advice I would give to myself if I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school. First and foremost, I would tell myself to not let anything influence my decisions of where to attend college. I spent my freshman year of college at a public, commuter school primarily to be close to my boyfriend at the time, which was okay at the time, but it deprived me of so many wonderful opportunities I would have been able to experience such as meeting more people, making more friends, and joining more clubs, etc. The second piece of advice I would give myself would be to research school options more thouroughly and extensively. I only chose to apply to three schools, got put on a wait list for one, didn't get accepted to the other, and got accepted to the last. This really limited my options obviously for getting into school and I wish it hadn't. Now I have transferred to Assumption College and I absolutely love it. It's where I was always meant to be and I couldn't be happier. Just follow your heart.

So you are about to embark on your next journey, you will love your classes and you will do well. You are smart so don?t doubt yourself. You will meet boys and you will fall for them, that is okay. Let yourself get wrapped up in it all, these are your best days and I promise you, you will not regret any of it. You have an overactive mind and this may be your worst enemy. You will target these attributes in a specific way and it will change your life. This new responsibility will help you meet amazing people. Hold converstations with anyone and everyone; you never know who will add a little something extra to your life. This includes your freshman class. Many of them will transfer or will be busy doing their own thing. Go out every weekend with these people and get rowdy with them. Come junior year second semester you will look at the freshmen and wonder if you had as much fun as they are having. There will be days where you will forget to smile; your room mates will be there to remind you how good life really is.

Reallly learn the lesson being taught. I learned a lot of things in college that I learned in high school. In HS, really understand and learn the material, do not just memorize something to get the grade, but memorize it to memory and not just for the test. In HS you can get away with just memorizing, but in college, you need to fully understand the material to pass the course. College prepares you for a career; you need to remember what you learned in college. I would also tell them to be open to different clubs. If you are interested in something, do not hesitate to join and get involved with it. It will probably something you truly enjoy. Give your new roommate/roommates a chance.; if you do not like them, try to get to know them first instead of assuming you will not get along. College is all about being able to connect with different people from different backgrounds. College is amazing and truly some of the best, life-changing years of your life. Enjoy it because the time will not last forever, but the memories will.

The first thing I would tell myself is to keep my mind open as to different schools and not think only certain schools are the perfect choice. In my case, I did not really want to attend Assumption College as I had attended Catholic schools my whole life. I admit the first year was a big adjustment as I think it would be at any college but after that year, I really felt at home at Assumption and regretted my hesitancy to attend this college. I also would have advised myself to get more involved immediately. I found that by getting involved it is easier to make the transition from high school as you get to meet more people and really feel a part of campus life. I waited sometime before getting involved and I regret that. Most of all, however, I learned to study differently than I did in high school which made all the difference in the world to me. I became more responsible and as a result a more successful student. Finally, make all the friends you can because that just makes life on campus a pleasant experience.

College is a huge transition from high school: more responsibility, more free-time, doing your own laundry! But it is also a very exciting time; a time when you get to discover who you really are and begin to sculpt what you want out of your life. This may seem like a cliche answer, but I really do think it is so important to get involved and try knew things, and know that it is ok to not know exactly what you want--after all, this is what college is for. Take an assortment of classes and try a new club or sport, for you may find out something about yourself you never knew. I think one of the most difficult parts of college is balancing your social life with your academic life. I found my freshman year that it is very easy to get caught up in the social scene. While it is good to have fun, make sure you choose friends who will support you and have the same morals as you. If you have friends who are driven, you will be driven--keep your eye on the prize and remember that with hard work, anything is possible.

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to be careful who I trust.There are so many peope to meet and so many new friends to make. You will want to make friends with everyone, but be careful. You need to be more aware and notice people who talk about themselves constantly. They will not make you happy and drive you crazy. Surround yourself with people who are genuine and care. Also know to leave a relationship if you guys fight all the time. Relationships are supposed to make you happy and if they dont, lose the guy. Also, do not focus on what other people think, only yourself. That is what will make you happy. I would tell myself to focus on myself and not just on making friends. Feeling insecure about friends is easy, but if they are not there for you, they are not true friends. Focus on your school work, that is why you are at school after all. Keep the prize in mind and know that nobody else will get that god GPA for you. You are responsible and make good decisions. Continue to do that for yourself.

I would tell myself that high school isn't everything. When you are in high school you think it is your world; every drama is a defining situation that builds who you are and how people perceive you. I would like to advise myself that that is far from the truth. College is where you truly find yourself and you get to start over. This is especially important for all those who get bullied to hear because there is bigger and better things outside of high school. I would also tell myself to not take life so seriously. Yes, it is good to try your hardest in high school, but being involved is equally as important as grades. I wish that I had tried harder in sports so that I could have played in college and build those team bonding relationships that I see alot of my current classmates enjoying. There are always new chapters in life and college is one of them. It is not as scary as some portray, but is filled with freedom, hard life lessons, life-long friendships, and a curriculum you can both appreciate and enjoy.