Assumption College Top Questions

Manuel

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would definitely emphasize the importance of studying everyday and keeping up with schoolwork. As a high school student I did not create a daily study habit, but rather studied the day it was necessary. Being in college now and seeing how demanding all the classes are, it would have helped me a lot if I had created a daily study habit of going over my notes and reviewing what was done in class. This has been the hardest challenge for me as a college studnet and it is definitely something that affected me when I got to the school.

I would say to get out there and have fun, be yourself, and just talk to people. Education does come first and to take it way more seriously than high school. Professors don't care about where you're from or who you talk to, just how you perform in class. Show everyone that you are a mature adult, don't slack off, and just keep your head up. Know that everything will fall into place and be okay.

Rachael

If I could go back in time and give high school self advise, I would tell myself to expand my horizons. Yes, staying close to family and friends is a comfort but that limited my list of colleges down to very expensive New England colleges. If I had expanded my horizons as a senior in high school and looked into schools farther down south, I could have found just as nice, if not nicer institutions with much more affordable costs. Making the trasnsition from living at home with your family to being at college and living on your own is hard. By choosing a college you absolutely love, that trasnsition will not be as difficult.

Heather

I would tell myself to take a deep breath and to not worry about who you will be rooming with, what teacers you'll have, or the price. I would tell myself that it would be ok if your roommate is not your best friend because there will be so many people and clubs out there that will broaden your social world more so than you could have imagined. I would tell her that the teachers are tough and the A's are hard to get but if you work hard, participate in class, and study a lot then you will be fine and it will be ok if you get a B in a class because the subjects are difficult and that B will still allow you to stay in the honors program and you will not lose your scholarship over it. As for the financial part, I would tell her that yes it is stressful but the Financial Aid Office is there to help you understand your bill and ways to pay. The will give you information on more scholarships if you ask and help you find ways to pay for your education. It will be ok.

Carleigh

If I could go back in time, there is a lot of advice I would give myself. The most important advice I would give myself however is to be extremely open minded going into college. I would tell myself to be open to meeting all kinds of people, and to be open to exploring things I wouldn't necessarily think I was interested in. I would tell myself that college is a place for descovering yourself and your passions in life so if you go in and just stick to the things you know and stay in your cofort zone, you are not going to get the best experience. College is not about being comfortable. It is about taking risks and finding who you really are.

Brigitta

Looking back, I would tell myself not to stress as much going into college. As a senior, I was a 3.8 student and I often worried about keeping my grades up and balancing a social life. After my first year of college, I realized that finding that balance is a lot easier than I expected and there was no need for the type of stress and anxiety I put myself through. Although I thought that high school did not prepare me for the transition, I realized that coming from a large high school to a small college did indeed help me transition and help me in branching out socially and academically. If I had stressed less, I may have enjoyed my senior year more than I had and become more conscious of family and friends that I would soon leave.

aryana

If I could talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to stay focus on my school work and that fun and games can happen whenever and grades are actually really important. Having a good GPA is beneficial in so many ways and it should be my goal to maintain a good one. I would also tell myself to lower my pride and ask for help when it is needed, academic tutoring is actually really helpful and I would advise myself to go to a tutor when I am struggling. I would tell myself that transitioning takes work and a strong mindset. I would also tell myself to become involved in as much as possible but focus on your school work first!

Andrea

Dear High School Self, Do not assume that you can get away with doing an assignment last minute, because really, your professor will not. High school work is not equivalent to college work- especially when it comes to reading and writing papers. Cramming is not a success. Professors WILL call on you- hiding will not help. Enjoy the security of highschool while you can! However, don't be afraid of college and being a busy bee to find what you love. The cliche's are true- it is a time to find yourself!

Ann Marie

Making the transition into college life is not going to be scary. It's going to be a gradual realization that you are your own boss now, and that you have the ability to do anything. You can do your schoolwork on time and get stellar grades; or, you can allow yourself to fall into a rut of late assignments and late nights. Don't assume that because you have this freedom, you don't have to work hard anymore. The only difference is that now it's your own responsibility to motivate yourself. What inspires you? Keep it in mind because you may lose it along the way. Never be afraid to be yourself; if the people you surround yourself with don't appreciate the real you then you have the wrong set of friends. Being around people you connect with, and having relationships that thrive off of mutual support, are the two most important things you can do in college. If you have these connections, motivating yourself to be a better you will come more naturally. You have the power to succeed- every tool you need is inside of you. You're smart and capable, never forget that.

Haley

Love yourself. When you love yourself, you can handle whatever life hands you. College is a time of discovery, and loving yourself only fosters this. Do what you need to keep confidence in yourself and your abilities, it allows you to step outside of your comfort zone and find adventure. It may be easier said than done, but if you put your time and effort into loving yourself, nothing will keep you down. Eat the extra slice, give someone your number, and dance when you have no rhythm. Love yourself no matter what, and find adventure in what you do.

Jakob

First, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships and work harder in tennis so I can recieve more financial aid. Once I chose the college I found that would fit for me; I would work harder on getting to know more people and be more outgoing which would have helped me more to get an RA position for this coming year. Last, I would tell myself to work harder in my classes especially sciences, because with already having a "B" average in lab sciences, it is decreasing my chances to get into the optometry school.

Jakob

The advice I would give to myself as a senior back in high school would be to take more languages and math courses so it would not be such a struggle for NCAA Eligibility Center to approve my course selection; you now need 14 credits that are not only college prepatory, but also fall into only five categories: English, Science, Math, Social Sciences, and Languages. I took four years of science, English, and Social Sciences, but minimal number of years in math and languages.

Kelse

Don't take what you have now for granted. You don't know how much you will miss it.

Anne

Dear Former Self,Congratulations! You made it to your senior year of high school and was accepted to your number one school! Once you get into college you are going to go through some changes. Here's some advice for college. The first piece of advice I'll tell you is to not take things so seriously. Your roommates won't be very nice, so don't take them so seriously. Remember that when they get stressed they might take it out on you. That being said, stand up for yourself. If you let them blame you, they will blame you. The second piece of advice is not to be too hard on yourself when it comes to grades. As long as you worked hard and gave it your all and the best you can do is a C+, then you should be proud of yourself because you are taking difficult courses. Always remember that grade is a reflection of your past. You have the future to improve! My third and final piece of advice is not to give into other people. Always stay true to yourself. Have fun at college, but not too much fun! The Present Me

Lina

Dear Lina, I know you working hard on your application. I have to tell you something. Stop appling school when you reach at 4 schools. You applyed to 16 school because want to. But you do not need to apply 16. You only get in to 10. I warn you. Also do not apply to Harvard you never finish the aplication. Pick Assumption College because you know people there. When you get to college, study your notes everyday it will help you alot. You will taking a lot of science courses so be on your toes. There alot of writing, and I know you hate writing. You will grow of loving in writing. So good luck Lina Your old buddy self, Lina

Yakaira

The advice I will give to my self would be to work harder than ever, get involved in more things, try to look out for the impossible because once you are in college there's no coming back. College is harder than I thought. There are a lot of things that I had to learn in this country that are difficult for me including the language which I still dominating and those things sometimes limit you, but the only thing you can do here is don't give up because after all it is your dream that will be in the play. No matter how hard things be I guess we just need to try our best and when everytime you feel weak remember yourself why you are here that will give you the strenght you need to keep going and keep following your dream until the end.

Marissa

College is not as scary as it seems. You will enjoy your classes, you will make many great friends, and you will learn how to manage your time well. Stop worrying and jump right in. Assumption is the right school for you, and you will realize that as your freshman year progresses. You will be presented with many great opportunites, so be sure to grab hold of as many as you can while they are still available. Have a blast and work hard; you'll get the best of both worlds.

Nathalie

College is a total different environment in a good way. You will be surrounded by people of your age all the time. Now you will be independent, so you need to know how to make te correct decisions on your own and be able to focus on academics as well as on having fun. The magic word is BALANCE between school work, friends, working, extra-curriculars, family, spiritual life, etc.

Valerie

If I could go back in time to back when I was a high school senior, I would let myself know that it is more important than ever that I apply for scholarships, because they are like an alternate key we have to our education. It is not fair to our parents we give them more than one job which is to take care of us but now they have to pay for you to school when you can be doing your part applying for money for school. To be able to attend school should already be our drive, because that determines our future. I regret not applying for more scholarships because along with not taking the matter of money seriously before I now know how critical it is. I feel certain scholarships we apply for also enhances our writing skills which I think is significant also.

Shawna

I would say to go with your gut feeling. If you feel as though you would fit into a college, you probably will. Make sure to be open to meeting new people and be yourself. If you pretend to be someone your not your new friends will get the wrong idea about you and that will lead to being hurt. Lastly, enjoy yourself, but maintain focus on your goals and why you are there.

Veronica

There I am, surrounded by friends who I feel I've know for a lifetime, even thought it's only been a couple months. We are laughing about They don't care about being popular or winning athlete of the year. Everything that seemed to be so important in high school is just a distant memory, more like a waste of time. As a senior, I worried about being absolutely perfect and trying to prove myself, not only to surrounding peers and teachers, but to myself. I needed to be the best. College is not about being the best. It's about surviving. If only I could go back in time, I would tell myself to stop attempting perfection. It cannot be reached. I learned that there is a difference between being your best and being the best. Ultimately being your best is all that matters and being the perfect reflection of yourself is so much more benefitial than being the perfect person. That is the advice I would give to my high school self, as I relfect on my first year of college.

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to be careful who I trust.There are so many peope to meet and so many new friends to make. You will want to make friends with everyone, but be careful. You need to be more aware and notice people who talk about themselves constantly. They will not make you happy and drive you crazy. Surround yourself with people who are genuine and care. Also know to leave a relationship if you guys fight all the time. Relationships are supposed to make you happy and if they dont, lose the guy. Also, do not focus on what other people think, only yourself. That is what will make you happy. I would tell myself to focus on myself and not just on making friends. Feeling insecure about friends is easy, but if they are not there for you, they are not true friends. Focus on your school work, that is why you are at school after all. Keep the prize in mind and know that nobody else will get that god GPA for you. You are responsible and make good decisions. Continue to do that for yourself.

briana

i will tell myself to work hard and to look for as many scholarships as possible. i will tell myself to listen and pay attention more in class. i would study more and ask for help when i need it. i would make sure i won't end up in the type of situation that i'm in now.

Lily

Although I have only completed my first semester of college I have learned so much. The transition was definitely a challenge to me because I did not know what to expect. I wish I could talk to myself as a high school senior. If I could, I would tell my high school self to relax. That everything would be okay even though it is extremely overwhelming at first, it is for all the other freshmen too. I would advise myself to be more outgoing and open up to people. Remind myself that I should be confident in who I have become because there are people out there who will like me for who I am. I would promise myself that being homesick only lasts a little while. Also, that it is worth it to go to every class. Most of the professors have their students’ best interests in mind and are very willing to offer extra help. I would assure myself that all my hard work would pay off.

Anne

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college, the main piece of advice I would give myself is to be confident. As a freshman I doubted myself a lot. I did not think that I could be one of the “smart kids.” This belief and self doubt prevented me from seeking out some opportunities that I wish I had taken. For instance, I had the opportunity to enter the Honors Program but declined because I thought that I would not be able to handle the work load. I realize now that I missed a great opportunity. It certainly would have been an extra adjustment to college if I was a member of the honors program, but I believe that it would have been a great learning experience. I wish that I had a larger degree of self efficacy upon entering college and challenged myself by accepting the invitation to the honor program. I would tell my high school self not to put a limit on what I can achieve and to be confident in my abilities.

Myra

To never let anyone make you think something different. Your own thoughts is what counts and just give your self more time to over think. Your decison is never wrong.

Dakota

Dakota, before you start college, apply for as many scholarships as you can, and most importantly make sure you apply for financial aide. When you start school, make sure you try to make as many friends as possible and join a club or two, this way you can ensure a support system and have help before you even need it. These are just a couple tips you should know about college life and making the transition.

Nicole, pay attention! You've never had to pay for your education however coming fall every decision you make is going to cost you money! If you decided you're too tired for homework that's money coming from your pocket. You may not think that learning algebra is going to help your future, but it will make your college life easier. Keep your head in the game! Listen to the words you teacher's are telling you, they mean something. They will help you next year. Do your homework...everyday! It's called discipline and you will need it next year. Don't let your occasional laziness keep you down. Your capable of so much if you merely believe in yourself.

I would definitely tell myself to be more confident in who I am. I can be very nervous when meeting new people and I am constantly afraid that they will not accept me for who I am. During my first year, I soon realized that if I just be myself I will find the people that are worth becoming friends with because they will be the ones who I can be myself around. I also would tell myself that I should never try to be someone that I am not. Even if it is just the little characteristics about myself that I change, I am not being trut to myself. Luckily, my roommate and I were a perfect match and this helped me to realize how silly it is to be embarrassed about who you are. I can't change who I am and in order to succeed in life I need to accept myself for all my assets and my faults. No one is perfect and by accepting this fact and knowing who I am, I was able to learn where my time and energy was best spent to improve my social and academic skills.

Kate

Just breathe, rest well, excercise daily and never ever feel like the end of something is enough. Continue to push youself to reach new heights every day. There is so much to be learned and so much to experience, never stop moving. Learn to say yes to things you wouldn't typically say yes to, but know when to say no and trust your gut. Keep your head up, your eyes open, and your mind free to embrace the unexpected because you never know what it might lead to. The future holds amazing opportunities that are all paving the path that defies your existence. Make it special, make it great, make it you.

Andrea

I would tell myself to follow my heart and pick the school that I feel at home. Which ever school feels like somewhere i would want to be for my next 4 years.

Jordan

Embrace the Unexpected College is a time meant for establishing values and laying the foundation for a better life. Would it not be better if it was my own life instead of somebody else’s? While advice from friends and family is helpful in navigating the murky waters that are collegiate life, it should not be taken as literal instructions in how to attend college. Marching to a campus with misconceptions based on opinions from those who have sailed through college before will only result in catastrophe. The student’s plans will crumble into ruins, leaving him brokenhearted and disheveled. Moreover, remaining uptight would not allow for any growth. Instead an outline should be designed so that maximum flexibility can be obtained. Unexpected events are the blessings of college. Decisions made on a whim can result in wondrous opportunities (However, they can also devastate lives so be careful). That is why one must look at college as if it was a block of clay. Once a shape has been molded, it can always be adjusted to meet newly discovered needs. I am hoping that once my time at Assumption expires I will have sculpted a "Jordan" instead of a "David."

Tina

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself in many ways. First I would mainly tell myself to focus on my gpa . If I had known my gpa was so improtant back then I wouldn't of paid so much attention on my social life. Secondly is to take more college credits courses. When I was in high school I took so much time taking pharmacy technician dual enrollment courses . Which took time away from my other courses. If I had known that college consume a lot of time , I would of taken the college credits in high school. Lastly I would tell myself to pick a very good college . thank you so much for a chance to win this scholarship.

Zebb

Hey Zebb, I know what youre thinking bud, I used to think the same things quite some time ago, and I just want to set some of your anxiety at ease. The first thing you need to know is this: no, college is not a paper writing prison run by slave driving professors. Believe it or not, some of the the stories you heard about college in high school are just as fake as some of the stories you heard about high school when you were in middle school. That doesn't mean the workload isn't there, but you certainly don't need to stress about your upcoming assignments. Trust me on this - I've done them already. Also, I know you're worries about heading off to a city for college. Coming from a small town in Maine, I don't balme you, but it isn't actually too bad. It's certainly safe to walk around a bit and enjoy yourself. One last thing before I've got to go, Zebb. You'll fit in just fine, so relax. Sincerely, You P.S. - Conrats on graduating. I'm proud of you.

Grace

If I had the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would try to reassure myself that I am capable of what is needed of me. I am able to make friends and the academic aspect is different, but totally doable. Staying organized and keeping track of due dates is extremely important! I would try and help past me see that I had been preparing a long time for college, and would be fine when I needed to get to work. I would also tell me that everyone on campus (including the professors) are very helpful and there a huge number of resources I can go to for help. Also, the change as far as living situation is hard, but the time away from family will bring you closer together when you are home. Gaining more independence is worth dealing with some small homesickness in the beginning (plus video chat exists for a reason!). Overall, stay organized and be confident in yourself.

Danielle

Pick the college for yourself and pickthe school you feel most comfortable. Go to a college because you want to and not because someone else will want you to. It is your life, only you can make your decisions.

kelsey

I would tell myself that high school isn't everything. When you are in high school you think it is your world; every drama is a defining situation that builds who you are and how people perceive you. I would like to advise myself that that is far from the truth. College is where you truly find yourself and you get to start over. This is especially important for all those who get bullied to hear because there is bigger and better things outside of high school. I would also tell myself to not take life so seriously. Yes, it is good to try your hardest in high school, but being involved is equally as important as grades. I wish that I had tried harder in sports so that I could have played in college and build those team bonding relationships that I see alot of my current classmates enjoying. There are always new chapters in life and college is one of them. It is not as scary as some portray, but is filled with freedom, hard life lessons, life-long friendships, and a curriculum you can both appreciate and enjoy.

Sonny

To definitely take the time to learn about a college and what it offers. They have many clubs and organizations that helps students to succeed, get involved, and make their time here less overwhelming. Never hesitate to ask for help, take initiative.

Kelly

The transition is not as hard as it looks and it is not as scary as you thought it would be. There is no reason as to why you can't at least try to attend, no matter how nervous you are. I guarantee you will like it more than you think you will. It is also much easier to transition into school right after high school when you are still use to having homework and studying than trying to get back into the swing of things later on down the road. Also, you will not be able to find a very good and successful job nowadays without a degree.

Adam

The advice that i would give myself is that i would tell myself to apply to scolarships and try to get as many as i could so that it wouldnt be so hard to get through school and after school with all the bills. I would also urge myself to save some money and start paying off the loans while i was in school instead of waiting untill i finished school.

Jonathan

some people mature faster than others and thats ok. If you find a passion for something that is constructive and healthy but against the norm of others, it is ok to pursue it and never let other people tell you otherwise

Tonia

Today, if I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to start college right after graduating. If you knew what I know right now, you would take my advice, and go to college now. Life will be much better for you than it will be with the road you are going down. Don’t get married to him right now, wait because, it does get better. You can better yourself, go get that degree you have been wanting and dreaming of now. So many doors open for you, when you have the Business degree in your hands. Go for it now, while you are young, before you start your family. Don’t wait. You have your whole life ahead of you to have a family, get yourself in college, put your education first and then start a family. If you knew what I know right now, you would take my advice, and go to college now. Life will be much better for you than it will be if you stay with him. Go for your dream, do it now. Trust me!!

Julianna

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would tell myself to work harder on time management and on my studying skills. I would also tell myself to be more careful with who I affiliate with and who I allow into my life. I would also tell myself not to trust everyone I meet. I would explain to myself that I should remain a confident person because that would make the transition easier and allow me to make the right decisions. The advice I would give myself is to stay focus on what is most important and that college life is not easy so I should find real friends who will stick by me through the rough parts. I feel that the most important thing I could tell myself is to have fun and not be nervous about life. That with all the bad that will come even more good will come from it. I would wish myself luck and hope that the future was not changed too much because my life now is not that bad and I would tell myself that. This is the best advice I can give myself.

Kerry

In high school, I did not challenge myself enough. I was an above average student but did not work to my potential. It became a pattern that I just cruised through high school with little effort and came into college with the same mentality. It is important to apply yourself to the best of your ability because the type of student you are in high school tends to become habitual and can carry over to college. For me, college presented me with a challenge because the classes were more vigorous in work load and speed. The first semester of college I did not achieve the A's and B's that I easily received in high school. College is a big change, socially and academically. It is important to know that it is hard work and that it is better to try your hardest at all times than to learn the hard way!

lyndsay

If I could give myseld one piece of advice it would be to not worry about what others think about you and worry about yourself and being successful. Coming from a college prep school the transition into college was easy class wise but the social scene was hard. I worried too much about fitting in and lost focus on my school work. If I could go back a year, I would tell myself that being yourself is what will help you fit in. I would let myself know that focusing on school is more important than trying to find a group to hang out with. If you need to change youself to fit in then they are not worth your time.

I would tell myself that everything will work out for the best and to not stress about things so much. This seems very difficult to do, but the stress just makes things worse. To keep organized, especially when balancing schoolwork, athletics, friends, and relaxation make a chart that identifies your time devoted to schoolwork and athletics. Those are most important and everything else needs to be scheduled in around that. Rest is very important too. Your friends will understand that you're busy so do not feel like you are letting them down if you cancel plans to get more sleep. However, do not reschedule all the time. They are the people that will stick by you through everything, so you want to be able to build and maintain a few strong friendships. Do not be afraid to date in college, whether it be from a pre-college relationship or one that occurs once attending. Just be yourself and do what you feel is right, and everything will fall into place as it should.

My high school itself provided me with excellent advice before going to college. I was warned with this amount of work I would be getting and how hard I would have to work to be successful. What I wasn't warned with was how to balance schoolwork with a social life. Although schoolwork is the most important, having friends and being involved with school activities is just as important. What advice I would give myself would be to join clubs and participate in activities as a freshman. At the end of my freshman year, I joined the Student Government Association and met amazing people whom I never thought I would become so close with. I was still able to study hard and not fall behind in my work. I do wish that I knew more about this club going into college. What I learned was to not be afraid to try new things.

Tara

The advice I would give myself would basically only involve myself as a junior in high school, going into senior year. Although I was extremely on top of looking into colleges and really making sure I chose the right one and the right major, some how I think I could have done a little better of a job. I am extremely happy with the decision I ended up making, but I think I just lucked out with how much I fell in love with the school. If I could go back, I would tell myself to think about the type of school I want to go to. Assumption College being a Catholic school, there are multiple Theology and Phillosophy classes I must take in order to graduate, and these classes are not easy and have nothing to do with my major. Looking back, I probably would not have chose a Catholic school. Also, I love sports so it would have been cool to go to a Division I school for sports.

The advice I would give myself is to calm down. You'll make friends and will have great classes. The classes are nice and the professors are considerate to college students. Living on the campus isn't hard either, the food will be different but you'll still be able to feel a home like atomosphere. So no worries, you made a really good choice of schools. You make wonderful friends, and meet a lot of special people. You also will have many new adventures ahead of you.

Olivia

The number one piece of advice that I would give to myself is to simply have a calm and open mind. I would explain how the first year of college can appear as one overwhelming mess between the amount of school work, living in a dorm, meeting new people, and being involved on campus. It's natural to be nervous and excitied about your first year in college, but it's important to figure out how to apply such nerves and excitement, for example, figuring out what causes each emotion. I was nervous about being able to handle my workload, and during my freshman year, I should have taken the opportunity to visit the academic center and my professors' office hours more often. I would have been a lot less stressed! I would also tell myself to be open to the numerous opportunities that college provides. I would recommend attending club fairs and events advertised on campus. I would remind myself that I don't have to commit to any club right away, but attend meetings for each one I'm interested in and make a decision from there. Be excited to take new chances!