Augsburg College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Augsburg College

David

From a junior currently attending Augsburg….. Augsburg is a respected school when it comes to academics, especially when it comes to the sciences. Being a private school you get used to the small community. Yet that being said, it is a small community so if you do something important people will know about it. And yet there are times when you will bump into someone you've never seen ever, yet they've been a student with you for the past couple of years. Living on campus is alright, it's not the cheapest or the best. The food is okay, there are healthy options like salads. The first-year dorms are okay, anything above freshman housing is pretty nice. Depending on who the housing directors for that year is, you could end up loving it or hating it. The extracurricular activities are awesome, there are variations and a lot of acceptance. The diversity is amazing and the professors are also amazing. When it comes to sports, wrestling is the most talked about, and next would be soccer, anything other than that comes up once in a while. Sporting events will remind you like your high school sporting events, they're alright. The location, being in the Minneapolis area, there's a lot to do around with access to public transportation. In terms of parties, the University of Minnesota is not far, and you could say Augsburg is a pretty chill school. Overall, If you are a stem major, you like small communities, you like soccer or wrestling and like the urban lifestyle, Augsburg is for you. Lastly, finding parking will suck a lot.

V

Augsburg is one of the best place to be!

Arlan

The Department of Public Safety does a great job of keeping the campus safe and in order. The campus food should be better, as in not leaving black markings and stains on the cups, plates and making more variety of foods. Open gym hours should be more respected and accurate since the University's team takes longer than what they are scheduled.

Gaozong

Overall I feel that Augsburg College is in a very convenient location; there are many stores, places to dine, areas to explore with friends and even provides convenient methods of transportation for students. Not only is the college surrounded by these many sources, there are even great volunteer opportunities and places to work at if a student is not working on campus. The college itself has many resources a student can take advantage of such as the writing center and wellness center. The food is delicious as well and has more of a cultural tastes which I feel is good because there are students from all over the world.

cheyenne

It is a wonder, small, close college (but not too close). it is very conveniently placed and all staff and professors I have met are welcoming and a few are extremely opinionated (most are very open). the campus is left leaning but we try and keep everything balanced. my biggest complaint is that the campus is not in the safest neighborhood.

Arianna

Augsburg is an okay place. Living on campus is too expensive for what you get because the room suck and the cafe food is pretty bad. But the history and education departments are amazing, and the professors are very knowledgeable. The sports teams are okay, but its free for students so that's nice.

Isabelle

In my opinion Augsburg college is a great school for artistic or sporty people. If you are not interested in either, it is going to be harder to fit in here. However, augsburg is a very welcoming school and everyone is really nice. Class sizes are great, and make for more one on one teaching when need be. The only things i don’t like about this college is to food isn’t that great. It sometimes is good, but usually not that great. Overall, i would reccomend this school to students.

Nkaujfuah

It's a very expensive college and has a small population of students. The average class size would be about 20 - 30 people. It is a college that wants you to be involved in the community, which is nice and comforting. I would say that Augsburg college has become very diverse, which is awesome.

Anna

That it is a good school, with a decent community surrounding it, but it didn't seem close, to motivated in any way, maybe other than sports. It doesn't feel like its focused on anything, it has no goal as a school or for its students. It doesn't seem to care about them as a whole, but its an okay place.

Augsburg College provides a very well-rounded education! This college focuses on being an informed student as well as an informed citizen in order to truly contribute to the betterment of society. In my own personal experience, there is a lack of emotional support. Especially in the Music Therapy department there is contradicting sources of information and lack of help in preparing for the outside of class exams that are required for my specific degree. There are a lot of good qualities that Augsburg possesses, but there are just a few things that I have found to cause distress.

Madeline

I love it! There is an amazing, close-knit community feeling on campus. It has a very cozy feel in the heart of the city. Professors are great at what they do and they are always willing to help students. The school encourages close relationships with professors and other members of the school. The professors also know most of their students by name. Overall a great school!

Augsburg College is a very liberal college in its policies, but very conservative in the execution of those policies. Half of the teachers are liked, and half aren't. But it is a very pretty school and is well kept unless there is snow. The campus is small which is really nice because you can get to each class in 5 minutes or less. The disabilities office is very nice and helpful to those that need it and overall the resources to students are plentiful and easy to find. The food could be way better and the cost of attendance, room, meal plans, and parking could be less, but it is a great school for those that want diversity.

Violet

I enjoy it. It is very liberal and very involved with what is going on around them. The LBGTQIA acceptance is great, but it is still a club and you have to be very politically correct . they decide who is the "good" queer. I love how small the classes are thought and how its in the middle of the city

Salma

It is a good school and you receive a fair amount of resources.

Graceann

I think the school has great opportunity and something for everyone. Classes are designed for you and makes sure that everything is available to you. They allow everyone with great tools which point you in the right direction for success. Augsburg University is here to allow everyone with the perfect education and guarantee success for your future.

Soyome

Augsburg College is an amazing place to be in. It is a diverse place with students from different backgrounds and cultures. There is always something to explore and learn in such a diverse place. It also has a small class room size that makes it easy for students to get a one on one counseling from professors. Overall Augsburg college is a perfect college to be enrolled in.

Mai

I love Augsburg University so far! The community here is very diverse, I have many new people who I now call friends and go to when I needed help or going somewhere. The professors her are also very flexible with their schedule and being here really helped me discover who I am and what I want to major in!

Natascha

My name is Natascha Schalk, I’m a Senior Music Therapy Major at Augsburg University, and wish to use my music and my newfound knowledge from my classes to make the world more bearable for those that are different. Music Therapy is used to assist those with physiological, physical, and mental illness/disabilities begin to heal or learn to live a flourishing life with their disabilities. I’ve loved music since before I could form full sentences, and I am told how I would hum the tune to happy birthday repeatedly because it was the only tune that would sooth me during a baby sized melt down, which from my understanding was very large. Just like most young people, I’ve always wanted to be a famous singer and have people hear my songs across the country, maybe even the world. As I grew older, I began volunteering more and wanted to be a doctor so that I could help people get better. Finally. I settled on a lawyer, a defense attorney to help those who were innocent get free. I wanted to be a lawyer until after I received my AA degree from North Hennepin Community College. The final summer before starting at Augsburg University I volunteered at St. Therese where I met the Music Therapist there and felt a pull, that was my calling. Music Therapy, I'd never heard of such a thing. I didn't know that there was such a career path, nor did I know how perfect it was for me. I want to share my music and help others share theirs through therapeutic methods. That is how music has influenced my life, and how I plan to influence the lives around me. Augsburg University is one of the 61 out of the 1400 4-year colleges that are in the US who offer a music therapy degree. We were taught everything required to become a Music Major and we were required to take psychology classes. The required classes for psychology are one short of a minor. There are many classes designed specifically for the Music Therapy Major as well. I was a transfer student and transferred over as a Junior, I have been required to take 18-19 credits each semester to finish my degree for the past few years. Fortunately, many of these classes are very small about 6-7 students, the largest class I have ever had and ever will have is about 30-40 students. Unlike most 4-year colleges, the professors really care if the students pass their courses, the point is to learn, not to pass. Thankfully, learning about the topic is equal to passing. The professors will send personal emails if you are doing well or have missed class due to an illness to ask if you are doing okay. The personal relationships that professors form with students is not only beneficial to learn information, but it makes the students want to do well in their classes. Augsburg offers disability assistance for classes, and makes it a priority to be a part of the community as well. There are many opportunities to study abroad, in many different countries, for all kinds of majors. The campus is very small and easy to get around, it is also only a few blocks away from the light rail which will take you into the heart of the U of M and shopping centers for groceries, clothes and restaurants. Augsburg has an extremely active sports and club life as well. There are no scholarships offered for sports, but an extremely large amount offered for Academics, this is extremely important because sports are an option and are meant to be fun, not “I might lose my scholarship if I don’t do this sport.” This shows that Academics and Education takes president over Athleticism which is an amazing stance to have. This school is wonderful, easy to get to (right off of 94 next to the west bank U of M), small class sizes, caring professors, abundant opportunities to study abroad, many clubs to join, and much more.

Matthew

Augsburg College was my first pick and the only school I applied to just from the tours and reviews online I felt that it would be the perfect school for me. The first semester of attending Augsburg I've not been let down by the expectations I held for this place. All of the students and staff are so open-minded and friendly. I appreciate that environment so much and this is where I'm excited to grow and learn. The academics, on the other hand are amazing, although are class sizes are extremely small it makes it one hundred times more engaging. I'm happy to call this place my home.

Anthony

Augsburg is a fantastic choice for those who thrive in community settings. The classes are almost all under 30 students per section, so in class discussion is rich and common. If you are motivated and intellectually curious, the professors are overjoyed to help you with the class, grad school applications, scholarships and more. The small campus right outside of downtown Minneapolis, which offers a unique urban environment for a small liberal arts college. The student body is also easily half non-white students, which I think has enriched my college experience thus far. The food service leaves a bit to be desired, but many of the upper class residence halls have kitchens. Augsburg is also home to the StepUP program, the nations largest collegiate recovery program, of which I am a participant. StepUP has been a priceless asset as a person in long term recovery. I wouldn't be in college without it.

Manford

I love the education program at Augsburg University. The professors are all extremely knowledgable and available to meet outside of class and office hours if students need to connect with their professors. If you are a student in recovery from drugs and/or alcohol, the StepUP program at Augsburg can be a life saver.

Krystal

I love Augsburg it's perfect for me the teachers are great the student are awesome and location is beautiful right in the heart of Minneapolis

Automne

Augsburg is a really inclusive school, a very tight-knit community that's full of opportunity. A lot of staff and faculty really care about the students. The CLASS office for students needing accommodations is amazing for those with physical, learning, and mental disabilities/illness. The student organizations are the best, and there is a ton to join.

Nevin

I believe Augsburg is a great University. There size of the classroom is perfect for students to connect with professors. I think the cafeteria food just needs a little improvement. I do feel safe on campus but once you exit, it can be a little bit dangerous. Overall, I believe Augsburg is a great university.

Kaitlyn

I think its a great college. It happens to be in downtown Minneapolis, so there is lots of things to do around campus no matter what you are into. The atmosphere on campus is really friendly and liberal even thought it is a Lutheran school. No matter what religion or if you are light there are options for you to do what you want and even specific religious services for different groups. The classes are quite small roughly 30 people per class thought I've has them as small at 10 people. The one downside I have to say is the cost of the college and the housing.

Noah

A very good school with excellent location. very involved, but could improve in other ways. Some of those improvements could be Freshman housing, focus on their lacking sports teams, and the food. The food is the worst part of the school by far us as students pay an large amount of money for unsafe food, including but not limited to uncooked meat and rats in the cafeteria.

Khanh

It's an okay school. The award package isn't the best, I haven't been involved in the community, and I'm not the biggest fans of my professors

Xochilt

I have enjoyed every minute of being on campus. Since the first time I visited the campus I felt like I belong there. The staff is energetic and proud who are always ready to help out Students In need. There are many activities for everyone to enjoy.

Agatha

Augsburg College is a good school and I feel connected to it because of its​ size and diversity. The class size is amazing because we get to know our professors and they get to know us too. Coming from a small high school, Augsburg is the perfect college for me. Augsburg is diverse, but the only problem I have with that is that they are not inclusive. They are trying to be inclusive and I admire that but compare to my high school, I want Augsburg to be better in being more inclusive.

Augsburg University is a school that is wide in diversity as well as has accessible programs for every type of student. Their CLASS program for the disabled is highly valued by many and their determination to help those in minority groups is worth recognizing. Augsburg was my #1 choice for a college since my junior year of high school and I have no regrets. The professors care immensely for their students and the opportunities we're given stand out in comparison to most schools. My favorite part about attending my school is the class sizes as I feel that I can always ask my professors anything and feel understood.

Jacquelin

Augsburg is a very diverse school. I really like their liberal arts program and they have so many programs that are accessible to the students there. The campus is easy to get around as well as very nice. Most of the professors that teach there are very helpful.

Madison

It's a very beautiful campus with extremely friendly and comforting community. Overall, this college is amazing when it comes to academic advising. You are always arms away from getting the right kind of guidance whether that is towards internships, degree progression, or even towards your major! I give it four stars because the tuition is still a little too high and loans aren’t exactly something I would like to pay off in thirty years. I love the diversity on the campus because they welcome everyone with kindness and equality.

Maya

Food sucks.

Brian

It is a great school.. One of the best in Mn for Film Studies . The professors are very knowledgeable. The classes are demanding, and very interesting. I am currently a senior at this school. I want to become a huge film director in Hollywood someday.. and plan on transferring to NYU for my graduate degree after i finish my BA in film

Sereirotha

Good school. Very diverse and welcoming atmosphere. Students love to get involved in campus activities and are encouraged to get to know each other well.

Jasmin

I love this college! It fits what I was initially looking for in a University which was a small campus, small class sizes, in the city of Minneapolis, beautiful campus and most importantly it is very diverse. I was a part of the 150th class to attend Augsburg University, which was the largest class size admitted in all the years that Augsburg has been around AND it is the most diverse class to attend Augsburg. The thing that I love most is that professors really take the time to get to know their students because the class sizes are small.

Lenoa

Sydnie

The campus is not the reason most people attend Augsburg. The campus could be more modern and definitely more handicap accessible. There could also be more concern for the residencies in terms of what you receive for the price you pay. The reason students attend Augsburg is solely for the people. Augsburg is filled with amazing faculty; From the professors to the janitorial staff, everyone is concerned with the wellbeing of the students. I truly appreciate my school and I would not want to attend another.

Kalia

I am currently enrolled, so yes I consider myself a student for my freshman year here. Honestly, I love Augsburg, its been my dream school for quite a while now. It has such a beautiful environment and energy filled from the students and staff here. I love that its a private college and that classes are not like lectures filled with many students. I like more of a one on one having to do with my education. This school is just lovely as well as its campus and in its variety of students!!

Melanie

I personally love the campus there. I have always been interested in smaller campus so Augsburg gives me that advantage. The people there are actually very helpful also, they take time to understand you as a person instead of assuming everything about you.