Sioux Falls, SD
Augustana University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Augustana University

Ellen

Augustana offered me a fantastic major in Anthropology. The department is very small but offers great opportunities like the chance to study in England at Exeter University.

I would give myself more confidence. As a high school senior I was scared to truly branch out and be adventurous and now I wish that I had. Also, I would tell myself to make these life decisions based on only what i want and not what others want of me.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy my last year of high school and make the most of it. I would say, "be yourself." The most important thing is to find and express yourself. Don't let other people stop you from being who you really are. People will judge you and talk about you, but that's just how people are. You can't let them get in the way of being true to yourself. I would also tell myself to be more confident. You need to realize that you can achieve anything if you set your mind to it. You will succeed as long as you try your best. Don't get down on yourself if you don't reach the high standards you set for yourself. You're trying your best and that's what matters the most. You will get knocked down, but you need to get back up on your feet. No goal of yours is impossible to reach. You will succeed and you will make something of yourself. Just stay true to who you are.

I wish I would have known more about the poor decisions being made about underage drinking. I've heard a lot about students coming back to the dorms and being drunk. I also wish I would have known more about campus ministry. I think it would have been beneficial to be informed about how much students are involved with campus ministry and other events.

Underage alcohol consumption is what I consider the worst thing about my school. My school is supposed to be a dry campus, however, there is a lot of alcohol consumption. It is not a good decision to be making and it does not reflect on any of Augustana's core values.

Matthew

The biggest advice I would give my high school self is to keep looking for scholarship opportunities. Although it is perhaps the most tedious part of the transition, going to college is expensive and every little bit helps. Additionally, make sure in your classes you are learning to learn as well as learning to get good grades. Part of becoming an expert on something involves a progressive building of your knowledge that is easily sabotaged if you are not retaining information due to poor study habits. As an addendum, don't forget to be patient and pleasant when looking for friends in college; although they may not be present right away, if you continue to look you'll find the kind of people you are looking for.

While I am tempted to echo my answer to the previous question here, I must say the thing I find most frustrating about a college--and I have unofortunately encountered it here--is when a professor seems to be going through the motions in his or her class, as if he or she does not care anymore. I take learning very seriously and I believing not caring is the worst sin any person who is a teacher may commit.

Mandi

People at Augustana tend to be from either South Dakota or Southwestern Minnesota. Therefore, many are from rural areas and very small towns. However, they are some of the nicest people you will meet. Augustana also does a great job of recruiting international students to study here, which make up for the diversity that its "traditional" students lack.

It's small, student, centered and they really care about you. At Augustana, you definitely don't feel like a number. The professors actually know your name and want you to succeed. There are a lot of on-campus activities, clubs, and organizations, along with many opportunities for students to work on campus.

I would tell myself to calm down. It WILL work out, even if you are a little uncertain at the time of what the future holds. The possibility of choice is a gift, not a burden, and it is not something to get worried about. I would also tell myself to stop worrying so much about what other people think. I have really learned that this just puts the focus on myself, and I am wasting energy and time worrying about someone's thoughts instead of caring about them.

Christina

My classmates are humble and understanding, and I like that we have small class sizes, so that everyone gets to know each other on a personal level.

We are a small private liberal arts college. I think what makes Augustana better than most colleges, is that we are not just a academics, but about a community as well. Everyone is always willing to help to accomplishing something, and you are never judged for the things you do.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself, do not worry about the future or the past, worry about the present. I feel like I spent a lot of time overthinking what I did in the past and what I still had to do in the future, which created some hardships for the present. Once I got to college, I finally realized that all the worrying had done absolutely nothing for me. Now knowing this, I have learned that I need to focus on the present and the challenges that are presented in front of me. If I worry about things that I have no control over, they problems will just make the present worse. Knowing what I know now, this will help continue and finish my education at Augustana College in Sioux Falls.

My classmates are caring and creative individuals who are usually studious.

My classmates are caring and creative individuals who are usually studious.

Dear self, In order to better prepare yourself for college you need to be able to read quickly and efficiently. Read as much as possible! Do not read simple reads, but rather something that will challenge your intellect. In college you might need to read 200 pages in one night! That is insane to imagine as a high school student but trust me, it will happen. Read the book Mosaic of Thought, written by Ellin Keene and Susan Zimmermann, the methods will help. Practice summarizing and synthesizing information you have just read and monitoring your understanding while you read. Understand that going to a tutor does not mean you are stupid, it actually shows you are a responsible student. You are involved in almost every extracurricular activity there is to offer. Realize that in college you need hours dedicated to school work. You cannot be involved in everything you want, narrow it down to the ones you enjoy the most. Dedicate one hour of every day to do something you love, start everyday with breakfast, and you will be amazed at how much happier and less stressed you will be. Also, call your parents, they appreciate hearing from you.

Mikayla

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not stress out about college so much. I spent so much time worrying about whether or not I chose the right college and whether or not I would make friends and get along with my roommate and how I would adjust to the classes. I have learned, though, that college truly is what you make of it. I was worrying about things that were completely out of my control at that point in time, which wasn't doing any good. I stressed myself out to the point that I was actually getting sick months before I even moved in. If I had the chance now, I would tell my high school self that it's really not that bad at all. The classes are difficult, but they're definitely manageable. I couldn't have possibly picked a more perfect college for myself, and making friends happens naturally. I would just tell myself that everything is going to work out in the best possible way, so I might as well stop worrying and actually enjoy my senior year of high school.

I think that the best thing about Augustana College is the incredible sense of community, both with students and professors, on top of the high level of academics. Since the campus is small, everyone is very friendly and gets along well with pretty much everyone else. No matter where you go on campus, you're sure to see at least someone you know, and even if you don't recognize anyone, by the time you leave, you'll have a ton of new friends. Everyone is willing and happy to help out anyone in any way that they can.

I always brag about how great my professors are and how fun and interesting they make all of the classes. My friends from other colleges complain about having boring classes, but I have never had that problem. My professors are always so enthusiastic about the subject that they're teaching that students can't help but be interested too. There are not very many pure lecture classes. Almost every class has student involvement, either through discussions or otherwise. By keeping students involved and truly caring about the subject material, there is never a dull moment with my professors.

Alexa

Augie is a great environment that is not too big and where you can get the one-on-one education that you deserve. I think that Sioux Falls is a very unique community that is full of opportunities, but like Augie is not too big. There are plenty of things available, and nothing is ever really busy. It's a great place to live, work, and go to school.

Looking back at what college has given to me I realize that I have gotten more than an education. If I could talk to my high school senior self I would definately tell myself to keep this in mind. The reason that you go to college is to get an education and to eventually enter the workforce. But what you may not know is that you are going to meet people from different cultures and religions, and you can learn so much from them. In order to really get the collegient expererience you must go with an open mind and a willingess to open up to people. Some of the most valuable lessons in college are life lessons, and there are many. It is also important to get involved with activities on campus and take pride in your school and the work that you do. Campus organizations are a great way to get involved, and they assist you in forming life-long friendships. Most of all, make sure that you stay true to yourself, work hard in everything you do, and remember to take time for yourself.

I always brag about what a fantastic education I am getting. Not only academically, but the whole package is really great. The classes are challenging and they also make you think about the big picture. I also brag about being accepted there and the great scholarships that were offered to me.

Katie

Stop stressing yourself out! Take your time making this decision and make it only for yourself. There is no great proven method to making the college choice because there is no way of knowing what you truly want in a college before you have ever attended college. With that in mind, keep your options open! You should really try to visit the schools of interest during the academic year and see what campus is like with students there. Do not be afraid to ask questions, talk to admissions, talk to students, sit in on a class and really get a feel for what going to this school would be like. Most imporantly, make a decision that you feel both comfortable and confident in; as long as you do that there is no going wrong. Besides, you are allowed to change your mind! Like mom always told you, use your best judgement.

I will be a transfer student at Augustana this fall and I am most excited about the size of the school. Coming from a large state school I am psyched to have small classes and really be able to get to know my peers and my professors!

The location! I was born and raised in Sioux Falls and am excited to say that it is growing into a pretty great place. Being the largest city in South Dakota it is awesome that Augustana is situated right in central Sioux Falls.

Morgan

We are a small Liberal Arts college in the middle of a residential community in the largest city in South Dakota. You get a small town feel with access to city activities, i.e. several movie theaters, over 750 restaurants, a large mall, and close proximity to larger cities in Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska.

Trust your judgement! You know yourself very well. The college search process is overwhelming and exciting. Place a high priority on visiting many schools with different programs and campus life offerings. You need to feel that you saw everything before you make your decision. Making the transition to college is scary, you are not the only person who feels the way you do. I suggest meeting your roommate before moving onto campus, you will feel much more relaxed if you have one person you know on campus before arriving there. Be outgoing! Do not turn down the opportunity to meet fellow classmates whether it be through an orientation activity, on campus entertainment, or a dinner out with your floormates or dormmates. You won't regret meeting too many people but you will regret not getting out there and making friends before everyone has their set group. Enjoy your freshman year! It goes by so fast. Be sure to take tons of pictures to look back on. One last thing, don't slack on your schoolwork! It is just as important as your social life. Ask for help when you need it! Good luck and have a blast!

We have a strong community feeling. It's small, only 1,800 students and because of that, everyone seems to know wach other. We're very friendly and have the typical midwest-nice. People wish to see their classmates succeed and we have an overall happy, friendly demeanor between students and faculty.

Augustana University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.