Sioux Falls, SD
Augustana University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Augustana University

Joshua

If I could go back as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, I would give myself the advice that school that is the most important thing ever! I would also know that leaving school to work full time because the money is descent is not going to be the case for long and the labor tends to be tuff on the body. It is worth getting into school focusing on the goal of graduating and sticking with it. Another piece of advice would be that I need to be at every class everyday. I have learned that is the most succesfull part of college but when leaving high school everyone thinks I can miss class its college they dont take roll. Missing one class in college is equivilent to missing one week.

Students are pushed to exceed expectations (even if they may not enjoy it in the beginning). Everyone is there for each other since our school values community. In fact, our school pushes its core values: Liberal Arts, Excellence, Community, Service, and Christian. Classes are small enough that relationships form between student and professors. Professors definitely care for students and enjoy time with them. There's always something to do during the week and the weekends with friends. There is a strong outreach of alumni to students. Family is put before acidemics, acidemics before sports and Augie is a family.

I know you enjoyed being super-involved in high school, but college is a bit different. There are plenty of extra-curricular activities to do, but don’t bit off more than you can chew; you will become overwhelmed. The activities that you do become involved in, be committed to; just don’t start off super-committed and then completely stop. You will miss high school initially…it was a good run, but college will vastly overshadow high school in opportunities/activities and you will really enjoy it. Your high school friends will move to distant places and even though you may not like it, your relationships with them may weaken; just stay connected with them. You will meet life-long friends here who are quirky just like you. Make good first impressions. Everyone is entering college alone and nervous; first impressions make a big impact, but don’t judge others. You will be pushed past your breaking point in some classes but you will survive. Your advisor may seem like he’s setting the bar high, but you will thank him; you will your own exceed expectations. Just remember: grades are NOT everything, friends and family are.

There are a lot of activities here, but don't dive head-first into all of them, you will become overwhelmed; check out the ones that sound interesting and be committed to them. Be open and friendly to everyone you meet. I know you'll be scared when you first start, but everyone is in the same boat and nervous about first impressions. Reach out to others who seem distant. Grades are important here, but not to the point of exhaustion; give yourself a break. College may seem daunting but it really is fun; it's a community (AKA family).

Cathryn

I love that Augustana is really friendly to current students and incoming students. At Augustana there are a lot of different activities that I can/have participate in. I also really enjoy the fact that Augustana is a smaller school compared to some of the schools that I visited. The staff at Augustana care about my future and are willing to help me in any way that they can.

The first piece of advice that I would tell myself is to take more AP classes in high school because there are a lot of general classes that I could have taken in high school. If I had taken more AP classes, I would not have to take summer classes to stay on track to graduate on time. I also would tell myself to be more outgoing and not let the "little" things get me upset. I have learned in college that it is more difficult to be outgoing because everything is new. I was nervous to start college because I did not know anyone but once I started to be more outgoing, I made a lot of friends and I have been enjoying my college experience. The biggest difference from high school to college is not to let the "little" things get you upset. I know that I am going to make mistakes and I learned that I am growing from each one of them. It is important to not get upset from things that will not affect you in months or years to come.

I wish I would have known the number of general courses that I have to take in order to graduate from Augustana. If I would have known this, I would have taken more AP classes in high school.

Rylee

Looking back, through everything that I have done that has gotten me where I am, I would first tell myself to pay more attention in your math courses! You might think that you rock in math now but twelve years down the road when you have to take math classes over again you are not going to think that you rock and it is going to be harder for you. Pay less attention to boys and pay more attention to the WORDS that the instructor is saying. The final, last two, words of advice would be to get more involved with activities on campus and more so in clubs on campus. Those activities have possiblities to open doors that you would not think were possible. Also communicate with others. Find out the answers to the questions that you have and do not back down from finding out those answers. Ask as many people you can and search different possibililties. If you do not like the answer you get, ask someone else. Never give up! Keep going and do it with your shoulders back, head high, and with a swagger to your step!

Tony

Augustana College is known for its outstanding students that continue and pursue a successful career. Not only are the graduates successful in their career, but also as individuals in that they understand, respect and act on the five core values at Augustana which are Christian, Liberal Arts, Excellence, Community and Service. Augustana stays a part of the students' lives as they continue their journey into the rest of their lives.

Hello Tony. The future is one that will test you spiritually, physically, emotionally and mentally. You will meet people who inspire you to understand what faith and truth means through multiple perspectives of others and through the histories of others who have existed before you. You will get to understand what the freshman-15 is, but also understand the impact of leading a healthy, unselfish life as a consumer and world citizen on this planet of 7 billion. Emotionally, there will be times where you are so stressed and emotionally drained, you do not know what to do. However, you will learn the value of naps and time management, which will lead you to form a successful and efficient schedule for your soon to be busy life. Mentally, you think you know what you are doing, but the reality is, you don't! You will be tested mentally to adapt to a new influx of knowledge and ideas which you will struggle, but ultimately succeed if you keep your hardworking ethics up. At the end of the day, don't forget your kindness and compassion towards others. Be patient and don't make things difficult. Cherish life and knowledge. Tony

Augustana College is a private, Lutheran college in the heart of Sioux Falls. It has about 2,000 students on-campus and class sizes of about 20-30 on average. The professors here are engaged in teaching their students as well as get to know them on a personal level i.e. going to sporting, theater or musical events and shows. The students here are open minded and enjoy their time with others here. There is always something to do on campus whether it is studying or hanging out with friends at campus events.

Emilia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to really do a lot of research on what the best college would be to go to. You spend a lot of money for college, so you don't want to waste your money or time at a college that's not right for you. Augustana doesn't have a good photography program, that's what you will want to do with your life later, so look into a school that DOES have a good photography program. Work hard in college and don't focus so much on your social life because it's not as important as your education. You're smart enough to do anything you want to do for a living so go out there an make the most of your experiences and work hard! You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it!

There's always something to do on Campus, you never get bored.

Somone who has a very strong background in the sciences. Augie also has a good Art department, but not for photography. Somone who's conservative and wants to study hard.

luis

I will talk about the great responsability that the college need, and to be pacient and do the best. I will give the advice that take all with entusiam and enjoy the road, because the life in the college is very great and unique.

Anna

There is so much to say about Augustana but two things I have taken away so far is that it is diverse in the sense of community and challenging yet rewarding regarding the education you receive.

If I were to go back to high school today there are a couple pieces of advice I would give myself. The first being the way I studied. Going through the transition of college is different for every person, but for most it is challenging. When it came to studying that was the biggest transition I had to go through. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taught myself better studying techniques to get me even better grades in high school and better habits in college. Another piece of advice I would give myself is enjoy life because the things you experience now you mostly likely will not get to experience again. I would tell my high school senior self that time goes by faster than I could imagine, and that I should make the best of it while making the best choices for myself.

The best thing about Augustana College is the opportunities they give you; they are endless! Augustana gives you opportunities ranging from things in Sioux Falls to traveling abroad.

Jenifer

Augustana College is a community oriented place that not only allows but challenges each and every student to reach their full potential.

If I could talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would say, "Take more AP classes; I know they're hard, but starting off college with a few credits under your belt is nothing to complain about. Get involved with school more: participate in more clubs, attend more football games. Support your friends, no matter where they decide to go to college. It's going to be hard leaving your friends and seeing them leave you, but it will be worth it--for you and for them. " My final piece of advice would be, "Don't be so hard on yourself. Mistakes are a chance and a challege to learn from, so it's okay to make them every once in a while."

I love that it's small, but not too small. It's all about community here.

Jaqualla

The advice that I would give myself would be that I should of pushed harder back then. I should of been more active so that I could carry that enthusiam with me to school. I would of looked at more schools even though I am proud to be a bronco. I would of done more to get to know this school better. I was in FSU Upward Bound and I am also attending Fayetteville State Now. I should got out and experienced the campus more and took a lot of oppurtunities that were given to me. I would of knew more people and I would of enjoyed my first semester here so much more. I would of focused more on academics and done all that I could of. I would just change my whole aspect about college and the easy life.

I love the Bronco Pride and the friendly environment. Makes you feel like you're at home.

I recommend all types of people to attend.

Augustana University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.