Sioux Falls, SD

Augustana University

« See more reviews of Augustana University

If I could go back and give myself any advice it would be to study, study, study and then study some more. When I was in high school, I never thought to schedule a time to study, I just expected my mom to tell me when I should study. I was doing myself a disservice by relying on my mom to keep me motivated. I realize now that it is all on me to decide when and how much I need to study. And now that I am in college, I need to study a lot more and study harder subjects as well. If I could give advice to myself as a high school student, or any high school student, it would be to study in any free time you have and do not depend on other people to make a schedule for you.

When going to school for undergraduate, do not focus solely on finding your one thing you want to do with your life and beat it to death. Learning how to love to learn is the most important and integral tool you can ever develop. With this college is no longer a chore, but development of who you are. So do not get too caught up in concentrating solely on your major. Figure out a a few fields you'd like, take courses in them as well as from other fields too. By the end of freshman or into sophomore year you should have a feel for what you want and you can go from there. Be diverse in your education, you've got your whole life to do work in your major.

If I could talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would say, "Take more AP classes; I know they're hard, but starting off college with a few credits under your belt is nothing to complain about. Get involved with school more: participate in more clubs, attend more football games. Support your friends, no matter where they decide to go to college. It's going to be hard leaving your friends and seeing them leave you, but it will be worth it--for you and for them. " My final piece of advice would be, "Don't be so hard on yourself. Mistakes are a chance and a challege to learn from, so it's okay to make them every once in a while."

High school is not a final destination in your life. College would be a stabe base for you to make a big jump in your life because you would be trained hard in college which gives you strengh knowlege for your future career. Attending in college might not be the most important, but it is the most necessary in your life. Enjoy the student life is the best experience ever in your life; you not only learn how to stand on your own feet but also be responsibility with your life and people around. College is a good enviroment for student to practice and learning becuase all rather sweat a lot on drill-ground than bleeding on the battle.

I have gotten out of my college expereince the believe in education is the key for the success, there is nothing better for oneself, a group, an organization or a country. Since I was young I have always had the urge to learn about new things. My parents always believed that poor people could never go to college, they always said “the fruit does not fall far away from tree”, which meant that if your family was poor, your life would be just like theirs and there would be no use in hoping for better. They were wrong, from my collge experience, you can change your life, be whoever you wanna be not follow anybody foot steps.

In my three years of college, I received tremendous growth in character, wisdom, and the education in my choice of major. I've also experienced a closer relationship with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Within that experience alone, I've gotten the chance to branch out into the real world and explore the many opportunities that were opened to me. I've gotten to travel to different parts of the country to explore the different cultures of our nation. My attendance in college has become one of my very valuable experiences, because not only have I received growth, but also I've learned who I am as an individual.

I have learned to organize my time and the importance of not procrastinating. I also feel that I have mastered research tools, writing papers, and public speaking, as well. My view of the world has changed since I have been in college. I'm less self-centered, and care for the world. I vote, recycle, volunteer, and do what I'm capable of to help my society become more rich. I was ignorant before I came to Augustana but now I'm educated, and have discovered what the world is and has to offer. I want to share my knowledge with the rest of the world, and I have a thirst to keep learning about the world I live in.

The advice I would give is to never let money be a factor in what school they choose. It's all about finding the right school for them. The college that they pick needs to be the best environment for the student to learn while having fun at the same time. The college experience can be amazing but stressful, and when the student finds the right school they will be able to figure out when they work best, and under what conditions they work best in. College, if the right one is found, is an amazing place that allows you to figure out so much about yourself and should not be taken for granted.

Parents and students should look together at colleges and when considering a college they should know the area. Students should find a college that is a comfortable distance from their family and friends and also understand what jobs are available in the area. The most important advice I can give is, do not rule out a school because it is private or too expensive. Colleges will work with you and find you as much financial aid and loans as they can. The college you choose reflects the education you will receive and the job opportunities that you will have later.

Study study study. Don't fall behind in classes when you start in the fall once you fall behind you will spend forever trying to catch up and then you will feel desperate. Don't give up on yourself and always believe you can do it. Work every day to do the best you can. College is a change and leaving home for the first time is hard but a year from now when you are going back for your sphomore year you will not regret the decision. Don't be shy people will love you! You will make a lot of new friends it will just take time!