Sioux Falls, SD

Augustana University

« See more reviews of Augustana University

My advice would be to never take for granted the people you have met in your life. Also utilize every lesson that has been learned and continue life with an open mind because there is always a lesson to be learned whether it be a recipe for a food or a procedure for preparing a specimen. Another thing i would tell myself is to share your story with everyone. Always apply for scholarships because there are people and groups that are dedicated on helping out studentsthat need financial support like Campus Discovery.

The most significant thing that I have gotten out of my college experience so far has definately been the opportunity to do research over the summer. This opportunity has been overwhelmingly valuable because it has given me the skills, cofidence, and inspiration to go into a career in research to solve our world's most interesting and difficult biological problems, and I haven't even graduated yet. With two and a half years left, I eagerly look forward to what else my college experience has in store for me.

Look for the hidden gems. Augie is a small, private, Liberal-arts college in Sioux Falls, South Dakota (a.k.a. the Middle of Nowhere!), and yet it's arguably one of the best schools in the upper midwest. Over 80% of our students who apply get into medical school, and the Augustana Band and Choir have done international tours in places like China, Tanzania, South Korea, and Spain. A college need not be a huge state university or a famous name in order to provide an outstanding education and experience.

When searching for a college, simply use your gut instinct. Sure, money, location, and other characteristics of the school/campus will influence a final decision, but make sure that you know it "feels right". If you can visualize yourself there, most likely it will be a great choice. Plan an overnight stay and attend classes to get the overall feel of the campus. Also, go during the week when students are on campus so you get the vibe of the student body.

I would tell myself to calm down. It WILL work out, even if you are a little uncertain at the time of what the future holds. The possibility of choice is a gift, not a burden, and it is not something to get worried about. I would also tell myself to stop worrying so much about what other people think. I have really learned that this just puts the focus on myself, and I am wasting energy and time worrying about someone's thoughts instead of caring about them.

Going off to college has not only taught me more book wise but maturirty wise. I have seen a growth in my maturity level and I know what I want out of my life and college experience. I had a rough beginning to college because I went to a Cal state that I did not feel was the right fit for me. While there I learned who I was and what I truly want. I am now attending at Junior college, while in the process of applying for other Universities.

Go to a school with a lot of choices if you have no idea what you want to do. Take several different classes to help you choose a major. If you already have an idea of what you'd like to do, make sure you go to a school with a few different choices for what you're interested in, just in case you change your mind. And if you pick a school for it's major, make sure that you like the campus and connected with the proffessors. Good luck!

I've learned so much in this past year and half in my community college. I've met people from all over the globe, I've seen so many different perspectives and values; values which I've come to respect. I have gotten the chance to express my ideas and beliefs in ways I didn't even know I could. But most importantly, what I've gotten was this: knowledge. To me, this was my most powerful tool given to me.

While attending college I have gained a numerous amount of experience in 'life'. I have gained an enormous amount of knowledge in social skills and how this is applied to everyone's working environment and how it develops into success. The other most important thing I have learned while attending college is how every subject one studies can be related to another seemingly unrelated subject or topic.

Attending college has helped me to learn who I am and who I want to become. Being in a college setting is especially helpful in finding oneself because everyone is in the same situation and willing to help each other. Whereas if I had gone straight to the work force and been trying to find a life path I might have rushed my decisions and felt pressured into deciding something that was wrong for me.