Augustana University Top Questions

Never reside with a housemate who is not on a lease. Even when unofficial subleasing was possible, no authority held the housemate accountable for paying bills, and great upheaval was needed to remove the unwanted guest. This became especially problematic when the aforementioned resident agitated friends and romantic relations and also purportedly used methamphetamine. Never lose faith in yourself. The world will constantly doubt your mettle. Explicit and implicit messages will daily remind you to give up. Find many reasons to defy them. Never lose sight of the big picture. There were days—even weeks—last year when I looked forward to nothing short-term. When my part time job scheduled me nearly 40 hours per week on top of a demanding, full-time academic course load, I wanted to drop out, quit my job, and never look back. I completed large swaths of tasks in dutiful fashion until I rekindled a zeal for working, studying, and daily living. Afterwards, the obligations no longer burdened me. I wish I wasted less time wracked with anxiety about all the commitments and enjoyed every day more. I have learned for the future, but could have avoided great drudgery.

Shawna

Keep your head up and your eyes upon the Lord. This life is hard. People can be hurtful. One of the biggest obstacles you'll face is yourself and your own shortcomings. Everything can be a learning experience. As long as you're aware of and open to seeing your mistakes, you will continue to learn and grow from them, applying what you've learned to future experiences and situations. Be yourself, or rather, be who God created and called you to be. Many people are continually striving to be who society tells them they need to be. Stay true to yourself and the Lord though, and one day, people will start looking to you as a role-model and guide. You might feel like you don't measure up, or that you're not good enough. But just wait. Eventually they'll look up, and they'll see you for who you really are. They'll realize how beautiful you are, for you are God's child. They'll see how wonderful you are, but you know the truth - what they're seeing is really Jesus Himself living inside you.

michael

As a current college student I would go back and tell myself to relax when first coming into college and not overextend myself in clubs and other excessive activities. I would also say to take some time and find who you sincerely are as a person and to associate with others that you find share a common characteristic you find in yourself and want in others. Along with that I would also encourage myself to stay focused on courses and also find others who are also involved in their learning, beacuse that is what going to college is all about. Also I would stress the fact not to get too stressed about your future, because the future always changes and to have something you think is concrete could one day turn to puddy. Lastly I would suggest to focus on your weakest subject while maintaining your strengths to become a overall better student and person.

I would advise my high school self to apply for more scholarships and save more money. College is more expensive than I originally thought. I would also tell myself to be completely honest when taking the survey for the roommate assignment. Another piece of advice I would give is to work harder on my people skills. Not only will I need it for making connections in college, but also in the line of work for which I am in training. I would also stress the fact that taking dual credit classes is a very good idea; those classes count as college credits and are easier in high school. My final piece of advice would be not to worry as much and try to have more fun. However, I know what I’m like so I doubt I would listen to myself on that last bit.

If I could go back and give myself any advice it would be to study, study, study and then study some more. When I was in high school, I never thought to schedule a time to study, I just expected my mom to tell me when I should study. I was doing myself a disservice by relying on my mom to keep me motivated. I realize now that it is all on me to decide when and how much I need to study. And now that I am in college, I need to study a lot more and study harder subjects as well. If I could give advice to myself as a high school student, or any high school student, it would be to study in any free time you have and do not depend on other people to make a schedule for you.

Lidiya

I would tell myself to listen to my mom, she really does know better. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to ask questions and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Most of all I would tell myself to enjoy every moment of college life, because it goes by way to fast and at one moment I will really have to grow up and enter the real world.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself, first I would tell myself that everything is going to work out. I remember the consuming fear I had about choosing the right college, making new friends, and moving away from home. Therefore, I would consolidate my past self and tell her to hold onto her confidence and patience. I would admit the transition is difficult, but she has strength still undiscovered that will help her adjust. Next, I would tell her to stay strong and open her mind to the oppertunities she is presented with. Being an undecided senior, I constantly had other people pushing me towards making the decision they expected me to make. The stress was overwhelming, and I let it overtake me. I missed a lot of scholarship oppertunities and never decided a major. I entered college as an comfortably undeclared major. I never took up the oppertunities to job shadow around my community, go to career fairs, and research possible careers. This decision is my greatest regret. I was left trying to set up these oppertunities myself while also balancing my work and class load. Lastly, I would say, "Never lose faith."

Lauren, as a college athlete, your time is going to be limited. People have been telling you for awhile that things get busier in college, but none of them balanced a sport with classes either. It will seem overwhelming at first, but you can make it. Just get your priorities straight as soon as you get there. You are there to get an education and track is a bonus. Get school work before you go hang out with friends, because they eat up time quickly. You need sleep as an athlete too, so don't stay up all hours of the night. You can't study the same way in college as you did in high school. It's ok to study a week before a test, and it is highly encouraged. Don't procrastinate. It will bite you in the butt.

If I were to travel back in time and have an insightful conversation with my high school self, I believe I'd have much advice to give myself. Someone going to college can choose a couple different paths, they can be 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} fully dedicated to their education and study 24/7, they can party all the time making many new friends but do extremely poorly in their classes, or they can get involved in the fun and safe activities taking place on campus as well as spending ample time with their studies. That is the best road to take. Get involved as much as you can, meet new people, do fun things, however do not spread yourself too thin, and make sure you still have ample time for your education. When I first started, I wanted to be involved in everything, musicals, clubs, etc. and I held down two jobs and pulled good grades. Although that was a blast and I loved it, I was absolutely exhausted and stressed out. Therefore, my official advice would be encouragement to get involved with campus activities, however still make ample time for education and to not try to do too many things.

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school, I would give myself a few pieces of advice. First, I would tell myself to be prepared to study more than I think I should; college is a lot more challenging than high school so I need to do a lot more studying. My next bit of advice is to be a "social butterfly." In other words, I would encourage myself to meet as many new people as I could. The more friends I make will result in a more enjoyable college experience. Being outgoing and friendly in college will ultimately help in the future because it teaches me valuable social skills. The same goes for professors; the more I interact with them, the more likely they are to write a good Letter of Recommendation for me for graduate school. Also, I would tell myself to not be afraid to take risks. College is a time of exploration and finding who I am as an individual. Risks may lead to mistakes, but then I can learn from those mistakes. Lastly, enjoy every minute of it because it flies by fast.

Jasmin

Dear me, College is incredible, but it is also very difficult. High school prepares you for your classes and for living on your own, but it does not prepare you for the transition from high school to college. I need you to know that it is going to be so hard. Making friends is tough, having a stranger as a roommate is tough, and missing mom's home cooking is tough. You will feel alone at times and you will certainly be overwhelmed, but I need you to just keep stumbling forward. Fake a smile, be a little more outgoing than usual, and try something new. If you can struggle through the transition as if you know what you're doing, one day you will stop missing home and find yourself calling college home instead. It takes time, but I promise, it is worth the ride. Love and hugs, Me

I have completed my first semester of college. I wish I had known how difficult the courses were at college. If I were back in high school, I would take advantage of more college level courses that were offered. This would have prepared me for rigor and expectations of college courses. I would advise seniors in high school to develop better study skills. Learn how to study by breaking down textbook chapters and taking notes from the textbook and lectures. I would also suggest reviewing class materials and vocabulary throughout the course by establishing study groups with peers. Participating in class discussions is another great way of contributing to the class but also solidifying concepts and building a collaborative relationship with the instructor. Overall, I would suggest taking advantage of everything you can in high school to prepare for the college experience.

If I could, I would sit myself down and say, "Listen, college is going to be so incredibly difficult. I know you think you know how hard it will be, but you have absolutely no idea. For the first semester you will come back from class and you will cry. You will cry tears of frustration, tears of loneliness, tears of sorrow, tears heartache, tears of failure... You will call Mom and Dad and all you will do is cry. Speaking of Mom and Dad, this place you are so ready to leave, this home, this town, these people; yeah, you are going to wish you could go back in time and return to this place. You are going to look back and remember how happy you were and how simple life was. In college, you will be tested in so many ways. You will question your beliefs, your identity, and your strength. But you know what? You will grow so much! Through your struggles and your sorrow you will rediscover the world and more importantly, yourself. You will fail. Multiple times. But after your failures, you will succeed. And there is nothing more satisfying than that.”

The first piece of advice I would give to my high school self is to get involved when given the opportunity. So many of the friends I have made are through my work and the clubs I've joined. Clubs and organizations are a great way to meet people with similar views and interests. Another piece of advice I would give to my high school self is to not be afraid to ask for help, especially with homework. Professors are always more than willing to help students with any questions. Get to know your professors so you feel comfortable asking them. Also, tutors and friends are always available for help so don't be afraid to ask them either. The first test in any course is always a little hard, but once you get through that one and know where you are study wise, the rest is smooth sailing. Finally, take advantage of any opportunity given, whether it is an extra seminar or a leadership position or a fun j-term class. You never know how much you like something until you try it, so don't let those opportunities for new experiences pass right on by.

Alexzandra

Starting college classes was a shock. I had expected the transition to be easier because I had consistently taken college classes in high school. I was wrong. At home, I had a mother who told me to do my homework and a stepfather who told me when to go to bed. In my dorm room, there was no one but me. My classes were fast-paced and the teachers were unfamiliar. It was terrifying. I was completely unprepared for how much time that I had to spend studying. Now, I've never been a person for motivational speeches. They bore me, sounding overly rehearsed and insincere. That being said, I have always been one to rise to a challenge and perform well under pressure. I hear so many people say, "things will get better," or "just hang in there." That doesn't work on me. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it gets so much harder. I would tell myself to start developing good study skills and practice god time management, because after graduation, life gets much more complicated. This would have been my motivation.

Emily, don't play softball. Don't do it. Yes, it does pay for a huge part of your schooling, but you're going to feel owned. You're going to feel trapped. You're going to feel so stuck in something you don't want to do that it will drive you absolutely crazy, and you're going to hate the person you become. But do go to Augie. The friends you make are the best people you could meet, and I guarantee they will be by your side through everything. Plus, they like to prank people too, so you know it'll be fun. But if you take one piece of this away, just don't play softball. You're going to think that it would be waste not to play since you've been playing it since you were 6, but it won't be. You're going to learn that happiness and money are not linked. Softball may cover half of your schooling, but I promise that it definitely is not worth waking up, dreading your day, and feeling trapped and miserable every single day.

If I went back in time and talked to my high school self, I would give him this advice. Do not worry about yesterday's struggles, today's struggles, or tomorrow's mystery. Go with your friends and know that your life is shaped by the people you meet. Every person is different and sometimes you don't like to be hang out with them or be near them, but they can teach you the most about yourself. Sometimes, the person in the back of the room by himself or the person who you never talk to beside you can make the biggest impact on your future. It's because of others that you find yourself and your direction in life. Do not worry about the big things of the small things, but look to help others just as if it was you struggling. We all struggle and the best friends come from helping those that you help. They are true friends who will remember you for the rest of their lives. They tell you who you are and who you are becoming. The rest of your life you will be in situations that call you to be there.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a young and immature high school senior, the most important thing I would say is that high school was a breeze. Expressing this to my younger self would mean that I was able to prepare myself a little stronger not only mentally, but physically too. College is a grind and being able to realize the things that need to be done and putting your priorities in order will pay off when the year all comes to an end. Placing the academic and mental priorites ahead of being with friends or leisure is something we never would have to deal with in high school and is one of the hardest transitions I have had to make. Placing these priorities above others is what put me in the opportunistic setting that I have been lucky enough to be part of. Finding a routine is also a huge part of what makes a young college student successful. Also, learning to use the resources available such as study groups and the professors is a great habit to have.

Karlie

There is plenty of advice I would give to myself as a high school senior. The most important advice, however, would be to go into college and the transition with a completely open mind and an open heart. Nobody knows what exactly to expect while transitioning into college so hoping for the best, but expecting the worst is sometimes the best idea. I would also advise myself to be extremely outgoing and to break out of my shell early on. It makes finding friends and building relationships so much easier. Being very nonjudgemental towards others is also very beneficial in making the transition. It is so important to keep in mind that everyone struggles their first year of college and everyone handles the stress and transition in a different way. Therefore, one must be understanding, patient, and willing to lend a helping hand for anyone whenever needed. One last piece of advice I would give myself would be to remember that who you were in high school means absolutely nothing in college. College is a brand new start so take full advantage of the opportunity to recreate yourself and start fresh! Enjoy and don't stress!

The advice i give myself is to always work hard and put school work first to obtain a great degree to earn your career dream. Have fun and make it the best years of your life, but stay focused on the task at hand.

Andra

Take advantage of the opportunites presented. Making that transition to college can be stressful and scary, but it is important to put yourself out there to make sure your getting the best experience. I am a shy person; while I did participate in many of the events offered at school, I found myself holding back. I would go back and tell myself not to be afraid of the new and embrace the experiences. If you don't then you find yourself looking around alone. Make connections and try new things is my first piece of advice. When I leave college, I want to have fond memories and know that I experienced my time in college to the best of my abilites. Proritizing would be my next piece of advice. Wanting to make friends and fitting in is fine, but school work needs to come first. High school counselors and professors stressed the importance of making a schedual to manage study time. Get the work done first and then there is all the time in the world to make new friends and have a night out on the town. You won't miss out and school won't fall behind.

When I was 18, I would have been most grateful if a 25 year old version of myself came and gave me pointers on what to expect regarding college. Firstly, I would have told myself that being homesick is okay and even expected, but to stick it out. It does get better. I would then impress and double impress the importance of scholarships. Education is expensive. At 18 paying it back seems so far away and almost unrealistic, but alas, it is real. The less debt you have, the better off your future will be. Realize that you will most likely not have your dream job right out of college, maybe not even a decent paying job, so borrow accordingly. Finally, I would tell myself to take the first 2 years of school to decide what I truly want to do. Do not rush this decision, as it will be one of the biggest decisions of your life. After the decision is made, stick to it and pursue it with every good effort you have. Do not flip-flop and wonder if you made the right choice. Have faith that you did, and see it through.

kieu

High school is not a final destination in your life. College would be a stabe base for you to make a big jump in your life because you would be trained hard in college which gives you strengh knowlege for your future career. Attending in college might not be the most important, but it is the most necessary in your life. Enjoy the student life is the best experience ever in your life; you not only learn how to stand on your own feet but also be responsibility with your life and people around. College is a good enviroment for student to practice and learning becuase all rather sweat a lot on drill-ground than bleeding on the battle.

MARGOT

THIS MONEY IS ALL FOR MY STUDIES IN THIS COUNTRY.I WISH MAKE REALITY ,IS MY DREAMS.

Tessa

Go for it. Go with your gut. Don't worry if someone else in your graduating class is going to your dream school too. It is YOUR dream school and it is the right choice for you. Do not go somewhere just to make someone else happy. Also, be prepared for the schoolwork. A lot of time that gets overlooked when making college decisions, but make sure you are ready for the work load. But also understand that the more challenging the school, the better the benefits and the job you will get after you graduate. You will make friends and have fun wherever you go, trust me. College is college. You do not have to be 2,000 miles away from home to experience it. There is going to be partying and drugs and everything you do not want to think about right now, but you have to decide how you are going to handle it and where you are going to draw the line for yourself. Otherwise you will be overwhelmed and feel pressured. And most of all, do not let this scare you. It is going to be the time of your life - get excited.

First of all, know that everything is going to be okay. This transition will be a difficult one for you as you may not be as ready to leave home as others, but you will eventually be comfortable. I know your goal is to get a 4.0 in college, but change that so that your goal is to do your best. It's okay to get a "B" if you did your best, and getting an "A" in college is not as easy as it was in high school. Most of all, have some fun! Try your best to be open to hanging out with friends while also sticking to your morals. I promise, you are strong enough to not fall into the trap of alcohol and sex. I know it doesn't feel this way, but you have it more figured out than you think, and just remember what grandma always told you: "It'll be fine".

If I could go talk to my high school self, I would tell myself a couple of things starting with take more college credits in high school. I now see that taking more classes in high school that would count for college credit would save me a large amount of time and money. I would tell myself is to save my money over the summer. When I didn't need it in the summer, I didn't mind spending freely. However, I now regret many of my purchases and free spending. I would tell myself to save my money, because I will need every penny soon. Last, I would tell myself is to explore, but don't let my studies get away from me. Take classes out of my boundaries and be sure to socialize and discuss things with others ahead of me. Don't be shy, and be sure to ask questions if you have them. But don't allow your studies to take a back seat. Make sure they come first, and don't settle for less than your best. It's not the same as high school, so don't treat it as such.

kiara

I would tell myself to shoot for your dreams. Whatever you want, its yours. I would have went to my school of choice which is Miami Dade right away instead of waiting for so long. But, I believe everything happens for a reason and I am more ready than ever for this interesting and amazing experience!!!

College is different than anything you've ever done. It is not like the movies; yes, there are aspects that are very, very similar (the parties are INSANE! You will love them, but don't overindulge), but it isn't like how you think. You've committed to a school that is highly regarded in the midwest. You are highly regarded in your school and your community. You're a role model and know what it takes to excel in school and athletics. If you hear any of this, listen now: Neither give up, nor give in. You'll be culture shocked. You'll be academically tested. You'll doubt your athletic abilities. But behind all of this, good will persevere. You'll feel so alone and begin to believe that coming to this school was the worst thing for you. But believe me, it is actually the best. God knows what he's doing and he's completely in control. As soon as you trust in Him, everything in your unfamiliar and strange life will begin to feel familiar and completely normal. You will finally feel like Emily again, and with that comes happiness.

Audrey

Dearest Audrey, I know you better than anyone and love you in a way no one else can. I feel compelled to offer these words of insight. I have been there and done that, as they say. The future is not a place you are heading, but a place you create. You will never magically end up where you want to be or accomplish that list of “Before 30” that you wrote if you don’t plan. Dreams are attained and goals are accomplished by planning, organization, and perseverance. When you head out into the “real world” you must always keep your goals in sight. Fun need not be forfeited, but you must distinguish where your boundaries are immediately and commit to stick within them. Know that there is the daintiest, finest line between enjoying the utter beauty of the present moment and getting caught up and losing yourself in constant immediate gratification. Also young, sweet Audrey, don’t forget about your art. Creating beauty will provide you with a sense of completeness and create a space of retreat when school, love, and life get you down. Love, 30 year old Audrey who is just now returning to school

I would tell myself to buckle down and study, I blew off a lot of classes I had thinking it could be like high school. College is not like high school. Your teachers are there to guide you in the right direction of learning, but you need to tell yourself you need to study and ask questions. Assuming just going to class and taking notes is not going to get you a 4.0 gpa.

Ellen

I would give myself more confidence. As a high school senior I was scared to truly branch out and be adventurous and now I wish that I had. Also, I would tell myself to make these life decisions based on only what i want and not what others want of me.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy my last year of high school and make the most of it. I would say, "be yourself." The most important thing is to find and express yourself. Don't let other people stop you from being who you really are. People will judge you and talk about you, but that's just how people are. You can't let them get in the way of being true to yourself. I would also tell myself to be more confident. You need to realize that you can achieve anything if you set your mind to it. You will succeed as long as you try your best. Don't get down on yourself if you don't reach the high standards you set for yourself. You're trying your best and that's what matters the most. You will get knocked down, but you need to get back up on your feet. No goal of yours is impossible to reach. You will succeed and you will make something of yourself. Just stay true to who you are.

The biggest advice I would give my high school self is to keep looking for scholarship opportunities. Although it is perhaps the most tedious part of the transition, going to college is expensive and every little bit helps. Additionally, make sure in your classes you are learning to learn as well as learning to get good grades. Part of becoming an expert on something involves a progressive building of your knowledge that is easily sabotaged if you are not retaining information due to poor study habits. As an addendum, don't forget to be patient and pleasant when looking for friends in college; although they may not be present right away, if you continue to look you'll find the kind of people you are looking for.

Mandi

I would tell myself to calm down. It WILL work out, even if you are a little uncertain at the time of what the future holds. The possibility of choice is a gift, not a burden, and it is not something to get worried about. I would also tell myself to stop worrying so much about what other people think. I have really learned that this just puts the focus on myself, and I am wasting energy and time worrying about someone's thoughts instead of caring about them.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself, do not worry about the future or the past, worry about the present. I feel like I spent a lot of time overthinking what I did in the past and what I still had to do in the future, which created some hardships for the present. Once I got to college, I finally realized that all the worrying had done absolutely nothing for me. Now knowing this, I have learned that I need to focus on the present and the challenges that are presented in front of me. If I worry about things that I have no control over, they problems will just make the present worse. Knowing what I know now, this will help continue and finish my education at Augustana College in Sioux Falls.

Dear self, In order to better prepare yourself for college you need to be able to read quickly and efficiently. Read as much as possible! Do not read simple reads, but rather something that will challenge your intellect. In college you might need to read 200 pages in one night! That is insane to imagine as a high school student but trust me, it will happen. Read the book Mosaic of Thought, written by Ellin Keene and Susan Zimmermann, the methods will help. Practice summarizing and synthesizing information you have just read and monitoring your understanding while you read. Understand that going to a tutor does not mean you are stupid, it actually shows you are a responsible student. You are involved in almost every extracurricular activity there is to offer. Realize that in college you need hours dedicated to school work. You cannot be involved in everything you want, narrow it down to the ones you enjoy the most. Dedicate one hour of every day to do something you love, start everyday with breakfast, and you will be amazed at how much happier and less stressed you will be. Also, call your parents, they appreciate hearing from you.

Mikayla

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not stress out about college so much. I spent so much time worrying about whether or not I chose the right college and whether or not I would make friends and get along with my roommate and how I would adjust to the classes. I have learned, though, that college truly is what you make of it. I was worrying about things that were completely out of my control at that point in time, which wasn't doing any good. I stressed myself out to the point that I was actually getting sick months before I even moved in. If I had the chance now, I would tell my high school self that it's really not that bad at all. The classes are difficult, but they're definitely manageable. I couldn't have possibly picked a more perfect college for myself, and making friends happens naturally. I would just tell myself that everything is going to work out in the best possible way, so I might as well stop worrying and actually enjoy my senior year of high school.

Alexa

Looking back at what college has given to me I realize that I have gotten more than an education. If I could talk to my high school senior self I would definately tell myself to keep this in mind. The reason that you go to college is to get an education and to eventually enter the workforce. But what you may not know is that you are going to meet people from different cultures and religions, and you can learn so much from them. In order to really get the collegient expererience you must go with an open mind and a willingess to open up to people. Some of the most valuable lessons in college are life lessons, and there are many. It is also important to get involved with activities on campus and take pride in your school and the work that you do. Campus organizations are a great way to get involved, and they assist you in forming life-long friendships. Most of all, make sure that you stay true to yourself, work hard in everything you do, and remember to take time for yourself.

Stop stressing yourself out! Take your time making this decision and make it only for yourself. There is no great proven method to making the college choice because there is no way of knowing what you truly want in a college before you have ever attended college. With that in mind, keep your options open! You should really try to visit the schools of interest during the academic year and see what campus is like with students there. Do not be afraid to ask questions, talk to admissions, talk to students, sit in on a class and really get a feel for what going to this school would be like. Most imporantly, make a decision that you feel both comfortable and confident in; as long as you do that there is no going wrong. Besides, you are allowed to change your mind! Like mom always told you, use your best judgement.

Trust your judgement! You know yourself very well. The college search process is overwhelming and exciting. Place a high priority on visiting many schools with different programs and campus life offerings. You need to feel that you saw everything before you make your decision. Making the transition to college is scary, you are not the only person who feels the way you do. I suggest meeting your roommate before moving onto campus, you will feel much more relaxed if you have one person you know on campus before arriving there. Be outgoing! Do not turn down the opportunity to meet fellow classmates whether it be through an orientation activity, on campus entertainment, or a dinner out with your floormates or dormmates. You won't regret meeting too many people but you will regret not getting out there and making friends before everyone has their set group. Enjoy your freshman year! It goes by so fast. Be sure to take tons of pictures to look back on. One last thing, don't slack on your schoolwork! It is just as important as your social life. Ask for help when you need it! Good luck and have a blast!

If I could go back as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, I would give myself the advice that school that is the most important thing ever! I would also know that leaving school to work full time because the money is descent is not going to be the case for long and the labor tends to be tuff on the body. It is worth getting into school focusing on the goal of graduating and sticking with it. Another piece of advice would be that I need to be at every class everyday. I have learned that is the most succesfull part of college but when leaving high school everyone thinks I can miss class its college they dont take roll. Missing one class in college is equivilent to missing one week.

I know you enjoyed being super-involved in high school, but college is a bit different. There are plenty of extra-curricular activities to do, but don’t bit off more than you can chew; you will become overwhelmed. The activities that you do become involved in, be committed to; just don’t start off super-committed and then completely stop. You will miss high school initially…it was a good run, but college will vastly overshadow high school in opportunities/activities and you will really enjoy it. Your high school friends will move to distant places and even though you may not like it, your relationships with them may weaken; just stay connected with them. You will meet life-long friends here who are quirky just like you. Make good first impressions. Everyone is entering college alone and nervous; first impressions make a big impact, but don’t judge others. You will be pushed past your breaking point in some classes but you will survive. Your advisor may seem like he’s setting the bar high, but you will thank him; you will your own exceed expectations. Just remember: grades are NOT everything, friends and family are.

Cathryn

The first piece of advice that I would tell myself is to take more AP classes in high school because there are a lot of general classes that I could have taken in high school. If I had taken more AP classes, I would not have to take summer classes to stay on track to graduate on time. I also would tell myself to be more outgoing and not let the "little" things get me upset. I have learned in college that it is more difficult to be outgoing because everything is new. I was nervous to start college because I did not know anyone but once I started to be more outgoing, I made a lot of friends and I have been enjoying my college experience. The biggest difference from high school to college is not to let the "little" things get you upset. I know that I am going to make mistakes and I learned that I am growing from each one of them. It is important to not get upset from things that will not affect you in months or years to come.

Rylee

Looking back, through everything that I have done that has gotten me where I am, I would first tell myself to pay more attention in your math courses! You might think that you rock in math now but twelve years down the road when you have to take math classes over again you are not going to think that you rock and it is going to be harder for you. Pay less attention to boys and pay more attention to the WORDS that the instructor is saying. The final, last two, words of advice would be to get more involved with activities on campus and more so in clubs on campus. Those activities have possiblities to open doors that you would not think were possible. Also communicate with others. Find out the answers to the questions that you have and do not back down from finding out those answers. Ask as many people you can and search different possibililties. If you do not like the answer you get, ask someone else. Never give up! Keep going and do it with your shoulders back, head high, and with a swagger to your step!

Tony

Hello Tony. The future is one that will test you spiritually, physically, emotionally and mentally. You will meet people who inspire you to understand what faith and truth means through multiple perspectives of others and through the histories of others who have existed before you. You will get to understand what the freshman-15 is, but also understand the impact of leading a healthy, unselfish life as a consumer and world citizen on this planet of 7 billion. Emotionally, there will be times where you are so stressed and emotionally drained, you do not know what to do. However, you will learn the value of naps and time management, which will lead you to form a successful and efficient schedule for your soon to be busy life. Mentally, you think you know what you are doing, but the reality is, you don't! You will be tested mentally to adapt to a new influx of knowledge and ideas which you will struggle, but ultimately succeed if you keep your hardworking ethics up. At the end of the day, don't forget your kindness and compassion towards others. Be patient and don't make things difficult. Cherish life and knowledge. Tony

Emilia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to really do a lot of research on what the best college would be to go to. You spend a lot of money for college, so you don't want to waste your money or time at a college that's not right for you. Augustana doesn't have a good photography program, that's what you will want to do with your life later, so look into a school that DOES have a good photography program. Work hard in college and don't focus so much on your social life because it's not as important as your education. You're smart enough to do anything you want to do for a living so go out there an make the most of your experiences and work hard! You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it!

luis

I will talk about the great responsability that the college need, and to be pacient and do the best. I will give the advice that take all with entusiam and enjoy the road, because the life in the college is very great and unique.

If I were to go back to high school today there are a couple pieces of advice I would give myself. The first being the way I studied. Going through the transition of college is different for every person, but for most it is challenging. When it came to studying that was the biggest transition I had to go through. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taught myself better studying techniques to get me even better grades in high school and better habits in college. Another piece of advice I would give myself is enjoy life because the things you experience now you mostly likely will not get to experience again. I would tell my high school senior self that time goes by faster than I could imagine, and that I should make the best of it while making the best choices for myself.

Jenifer

If I could talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would say, "Take more AP classes; I know they're hard, but starting off college with a few credits under your belt is nothing to complain about. Get involved with school more: participate in more clubs, attend more football games. Support your friends, no matter where they decide to go to college. It's going to be hard leaving your friends and seeing them leave you, but it will be worth it--for you and for them. " My final piece of advice would be, "Don't be so hard on yourself. Mistakes are a chance and a challege to learn from, so it's okay to make them every once in a while."