Sioux Falls, SD

Augustana University

« See more reviews of Augustana University

The first thing i would say to myself would be that college is very important if you want to be successful in this world. I would say that goingto college right out of high school is what should be done. Do not procrastinate or wait 10 years like I did. I put my dreams on hold to ensure someone else's happiness and that is not a great idea. Education should come before any man/woman. Some learn that the hard way and the 2012 me learned it that way. As a high school senior, you have your whole life ahead of you so do not rush it and try to grow up so fast. You should enjoy and embrace the college life and get yourself established and graduated before trying to please others. The high school "me" is still very passionate about helping others before myself as is the 2012 "me", but you only get the opportunity to endure all that college has to offer if you choose to better your education and make a life for yourself.High school senior "me" needs to take care of herself first and others last and remember that dreams do come true.

Knowing what I know now about college I would tell my high school self to enjoy the high school years. To have fun with friends and learn how to make relationships work, along with doing well in school. In high school I was focused on school work and had very few social skills. I was shy and awkward and had no friends in school. I didn’t know what college would be like or what it took to get into school. I didn’t very much outside of school and experienced little. When I graduated high school my life changed dramatically. I had a terrible family incident and tried to adjust to that while attending my 2nd year of community college, (I attending running start the previous year). I ended up dropping out of school and for the first time I began to socialize with people. I spent the next 5 years finding out what friendship was and dated for the first time. I feel like if I had learned those skills and spent some of my high school years having fun then I would have been more ready for what the world is like outside of home.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would remind myself that plans change and that this is not a bad thing. It's not that no one has ever told me that plans can change during college, I simply never gave the concept much thought. As a high school senior I thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life. However, when I entered college last fall I decided to change my major within the first week of classes. It was kind of a nerve wracking experience, full of uncertainty and anxiety. I had no idea what I might want to go into, but I knew that my current major just wasn't right for me after all. So, I decided to switch to an undeclared major. Here I am now, half way through my freshman year, still undeclared and completely content. I?ve realized that I have time to figure out what I?m interested in pursuing. Though I made it through the transition from "declared" to "undeclared" major it would have been helpful to remember from the start that this change is fairly common for new college students.

What I have gain from my college experience so far has been a renewed thirst for learning and confidence in myself. Going to class every day and learning new things, as well as the details to things that were skimmed over in high school has sparked much curiosity in me throughout the past few months. I want to learn more and more about the things my professors teach, and have started to do outside research on subjects that really catch my attention to gain more knowledge. I have been putting my fullest effort into understanding the new concepts that are being presented to me, and the more I understand, the more I want to learn. I feel more confident than ever now that I have been putting in hard work and it has been paying off. By doing well in school, and becoming a more aware and knowledgeable person, I feel more confident in myself when faced with challenges. College has lead to numerous obstacles and challenges, and by overcoming them I now am more confident in my abilities to overcome obstacles that may still arise.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not stress out about college so much. I spent so much time worrying about whether or not I chose the right college and whether or not I would make friends and get along with my roommate and how I would adjust to the classes. I have learned, though, that college truly is what you make of it. I was worrying about things that were completely out of my control at that point in time, which wasn't doing any good. I stressed myself out to the point that I was actually getting sick months before I even moved in. If I had the chance now, I would tell my high school self that it's really not that bad at all. The classes are difficult, but they're definitely manageable. I couldn't have possibly picked a more perfect college for myself, and making friends happens naturally. I would just tell myself that everything is going to work out in the best possible way, so I might as well stop worrying and actually enjoy my senior year of high school.

Upon attendence to Augustana College, I would consider myself a bit immature. Just as most high school seniors are, I had no idea of what the "real world" was all about. I came to a religious based, private school with the idea that college consisted of what was portrayed in the movies: drinking, partying, and girls. How wrong I was. After the first month, I realized that school and faith was much more important than any good time that could be had between the hours of 3:00 PM Friday afternoon and 9:00 Sunday morning. I developed a relationship with my parents that words alone cannot describe. I learned a lot about myself as a person, my strenghts and weaknesses. I because more family oriented not only with my family, but with Christ's family as well. I quit living only for the weekends, opened my eyes, and began to take in my surroundings. Along with all of that, I found out what a tredmill was, lost 40 pounds, and began eating healthier. All of this can be attributed to Augustana College and its amazing community.

I am finding that my college experience is valuable because of the recession we are currently in. My parents both work. However, my father is our primary "breadwinner". He builds and remodels homes. However, due to the decrease in jobs in our area this area of work is not producing much of an income. Our county consist mainly of lumber and paper mills. Both of which have been decreasing, terminating jobs and even shutting their business' completely. The ripple effect this has had on everyone from producers and suppliers to contractors and people simply trying to survive has become a problem. If no other good has come out of this, my understanding the importance of a good college education has. Most of the people with what seems to be steady jobs here are in education, medical, or court fields. I am beginning to focus in on the different degrees in education. Please consider me for this scholarship. I am trying to help my parents pay for my college to lessen their stress and worry as well as build my future.

College is not just about the studies, it's about life. Who knew that there was more to history than just facts and figures or that the Lutheran Reformation was so interesting? Besides sparking an interest in these subjects I am fascinated how a government course can be connected to a religion course, which can be related to a history course, and so on. I found out that tackling people in a rugby game is fun and that jumping out of a plane is amazing. I found my best friend, learned how much my family means to me (especially when I don't see them for months at a time), and realized how much life costs. In short, college has been valuable to me because it taught me about life. There is so much more than just getting a degree so I can get a job. I would have never gained the knowledge or experienced the things that I have without college. When I am old and decrepit, I will be remember the people I met, the places I had gone, the experiences I had, and how I grew as a person. In short, college taught me to live.

If I could speak to my high school self I would advise him to not treat the advice of my high school teachers as a bother. I would advise him to take school seriously and apply myself so that I wouldn't be without direction when I entered college. There are ver important lessons that are to be learned by having a job at a young age such as networking and dealing with people in the workplace. These are things I struggled with when entering college and adapting to the lifestyle of being an adult. There is no one in college pushing you to succeed but yourself, and that is the biggest failed assumption that I made. In high school if you were failing a class, the teacher would tell you daily to do better, attend class more often or whatever your academic fault was and they would advise you on how to progress and succeed. In college you have no limitations, there is no one fixing your mistakes for you or telling you what your next move should be. College was the first step, for me, towards my maturity as an adult.

The experiences that I have gained and the people that have come into my life are what I have gotten out of my college experience and why it has been valuable for me to attend. By working my way up to a leadership spot on my on-campus job I have gained the experience that gives me the confidence to be in charge of others and working through different situations that occur. The people that have come into my life such as the positive role models I have found in my advisor and other professors have such a positive influence in my life and help me with deciding what classes I should take and reinforce that the faculty at college really cares about who I am as a person. My friends, co-workers and other peers are highly valued to me. They have inspired me to be a better person and to try my hardest in everything that I do in life. There are also there when I need someone to talk to or hang out to take a break from school. Getting these two things out of my college experience is why is has been valuable to attend.