Sioux Falls, SD

Augustana University

« See more reviews of Augustana University

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college, I would tell myself quite a few different things. One of the things I would tell myself is to keep an open mind about new and different people. My high school is about 100% white, so going to college and seeing people of different backgrounds was very interesting. Keeping an open mind and accepting others that are different is one of the things that I would tell my high school self. The other thing I would tell myself is to be prepared to make new friends. When you are in high school, it is hard to think of a world outside of high school. When you go to college you meet new people and try new things, which is exactly what I did and is something I would tell myself in high school if I had the chance. There are many important things that I would like to tell my high school self, but keeping an open mind and trying new things are the two that have made the biggest impact on me so far in my college career.

Looking back at what college has given to me I realize that I have gotten more than an education. If I could talk to my high school senior self I would definately tell myself to keep this in mind. The reason that you go to college is to get an education and to eventually enter the workforce. But what you may not know is that you are going to meet people from different cultures and religions, and you can learn so much from them. In order to really get the collegient expererience you must go with an open mind and a willingess to open up to people. Some of the most valuable lessons in college are life lessons, and there are many. It is also important to get involved with activities on campus and take pride in your school and the work that you do. Campus organizations are a great way to get involved, and they assist you in forming life-long friendships. Most of all, make sure that you stay true to yourself, work hard in everything you do, and remember to take time for yourself.

Keep your head up and your eyes upon the Lord. This life is hard. People can be hurtful. One of the biggest obstacles you'll face is yourself and your own shortcomings. Everything can be a learning experience. As long as you're aware of and open to seeing your mistakes, you will continue to learn and grow from them, applying what you've learned to future experiences and situations. Be yourself, or rather, be who God created and called you to be. Many people are continually striving to be who society tells them they need to be. Stay true to yourself and the Lord though, and one day, people will start looking to you as a role-model and guide. You might feel like you don't measure up, or that you're not good enough. But just wait. Eventually they'll look up, and they'll see you for who you really are. They'll realize how beautiful you are, for you are God's child. They'll see how wonderful you are, but you know the truth - what they're seeing is really Jesus Himself living inside you.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a young and immature high school senior, the most important thing I would say is that high school was a breeze. Expressing this to my younger self would mean that I was able to prepare myself a little stronger not only mentally, but physically too. College is a grind and being able to realize the things that need to be done and putting your priorities in order will pay off when the year all comes to an end. Placing the academic and mental priorites ahead of being with friends or leisure is something we never would have to deal with in high school and is one of the hardest transitions I have had to make. Placing these priorities above others is what put me in the opportunistic setting that I have been lucky enough to be part of. Finding a routine is also a huge part of what makes a young college student successful. Also, learning to use the resources available such as study groups and the professors is a great habit to have.

If I could go back into time and talk to my high school Senior self I would tell him "You have a long road ahead of you," and "to be successful in college you have to WANT to be there." You need to be motivated and have a drive to succeed. I did not have these qualities when I first started my college career back in Fall of 2007, I was flunking classes and eventually dropped out in 2009, which i know know was not the best of choices. Now I am paying the price financially and academically. I have to pay for my next couple of semesters out of my own pocket. My grades and GPA have much improved, but it is hard to get scholarships because my transcripts alone are red flags to most scholarship committees. So if I could go back I would tell myself, “You deserve more in life than what you think you do. Do not settle for what is given to you, you have to strive for more. It’s going to take hard work and determination to get where you want to be, it will all be worth it in the end."

College is an experience like no other. You literally GROW UP. There's no more bells to tell you when to go to the next class and you set up your schedule; you are basically in charge. However, I didn't work hard my first year of college. To be completely honest, I didn't even try to go to class or get my work done on time. I thought that I was this big shot who didn't need to listen to "boring" lectures from monotoned teachers. But, I was wrong. The moment I realized I needed college and an education was during the summer of 2010 when I was 3 months pregnant. I thought to myself, "Do I want my child to suffer knowing that I didn't work hard for an education? That maybe later on if life, I cost myself the most important thing in the world?" My answer was "No." The reason why attending college has become so valuable is because I not only have to do this for myself, but for my son. I want him to be proud of me when he grows up, and I too, want to be proud of myself.

My first semester at Augustana has been a learning experience. The course content not only challeneged me; it fascinated me. During the past months I have been pushed, probed, and captivated. I surprised myself in my abilities to be pushed to my limits and come out on top. Augustana has provided me with a renewed ambition and desire to learn. My desire to learn goes beyond just career preparation, I value the education I am receiving at this school and am eager to continue this journey. Another important aspect about Augustana College is the professor/student relationship. I am more than just a number in the classroom. I am a student that the professor wants to get to know and help succeed. I am not just another student, I am a part of this collegiate community. There is a sense of belonging and community at Augustana College throughout all the students and professors. They are my family. Thanks you for your consideration, Tabitha Sanderson

If I could go talk to my high school self, I would tell myself a couple of things starting with take more college credits in high school. I now see that taking more classes in high school that would count for college credit would save me a large amount of time and money. I would tell myself is to save my money over the summer. When I didn't need it in the summer, I didn't mind spending freely. However, I now regret many of my purchases and free spending. I would tell myself to save my money, because I will need every penny soon. Last, I would tell myself is to explore, but don't let my studies get away from me. Take classes out of my boundaries and be sure to socialize and discuss things with others ahead of me. Don't be shy, and be sure to ask questions if you have them. But don't allow your studies to take a back seat. Make sure they come first, and don't settle for less than your best. It's not the same as high school, so don't treat it as such.

If it were possible to travel back in time and converse with my former self, I advise her to never place restrictions on herself. I would tell her to never be afraid to speak her mind in classes, even if she is the only freshman. Throughout my freshman year in college, I have more often than not been the youngest and most inexperienced member in the classroom, and because of this I have talked myself into inadequacy and silence. This is not the proper response. I wish I had realized sooner that even if I were to speak up and be incorrect, and least I learned; at least I gained the ability to verbally synthesize my thoughts and share them with a group. I wish I never would have let fear of rejection based on my gender or self-perceived ignorance create in my mind a sort of deficiency in insight, becasue it is simply not there. My past-self would benefit greatly from the warning to not let anybody, even oneself, make you feel unworthy or inferior.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy my last year of high school and make the most of it. I would say, "be yourself." The most important thing is to find and express yourself. Don't let other people stop you from being who you really are. People will judge you and talk about you, but that's just how people are. You can't let them get in the way of being true to yourself. I would also tell myself to be more confident. You need to realize that you can achieve anything if you set your mind to it. You will succeed as long as you try your best. Don't get down on yourself if you don't reach the high standards you set for yourself. You're trying your best and that's what matters the most. You will get knocked down, but you need to get back up on your feet. No goal of yours is impossible to reach. You will succeed and you will make something of yourself. Just stay true to who you are.