Sioux Falls, SD

Augustana University

« See more reviews of Augustana University

The first piece of advice that I would tell myself is to take more AP classes in high school because there are a lot of general classes that I could have taken in high school. If I had taken more AP classes, I would not have to take summer classes to stay on track to graduate on time. I also would tell myself to be more outgoing and not let the "little" things get me upset. I have learned in college that it is more difficult to be outgoing because everything is new. I was nervous to start college because I did not know anyone but once I started to be more outgoing, I made a lot of friends and I have been enjoying my college experience. The biggest difference from high school to college is not to let the "little" things get you upset. I know that I am going to make mistakes and I learned that I am growing from each one of them. It is important to not get upset from things that will not affect you in months or years to come.

My experience attending College has helped open up a whole new world to me. I was floating along in life working as a seasonal worker in National Parks and not really caring about where i was going or heading in life. I kept saying to myself that i was not meant for college. Well, 2 years ago i met my wife and she has changed my whole outlook on education and on what i can accomplish. Starting college for me was scary. I had been out of the education side of life for so long. I entered college at 31 years of age. All of my friends had been done since they were 23 or 24. So i am 8 years behind everyone else in my life. What i have gained in being in College is a sense of self worth, that i can be someone of importance someday. I may not be a head of a company or change millions of lives, but i know that with the education i am getting, that i will be able to change and maybe make some mark on the world in a good way.

Emily, don't play softball. Don't do it. Yes, it does pay for a huge part of your schooling, but you're going to feel owned. You're going to feel trapped. You're going to feel so stuck in something you don't want to do that it will drive you absolutely crazy, and you're going to hate the person you become. But do go to Augie. The friends you make are the best people you could meet, and I guarantee they will be by your side through everything. Plus, they like to prank people too, so you know it'll be fun. But if you take one piece of this away, just don't play softball. You're going to think that it would be waste not to play since you've been playing it since you were 6, but it won't be. You're going to learn that happiness and money are not linked. Softball may cover half of your schooling, but I promise that it definitely is not worth waking up, dreading your day, and feeling trapped and miserable every single day.

I would tell myself not to take the first year after graduation off! The smartest decision you can make is to register for school and start right away in the summer. You will have all the time in the world to have fun and be an adult. Get school out of the way now and by the time you're 19yrs old you'll be done and working in your profession and building a future. Taking the year off you will lose sight of your goals and school will no longer be a priority. You may get yourself into a situation that becomes a new priority because you have to think of someone else. Trust me, you will regret your decision later in life if you choose not to go and hopefuly when the time comes your obstacles won't be larger and more difficult to overcome. In 11yrs you will be an established cosmetologist with a great and brighter future ahead of you! Don't stop now, keep your momentum, and stay motivated. You can do it!

I would tell myself that it's ok to fail. College isn't for everyone which is ok but once you make it through I think i'll feel fully rewarded. Sometimes it's hard to adjust not only are you alone without your parents so you are basicallly on your own but the school work will be like nothing you've ever seen. Sometimes the pressure will get to you and you'll break down and fall behind but as long as you keep working hard you will be successful. My first semester of college was not me best academic year, in fact it was my worst ever but this semester I have done much better. The only reason I learned this was because I had "failed" first semester but I got back on track. People say you need to study and work hard and you hear that over and over but the only real way to learn it is to experience the failure and that's ok. You have to push forward though because it will pay off if you work at it.

I have completed my first semester of college. I wish I had known how difficult the courses were at college. If I were back in high school, I would take advantage of more college level courses that were offered. This would have prepared me for rigor and expectations of college courses. I would advise seniors in high school to develop better study skills. Learn how to study by breaking down textbook chapters and taking notes from the textbook and lectures. I would also suggest reviewing class materials and vocabulary throughout the course by establishing study groups with peers. Participating in class discussions is another great way of contributing to the class but also solidifying concepts and building a collaborative relationship with the instructor. Overall, I would suggest taking advantage of everything you can in high school to prepare for the college experience.

As a current college student I would go back and tell myself to relax when first coming into college and not overextend myself in clubs and other excessive activities. I would also say to take some time and find who you sincerely are as a person and to associate with others that you find share a common characteristic you find in yourself and want in others. Along with that I would also encourage myself to stay focused on courses and also find others who are also involved in their learning, beacuse that is what going to college is all about. Also I would stress the fact not to get too stressed about your future, because the future always changes and to have something you think is concrete could one day turn to puddy. Lastly I would suggest to focus on your weakest subject while maintaining your strengths to become a overall better student and person.

I would recommend seriously looking at the school before you commit. Stay a weekend, don't just take the word of your tour guide as gospel truth. Take a tour and feel the campus, look at the reputation of the school's program at potential grad schools. Look at the things important to you: community involvement, financial aid, sports...and then be involved in them! Don't rush into a decision on college, and don't decide on one based ont he opinions of anyone but yourself. It is your life, and you will have to live with this decision for the rest of your life. Make it something you will love and which will fit you exactly. There is a college out there for everyone. Interview students who go there and get their real, down to earth impressions of the school. Make your life there worth it by doing the things you love and enjoying your youth.

College is a time of self-discovery, learning, and making connections. When searching for your college, it is important that you go somewhere you can call home. It is essential to feel at home at your educational institution. Your college is the place where you will grow and learn, and therefore it is important to know that your college will provide you with the opportunities needed to prepare you for your future. When you begin your time at college, it is important to get involved in activites that interest you. It is through these activities that you will meet your friends and will establish connections with the community. Take classes that challenge and stretch your ability to learn and your desire to discover new talents. As long as you enjoy your time in college, you will get the most out of your college experience.

The most important advice that I would give myself is to be able to manage my social time with my school work time. I would have to say that I had really good study habits while I was in school, but another important advice I would of given myself would of been to read more. There is so much reading in college that I feel is overwhelming sometimes and if I would of taken the time to read more in high school I probably would not mind reading as much in college. Another tip I would have given myself would to be more open-minded with activities and school related events. Being so closed-minded all the time, allowed me to miss some of the fun experiences of college. From all of the advice that I would of given myself, the most important advice are managing time, reading skills, and most of all being open-minded.